Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Commander Keen's last name is Blaskowitz and he apparently grew up hearing stories of his grandfather's legendary Nazi killing ability. This was canon prior to TNO. Keen's grandson refused to do a war crime and punched out his CO, getting transferred to Mars...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's a shame that the majority of people dislike Doom Eternal on every level but your loss is my gain because I love everything about it!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Casnorf posted:

Commander Keen's last name is Blaskowitz and he apparently grew up hearing stories of his grandfather's legendary Nazi killing ability. This was canon prior to TNO. Keen's grandson refused to do a war crime and punched out his CO, getting transferred to Mars...
Commander Keen's child size skull is in the Fortress of Doom so Keen canonically died as a child sorry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

It's a shame that the majority of people dislike Doom Eternal on every level

:thunk:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Whenever you bring up Doom Eternal itt you're guaranteed to get 6 posts in a row saying how poo poo it was

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Akuma posted:

Whenever you bring up Doom Eternal itt you're guaranteed to get 6 posts in a row saying how poo poo it was

The same 4 posters reviving their circle jerk every time its mentioned =/= the majority of people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When there are like 20 posters on this dead gay forum any time you get 3 different people to post the same thing in a row looks like a majority.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like the end result but still find it hilarious how much they hosed with combat in doom eternal just so designer could keep his vision of “gently caress you, we worked hard to design these guns and you’re using them”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DOOM Eternal still has a lot of fun parts tbh it’s just that imo every change from the 2016 game was for the worse. They made it too strategic and focused too much on the story for me, and these changes served to make me feel like I was simultaneously having a more boring and more stressful time

I’ve almost finished 13 Sentinels and I still don’t understand why the children need to be naked in the robots. I can’t even remember if that was something I was told the game would explain or not tbh, but it is amusing as hell

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve almost finished 13 Sentinels and I still don’t understand why the children need to be naked in the robots. I can’t even remember if that was something I was told the game would explain or not tbh, but it is amusing as hell
It’s basically the same reason as Neo when he awakens from the Matrix for the first time.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Akuma posted:

I think most people like it a lot but they don't feel like arguing with people over an over again about how the marauder was "bad game design" (even though he's fun to fight)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doom Eternal scored pretty high in the goon GOTY list which is the ultimate arbiter of (poor) taste.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nachos posted:

I like the end result but still find it hilarious how much they hosed with combat in doom eternal just so designer could keep his vision of “gently caress you, we worked hard to design these guns and you’re using them”

I actually really enjoyed that more in the DLC when I went in thinking “ok I gotta use everything I have”
I still ended up using the super shotgun as much as possible but all the guns are really fun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you're making a doom game and you wind up with a level in which you walk down a long hallway not shooting anything but repeatedly triggering cutscenes you need to take a step back and reevaluate everything that led you to that point

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s basically the same reason as Neo when he awakens from the Matrix for the first time.

hahaha ok I actually literally just got to this. great

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

If you're making a doom game and you wind up with a level in which you walk down a long hallway not shooting anything but repeatedly triggering cutscenes you need to take a step back and reevaluate everything that led you to that point
Lol does Doom Eternal have that? Even Doom 3 doesn’t have that and that is the least Doom Doom game imaginable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What were Team Yakuza thinking by making it so that follower NPCs can’t run as fast as Kiryu in the pre-6 games? Not just Haruka but also full grown adults? Some kind of weird in-joke?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

DOOM Eternal still has a lot of fun parts tbh it’s just that imo every change from the 2016 game was for the worse. They made it too strategic and focused too much on the story for me, and these changes served to make me feel like I was simultaneously having a more boring and more stressful time

Yeah this is me 100%. 2016 is an all time favorite I could play and play again. Eternal i didn’t even finish because I just wasn’t compelled by anything or having much fun. The animations and enemy design are cool as hell but everything else lost me. Music was sick as hell too obviously. At the core the stripped down gunplay is real good but it only worked for me in the most 2016like sections.

I’m glad others like Akuma love it though. Honestly not trying to poo poo on it or anything, it was just wild how much it soured me on modern doom after being obsessed with the previous game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In what ways would Eternal’s detractors try to push the series forward, if not adding mobility options and more difficult enemies?

Let’s assume for the sake of discussion that releasing DOOM 2020 as just exactly the same style of game, exactly as good, at roughly the same length isn’t an option. If you HAD to try and make DOOM better, what would you do?

I liked 2016 just fine but got bored halfway through and gave up and Eternal sounds way cooler to me so I’m curious what true DOOMguys wanted from Eternal.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm a DOOM poser

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

In what ways would Eternal’s detractors try to push the series forward, if not adding mobility options and more difficult enemies?

Let’s assume for the sake of discussion that releasing DOOM 2020 as just exactly the same style of game, exactly as good, at roughly the same length isn’t an option. If you HAD to try and make DOOM better, what would you do?

I liked 2016 just fine but got bored halfway through and gave up and Eternal sounds way cooler to me so I’m curious what true DOOMguys wanted from Eternal.

The big one gameplay-wise is it leans hard on the "chainsaw for ammo, cycle through empty guns for full" loop but still wants you to use specific weapons in certain situations, which is completely contradictory. I'd remove or rebuild the Marauders and those sniping-only turrets in the DLC to make them fit the conventional gameplay loop better (and that discussion's been done to death, I fully admit), double (if not triple) the ammo pools for all weapons, and use a large shovel to try and dig the story's head out of its own rear end. Possibly a backhoe, it's wedged in there real deep.

I'd also actually finish the game's development properly and not in a "times up, finish with what you have" way that it so clearly is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

Lol does Doom Eternal have that? Even Doom 3 doesn’t have that and that is the least Doom Doom game imaginable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRD3Nc6cQRg

I mean, Doom 2016 and even the original Doom games had periods of tension building, but there is a serious lack of fireworks factory here

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Eternal is better than Doom 2016 in every single way, except for the story, where it's the same because basically every single element of the story was set up in Doom 2016.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

except for the 1 or 2 times you're locked in an exposition dump room in 2016, you can and should ignore all the story

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can any learned goons tell me how to share games across two different PS4s with different accounts? My bro has a copy of black ops cold war on his PSN account that he never plays but I do want to play it. As far as I remember there's a way of doing this on one console?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cant you just sign in to your PS4 on his account and download the game? My brother and I did that all the time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
from what I remember, the easiest way is to have each person set the other person's PS4 as their primary, but I could be wrong there. other than that, what Bust Rodd said: even if his account is on your PS4, you still have to download it from his account--it won't be available on yours.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Cant you just sign in to your PS4 on his account and download the game? My brother and I did that all the time.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, will I be able to play it as long as he isn't currently playing it?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
These squadrons missions where you're forced into flying a tie bomber or u wing are really annoying. It's not fun flying these slow af ships

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

These squadrons missions where you're forced into flying a tie bomber or u wing are really annoying. It's not fun flying these slow af ships

yeah, I get that they need to teach you how to use each ship, but it should have been a way shorter optional tutorial or something. all I want to do is fly X Wings and A Wings

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, will I be able to play it as long as he isn't currently playing it?

You will not both be able to play online, but you should be able to play offline at the same time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't get the apparently widespread complaint of people having ammo problems in Doom Eternal?

The easiest and most plentiful permanent upgrades are to ammo capacity, every fight is full of ammo pinatas, and the tried and true lap around the arena for ammo pickups works

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

You will not both be able to play online, but you should be able to play offline at the same time

Nice one, thanks

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Samurai Sanders posted:

What were Team Yakuza thinking by making it so that follower NPCs can’t run as fast as Kiryu in the pre-6 games? Not just Haruka but also full grown adults? Some kind of weird in-joke?

Does that ever matter, though?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah, you can’t do multiplayer but it’s the same as if he came to visit you and wanted to play his games on vacation using your PS4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished 13 Sentinels. Somebody really should have left clothes outside those pods!!!!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If the only giant mecha anime I’ve ever watched are deconstructions of giant robot anime (Evengelion and Giant Robo) then will 13 Sentinels still get its point across?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You've not seen power rangers?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s mostly high school stuff/time travel shenanigans over mech stuff tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

haveblue posted:

good job that doesnt happen in doom eternal!!