Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nuclear subs have been maintained and resupplied at Devonport in the past, it's just not much use for staging and maintenance of the missiles and IIRC doesn't have the facilities for refuelling because of lack of space.

The big advantage of Faslane is it's remote enough that it's easy to spot the bloke in the big furry hat with a pair of binoculars looking in, and that subs can submerge deep enough almost immediately after leaving their berth to make detection tricky for any subs lurking around outside waiting to track them, and they also have multiple possible routes out.

Devonport is overlooked by multiple commercial and residential tower blocks, meaning the bloke with the binoculars can do his stuff in central-heated warmth, leads out into shallow waters and has basically only one route out (and is also at least a day's sailing from the GIUK Gap, which is the main area we want our subs in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just in case it hasn't already been posted, extreme levels of UKMT energy

https://twitter.com/tytonidaeus/status/1353322080360685568?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The big advantage of Faslane is it's remote enough that it's easy to spot the bloke in the big furry hat with a pair of binoculars looking in
What's Jay Kay up to now?

e: ^^ I approve of all that other than Wallace being middle class. He's definitely not precariat, but I always read him as more "union job making test instruments for 40 years, then got a final salary pension after the factory closed and now probably has opinions on Triumph vs. Norton" working class.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 25, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this guy just got sacked for this racist rant. priti patel can be insanely racist but they'll always hate her

https://twitter.com/IamStrappa/status/1352988197542887425?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

He's Antifa now

https://twitter.com/Jimllpaintit/status/1347584067877924873?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Last I saw, someone had nicked his hat and was waving a megaphone about in the Capitol building.

(Aside: how come people started calling that guy a 'shaman'? Anyway. I digress.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Aside: how come people started calling that guy a 'shaman'? Anyway. I digress.)
He started calling himself the Q shaman around the time he got a bunch of very sus tattoos and probably did DMT or watched a bunch of poo poo podcasts about doing DMT.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nuclear subs have been maintained and resupplied at Devonport in the past, it's just not much use for staging and maintenance of the missiles and IIRC doesn't have the facilities for refuelling because of lack of space.

The big advantage of Faslane is it's remote enough that it's easy to spot the bloke in the big furry hat with a pair of binoculars looking in, and that subs can submerge deep enough almost immediately after leaving their berth to make detection tricky for any subs lurking around outside waiting to track them, and they also have multiple possible routes out.

Devonport is overlooked by multiple commercial and residential tower blocks, meaning the bloke with the binoculars can do his stuff in central-heated warmth, leads out into shallow waters and has basically only one route out (and is also at least a day's sailing from the GIUK Gap, which is the main area we want our subs in).

Well it definitely does do nuclear refuelling and the missile / torpedo store can be elsewhere (as per the HMNB Clyde / Coulport separation).

It's a good point about security / secrecy, though not sure that's a dealbraker. Last time I was at Garelochhead camp I headed up onto the hill in a white van to get some mobile signal. Shortly afterwards I was surrounded by armed police because it turns out they do actually watch their security cameras and spotted a couple of shifty looking guys conspicuously doing nothing overlooking the naval base. There is a specific parking space with a viewing area onto the base further up, though.

Weirdly the most secure place I've been into was a sub-compound within a RAF base that does some technical training. Scanned and searched for phones and that kind of thing. Way more thorough than Clyde or SF bases.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Took me a while to realise Q Shaman was supposed to rhyme with QAnon, because American is the worst language

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Took me a while to realise Q Shaman was supposed to rhyme with QAnon, because American is the worst language

How do you have to say them?

Cue-sh-ah-maaaaahn, Cue-aye-naaaaahn?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be fair getting hosed up on hallucinogens is glossolaliating is probably the best way to channel qanon.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

To be fair getting hosed up on hallucinogens is glossolaliating is probably the best way to channel qanon.

Have you ever taken drugs before, what kind and in what dose

how high did you get and could you tie your own shoelaces whilst you were proceeding on the drug

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

I honestly cannot figure out how that is meant to work.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

Some Tory MPs kicking up a fuss so of course he's bottling it and going to get a ton more people killed

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1353649558367166464?s=19
turning a big dial taht says "Covid deaths" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been entirely sober my entire life except for the one time they shot me up on morphine in hospital.

But I imagine that hallucinating is a lot like the qanon nonsense.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I've been entirely sober my entire life except for the one time they shot me up on morphine in hospital.

But I imagine that hallucinating is a lot like the qanon nonsense.

Wait, you've never smoked a joint or got drunk before?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

this guy just got sacked for this racist rant. priti patel can be insanely racist but they'll always hate her

I'm almost more shocked by the reaction of the other person in the video. It's more "what are you like you daft prick" than "what the gently caress did you just say on social media you utter bellend?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I honestly cannot figure out how that is meant to work.

Kinda like Keith Lemon doing his problematic Michael Jackson impersonation - "Sha-mone"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

meh, its not an inland loch surrounded by mountains with immediate access to the Altantic and Artic circle. Plus in the event of a nuclear accident (very likely because its the British Navy lol) some English people might die, and where would Tories take their holidays then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

Wait, you've never smoked a joint or got drunk before?

Alcohol makes me more depressed than normal if I drink more than one and nobody's ever offered weed, never felt the desire for it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OwlFancier posted:

Alcohol makes me more depressed than normal if I drink more than one and nobody's ever offered weed, never felt the desire for it.

What about Mandy and Charlie?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just in case it hasn't already been posted, extreme levels of UKMT energy

https://twitter.com/tytonidaeus/status/1353322080360685568?s=19

Wallace is absolutely packing.

He's also had a few jobs in the films, he's been a window washer, a baker and a pest-controller at points.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I live in Plymouth and we'd hardly notice a meltdown. There's already a load of decaying subs leaking radio isotopes parked up here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What about Mandy and Charlie?

Never met them but I'm sure they're nice folk.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

you need to smoke a bong or something mate

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Can't wait for Kieth to employ him as Red Wall Strategy Director.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

this guy just got sacked for this racist rant

Solidarity with Priti Patel.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

stev posted:

I'm almost more shocked by the reaction of the other person in the video. It's more "what are you like you daft prick" than "what the gently caress did you just say on social media you utter bellend?"

for every oval office like him that exists there are 100 like her who are all "omg you shouldn't say that!!! lol" rather than "you are despicable scum go and drown yourself for the benefit of humanity at large", in my experience

very local brexit news: i signed up for a couple of OU modules for something to do of an evening and weekend this year and i have learned delivery of my books is likely going to be delayed because materials delivered to NI are now subject to customs checks lol :manning:

has there ever been a country that has so blithely conceded part of its territory

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 25, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ash Crimson posted:

you need to smoke a bong or something mate

Nobody needs to smoke a bong. I like my vape and all but who gives a poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rip thatcher got blown up by the ira for nothing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier is the thread equivalent of a control group and we should all treasure them for that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
bong :rip:s for thatcher

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

OwlFancier is the thread equivalent of a control group and we should all treasure them for that.

It does feel a bit odd sometimes given that everyone else in the thread seems to be very into chemical alterations. Not having a reference point I don't know if that's just me being weird or whether the thread is more high than average.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

It does feel a bit odd sometimes given that everyone else in the thread seems to be very into chemical alterations. Not having a reference point I don't know if that's just me being weird or whether the thread is more high than average.

stuff like lsd and mushrooms tend to just make things a bit like looking through a kaleidoscope with colours and fractals everywhere and things sort of growing and shrinking slightly like clouds. lsd did make everything look kind of like i was in a cartoon once though

mdma is like the endorphin high just much stronger

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

This is his Instagram he's hosed, lmao

Actually laughing irl at the obligatory guy asking 'who's the girl' on a racist rant video

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 25, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Being able to stay sober just shows a strength of will most people don't have. Either that or you're a mental.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"I stand by what I'm say but I'm sorry". Has this upstanding gentleman considered a career in the Conservative party?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

stuff like lsd and mushrooms tend to just make things a bit like looking through a kaleidoscope with colours and fractals everywhere and things sort of growing and shrinking slightly like clouds. lsd did make everything look kind of like i was in a cartoon once though

mdma is like the endorphin high just much stronger

salvia feels like your face melting into the fabric of reality for 1000 years.

but in a bad way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

This is his Instagram he's hosed, lmao
I'm sorry that I suffered some consequences for my racist oval office behaviour that I still stand by.

OwlFancier posted:

I have not touched any kind of chemicals all year other than food and air and furniture and dubious foreign decongestants that are much better than the poo poo they sell here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If it helps, I think I've been drunk like three times in the last 12 months and haven't done any (non-prescription) drugs in something like a decade now - it's not a matter of willpower or self-denial on my part, just (to nick Dylan Moran's line) I'm at an age where if I want a dizzying high I just get out of a chair too quickly.