Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I'm just messing around in a generic modpack then I try to cram in the prefab mod so I can slap down some ranch house somewhere with a shaft down to Y=12.

I included Prefab exactly for this. :v:

Also my 'home' as it is is actually up on a hill overlooking this spot but there's still a lot I need to figure out before I can make anything that approaches looking nice with this.

This was largely the result of 'poo poo it's not going fast enough oh wait gears!' 'poo poo now it's going too fast for the crafter'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like we did the same thing Gwyneth Palpate did and managed to build our base on top of a stronghold on accident.

Nah, that's a mountain about a klick out from my base. It's just close to where the stronghold entrance is.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What hosts do people like to use for modded MC? I'm capable of handling enough linux to run things, but I'm wondering if a GCE instance is going to be more (and more expensive) than I need.

EDIT: Ok yeah GCE Instances are waaaaaay above some other very reasonable hosts. I think I am going to go with Winternode or Atlasnode.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 22, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty happy with Shockbyte. I've seen a bunch of hate for it, but it's served pretty well for my bigass packs, and I haven't really found anything similar for the same price that is reviewed better.

Again a note that I've only ever contacted support once and it wasn't really for something that ended up being on their end anyway.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 22, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH status: holy poo poo I need so much TNT

thank god you can make toluene from just oilsands ore and hydrogen

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, a new feature being developed:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

thank block jesus

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bear in mind that these are the super high tech ore scanners and that you can't get to them without sinking thousands of hours into the pacahahahaha i cheated mine in

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
does gregtech still think tedious = hard/challenge? Last time I played you had to make 3 different items just to make a basic pick axe.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

does gregtech still think tedious = hard/challenge? Last time I played you had to make 3 different items just to make a basic pick axe.

Basically, yeah. Though, with your example (in GTNH at least,) you can make a flint pickaxe more or less the normal way. Plus, TiCon is in the pack. The vanilla tools don't even work AFAIK.

I don't think a single one of us is playing this pack because we think GregTech is a fun, balanced mod. We're in it for the suffering. :unsmigghh:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Basically, yeah. Though, with your example (in GTNH at least,) you can make a flint pickaxe more or less the normal way. Plus, TiCon is in the pack. The vanilla tools don't even work AFAIK.

I don't think a single one of us is playing this pack because we think GregTech is a fun, balanced mod. We're in it for the suffering. :unsmigghh:

yea the only version i found fun was the incarnation on minecraft 1.4 or before you had to make copper machines to make a pickaxe, then when it went psycho i was like "lol no this isnt fun at all". Also IIRC ticon and gregtech had a tiff around this time because ticon let you by pass some of the bull poo poo of gregtech 4.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

yea the only version i found fun was the incarnation on minecraft 1.4 or before you had to make copper machines to make a pickaxe, then when it went psycho i was like "lol no this isnt fun at all". Also IIRC ticon and gregtech had a tiff around this time because ticon let you by pass some of the bull poo poo of gregtech 4.

The pack I'm playing uses GT5 Unofficial, which I understand is just a clone of GT4 by completely different people. I assume it's free of the insanity of the guy who originally made the mod. I figure it's a decent chance anyways.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The pack I'm playing uses GT5 Unofficial, which I understand is just a clone of GT4 by completely different people. I assume it's free of the insanity of the guy who originally made the mod. I figure it's a decent chance anyways.

It's a different kind of insanity but it has a more global appeal to the brain worms people like me who enjoy that sort of thing. Gotta think of it like Factorio in minecraft so all the intermediates are supposed to be a logistical/automation challenge rather than tedium.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Vanilla tools work but they're pretty bad by comparison.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Where the hell do I find just textures? I'm not interested in modpacks or anything like that at the moment. I just want the vanilla Minecraft experience that looks a little less like rear end.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The search term you want is resource pack. Some options here:

https://resourcepack.net/

Shader packs will also add things like better lighting and transparent water.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ugh, polyethylene

ugh

really highlights how you want to automate the lower levels of your production chains first!!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

bear in mind that these are the super high tech ore scanners and that you can't get to them without sinking thousands of hours into the pacahahahaha i cheated mine in

I managed to get by without cheating in a scanner for most of the LV era but looking for tetrahedrite broke me. There was only like one vein in a 13x13 chunk radius and it's mandatory for quest progression and battery crafting. Not to mention it only spawns in the Nether, which is a pain in the rear end to explore.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ugh, polyethylene

ugh

really highlights how you want to automate the lower levels of your production chains first!!

Yeah polyethylene really demands that you make a bunch of machines just to make it. Though you can siphon off some of the products at some points, like divert some ethylene to a tank for use making other chemicals.
There's three production methods for polyethylene:
1, oil -> sulfuric light fuel (via distillery) -> light fuel (chemical reactor, using hydrogen) -> severely steam cracked light fuel (chemical reactor again, using steam, will need a fluid canner to put either steam or light fuel into a can for the recipe) -> Ethylene (distillery) -> Polyethylene (chemical reactor, using oxygen or compressed air)
2, plants -> yellowish biomass (brewing machine using water) -> ethanol (distillery) -> ethylene (dehydrator) -> polyethylene (chem reactor) Please don't ask me why there's two biomass fluids that share the same name but do different things.
3, same as 2 but you use a chemical reactor instead of a dehydrator, inputting sulfuric acid but requiring less eu.
Easiest way to make sulfuric acid is by combining sulfur and oxygen to make sulfur dioxide, then again to make sulfur trioxide, and then mixing it with water to make the acid. It's not the worst thing but I don't like the oxygen requirement. I wound up using method 1 because I didn't know at the time that there were two different biomass types and was looking at the other type which is much worse for ethanol production so I thought it wasn't very viable before HV. You can get a lot of oil pretty easily... I'm not sure how easy it is to get a comparable supply of plants. I think later on you're processing oil via a distillation tower and can use the less valuable results to produce ethylene so method 1 might be advantageous in the long run.
Seems like a lot of things use oxygen, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a steady supply of it. Most people grow sugar beets (an IC2 crop) to make sugar to process for oxygen.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 25, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

???

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i ended up doing option 2, producing a bunch of forestry compost by mixing crops and dirt (because it produces shitloads of biomass at once when brewed)

you can automate the production of dirt and the production of crops relatively easily with forestry farms (especially a rubber plantation feeding into centrifuges for all those plantballs to pulverise) but getting a reasonable amount of ethanol for ethlyene synthesis by running hither and yon in your base is a pain

i was only bloody doing this so i could build plastic pipes to build supertanks to fill with wood tar and benzene!!

e: i'm the assline

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Yeah polyethylene really demands that you make a bunch of machines just to make it. Though you can siphon off some of the products at some points, like divert some ethylene to a tank for use making other chemicals.
There's three production methods for polyethylene:
1, oil -> sulfuric light fuel (via distillery) -> light fuel (chemical reactor, using hydrogen) -> severely steam cracked light fuel (chemical reactor again, using steam, will need a fluid canner to put either steam or light fuel into a can for the recipe) -> Ethylene (distillery) -> Polyethylene (chemical reactor, using oxygen or compressed air)
2, plants -> yellowish biomass (brewing machine using water) -> ethanol (distillery) -> ethylene (dehydrator) -> polyethylene (chem reactor) Please don't ask me why there's two biomass fluids that share the same name but do different things.
3, same as 2 but you use a chemical reactor instead of a dehydrator, inputting sulfuric acid but requiring less eu.
Easiest way to make sulfuric acid is by combining sulfur and oxygen to make sulfur dioxide, then again to make sulfur trioxide, and then mixing it with water to make the acid. It's not the worst thing but I don't like the oxygen requirement. I wound up using method 1 because I didn't know at the time that there were two different biomass types and was looking at the other type which is much worse for ethanol production so I thought it wasn't very viable before HV. You can get a lot of oil pretty easily... I'm not sure how easy it is to get a comparable supply of plants. I think later on you're processing oil via a distillation tower and can use the less valuable results to produce ethylene so method 1 might be advantageous in the long run.
Seems like a lot of things use oxygen, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a steady supply of it. Most people grow sugar beets (an IC2 crop) to make sugar to process for oxygen.

I find 1 to actually be pretty easy. the LV machines aren't that hard to build, and I already had a line of lv machines making light + heavy fuel then mixing them to make diesel. btw, the best rate of return for ethylene is from naphtha rather than light fuel. so instead of siphoning off my main power source i set up a third distillery->chem reactor->chem reactor->distillery->chem reactor. i just route some oil towards it whenever i need polyethylene and let it accrue a few buckets. once i have hv infrastructure i'll be able to just run it full time and let it fully fill the polyethylene holding tank. I'm already doing that for light/heavy fuel, but the whole polyethylene line takes more than 1 amp mv, so i'm leaving it. you just really don't need that much polyethylene at that stage.

all the oil production has the added benefit of supplying near unlimited hydrogen sulfide for making sulfuric acid and sodium persulfate. I automated those, too, which is a big help for circuits down the road.

for whatever reason i've never wanted to mess with biomass and biodiesel.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just make polyethylene from oilsands ore because I found a huge loving vein of it, mined it all out, and brought it home

centrifuge ore -> distill into sulf. heavy fuel -> chemical react into heavy fuel -> severely steam crack -> distill into ethylene

Always overproduce polyethylene -- it's super convenient to have a shitload of it at all times.
Also, make a large chemical reactor as soon as you can -- they loving rule

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Wolfsbane posted:

The search term you want is resource pack. Some options here:

https://resourcepack.net/

Shader packs will also add things like better lighting and transparent water.

Thanks. I haven't really played since it hit 1.0 so I'm completely out of the loop.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yeshaha:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Just got back into minecraft and i gotta say curseforge (app) is a godsend in just loading up a pack of mods and installing. The only issue i had was i had to override memory allocated to java, because, you know...java.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Cetane-Boosted Diesel was one of my accomplishments this weekend as well. Are you using Super Tanks to store liquids?

Getting my clean room up and running was my 2nd goal, but didn't manage to finish that sadly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

Cetane-Boosted Diesel was one of my accomplishments this weekend as well. Are you using Super Tanks to store liquids?

Getting my clean room up and running was my 2nd goal, but didn't manage to finish that sadly.

I use super tanks in some places, but since you can't move them, I really don't like them very much. If I'm building some infrastructure specifically for automating one task, sure, go go gadget super tank. I store my benzene in one, as well as the hydrogen and oxygen that I'm continually electrolyzing from water.

Everything else, I use aluminum tanks. Delicious, dolly-able tanks. The modpack devs hosed up and left in the recipe for 1 glass tank + 1 emerald plate = 1 aluminum tank, so I just have shitloads of aluminum tanks for everything. That and cells. So many cells. I have, in the past, chosen quest rewards based on how many cells I would get.

I don't have cetane-boosted diesel fully automated, yet. I want to build a distillation tower for busting up the oil, because it's twice as efficient. This is just a stopgap so I can switch my electric blast furnace over to CBD-fueled combustion, because holy poo poo benzene struggles with a 4A HV setup, even with two pyrolyse ovens munching down wood as fast as they can. Once I can get my EBF continually running without threatening a base-wide brownout, I can upgrade its coils, then make a bunch more stainless steel, then build a distillation tower, then... :sludgepal:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you care about the gas and naphtha at all, the distillation tower is way more than twice as efficient. it's a must-build if you're doing oil chem.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was going to suggest Painterly to the goon looking for resource packs.
I've tried a lot over the years but always come back to Painterly.

Which sadly looks like it finally may have died.
Websites down.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I'm going to use this flowchart to scare my friends. What in the good christ.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

if you care about the gas and naphtha at all, the distillation tower is way more than twice as efficient. it's a must-build if you're doing oil chem.

Yeah, that's a bonus on top. Naphtha vends a bunch of fun petrochemicals and would probably warrant its own distillation tower. It's just a bonus for now, though -- my primary concern is fuel.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hooplah posted:

btw, the best rate of return for ethylene is from naphtha rather than light fuel.

Are you sure about that? I did some math recently and light fuel is the best if you're forced to make only one thing from oil (which will be the case before you get a distillation tower).
Oil to sulfuric light fuel is 1:1, then 1:1 again to light fuel, then 5:4 to severely steam cracked light fuel, and 4:1 to ethylene. That's 20:4 or 5:1 overall.
Oil to sulfuric naptha is 5:2, 1:1 to naptha, 5:4 to severely steam cracked naptha, then 2:1 to ethylene. That's 50:8 or 25:4 overall, slightly less efficient.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat, i better double check my setup! I probably forgot to include oil:distillate in the overall ratio. thanks for pointing it out.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Anyone have any tips for supplying 3 machines with 6 items each, where they share some items used in common and I'd like them to all be on the same 'line' (EnderIO Item Conduits, etc.). This is in GTNH, pre AE2 of course, and right now I'm thinking Project red stock keepers seem to be the best choice...but I keep wishing I could just use EnderIO to do it. This is for circuit assemblers.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Faldoncow posted:

Anyone have any tips for supplying 3 machines with 6 items each, where they share some items used in common and I'd like them to all be on the same 'line' (EnderIO Item Conduits, etc.). This is in GTNH, pre AE2 of course, and right now I'm thinking Project red stock keepers seem to be the best choice...but I keep wishing I could just use EnderIO to do it. This is for circuit assemblers.

Do the EnderIO item conduits have filters enabled? Should work a treat.

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Basic_Item_Filter

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This conversation is reminding my why Omnifactory is the only pack I've gotten good progress in Gregtech with. Focusing entirely on the processing and production without worrying about bloodmoons or hunger or the Twilight Forest while I'm trying to produce polyethylene is a lot easier for me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Goodness but it has been a LONG time since I've used automagy or redpower/project red.

This monitors the fuel tank feeding the generators for my EBF, and when the tank runs out, it stops the EBF and turns on a status light. Once I've refueled the tank, I can hit a button to restart the EBF. :fap:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

This conversation is reminding my why Omnifactory is the only pack I've gotten good progress in Gregtech with. Focusing entirely on the processing and production without worrying about bloodmoons or hunger or the Twilight Forest while I'm trying to produce polyethylene is a lot easier for me.

Whats that? you don't like creepers spawning in the middle of your factory floor and detonating themselves on your line of MV machines? or the zombie that just tunneled his way though your fuel tanks and generators? or the fact you have to spend a whole day away from everything in a fortified bunker while madly swinging a sword at everything that moves in the hopes they die before they tunnel into your bunker? etc. etc. etc.

Suffering Is FUN......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

Whats that? you don't like creepers spawning in the middle of your factory floor and detonating themselves on your line of MV machines? or the zombie that just tunneled his way though your fuel tanks and generators? or the fact you have to spend a whole day away from everything in a fortified bunker while madly swinging a sword at everything that moves in the hopes they die before they tunnel into your bunker? etc. etc. etc.

Suffering Is FUN......

Turn off infernal mobs and special mobs. :v: