Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Regardless of what you might think about the play calling I think we can all agree that the better team won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Gonz posted:

I wish I could stop watching the Lions but I am infected with a terrible case of sunk cost fallacy.

The reason I continue to support the Lions is the reason I would never kill myself. Hear me out. The moment I give up in either case, something completely wacky will happen that would make me regret my decision. Of course with death... I'd never know, but everyone else would so it's enough.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gonz posted:

I have witnessed 1 Lions playoff win.

In 1991.

When I was 7 1/2 years old.

Every year since it has been one miserable failure after another, compounded by irrational draft decisions, concocted by an apathetic ownership that doesn't even deserve to run a lemonade stand let alone an NFL franchise.

I would give my entire left hand for 3 Super Bowl appearances in my lifetime with 2 wins.

The last time the Lions won a championship, my parents were four.

This is why people posting 'lol Packers only 2 super bowls in 30 years' look so dumb

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If the Lions had 2 of the greatest QBs in NFL history during that time frame I would be loling them only managing win 2 Superbowls during those runs.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Anti-Hero posted:

They'll let Linsley go, you think?

With Jones not liking his offer I could see them retaining Linsley instead and maybe Williams on the cheap. Packers need to take advantage of their war chest and blow it on signing bonus restructures. Rodgers and Smith alone frees like 25 million. Cutting Kirksey is another 6 million as well. A lot depends on what the cap actually settles at though of course.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The funniest outcome to all of this is the Packers winning a Super Bowl in Jordan Love's first season.

Trade Aaron to Houston, Green Bay.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1353505976058580993

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers vs. Buccaneers, NFCCG 2020, Packers hold a lead for 0 seconds.

Packers vs. 49ers, NFCCG 2019, Packers hold a lead for 0 seconds.

Packers vs. Falcons, NFCCG 2016, Packers hold a lead for 0 seconds.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

NFCCG 2020, Lions DNP
NFCCG 2019, Lions DNP
NFCCG 2018, Lions DNP
And on, and on...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1353740667483283456

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Another former player. Muscle Coach is really gonna hire only former players for his staff. This owns.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I think the collapse against Seattle was worse, but all this needed to happen for GB to lose this game:

• The worst end-of-half defensive call I've ever seen.
  • Davante Adams dropping a touchdown in the endzone, then not getting his feet down for a touchdown, and also Rodgers missing a wide-open receiver in the end-zone, settling for a field-goal.
  • Getting away from the run game and short passing game that was working really well, going for long bombs when the Bucs D-line was feasting.
  • Rodgers holding onto the ball for way too long making the above even worse.
  • The gutless field goal in the fourth quarter.

It really seems like everyone on the Packers just went stone stupid all at once.

Can't wait for Rodgers to come to Denver and do some ring chasing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
When you think about it, all the NFCN teams had the same outcome.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

SKULL.GIF posted:

Another former player. Muscle Coach is really gonna hire only former players for his staff. This owns.

everyday he wakes up and gives us all more reasons to love him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know if Muscle Crew will be good or bad but they at least seem to be trending towards entertaining, which is all I can ask for.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

gently caress yeah Duce Staley. I'm really liking this staff.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Gonz posted:

an apathetic ownership that doesn't even deserve to run a lemonade stand let alone an NFL franchise.

this is why i can never muster the amount of sympathy for Lions fans that their woes would demand

if they are convinced the Fords' ownership is the cause of their failure, why do they not simply rise up and seize the Means of Depression for themselves

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

PupsOfWar posted:

this is why i can never muster the amount of sympathy for Lions fans that their woes would demand

if they are convinced the Fords' ownership is the cause of their failure, why do they not simply rise up and seize the Means of Depression for themselves

This is actually what happened to the Red Wings. The Wings were owned by the Norris family since the team's inception, and the fans eventually booed the owners enough times to where that family sold the team to Mike Ilitch, and the team turned around.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It’s nice to have doom scrolling back even if it’s just Packers flavored doom scrolling.

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

tinstaach posted:

Cheers to the Packers for trying their best to bring some cheer to Lions fans in these times of sorrow

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if Muscle Crew will be good or bad but they at least seem to be trending towards entertaining, which is all I can ask for.

Awaken, my masters!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

They can't really afford to keep him, and this is the more compelling argument IMO -- the Packers have a looooooooong history of not retaining interior OL for a third contract. Given Gutekunst was hired out of the internals of the team I can't really see them breaking from that tradition.

Between Patrick, Runyan, and Jenkins, or whoever else they dig up in the 4th round of the 2021 draft, they'll find someone to play center. Same as when they let Tretter go, as when they let Dietrich-Smith go, etc, etc.

The wild card here is that every team is facing a salary cap crunch, so that could create weird situations for FAs this offseason where they'd have to settle for much smaller contracts than they'd have otherwise been able to get. That's the line where I see Linsley coming back to the team.

Hand Row posted:

With Jones not liking his offer I could see them retaining Linsley instead and maybe Williams on the cheap. Packers need to take advantage of their war chest and blow it on signing bonus restructures. Rodgers and Smith alone frees like 25 million. Cutting Kirksey is another 6 million as well. A lot depends on what the cap actually settles at though of course.

Makes sense! This is going to be a long offseason...

I'm a pretty new football watcher, and I'm not unaware of how much worse other fanbases have it as I "lucked" into the Packers (my partner comes from a long line of Packer fans being from the UP and Wisconsin). I witnessed the 2014 CCG collapse with her, watched the 2015 playoff loss to the Cardinals, and finally run-the-table in 2016. 2017 was my first season that I watched from scratch and we know how that one went.

Since I hopped in the narrative has been about how Rodgers is washed up, coaching has failed him, he'll never get another ring with the Packers, the constant Brady v Rodgers narrative, etc. A team, from the fan's perspective, that underperforms when it really matters. Typical midwest doomer stuff. It's hard to not get wrapped up in that and just have fun watching whatever happens and going with it. It's not like any of us have any control over it.

On a personal note I'm the same age as Rodgers and seeing him struggle with aging and the transition out of football is relatable, and I'm sure my anxiety of the team getting him one last ring is a lot of projecting on my part.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

In what world could the Saints possibly afford Rodgers while also maintaining a roster that would make him actually want to play there? Aren't they going to be paying for Brees for like the next five years?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think i read that the saints are 100M over the cap right now, so, maybe they're hoping Rodgers will pay them to play there

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

This is actually what happened to the Red Wings. The Wings were owned by the Norris family since the team's inception, and the fans eventually booed the owners enough times to where that family sold the team to Mike Ilitch, and the team turned around.

smh if you break your chains only to re-forge them for a new overlord!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If Aaron Rodgers leaves Green Bay, his spite instincts are so strong that there's no way he doesn't make it back to the NFCN eventually. 41 year old Aaron is going to lead the Bears to the promised land

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If he really cared about spiting his enemies he'd go to the Vikings. Murder Kirk Cousins and then take a poo poo at the 50 yard line at Lambeau.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

xbilkis posted:

If Aaron Rodgers leaves Green Bay, his spite instincts are so strong that there's no way he doesn't make it back to the NFCN eventually. 41 year old Aaron is going to lead the Bears to the promised land

Please, Favre played for Green Bay for 15 years, spent 1 in NYC, before to Minnesota. Rodgers has been with GB for 16 years, meaning he’s just in time. . .

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Comfortador posted:

The reason I continue to support the Lions is the reason I would never kill myself. Hear me out. The moment I give up in either case, something completely wacky will happen that would make me regret my decision. Of course with death... I'd never know, but everyone else would so it's enough.

As someone who divorced the Vikings awhile back... it's unexpectedly fun to root against the local team. Post game sports talk shows after a loss are real hoots.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dexo posted:

If the Lions had 2 of the greatest QBs in NFL history during that time frame I would be loling them only managing win 2 Superbowls during those runs.

its okay to have this Opinion. the league is literally 99% frauds by this metric but its still a valid Opinion

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

nerve posted:

the league is literally 99% frauds

:hmmyes:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Really when you think about it there are two, maybe three non-fraudulent teams in NFL history.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
99% of the league have had back to back top 3(at the time) QBs play for them

drat

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Cognac McCarthy posted:

In what world could the Saints possibly afford Rodgers while also maintaining a roster that would make him actually want to play there? Aren't they going to be paying for Brees for like the next five years?

The idea that he is leaving at all is so ridiculous that you might as well stretch it out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like the yin and Yang of the NFC North threads.

Why are you complaining your teams are gods.

And lol frauds

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

As people that have enjoyed their team, they must never know joy here.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

its ok to complain about your playoff team because not winning a super bowl is failure

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paint Crop Pro posted:

As people that have enjoyed their team, they must never know joy here.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

So... is Mike Pettine fired yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
All teams before the 1990's were frauds. And most of the teams after that were frauds too.