Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Company I interviewed at gave me a 6 hour takehome

Do I:

1) Tell the recruiter to thank them for their time but I'm not willing to work for a company that's so disrespectful of my time

2) Tell them myself

3) Ghost them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
1 or 2

If they don't know it's onerous they'll never rethink their process

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blinkz0rz posted:

1 or 2

If they don't know it's onerous they'll never rethink their process

:same:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Do I:

1) Tell the recruiter to thank them for their time but I'm not willing to work for a company that's so disrespectful of my time

2) Tell them myself

3) Ghost them

If they're dull enough to create such an onerous process, they don't deserve your feedback

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Do I:

2) Tell them myself

3) Ghost them

4) Ask if you can invoice them for time spent on the takehome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I pulled the “sure I’ll do a 4-hour assignment, if you pay me” thing on a company once and boy were they unhappy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ChickenWing posted:

Do I:

2) Tell them myself

3) Ghost them

I once went through application -> 2x phone interviews -> 6 hour mini-project -> 2x in-person interviews for a position that was supposedly open for people of all experience/skill levels (I've got a masters and 4 years) only for them to decide I did not have the technical depth they were looking for. Last I checked they were still looking.

Never again.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I want a quick sanity check before I torpedo myself:

quote:

The idea is to create a CRUD Web application that lists some items and allows to create, delete and update them. “Items” could be pretty much everything, what you like (we have no preference here): you can take books as items or events (concerts, ...) or just persons (like a registry of persons with ability to create new entries and modify their data). Add the possibility to filter the list and search for items.

Requirements

Some details and requirements:
- The backend implementation should be done using Java
- The data of “items” should be stored and updated in a database of your choice
- Use the javascript framework of your choice (React, Angular, jQuery ...) to implement the UI (it could be an independent project from the back-end)
- It would be nice to provide a short how-to-install description for this Web application so that we have a way to run it on our side and test

Success criterias
- Your code is working
- You’ve provided Unit tests
- You've provided documentation:
- How to install
- How to test
- Bonus won't be taken into account if the code is not working

Bonus
- Use Maven, npm or any software project management tool
- Add your code to a public source repository (Github or Bitbucket)
- Follow java and javascript best practices

Additional notes
- You can use starter apps (like create-react-app or maven archetypes) but you will have to explain how you will have proceeded starting from scratch
- If you are not able to do everything, keep in mind you can still describe how you would have done it

6 hours was long because I got into the weeds on some dumb testing details but it is the requirements and not I that is dumb, right?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think 6 hours to check everything off that list of requirements is an unreasonable timeline. That's probably what it would take me when you factor in full unit testing and everything. Now, the level of effort asked of a prospective employee here on the other hand...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

imo that's a crazy amount to ask of an interviewee. what that tells me is they don't have anyone on their interview panel who can see through bullshitters who say they have done those things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clanpot Shake posted:

imo that's a crazy amount to ask of an interviewee. what that tells me is they don't have anyone on their interview panel who can see through bullshitters who say they have done those things.

Fwiw, I feel like most 45 minute code interviews are only measuring how well you can do 45 minute code interview problems. I stopped interviewing candidates for Android skills when I realized that there was no good way for me to dig deeply into what they knew to know whether they really knew their stuff, because both the breadth and depth can be very deep, and it's extremely easy to bullshit your way through interviews by talking about how they used frameworks x y & z and never actually had to use the com.android.foo package directly.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 25, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When I interview people I like to get them to bring along some code they wrote and talk me through it/answer my questions about it. Part of the reason I do this is because I didn't go to computer toucher school and I don't know how to do algorithms, but so far I haven't really had any misfires, everyone has netted out to have roughly the skill level that I pegged them at from seeing their code and hearing them talk about it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

prom candy posted:

When I interview people I like to get them to bring along some code they wrote and talk me through it/answer my questions about it. Part of the reason I do this is because I didn't go to computer toucher school and I don't know how to do algorithms, but so far I haven't really had any misfires, everyone has netted out to have roughly the skill level that I pegged them at from seeing their code and hearing them talk about it.

I once had a candidate volunteer to show us some of his code in his interview. He even brought his own laptop!

The code and the laptop were property of his current company. When we asked him if he was violating NDA he said "Yes, for sure. You know...I think I could get in trouble for showing this to people outside my org."

:psyduck:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

prom candy posted:

What do you do for the people who don't code as hobby and can't show your their code from work?

Edit: and now interview chat is happening in three different threads today :negative:

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 25, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jose Valasquez posted:

What do you do for the people who don't code as hobby and can't show your their code from work?

Edit: and now interview chat is happening in three different threads today :negative:

Exactly this, I don't have the free time to code outside work, do you ask me to just bring a copy of FizzBuzzEE?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Write the most boring app ever” is certainly a type of interview question that apparently exists. Oh, the fun of writing unit tests for a Java CRUD controller.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jose Valasquez posted:

I would usually offer a quick take-home assignment instead but most people are able to dig up some code they can talk about when the alternative is homework. I only work for small companies so I don't do a ton of interviewing, if I did I would probably refine the process better.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I've never had any sort of personal projects so I guess it's homework for me!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
During my last job hunt phase I actually didn't mind spending a night on a take-home if I had already done at least one interview directly with the org and got good vibes. If the take home is directly out the gate before even the first interview then it's an immediate "no thanks". I once had a recruiter send me through tests to complete for three different roles before I'd talked to anyone at the corresponding orgs... that's a hard pass and straight to the poo poo list.

I feel a little bit less hostile towards take home projects then I used to after I was hired into my current role. The tech lead mentioned he found the image of Owen Wilson I hid in an extra bonus feature of the solution and that tipped me over the scales to get his recommendation.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

ChickenWing posted:

I want a quick sanity check before I torpedo myself:

6 hours was long because I got into the weeds on some dumb testing details but it is the requirements and not I that is dumb, right?

Send back an invite to a full day of requirements gathering to understand the storage, lifetime, uptime, responsiveness etc requirements of the project. “Add the ability to search for items” is impossible to implement effectively without this! Seriously though that project would take me more than 6 hours.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Asking you to implement something with vague specs and being judged on how well you guess what they meant is pretty realistic to be honest.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

4) Ask if you can invoice them for time spent on the takehome.

This is by far the best suggestion, and I cannot wait to try it out.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

downout posted:

This is by far the best suggestion, and I cannot wait to try it out.

When we were interviewing people for coding positions some of the management insisted on garbage code tests (they were 75% trivia about stuff like the order of arguments in random standard library functions that you can google in 5 seconds) so I insisted that we pay people to take them. Candidates telling me how bad the test was in the interview was a decent indicator of if they had ever coded anything.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Okay thanks I feel better now.

Hypothetically, what would your optimal interview processes look like? I'm still not sure what a good flow looks like that isn't overly onerous on an applicant but still susses out whether or not they've been padding their resumé.

Our company does a 30m phone screen -> 2-3h takehome -> 1h in person tech interview -> 1h in person design interview and that even feels heavy, except that each step checks a particular box (takehome: can you augment an application using our stack // tech interview: can you reason about code // design interview: can you look at the big picture). The only thing I'd consider removing is the tech interview, except that there's some stuff that's hard to identify without being in person

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do you care about whether the applicant is padding their resume, or just about whether they can do the job you're interviewing them for? There are different processes to find out those two things.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A few years back I did some research on interviewing for my then-boss.

It was pretty dire. You'd almost might as well flip a coin. (Un)conscious bias and over/underperforming on interviews vs work tasks are the two biggest sources of inaccuracy.

From memory the list from best to worst assessment was:

Actual work. tryout periods. Converting contractors. Direct* referrals.

*Direct = worked with this person in a similar job. Indirect "my brother in law does that" are much less helpful.

Assessments. If!

- They actually match the task

- don't become their own game

Many do not match the work or become their own mini skillset (leetcode).

Panel interviews with the team. Not like 5:1 but more like 2:1 and very important to use the same questions for each candidate.

Individual interviews with the team. Again better with consistent questions.

Individual Interview with the boss.

As you can see, the better methods are harder and more resource intensive. So you have to weigh cost and benefit.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I think we as an industry badly overestimate the value of hiring "good programmers." in practice, most of what makes a programmer good is communication skills, and most of how we interview technical people doesn't measure that effectively.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Any attempt to gauge whether candidates know their poo poo is gonna be dubious at best, and honestly focusing on the less important things anyway.

Just talk to them, as a starting point. Can they reason about the sort of stuff they'll be doing? Do they seem at all interested in the work (not like "if you're interviewing for coders at the paperclip company they gotta be passionate about paperclips", I mean the actual work they'll be doing)? If they're not gonna be fully remote, do they seem like someone who'll be all right to be around for their colleagues (obviously this one is hard because of personal biases and such that you need to carefully account for)?

Demanding people spend their free time doing the thing they do for work is bullshit no matter how you do it.

You might end up hiring someone who doesn't work out and having to let them go after a short time, but that risk is always gonna be there anyway. And it's not like it's in most prospective employees' interest to lie their way into a job they'll lose anyway.

Note: I've never interviewed from this side of the table, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Do you care about whether the applicant is padding their resume, or just about whether they can do the job you're interviewing them for? There are different processes to find out those two things.

I mean we only ask them about the points on their resume that directly pertain to the job they'll be doing, it can't be that much different. I don't care that you lied about having 15 years of JS experience so long as you didn't lie about being able write a python script and containerize it without having to first google "how install docker"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ChickenWing posted:

I mean we only ask them about the points on their resume that directly pertain to the job they'll be doing, it can't be that much different. I don't care that you lied about having 15 years of JS experience so long as you didn't lie about being able write a python script and containerize it without having to first google "how install docker"

So a few years back my consulting team was trying to get docker to work on the corp MS machines and it was hell. A lot of try/fail and googling.

The no-nothing bully director heard some version of "the expensive consultants are googling problems" and decided to make an issue of it on the steering call.

As a consultant that stuff really sucks because it's a punchy sound bite that plays into the worst assumptions. Especially with people not familiar with doing the work (out of touch mgmt...)

Thankfully the client head architect understood the problem and had the guts to call the guy out for his BS. We actually came away more credible since we were going above and beyond to get it setup versus just throwing up our hands, pointing at the contract and sitting around billing for nothing.

Apropos of nothing just nice to remember that version of the story with a happy ending.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

I think we as an industry badly overestimate the value of hiring "good programmers." in practice, most of what makes a programmer good is communication skills, and most of how we interview technical people doesn't measure that effectively.

Woebin posted:

Demanding people spend their free time doing the thing they do for work is bullshit no matter how you do it.

You might end up hiring someone who doesn't work out and having to let them go after a short time, but that risk is always gonna be there anyway. And it's not like it's in most prospective employees' interest to lie their way into a job they'll lose anyway.

Note: I've never interviewed from this side of the table, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

As someone who's been the interviewer hundreds of times at like 8 different companies, I think you are both absolutely right. I've given up wasting time "assessing" someone's skill. I let their resume speak to that. Especially when hiring for senior roles, I see their time at other companies as time spent vetting their skill, so that I don't have to. Instead I focus on communication skills, flexibility, humility, empathy, or whatever other value my company currently holds.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I wish our interviewing practice was more like a pair-programming session where you sit down with some mild refactoring task and get to talk about how to redesign something and reasoning behind various choices. I feel like you get a feeling for not only how much coding experience they have on some particular platform, but how they think and how they communicate. But no, all the interview feedback I get from hiring is "beep boop need more algorithmic complexity". I would take someone with the ability to justify using the standard library implementation over the guy that can hand-roll a "clever" algo that will be a buggy maintenance nightmare any day.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

This is more or less my sentiment. My current company is fairly good about looking at soft skills and aptitude. The take-home coding exercise (which is existing code that you have to fix, not a giant time-sucking project spec) serves first as a means to determine whether a candidate is lying about knowing how to code/plagiarizing (boss said liars/plagiarizers were unfortunately common), and then to gauge poo poo like observation skills and problem solving ability. I feel it’s more aptitude-oriented than making someone write a bunch of code from scratch or implementing algorithms.

We had an amazing candidate a while back (that we unfortunately lost to another offer) who was low experience and high aptitude. Like, came in with a Udemy certificate and blew masters degree holders out of the water (well she had a masters too but in a completely unrelated field). Talked us through how she would go about researching a solution when asked about something she didn’t know how to do, uncannily good at asking us questions about problems she was solving to glean extra context, overall excellent communicator, all the soft skills that you can’t teach. Probably would have been weeded out by an interview process that focused on existing hard skills and direct experience.

My previous company was really bad about hiring on the basis of existing hard programming skills and ignoring all other qualities. So they got a dour antisocial team lead and then a hot-headed toxic junior dev . All the technical skills between couldn’t overcome the utterly miserable work environment they created.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Vulture Culture posted:

Do you have some kind of matrixed TL/EM model, or does the TL sit informally between you and an EM for the team? Is the TL's manager also your manager?

Leaving for greener pastures isn't a bad idea, but if you like the company and believe in the leadership beyond their extreme distraction from important issues, here are some levers you can try to work, depending on your personal style:

• Take the temperature of nearly mid-level leadership on whether they think these are acceptable habits, and let them ask why you're asking these questions
  • Directly call out management's complete inattention to developer velocity or the flow of work from planned to completed
  • Take the temperature of the new hires, who are probably also pissed off, but either a) new and afraid to speak up or b) overly open to this approach maybe being optimal for the team despite not making sense to them
  • Look for internal opportunities to change teams within the company
  • Become an unbearable nag on any story during standup that hasn't shipped because it's waiting on code review
  • Become an unbearable nag on any teammate who has open code reviews for an unacceptable length of time

I'm not even willing to try that. It's more of a "if you're the smartest person in the room, find a different room" situation as pretentious as that sounds.

I have 2 leads: one on my cross-functional team and one on my code discipline team. And the issue is all the web developers are so siloed, finding opportunities to mentor is impossible and I can really only try and instill good practices to the web developers on my cross-functional team. The people on the other teams are out of my hands.

The talent isn't diluted well here, which is also a problem

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You would think hiring off internships would be successful but somehow we screwed that up too. They were so desperate for low level people that they basically hired everyone who said yes. Not even sure they checked with the people the interesting with. Love big companies.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A lot of problems in development I see as coming from an over inflated sense of importance in what we do.

The compensation probably attributes to this as well.

The vast vast majority of us work on poo poo that does not matter at all.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gildiss posted:

A lot of problems in development I see as coming from an over inflated sense of importance in what we do.

How dare you talk about my b2b marketing software like this

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Gildiss posted:

Shhhh! A few more years of this bullshit and I'll have a house paid off and a solid college fund for my kid. Don't rock the boat, lets just ride it out. :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gildiss posted:

For my entire career, I've had to grapple with the simultaneous feelings thst I'm both overpaid and underpaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gildiss posted:

I do important things, great things.