Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

https://software.opensuse.org/

this site is amazing, and if you find a package you just scroll down til you find the link to install it for your distro.

Yea I always wanted to use Tumbleweed, but it's really a nontrivial task to convert over my very stable systems. If I get a new Thinkpad I could replace the Manjaro i3 I put on a t470, which was a 1 click insta install for an i3 that is already very polished, god I am so over trying to rice up an Arch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

arch is fine if you don't mind spending all day googling to install it, and then spend a few hours every month googling to fix it. I enjoyed that kind of thing back in the day, and its why I am good at googling these issues, but nowadays I just want something that holds my hand, so I use OpenSUSE. Between YaST2 and whatever that online database of every package ever is called the only thing I want for is a laptop I didn't already nuke

When I installed arch, the live usb installation image came with and autoenabled critical things that I needed for networking by default. Then, I found out that the actual installed system did not even come with any of those critical networking packages.

I think this causes new arch users a lot of grief, because most other distros automatically install a networking package as part of the installation procedure for you so that you can immediately connect to ethernet or wifi. In arch, you have to do this manually while still booted into the live usb environment, and there aren't explicit commands in the arch wiki installation guide that tell you step-by-step which packages to install. So a lot of newbies will treat the arch wiki installation guide as a step-by-step command guide and consequently miss these details, and then wonder why they can't connect to the internet. Then, they will ask on forums for help, and snarky advanced users will say "rtfm" instead of pointing out or explaining exactly where they went wrong :shrug:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There is a step for that https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Network_configuration

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

The Gadfly posted:

I think this causes new arch users a lot of grief, because most other distros automatically install a networking package as part of the installation procedure for you so that you can immediately connect to ethernet or wifi.

Yes this was really bad because, at least in my experience with WIFI, none of the suggested routes would function correctly so I was digging down into option E through the list of wifi enablers

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

That's just the hostfile. You need to install the actual networking packages you need before that.

The actual step is in the line:

quote:

• software necessary for networking,

Which has a hyperlink, but I think a lot of newbies probably miss this part because it's not an explicit command that they can just copy paste

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Cheese Thief posted:

Yea I always wanted to use Tumbleweed, but it's really a nontrivial task to convert over my very stable systems. If I get a new Thinkpad I could replace the Manjaro i3 I put on a t470, which was a 1 click insta install for an i3 that is already very polished, god I am so over trying to rice up an Arch.

Honest question - what’s notable/interesting about running OpenSUSE?

This is the one corner in my, admittedly small, view into *nix users that actually talks about OpenSUSE. But none of the other various Professional Computer Toucher communities I’m involved with have ever mentioned even a passing interest in using OpenSUSE.

Just curious what folks like about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

rufius posted:

This is the one corner in my, admittedly small, view into *nix users that actually talks about OpenSUSE. But none of the other various Professional Computer Toucher communities I’m involved with have ever mentioned even a passing interest in using OpenSUSE.

SuSE is the german equivalent to RHEL, and OpenSuSE is basically fedora, but they have YaST2, which is an amazing all in one, ncurses based(there is an x version too) system configuration utility. loving thing will set a new server up as an LDAP server with convenient menu driven interfaces. Its a cheat code for linux, but it still lets you get into all the configs without any more pain than RHEL family. Oh, and as a distro SuSE has the same kind of corporate backing as RHEL, and so is very well done. its also thorough as gently caress about everything

Its not real big because of that german origin. for a long time there was no support in english, so you were stuck trying to figure out german language forums if anything suse specific went wrong.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The appeal of Arch is being able to cherry pick what packages you want. The installer gives you everything needed to accomplish this. The reason I use Arch is because I'm able to quickly install only what I need and no more.

Complaining that the base package doesn't come with your favorite wifi networking client, or any other package, is kinda missing the point.

I think new linux users end up with Arch and these issues with installation because of the memes or taking bad advice from people who know better than to recommend it to new users. Anyone reading the installation guide and paying attention will be fine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tjones posted:

The appeal of Arch is being able to cherry pick what packages you want. The installer gives you everything needed to accomplish this. The reason I use Arch is because I'm able to quickly install only what I need and no more.

Complaining that the base package doesn't come with your favorite wifi networking client, or any other package, is kinda missing the point.

I think new linux users end up with Arch and these issues with installation because of the memes or taking bad advice from people who know better than to recommend it to new users. Anyone reading the installation guide and paying attention will be fine.

so you agree that the problem isn't actually arch, its people recommending arch to new users?

because I think thats the core of most peoples objection to it. people keep recommending it to new users, who either give up on linux because its too hard, pick up bad habits of copy/pasting(which an above post just kinda accepted was the right thing to do, highlighting the problem), or happen to be in the 1% of people who want that level of complexity and total immersion right off the bat. This means only 1% of the time was it the right choice, and that 1% is guaranteed to distro hop their way to arch eventually anyway, because thats what that kind of person does. its why I have built a gentoo server, and have experience in hating debian, and have a powered down esxi server full of creative attempts at poo poo sitting in my closet.

just stop recommending it, ffs, lol

E: I also don't recommend SuSE to newbies for the same reason in reverse. its too easy and you don't really learn anything about the underlying system until it breaks and you dunno wtf. always configure your first few LDAP servers by hand

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, minimal debian install is like 400 megs unpacked, but it ships with working networking and isn't arch so yeah, i'm definitely missing its point

IMO arch's place in the world is what gentoo's used to be. it's popular enough that it has a well travelled wiki, and also lovely enough that said wiki has an article for any linux problem you've ever encountered :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

minato posted:

the time in the prompt is when the prompt was displayed, not when you executed the command, right?

Yes, but (at least in zsh) you can have it update the prompt just before the command executes in basically any manner you want.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's not difficult to understand, but I do think that having time as part of the prompt is distracting as it seems like it'd be a value that's more or less constantly changing?
Part of it, too, is that I have [HH:MM] in the tmux status bar, up at the top of my screen - so I merely have to glance up there.

I don't have current time in my prompt, because tmux handles that for me too -- it's "time prompt was displayed" and then "time command was executed" is added as well just before command execution.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ToxicFrog posted:

Yes, but (at least in zsh) you can have it update the prompt just before the command executes in basically any manner you want.

I don't have current time in my prompt, because tmux handles that for me too -- it's "time prompt was displayed" and then "time command was executed" is added as well just before command execution.

I'm really starting to think I might want to start using a tmux shell

tjones
May 13, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

so you agree that the problem isn't actually arch, its people recommending arch to new users?

just stop recommending it, ffs, lol

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone new to unix based systems, no. Anyone looking to learn linux? Possibly, if I thought they were serious about it and already had some technical know-how.

Someone closely following the guide and taking the time to read, research, and understand each step before progressing to the next is different than someone looking for a one click installation solution, which is where I believe all the complaints of "I installed it now but how do I wifi!?!" come from.

Truga posted:

i mean, minimal debian install is like 400 megs unpacked, but it ships with working networking and isn't arch so yeah, i'm definitely missing its point

IMO arch's place in the world is what gentoo's used to be. it's popular enough that it has a well travelled wiki, and also lovely enough that said wiki has an article for any linux problem you've ever encountered :v:

My arch install script includes all the packages I need, including my preferred networking clients. I've built my install by hand over the years the way I like it. Installing a prebuilt and then having to modify by adding or removing packages is actually more work. You prefer debian. Thats cool. I like Arch.

RFC2324 posted:

Tmux is great. I highly recommend it but more for its multiplexing abilities. Headless sessions are useful.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

tjones posted:

I agree with you even though my post probably came off as hating arch. Actually, my daily driver is arch, and I love using it. I just think that it's not for complete newbies or those that would rather only use linux than learn about it.

I prefer picking the packages I need, and I don't even like desktop managers which almost always come preinstalled on other distros. I just use i3 without a dm instead.

Maybe arch could include a script in the installation image to pacstrap stuff like the networking package as a cli prompt to make the installation process more automated. But then again maybe it's better to not make the arch install newb friendly as manjaro and other distros already have this covered.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, for all the poo poo Arch is getting. My experience installing my variant here was better than the last time I installed Ubuntu like half a decade ago, even with the smarmy power users on the distro's forum.

I couldn't even get my Ubuntu install last time to connect to the internet so gave up after a couple of days.

This time it also didn't nuke my bootloader when I did a dual boot!

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 25, 2021

tjones
May 13, 2005

The Gadfly posted:

Maybe arch could include a script in the installation image to pacstrap stuff like the networking package as a cli prompt to make the installation process more automated. But then again maybe it's better to not make the arch install newb friendly as manjaro and other distros already have this covered.

I agree on all points. I also think Manjaro is a bit of a mistake as a lot of times it is passed off as "arch but for new guys" and you get people who end up in the same boat when something goes wrong.

You can easily write a script file yourself to install all your packages you want after you've installed base. Theres no need for the arch boot system to include it as it would just complicate things. If you already have an Arch system setup, the following commands are helpful:

'pacman -Q' will show all installed packages
'pacman -Qe' will show all explicitly installed packages

Read the man page for pacman for more query options as you can get fairly granular results for what you want to return. Then you can use that to generate a list of everything on your current system for whatever purpose you need and add that to your backup scripts.

For instance, I use this to dump all of my explicit packages and redirect it to a file. My backup script runs this command and includes the file in my archive so I can easily see what was installed when and I can pull that package list to then build a new install from if needed.

code:
pacman -Qe | awk {'print $1'}
Arch is what you make it. And for people who like everything to be a certain way (and their way), it's definitely one of the best starting platforms to use.

EDIT: Since I'm offering advice in regards to pacman, if you were to do something like what I do above, I would suggest also checking for orphans anytime you reinstall from a static package list. Orphans occur from time to time in Arch and its worthwhile to check for and remove any packages if they are no longer needed:

quote:

pacman -Qdt

tjones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 25, 2021

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm here to tell you that dnf (Fedora) and apt (Debian/Ubuntu) can do all those things as it relates to manually and automatically installed packages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

waffle iron posted:

I'm here to tell you that dnf (Fedora) and apt (Debian/Ubuntu) can do all those things as it relates to manually and automatically installed packages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zypper is quite good too φ(゜▽゜*)♪

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Package management has come a long way in the last twenty years. I recently watched this video and was reminded of my attempts to install Debian 2.1 or 2.2 on a Packard Bell computer in 1999 or 2000. (The CDs were burned on an external parallel port CD burner connected to a Dell laptop of that era.) dselect and x86config can burn in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQCcvFUzrg

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

waffle iron posted:

Package management has come a long way in the last twenty years. I recently watched this video and was reminded of my attempts to install Debian 2.1 or 2.2 on a Packard Bell computer in 1999 or 2000. (The CDs were burned on an external parallel port CD burner connected to a Dell laptop of that era.) dselect and x86config can burn in hell.

slack, from floppy, in 1996

tjones
May 13, 2005

waffle iron posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My point being that Arch's base package group that is installed on installation contains a total of 27 packages.
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/any/base/

It has been years since I've used Fedora/RH/Centos and I've only used Debian in Ubuntu desktop distros in the last 10 years. Do either's minimal install option get as lean as that?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

tjones posted:

My point being that Arch's base package group that is installed on installation contains a total of 27 packages.
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/any/base/

It has been years since I've used Fedora/RH/Centos and I've only used Debian in Ubuntu desktop distros in the last 10 years. Do either's minimal install option get as lean as that?

I prefer to have a system that can do things, but point taken?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

tjones posted:

I agree on all points. I also think Manjaro is a bit of a mistake as a lot of times it is passed off as "arch but for new guys" and you get people who end up in the same boat when something goes wrong.

Yeah, going from a gui one-click install process to trying to chroot into your system to fix some specific issue without a gui must be jarring.

tjones posted:

For instance, I use this to dump all of my explicit packages and redirect it to a file. My backup script runs this command and includes the file in my archive so I can easily see what was installed when and I can pull that package list to then build a new install from if needed.

Thanks for the tip. This seems useful.

My tip for backup-related stuff is to just have all your configs hard linked to a git repo. So whenever you change a config, it automatically gets reflected in that repo, and then you just need to commit the changes. You can even incorporate this (using git diff --exit-code as the conditional to check for changes) into your backup script, so that you don't have to manually commit changes. The rest of my backup script are rsync commands for the normal backup process. I think a lot of people already use git for easy access to their configs though, so it's not anything too insightful.

tjones
May 13, 2005

waffle iron posted:

I prefer to have a system that can do things, but point taken?

Arch is an easy way to LFS without having to spend time compiling things. My system does everything I want and only includes what I need.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

waffle iron posted:

This experience, or one like it, but with the added problem of issues with the documentation, is why I ended up on FreeBSD.
Long story short, I was looking into installing Linux in late-1999 and complaining about it on IRC.
So a friend printed the FreeBSD Handbook and burned FreeBSD 4.0 to CDs, gave me both, and I never really looked back.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, for all the poo poo Arch is getting. My experience installing my variant here was better than the last time I installed Ubuntu like half a decade ago, even with the smarmy power users on the distro's forum.

I couldn't even get my Ubuntu install last time to connect to the internet so gave up after a couple of days.

RIGHT. When I dual booted Ubuntu + Win10, Win10 updated itself like it will do then just decided to format all my Ubuntu bootloaders, just randomly ruined my Ubuntu install al on it's own, I was pissed off and deleted Windows in a rage to never look back.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

rufius posted:

I like rolling distros, so Tumbleweed ticks all those boxes for me while also have the Suse name, which is more respected I'd reckon than Arch in an enterprise world.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

RIGHT. When I dual booted Ubuntu + Win10, Win10 updated itself like it will do then just decided to format all my Ubuntu bootloaders, just randomly ruined my Ubuntu install al on it's own, I was pissed off and deleted Windows in a rage to never look back.
Yep, this is complete and entire bullshit, and Microsoft honestly ought to get sued for anti-competitive behavior over this (and many other things, let's be honest - even if the EEE days are over).
The trick to avoid this is use multiple drives if possible, because then you can put EFI PE32+ binary images on each drive so that you simply select which drive to boot from.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Cheese Thief posted:

Been using dual boot for a while now and grub failed me a few times back then but haven't got me any problems in the last 2 or so years I think?

What do you guys think the average computer toucher level is to recommend a build yourself distro for beginners? People new to linux structure and terminal will very likely go in blind and gently caress up, you could say they gotta be motivated enough to get through the hurdle but people who are interested in learning might not necessarily need that level of control for their intended uses anyway.

For someone with a clear objective looking for a specific functionality, sure, it's better to put it together and leave it stable, but for "getting to know" linux i'd say a beginner is better off making a separate home partition and installing something that mostly works out of the box like Mint, Ubuntu or Pop! and start playing with it, and if it breaks you just reinstall and keep your user data.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Re: SUSE chat - thanks for responses. That helps!

I mostly use OpenBSD and Ubuntu LTS but next time I’ll try out OpenSUSE.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bagual posted:

Been using dual boot for a while now and grub failed me a few times back then but haven't got me any problems in the last 2 or so years I think?

What do you guys think the average computer toucher level is to recommend a build yourself distro for beginners? People new to linux structure and terminal will very likely go in blind and gently caress up, you could say they gotta be motivated enough to get through the hurdle but people who are interested in learning might not necessarily need that level of control for their intended uses anyway.

For someone with a clear objective looking for a specific functionality, sure, it's better to put it together and leave it stable, but for "getting to know" linux i'd say a beginner is better off making a separate home partition and installing something that mostly works out of the box like Mint, Ubuntu or Pop! and start playing with it, and if it breaks you just reinstall and keep your user data.

I'm not sure I know what distro meets this, but imo the ideal beginners distro would have a guided installer(not one click), and mostly work in that stuff won't be broken, but will still be rough enough to encourage you to poke around.

This is distinct from the distro you want to inflict on your mom/boss/other non-toucher, which should really just work and look/feel smooth.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I've moved my whole family over to Ubuntu with KDE and they have had very little problems adjusting.

If you show someone how to open a browser, calculator, notepad, and Libre office, most will do fine. Anyone with a habit of poking things or touching the settings for no reason will break any OS, IMO.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tjones posted:

I've moved my whole family over to Ubuntu with KDE and they have had very little problems adjusting.

If you show someone how to open a browser, calculator, notepad, and Libre office, most will do fine. Anyone with a habit of poking things or touching the settings for no reason will break any OS, IMO.

Some OSes hide the buttons that can do that better than others, which the core of the arch philosophy is to draw big flashing arrows pointing them out and saying "fiddle with this!"

Which is not bad! It's just not good for Grandma.

And KDE really is the best DE imo. Its just super flexible and can be pretty af, as osx demonstrates.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

RFC2324 posted:

I'm not sure I know what distro meets this, but imo the ideal beginners distro would have a guided installer(not one click), and mostly work in that stuff won't be broken, but will still be rough enough to encourage you to poke around.

This is distinct from the distro you want to inflict on your mom/boss/other non-toucher, which should really just work and look/feel smooth.

I believe it's not either/or but more of a spectrum, someone who has a clear goal and needs linux would undoubtly benefit from configuring the install. Someone whose objective is "getting to know linux" for the first time out of interest would be better off starting from the inside of a easy stable distro and go for something with a little more control when they know what they want, and in my experience they'd just go whatever seems like default for everything in a guided install anyway. But i'm just a advocate for learning by breaking i guess, ymmv.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nitrousoxide posted:

If anyone cares, I finally got SS13 working by following this guide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/jqkovw/a_stepbystep_guide_on_running_space_station_13_on/

Not the best performance, but waaaaaay better than doing it in a virtual machine.

I'm late to the party but going to agree with other posters and nth the Fedora recommendation. You seem like you're getting by and enjoy the tinkering (based on not giving up), so I don't want to discourage you from continuing with Arch, it can be a great OS. Despite that every hardcore nerd I've known, yours truly included, has eventually gotten sick of the constant tinkering with Arch. If you get there consider Fedora, I am a heavy gamer and do a lot of messing around with linux for work and play on most distros and I have found Fedora to be the sweet spot of latest kernel (so mainly hardware compatibility; AMD drivers in your case) and package versions to poo poo breaking arbitrarily. It's very easy to get a gaming fedora rig up and running these days as well with RPMFusion (community repo of non-free or license restricted packages, more pacman less AUR). Pick the spin of Fedora (they default to gnome, please use anything but gnome) you want, install RPMFusion repos, install steam and optionally nvidia drivers from RPMFusion, go hog wild with bleeding edge stability. They also default to BTRFS as of Fedora 33.

Also you're probably aware but if not check out https://www.protondb.com/, it's a wiki for linux game compatibility with steam (proton) and will tell you at a glance how much of a bumpy ride or not you're in for with any given game, and what fixes you can do to get them running.

That being said the Arch wiki is generally the first place I go to for any Linux questions, it's mostly universally applicable and quite excellent. Gentoo and OpenSuSE also have excellent wiki's.

RFC2324 posted:

I've started using it regularly and haven't found it useful as a shell replacement -- to many little gotchas I don't like that I maybe could fix but we all know how these things go... That said it's excellent for long running tasks, much better than my usual
code:
nohup ./do-farts.sh &

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm not exactly sure when Ubuntu became a heaping pile of poo poo but... well here we are.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This experience, or one like it, but with the added problem of issues with the documentation, is why I ended up on FreeBSD.
Long story short, I was looking into installing Linux in late-1999 and complaining about it on IRC.
So a friend printed the FreeBSD Handbook and burned FreeBSD 4.0 to CDs, gave me both, and I never really looked back.

But I can't do video games on FreeBSD :downs:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bagual posted:

I believe it's not either/or but more of a spectrum, someone who has a clear goal and needs linux would undoubtly benefit from configuring the install. Someone whose objective is "getting to know linux" for the first time out of interest would be better off starting from the inside of a easy stable distro and go for something with a little more control when they know what they want, and in my experience they'd just go whatever seems like default for everything in a guided install anyway. But i'm just a advocate for learning by breaking i guess, ymmv.

I personally learn by breaking, and pushing unlabeled buttons is how I learned linux. Its not for everyone, and I have reached the point that I don't want normal every day use to be a learning experience anymore.

There is an underlying attitude that anyone wanting to learn linux wants to learn the inner guts(because the people already in the community take that for granted) but that excludes the vast majority of normal users. For most users 'learning to use it' is figuring out how the menus work, maybe getting advanced enough to figure out how to adjust the resolution. Gotta ask if we want to shut those people out by assuming everyone is technical enough to go look up patches in a wiki, and other tasks that normal users would consider onerous.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tjones posted:

A long time ago, I gave my parents my old Dell Dimension Pentium IV with Ubuntu 6.0 on it. My mom complained that the coupon printer wouldn't work but she got the digital camera working on her own. They used that up until the HD puked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm quite interested to see what comes of helloSystem, in terms of something that grandma can use.
It's made by the person who made AppImage, and seems to have come very far in a short amount of time, so assuming it keeps up the progress, it might go places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm not exactly sure when Ubuntu became a heaping pile of poo poo but... well here we are.

I don't remember exactly but I think it was somewhere around 2009-2010.