Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
obviously

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

darkgray posted:

I've been enjoying Ougon no Keikenchi quite a bit. It's like a blend of Bofuri and Kumoko, where a girl starts a new VRMMO and stumbles over an extremely efficient way to gain experience points. Eventually she becomes so powerful that other players start mistaking her for a raid boss NPC, and she decides to go along with it.

Starts out a bit slowly while she's alone and exploring the game system, but once she bumps into other players, it picks up speed, and around the middle of the second Event (ch90-ish) it finally hits its stride. It's especially amusing reading the "forum thread" chapters, where all the other players theorise about what this strange monster's motives might be, and what the game designers could have been thinking, etc.

The author's publishing content at breakneck speed, with decent length chapters almost daily, which has resulted in roughly 5000 pages in less than a year since it started. I found it when it was making quite a buzz in the 5ch recommendation threads, so maybe it'll be one of the new big Narou titles soon.

Bit weird to be quoting my own post perhaps, but I noticed the fan translation for this title seems to have reached a section that might actually hook readers a little, if someone's curious to check it out: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/golden-experience/

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Beware of Chicken on RRL is an enjoyable read for anyone looking for something new.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I recently read the first two volumes of Cinnamon Bun and if you are scarred by bad web serials (or bad things happening in your favorite serial's characters) go read this.

I won't say it's good, but it's fluffy and happy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Fluff is a different story entirely.

Dead Tired is my favourite RavensDagger story at the moment, I just can't get enough terrible skeleton puns.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Beware of Chicken on RRL is an enjoyable read for anyone looking for something new.

Thank you for this! Only a couple chapters in so far but can't stop laughing.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39408/beware-of-chicken

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kyoujin posted:

how many more stories are people going to post where sinister forces are after the protagonist's magical cock

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Cynic Jester posted:

This is really good and lighthearted fun. Recommend to everyone.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

darkgray posted:

Bit weird to be quoting my own post perhaps, but I noticed the fan translation for this title seems to have reached a section that might actually hook readers a little, if someone's curious to check it out: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/golden-experience/

This is interesting (I'm 28 chapters in now). But man, the main character is kind of... cold? That might not be the right word, since she's a lot nicer to NPCs than everyone else, but at least she reminds me of "rationalist" fiction. Her whole spiel about how a gamey inventory function being commonly available would destroy society was so bizarre that it was just funny to read. I guess it works out since she's contrasted with the other human players in the two side stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can never take vrmmo stories that have npcs who can recognize player weirdness but have no built-in context for it seriously. like a player levels up and a nearby npc freaks out because of how impossible that is. why

it gets even weirder when the npcs are either functionally or explicitly sentient because what the heck is the point of that? there was one wn i read some of where npcs were sentient and could feel pain, but the actual game was so lovely that the best way to get exp was mass murdering npcs (who did not respawn). somehow, no one except the mc ever realized that these screaming suffering murder victims were screaming suffering murder victims. it was such dumb bullshit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kyoujin posted:

It's amusing, yeah. It also seems be being posted in a thread on Questionable Questing. There is a lot of discussion there, if you're into that.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it gets even weirder when the npcs are either functionally or explicitly sentient because what the heck is the point of that? there was one wn i read some of where npcs were sentient and could feel pain, but the actual game was so lovely that the best way to get exp was mass murdering npcs (who did not respawn). somehow, no one except the mc ever realized that these screaming suffering murder victims were screaming suffering murder victims. it was such dumb bullshit.

there was that one where actually the "VR" was telepresence to another planet, and the "game developers" presented it as a game for nefarious purposes. and then all the players hosed everything up constantly. humans are so evil, maaaaan.

i think there's actually a couple where the "VRMMO" is actually interactions with another world somehow? or in "Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki" as far as i could tell it was trying to imply that the NPC AIs were for an actual AI development project, and the game was there to... i don't know, socialize them or something.

in this one (golden experience i mean) the NPCs and PCs are mostly indistinguishable, but nobody's mass murdering them much. one of the side characters is pals with a dracula NPC. pretty good imo. actually this is pretty good in the sense that it has the usual turnaround where the main character is taking all these "evil" or "dark" skills like necromancy, but she's not being particularly evil in using them so it doesn't come off as grimdark silliness.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
There is also that really dumb story that manages to switch between interesting and the dumbest paragraph by paragraph.
Where the MC comes from an ultra abuse orphanage(tm) and ends up in some experiment for VR that secretly transports their souls to another planet and humankind is imperialistically exploiting that other planet through the VR gear somehow. And the hero gets a super rare monster form and is also super weak. And she creates an anti-slavery uprising of nonhumans. And becomes some kind of god fairly quickly.

it is this one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/apotheosis-of-a-demon-a-monster-evolution-story/?pg=8

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
yeah that's the one i was thinking of with telepresence. gently caress if i can remember the deets.

it is sort of interesting that some of the authors of the reincarnated as an inhuman whatever stories come off as deeply misanthropic. it's like a power fantasy of abandoning your humanity and then killing everyone

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
There's Galactic Dark Net. Do not read Galactic Dark Net.

Unless you want to read one of the most hilariously bad pieces of fiction ever written, with an equally hilariously bad ending.

Evey single thing from the start to the end was a slow trainwreck I could not put down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that one was funny for a while because it relied on the mc being some random goober who knew what the titular galactic dark net was, but then it immediately changed from being common knowledge to a complete mystery to everyone else in the universe. no one could figure out where he kept getting stuff from!

i love garbage wn's even though i rarely finish them, but i cannot handle so-called 'infinite' webnovels. those would be the crossover fan fiction stories, where some gormless loser starts entering western movies or stealing objects or abilities from them and whatnot. i've started a few lovely wn's that i didn't know were infinites and then dropped them when it became clear. i'm not sure if this is standard to the genre or just an odd coincidence, but every one of those wn's revealed itself by dipping into the movie van hellsing. of all things, van helsing.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can never take vrmmo stories that have npcs who can recognize player weirdness but have no built-in context for it seriously. like a player levels up and a nearby npc freaks out because of how impossible that is. why

This is basically the premise for Prophecy Approved Companion (not a MMO though). It's from the POV of a NPC's view of the player character. It's quite funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most recent abject failure of human creativity i've been reading is doomsday online: supreme blessing. the basic premise is a standard time leap power fantasy, though there seems to be absolutely nothing that even vaguely warrants the online part of the name. it's defining quality is when 'oh no, this monster has a power level of 20!' the mc immediately gains a power level of 50,000. and it keeps going like that. it's the dumbest, most childish garbage. then, to make it very clear that the author is either a teenage nerd or has the maturity of one, it starts with the high school poo poo. every single male teacher and student associated with the school is a cowardly murderous rapist and every single female teacher and student is a hapless saintly victim turned adoring follower after the mc flexes his power levels.

that's the story. the mc endlessly and effortlessly acquires vaguely described overpowered crap every five seconds while making smug teenage edgelord remarks about how he's too cool to ever help anyone. highly insulting caricatures of male authority figures wail and moan in the background about how they hate him for being so cool and smart and strong. heavily idealized caricatures of every woman the author's ever shared a sidewalk with are likewise left swooning by how deep and mature and strong he is. those he deems to be sluts are then kicked away.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Mages are too OP is the most frustrating vrmmo WN to me because its very clearly not actually VR and the mystery of what exactly is going on is quite compelling and the way in which players are generally sort of at odds with but also significantly weaker than the entrenched power structures of the 'game world' is pretty great, but it is buried in an awful translation and just, piles of wish fulfillment garbage time

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I kind of like Overgeared as a vrmmo novel because the designers accounted for the people playing the game being able to do things that in game AI's can't, and even giving in game AI's ways around players logging out etc. I wouldn't call them NPCs because the characters all have motivations and even personalities and do poo poo on their own.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Anzrel posted:

Heyo everyone. Author of Forge of Destiny here. I know my works been discussed a few times in this thread and others, so I thought I'd put out notice here. In addition to publishing the first portion of Forge of Destiny in e-book format with some more editing and touch ups over even the royal road version. I've also been picked up by an audiobook publisher, and said audiobook, narrated by Natalie Naudus will be up on December 22 if you have an interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8175Z1

Sorry in advance if this isn't the appropriate thread for this kind of thing!

Took me a while to get around to reading Forge of Destiny but I loving loved it. It's notably slower paced than the usual sort of webnovel wuxia stuff and manages to use that pace well. It really breathes the cultivating aspect of cultivation in a way that even Cradle sort of dances around with its lightning-fast pacing and advancements. It kind of reminds me of the first arc of ISSTH but written well so there's actual suspense and poo poo.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Is there a good primer somewhere that I can read on how Cultivation works? So far, the things I've been stumbling across that use it as a theme treat it like it's something I should already be very familiar with as a genre convention.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

maltesh posted:

Is there a good primer somewhere that I can read on how Cultivation works? So far, the things I've been stumbling across that use it as a theme treat it like it's something I should already be very familiar with as a genre convention.

Try this: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/page/general-glossary-of-terms

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You eat magic pills and meditate to rank up your Qi to the gold star murder hobo level so you can gain access to a new population to slaughter.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nalin posted:

You eat magic pills and meditate to rank up your Qi to the gold star murder hobo level so you can gain access to a new population to slaughter.

This right here,

It does vary some from novel to novel on the particulars

Some settings you must survive lightning bolts being chucked at you from heaven to level up, in other settings it only happens at particular stages or not at all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Y'know, I've never personally had that much trouble puzzling out what's going in these stories.

So, like, there's this mystical energy suffusing the universe. Or maybe it is the universe. But it's out there, and if you know the trick you can reach out and touch it, and take it into yourself. And this makes you a punch wizard. Then, if you punch wizard hard enough, you might just achieve such a spiritual oneness with the universe that you can remake yourself utterly and become a living god. Sometimes a thundercloud picks a fight in the in between.

And so far this is fine, centrality of punching aside this is basically every system of occultism ever imagined.

There's a bunch of jargon for the nitty gritty of punch wizardry and enough ranks and gradations between points A and B to make a game designer blush, but a lot of it maps pretty directly to western fantasy concepts. Your spiritual arts are spells, spell formations are like magic circles, etc.

But then you get to "sword intent". And I'm just like what. What the gently caress is a sword intent. No one ever explains sword intent. It's not even on this list:

So if you squint at it long enough you might decide that it's kind of like killing intent- a thing you "know" about from watching too much anime- but with swords instead of killing. Only it seems to be a lot more substantial than even a telepathically active bloodlust. You can run out of it, for one thing, and you have to grow your reserve slowly, over years. A lot of the time it seems to be treated as a sort of super-Qi, powering the most potent of punch wizardries. It seems to have a mind of its own, and you can give it orders and send it on missions. It gets stuck in wounds and hangs around the place cutting people millennia after the original sword intender is dead. And so on.

I think at this point I have a pretty good handle on what sword intent "is", insofar as I can list off a set of traits I expect it to have and rarely be surprised by it, but I'm still completely befuddled as to what it, y'know, is. If anyone does have a good understanding of the concept, please do not tell me. I enjoy the mystery.

Anyway, xianxia is basically this K6BD page but without the old woman standing at the side, going, "Y'all are dumbasses, what really matters is noodles."

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 25, 2021

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^that's a good master

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Sword intent is when you're the bone of your sword.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sword intent is when you sword so hard that onlookers are very impressed by it. there's no point in swording that hard without an audience.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
The way I see it, "sword" is basically an element, but it's weird because it's manmade. A sword is a tool - tools are made for a purpose, and sword cultivators are cultivating that purpose. The regular elements aren't for anything, they don't have purpose. Sword ki inherently has a purpose, thus "intent".

Metal qi can make sharp objects you can use to cut somebody, sword intent cuts on its own.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Weapon <intent/essence/soul> is a translation thing. In most of this mythology it’s helpful to remember half the time you’re looking for farming or place-as-person metaphors. Think about the adjacent concepts of kami, or other spirits inhabiting stuff (everything has its own) and it makes more sense to “cultivate” (ie grow or tend) your own sword intent/essence/soul.

This essentially means the punch wizard is a farmer, with his own internal field in which he has chosen to grow swords by watering his “fields” with the energy of the heavens.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is sometimes literal

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Oh absolutely. Never assume subtlety when you can churn an extra thousand words with explicit farming descriptions!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks for reminding me I should eventually read k6bd.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

maltesh posted:

When I first started reading cultivation stories, I bounced around a lot trying to find something that made sense.

Forge of Destiny was the first one where cultivation mechanics clicked for me.
Cradle is pretty good at this, but it also has a drastically simpler set of mechanics than most cultivation stories.
Cultivation Chat Group does a good job too, and is closer to most other cultivation stories as well.

Coincidentally, these are also the three best cultivation stories, so you should start with them anyways. Do stop reading Cultivation Chat Group whenever you get tired of it. Once it starts annoying you, it never gets better, only worse. Everyone's personal breakpoint for the story comes at a different place.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My Disciple Died Yet Again is also another good one. It also riffs pretty hard on the genre because the protagonist never really gets into the cultivator mindset (it's an isekai story where the protagonist clings to their morality) and dodges some standard tropes because she's basically being a troubleshooter. I read it before I really got into cultivation stories and it still holds up. It does kind of drag after a certain point and loses the plot a bit afterward.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I kind of felt the opposite about Cultivation Chat Group: it only really comes into its own a few hundred chapters in (with the tractor race). I still catch up with it every six months or so. There are some boring parts and some unfortunate offensive jokes in there, but the benefit of an extremely long webnovel is it can genuinely surprise the reader and make them laugh with a ridiculous callback to something that happened six hundred chapters ago.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Anzrel posted:

Heyo everyone. Author of Forge of Destiny here. I know my works been discussed a few times in this thread and others, so I thought I'd put out notice here. In addition to publishing the first portion of Forge of Destiny in e-book format with some more editing and touch ups over even the royal road version. I've also been picked up by an audiobook publisher, and said audiobook, narrated by Natalie Naudus will be up on December 22 if you have an interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8175Z1

Sorry in advance if this isn't the appropriate thread for this kind of thing!

The gently caress’s our moon T. Rex yrsillar :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

The gently caress’s our moon T. Rex yrsillar :argh:

In your heart all along naturally.