Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

C-Euro posted:

What are the pro strats for the Shield? I finally tried it for the first time after 20 runs and a couple of clears, I managed to get halfway through the final boss with it but I felt like I did so in spite of my weapon choice. The only attack that felt good was the bull rush, but even that didn't do as much damage as I would have liked and I would sometimes end up in an awkward spot after rushing. I also didn't realized that the regular attack has a bunch of knockback, should I be looking for Poseidon boons with this weapon?

here's how i cleared 32 heat w/ shield: start with aspect of chaos (buffs your special after bull rush), zeus keepsake (so you can upgrade your special with your first boon), and the skelly companion if you have it.

you start with the zeus boon that upgrades your special, and take advantage of the aspect of chaos as much as possible. zeus boons stack with each other really well, so i aim for those when i see them.

i virtually never choose a non-poseidon boon for my attack, sometimes leaving it unbuffed until i can switch to the poseidon keepsake between levels and get it that way. using your bull rush and knock back from poseidon boons to slam enemies into walls is really important, especially in elysium and styx, imo. the zeus/poseidon duo boon is very good, but the build works fine without it.

the following chain does a good deal of dps to single targets: bull rush -> dash attack (through enemy, leaving you behind them) -> (turn around to face their back) special

if you land cast on them before that, the mirror bonuses end up adding a ton of damage

despite your aspect's focus on your special, you still spend a lot of time dash attacking and weaving out of fights so you can block some poo poo and bull rush back in. and, in boss fights, never forget: for many of the bosses' attacks you can turtle behind your shield while charging bullrush. sometkmes just waiting for them to finish attacking your shield to get some dps in is all you need

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I had a feeling that the spear was up quite seldom for dark thirst... The only prophecy that remains is getting all hammers with the spear (despite me always picking the prophecy option if available, and always picking the dark thirst weapon).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ovenboy posted:

I had a feeling that the spear was up quite seldom for dark thirst... The only prophecy that remains is getting all hammers with the spear (despite me always picking the prophecy option if available, and always picking the dark thirst weapon).

I've definitely also felt that spear didn't come up very often for dark thirst.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm up to 4 clears so far and 3 of those have been with the spear, it's my most used weapon so far. Whenever I have to go melee I tend to die more often, it feels safer to be in range.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

The spear is lovely, it just never seems to be darkly thirsty, so I rarely play it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ovenboy posted:

Do you always play with aspect of achilles? Three of the hammers are incompatible with it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Do you always play with aspect of achilles? Three of the hammers are incompatible with it.

That's what makes it great. It makes it almost guaranteed you'll get some mix of Flurry Jab, Triple Jab, and extendo-reach.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm a big fan of the Hades spear damage boost

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm not a fan of any of the charging stuff so I'm annoyed at how rarely I seem to see the rapid fire on the spear and bow. I've only ever seen it on the bow once ever and i'm on I think heat 13 or 14 now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dionysus is good on the Rail's normal attack, right? That's my current Darkness bonus weapon and I'm thinking of running Dio + Rail since Hangover was so good on the Chiron Bow's special for me previously.

Finicums Wake posted:

here's how i cleared 32 heat w/ shield: start with aspect of chaos (buffs your special after bull rush), zeus keepsake (so you can upgrade your special with your first boon), and the skelly companion if you have it.

you start with the zeus boon that upgrades your special, and take advantage of the aspect of chaos as much as possible. zeus boons stack with each other really well, so i aim for those when i see them.

i virtually never choose a non-poseidon boon for my attack, sometimes leaving it unbuffed until i can switch to the poseidon keepsake between levels and get it that way. using your bull rush and knock back from poseidon boons to slam enemies into walls is really important, especially in elysium and styx, imo. the zeus/poseidon duo boon is very good, but the build works fine without it.

the following chain does a good deal of dps to single targets: bull rush -> dash attack (through enemy, leaving you behind them) -> (turn around to face their back) special

if you land cast on them before that, the mirror bonuses end up adding a ton of damage

despite your aspect's focus on your special, you still spend a lot of time dash attacking and weaving out of fights so you can block some poo poo and bull rush back in. and, in boss fights, never forget: for many of the bosses' attacks you can turtle behind your shield while charging bullrush. sometkmes just waiting for them to finish attacking your shield to get some dps in is all you need

Thanks. I was surprised at how the Shield could block seemingly every attack so long as it was coming at you head on. Even the lasers on the final boss!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

C-Euro posted:

Dionysus is good on the Rail's normal attack, right? That's my current Darkness bonus weapon and I'm thinking of running Dio + Rail since Hangover was so good on the Chiron Bow's special for me previously.

You want Zeus. I was advised of this earlier in the thread, tried it , and it was loving incredible.

Dio's real good for the special though

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Most people do zeus on the rail. Dio is probably fine but it doesn’t take long to max hangover stacks.

I like Poseidon with Sea Storm duo and all the zeus boons. If you have razor shoals and jolted you apply privileged status with your main attack. As I’ve posted several times already, I’m using it on Hestia aspect— but, it also works well with the regular attack.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Judging when something is already dead is a good skill to have with Dio rail I reckon

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

You want Zeus. I was advised of this earlier in the thread, tried it , and it was loving incredible.

Dio's real good for the special though

I've done Zeus on Rail attack once or twice and it's really good against mobs but feels less good against bosses. My thinking with Dio is that it's probably still good against mobs, especially with a decent Special or Cast, but way better on bosses by keeping them poisoned all the time.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I might be wrong but the lightning attack doesn't really scale with anything. Dio you can duo with ares or aphrodite for either faster ticks or more max stacks (I had a really nice run where I got both). I've definitely had more successful completions with Dionysus than with Zeus attack if I haven't picked up a call or cast that will carry me. Even Ares, getting the stacking doom and doom + weak for repeated ticks as well although that does require getting a few more required boons for that setup.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jolted (esp with the Demeter Duo) puts out a fair quantity of damage, as well as getting half way to PS.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's funny you mention that because I'm currently in the middle of that setup, except with lightning bolt on spear special. I just wanted to alt tab to say that Demeter's line read for "I shall take everything away" gives me loving chills every time. It's so good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Garrand posted:

It's funny you mention that because I'm currently in the middle of that setup, except with lightning bolt on spear special. I just wanted to alt tab to say that Demeter's line read for "I shall take everything away" gives me loving chills every time. It's so good

You're not the only one!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh yes Demeter is absolutely the best god for voicelines alone. She's the only one who sounds like a truly vengeful divinity laying waste to lesser beings. :allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Garrand posted:

Yeah, I might be wrong but the lightning attack doesn't really scale with anything. Dio you can duo with ares or aphrodite for either faster ticks or more max stacks (I had a really nice run where I got both). I've definitely had more successful completions with Dionysus than with Zeus attack if I haven't picked up a call or cast that will carry me. Even Ares, getting the stacking doom and doom + weak for repeated ticks as well although that does require getting a few more required boons for that setup.

I did Spear with Aphro Attack + Ares special on my last clear, I took the boon that makes Doom deal more damage but take longer to activate to really milk Privileged Status. Highly recommended, even if I don't like Ares boons that much.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Is there anything storywise after reuniting the family at the dinner party? Also I think I missed why zag is still escaping even though the semi truth is out in the open to everyone now?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you have headphone on, go to your boons list and move the cursor up to pacts and perks. The audio pans from left to right as you move the cursor.

If Orpheus and Eurydice are singing when you chat to her, her audio drops out of the song, while Orpheus continues.

This loving game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Is there anything storywise after reuniting the family at the dinner party? Also I think I missed why zag is still escaping even though the semi truth is out in the open to everyone now?

the explanation is that Zagreus escaping so much is exposing flaws in the security so it’s his official job after the credits to keep prodding away in an official capacity. Idk why the gods are still booming him up to help with that though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

the explanation is that Zagreus escaping so much is exposing flaws in the security so it’s his official job after the credits to keep prodding away in an official capacity. Idk why the gods are still booming him up to help with that though.

(Post-credits) Because he's a nice guy and they like him :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Last Celebration posted:

You canonically have to shower them with nectar and ambrosia to get to that point, so they're pretty chuffed with him. Dionysus is really the only other god with easy access to it and it's not like he's going to just throw them at his family like Zag has.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yes Demeter is absolutely the best god for voicelines alone. She's the only one who sounds like a truly vengeful divinity laying waste to lesser beings. :allears:

I love her lines when you call her at full bars

"I will take everything away!"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

You canonically have to shower them with nectar and ambrosia to get to that point, so they're pretty chuffed with him. Dionysus is really the only other god with easy access to it and it's not like he's going to just throw them at his family like Zag has.

i was kinda joking, but tbh it does feel a little silly in the context that the gods besides Hermès (since he’s actually physically there) are basically just still having one way conversations with him instead of just visiting their bro from time to time. It makes sense in the context of providing moral support to help him escape from his mean old curmudgeonly dad but at this point since things are better with Hades too just visit.

poo poo, it would actually be a pretty fun gameplay twist if the gods started treating boons as a part time job, tbh.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Last Celebration posted:

i was kinda joking, but tbh it does feel a little silly in the context that the gods besides Hermès (since he’s actually physically there) are basically just still having one way conversations with him instead of just visiting their bro from time to time. It makes sense in the context of providing moral support to help him escape from his mean old curmudgeonly dad but at this point since things are better with Hades too just visit.

poo poo, it would actually be a pretty fun gameplay twist if the gods started treating boons as a part time job, tbh.

After the dinner they can probably see the Hades and Zagreus fights. Entertainment like that for free* is rare.
*or as free as loading Zag with boons is

Also the gods kinda dislike the underworld, so they're not going to visit all that often (or at all). The only one that'd hit up the family with regularity is Demeter, but as an harvest goddess the underworld is probably even worse for her. I assume they'll keep doing a big dinner every century or so, at least until someone finds a way to fix Zagreus' spontaneous death problem. Then he'll be hosed for a while.

Hades 2, where you get boons from Hades, Nyx, Charon etc. to escape Olympus because the relatives are not letting Zag go home before the feast in his honor is over. Problem is, it's been 50 years and it shows no sign of slowing down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like dio or demeter attack on rail because I usually focus on the rails special. The attack is just something I do in between dodging and blowing things up, and stacks works well with that while zeus really wants more sustained fire.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Anything that stacks or does flat damage is pretty good on the rails attack. Zeus and dio are really good because of how eris works.

Im just waiting for the day I get doom with dire misfortune+impending doom on the attack.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Omobono posted:

After the dinner they can probably see the Hades and Zagreus fights. Entertainment like that for free* is rare.
*or as free as loading Zag with boons is

Also the gods kinda dislike the underworld, so they're not going to visit all that often (or at all). The only one that'd hit up the family with regularity is Demeter, but as an harvest goddess the underworld is probably even worse for her. I assume they'll keep doing a big dinner every century or so, at least until someone finds a way to fix Zagreus' spontaneous death problem. Then he'll be hosed for a while.

Hades 2, where you get boons from Hades, Nyx, Charon etc. to escape Olympus because the relatives are not letting Zag go home before the feast in his honor is over. Problem is, it's been 50 years and it shows no sign of slowing down.

Ares would come visit since he's got a thing for Nyx, and I suspect Dionysus would show up anywhere there was a party.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Poseidon sword with Crush shot, a chaos boon for cast damage and exit wounds, along with Athena's call made for a really short Hades fight lol

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I picked this up when it first came up on early access, then stopped playing until uh, this month cause I had forgotten about it until I heard its praises on Game of the Year lists. I just got my first clear on run 30, I had three health left! I got to the last boss on my 26th run and actually got him to phase two that time and immediately died. Theseus and the Minotaur were my wall, I was stuck on them for seven or eight runs, but it turns out my biggest issue was that I was not playing conservatively enough and I really only had to focus on Theseus since the bull has way more obvious tells.

My favorite dash is absolutely Athena's, that deflect is absolutely awesome and carried me to victory. The other deflects are generally way harder to use, though I haven't had the luck to get Athena on the shield to see if that makes the bull rush charge also deflect, that would be dope if so. My first clear weapon was twin fists with demeter's aspect with heavy knuckle and explosive upper hammers. I don't think heavy knuckle paired super great with it, but the explosive upper sure as hell did. Also using chain lightning attacks with jolt plus hangover on my special and call made for some good hit and run tactics. I also had VERY good luck with high rarity boons.

Anyway this game is pretty fun and now I guess I'm supposed to mess around with these pacts of punishment to get more titan blood so I can mess around with secret weapon aspects.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i refuse to acknowledge the existence of non athena dash boons lest I offend her and she refuse to offer it to me even when I have attack and special taken care of and the dash slot wide open. I think once in tartarus in that exact situation I got the death defiance boon and some other trash alongside the cast (which is admittedly fine if you're not doing a cast build) and I freaked out because I had genuinely been working under the assumption the game wanted to make the main four buttons get a boon before offering other things since it usually seems that way

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Athena dash is great, but there are times when others are good or even better.

Poseidon dash is nice if you don’t need to keep foes in melee range. It can trigger sea storm as well if you have that duo—which can also apply rupture and jolted (if you get em).

Artemis is great for the bow and hestia rail. Could also take it on zag shield or spear with serrated point and Aphrodite/Demeter/Poseidon on attack.

Aphrodite/Demeter/Dionysus can help you apply privileged status if you have something like artemis on attack or special. If you’re doing a heartrend build, dio on dash is nice for PS, and you get access to a bunch of his other boons like strong drink, after party, premium vintage, positive outlook, and exclusive access (if you also have Poseidon). Yes, you can get exposed on athena dash—and its good—but it takes two boons to get a dash that counts toward PS instead of 1. Aphrodite and Demeter also have a lot of good boons that don’t have a button dedicated to them.

If you have zeus boons, you always want more zeus boons. So zeus dash + lightning reflexes is more zeus that also get boosted from double strike, high voltage,, static discharge, and splitting bolt.

Area is the one dash I never really pick up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dio rail update: got pretty dang close to my first deathless clear, even for what I thought ended up as a sub-optimal build. Put Dio on Attack but couldn't find a status-creating boon for my Special, and ended up settling for Demeter on Dash to at least get enemies with Chill. Build still rocked in the moment and it melted each boss.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 27, 2021

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ares's dash works pretty well if you can predict where the enemies are going to stand. Unless there's a heat setting I haven't seen yet, enemy AI doesn't make any sort of attempt to avoid or exit the damage field.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Welp. Just tried EM4 for the first time and got Hades down halfway through phase 3 before losing. I got a little too twitchy and got tagged by the new timing on his follow-up attacks a few too many times.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Hello Sailor posted:

Ares's dash works pretty well if you can predict where the enemies are going to stand. Unless there's a heat setting I haven't seen yet, enemy AI doesn't make any sort of attempt to avoid or exit the damage field.
Yeah ares' dash is actually good, better with the blade rift boons. My problem with that is it means taking blade rift boons. Or even worse, using other ares boons to go with them. When possible I avoid ares like the plague.

I like ares' special doom for regular sword and regular shield runs where I have attack-based hyperion buffs. Meaning I'm using my special for AOE sprinkle damage which I can periodically throw down. Doom is perfect for that but it's such a niche roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hades EM4

Zagreus afterwards: 'wow so all those other times you could have beat my rear end and you didn't. why?
Hades: 'i had depression 😠'

Tight Deadline 3 is so much fun.