Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The major effects of Hardcore Mode are basically slightly harder skill checks and less real to go around (but you should still be able to afford essentials - just might have to be more proactive in pawning), but you get more exp points.
And quicksave/load still work; dunno if those have been affecting the acheivement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I wonder if there's any connection between Idiot Doom Spiral having the same initials as Ian Duncan Smith, noted psycho British Tory Uber capitalist.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there like an overview of the geography and nations and nationalities of this world anywhere or maybe someone in this thread has a decent grasp on it? Going off the top of my head from my first playthrough and what I've encountered again so far in my new run.

Revachol - Like anyone's going to miss this. A city (also the name of a nation?) that used to be the capital of a powerful empire ruled by the Suzerain, who was overthrown in a communist revolution and now languishes under the occupation of the Moralintern Coalition. France/Russia kind of vibes, more France than Russia really, even if Communist revolution brings you to think of the Soviet Union, but Revachol never became a communist world power, it was the site of a revolution that was put down by a coalition of foreign powers, that's more revolutionary France (though ideologically we are of course looking more at communism here than 18th/19th century radicalism).

Oraanje - In terms of names this is a Netherlands expy, though seems to be much greater in size, population and cultural influence. Seems like they are major colonial power and, I think, a key member of the Moralintern.

Ozonne - Is this a country, a city, a district of Revachol? I think someone says Joyce is from there, but can't quite remember much else.

Semenese Islands - A lot of Revacholians are descended from this place, and I think it used to be a Revacholian colony. Now seems like there's some sort of late colonial guerilla warfare going on there, involving Oraanje and possibly other countries. Measurehead is Semenese.

Mesque - From my impression this is supposed to be a pretty powerful country that's outside of the Moralintern and has like a reactionary monarchy or a fascist system of government. Culturally it seems like it's Mexico specifically or possibly more broadly Latin America.

Graad - A city I think, some sort of Slavic-like culture. I think Kraz-Mazov was from here?

Seol - Kim is a Seolian by descent. May also have been a Revacholian colony(?), as Gary the Cryptofascist mentions Seolians being prominted in the old Revacholian navy. Kim says it's a 3000 year old racist, isolationist culture. So this is like probably some sort of broad East Asia expy with, at least going by Kim, a Korean/Japanese naming scheme.

Kojkos(spelling?) - A people I think, not a nation. Said to be potato-obsessed (by Measurehead IIRC) forest dwellers. Language seems very much like a Finnic (Finnish/Estonian/Sami) thing if I connected the dots on who are supposed to belong this group (Cuno and Cunoesse right?).

I probably missed lots here, and I'm not even close to sure how all these fit together. Like which countries make up the Moralintern/Coalition? Are all these places on the same "isole", that is not separated by Pale? And so on and so on.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

kojko is a slur for the not-Slavic immigrants of Revachol

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Randarkman posted:

Is there like an overview of the geography and nations and nationalities of this world anywhere or maybe someone in this thread has a decent grasp on it? Going off the top of my head from my first playthrough and what I've encountered again so far in my new run.

Revachol - Like anyone's going to miss this. A city (also the name of a nation?) that used to be the capital of a powerful empire ruled by the Suzerain, who was overthrown in a communist revolution and now languishes under the occupation of the Moralintern Coalition. France/Russia kind of vibes, more France than Russia really, even if Communist revolution brings you to think of the Soviet Union, but Revachol never became a communist world power, it was the site of a revolution that was put down by a coalition of foreign powers, that's more revolutionary France (though ideologically we are of course looking more at communism here than 18th/19th century radicalism).

Oraanje - In terms of names this is a Netherlands expy, though seems to be much greater in size, population and cultural influence. Seems like they are major colonial power and, I think, a key member of the Moralintern.

Ozonne - Is this a country, a city, a district of Revachol? I think someone says Joyce is from there, but can't quite remember much else.

Semenese Islands - A lot of Revacholians are descended from this place, and I think it used to be a Revacholian colony. Now seems like there's some sort of late colonial guerilla warfare going on there, involving Oraanje and possibly other countries. Measurehead is Semenese.

Mesque - From my impression this is supposed to be a pretty powerful country that's outside of the Moralintern and has like a reactionary monarchy or a fascist system of government. Culturally it seems like it's Mexico specifically or possibly more broadly Latin America.

Graad - A city I think, some sort of Slavic-like culture. I think Kraz-Mazov was from here?

Seol - Kim is a Seolian by descent. May also have been a Revacholian colony(?), as Gary the Cryptofascist mentions Seolians being prominted in the old Revacholian navy. Kim says it's a 3000 year old racist, isolationist culture. So this is like probably some sort of broad East Asia expy with, at least going by Kim, a Korean/Japanese naming scheme.

Kojkos(spelling?) - A people I think, not a nation. Said to be potato-obsessed (by Measurehead IIRC) forest dwellers. Language seems very much like a Finnic (Finnish/Estonian/Sami) thing if I connected the dots on who are supposed to belong this group (Cuno and Cunoesse right?).

I probably missed lots here, and I'm not even close to sure how all these fit together. Like which countries make up the Moralintern/Coalition? Are all these places on the same "isole", that is not separated by Pale? And so on and so on.

Revachol is arguably a whole bunch of places from our world. There's the obvious French influence, but in universe the city was founded by colonists from Surense, which in the game's time period has been renamed Sur-la-Clef. Surense was the home of both Dolores Dei and Irene the Navigator, so I'd consider Surense to be a sort of smear of Portugal, Spain and France. So Revachol itself borrows from our New World too, the Heraldry's Argentinian, the apparently peaceful transition to an independent empire seems Brazillian, it was the largest city in the world, so maybe it's also New York.

Revachol is in the Insulindian Isola, which is apparently a huge archipelago that's sort of a crossroads for the other isolas, which is why Revachol ultimately came to occupy such a dominating position in the world. Most of the other nations mentioned, the ones in the coalition, were from the Mundi isola, which was the Old World.

There's more info on the wiki, here:
https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/Elysium

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Randarkman posted:

yup, both city and nation. also worth noting that out of the seven known isolas, Insulinde (on which Revachol is located) was the only one entirely uninhabited when Mondial explorers discovered it. Revachol's status as former capital of the world largely arises from that.

quote:

yep. Oranje's part of the Mundi isola, the Old World. because of how Klaasje uses the terms, I think nations in Mundi are either in the Old Old World or the New Old World - Mundi has a sea, the mare interregnum, and I assume the distinction between the two is which side of that sea it's on. but I might be wrong on that.

quote:

yeah, both archipelagos in insulinde. unclear if "semenese" is a broader category which ozonne belongs to. there is a pseudohistory which Measurehead subscribes to in which the original Semenese are descendants of Mondial immigrants who crossed the pale a couple thousand years ago, but its accuracy is unclear.

quote:

I parsed it as spain, since the paledriver pronounces it "meth-kay." currently part of the reál belt but making noises of discontent about it. noted for rebelling against Dolores Dei's innocentic rule after she had gotten her feet wet with the genocides.

quote:

not a city, an isola. among the richest with Mundi and Insulinde. the current capital of the world is a city there called Mirova, in the state of Yugo-Graad. Kras Mazov was indeed from there.

quote:

another isola, insanely isolationist as you noted, contacted by the countries of the reál belt but never explored by them

quote:

'kojko' is a slur for people from Graad. Cuno is probably Oranjese by descent since his full name is Kuuno de Ruyter (ref. eg de Paule is, I believe, also Oranjese). Cunoesse is not related to Cuno; they're both redheads by coincidence. Cunoesse is from Katla, the northernmost isola, sparsely populated with not-Finns and as far away from Revachol as it's possible to be.

quote:

the countries of the reál belt make up the moralintern and its satellites. most of the countries on the Mundi (western Europe) and Graad (eastern Europe) isolas are members. it evolved from the Mondial tradition of innocentic rule, ie. something above the nation-state.

there are seven known isolas: Mundi, Graad, Katla, Seol, Samara, Iilmaraa, and Insulinde. they are all essentially giant pockets of matter, both land and sea, in a vast void of Pale. at least one isola (Joyce doesn't specify) was contacted by Mondial nations when explorers from it found them, but the majority were discovered by Mondial explorers sent out after Dolores Dei took power (though, as mentioned, all were previously inhabited except Insulinde). Mundi and Graad are first-world, Revachol was extremely rich based on colonizing both the rest of Insulinde and other isolas (eg. playing Suzerainty with Kim demonstrates Revacholian extraction of apricots from Siigay on Samara and marble from Iilmaraa). Katla is covered in snow and no one really cares about it, Samara has been getting devoured by colonizers ever since discovery but is the only isola with any communist government in power, Iilmaraa is mostly deserts and badlands with the occasional ancient ruin, and no one knows what the hell's going on in Seol.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Revachol seems more Paris Commune than Revolutionary France imo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lightningproof posted:

Revachol seems more Paris Commune than Revolutionary France imo.

It's many things really. Fictional worlds are often better for not being complete 1:1 allegories/parallels, instead drawing upon multiple examples and extrapolating and developing their own history (as mentioned in World War Mammories, thank you for that rundown btw!). It was mostly the context of the Revolution and the Coalition ending it which most brought my mind to the original Revolutionary France as that's more or less explicitly what happened (with multiple failed attempts of course, since Revolutionary/Napoleonic France needed 7 coalitions to be put down) with an alliance of anti-revolutionary powers coming together to halt and attempt to turn back the clock on the Revolution by re-imposing the Old Regime.
The Paris Commune was a much more short-lived thing a result of France's 19th century Revolutions and the development of new political ideologies and the authority of government of Louis Napoleon collapsing in the face of being defeated by the German states.
The international anti-revolutionary alliance also brings to mind the half-hearted (mostly because of war exhaustion and financial ruin) attempts by the Entente to do in the Bolsheviks and aid the Whites in the Civil War. Maybe something like a permanent state of occupation limbo could have resulted in parts of Russia if the Entente powers had been able to intervene more forcefully?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

while there are similarities it is pretty much useless for comparison

for example, the world revolution of elysium isn’t just world war I and II rolled into the Russian revolution. The parallels are in the references that inspire the fiction, that’s it. Oranje might be “what if the Netherlands beat the poo poo of England”, but it is missing the point. Oranje is Oranje, not the Netherlands.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Oranje Lit :slick:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

for example, the world revolution of elysium isn’t just world war I and II rolled into the Russian revolution. The parallels are in the references that inspire the fiction, that’s it. Oranje might be “what if the Netherlands beat the poo poo of England”, but it is missing the point. Oranje is Oranje, not the Netherlands.

No one's really said that though. Outside of Revachol I feel like you don't get to know too much in the way of details about most of these cultures and their culture and history, they drop snippets, but the fact that, let's take Oranje, obviously using Dutch langauge names and takes elements of Dutch culture and grafts it into Oranje (for instance I saw something in my first run about wooden shoes) serves as useful shorthand to make a player/reader imagine and infer details, history and culture that aren't or can't be outright stated, while at the same time very much leaving the door open to expand on the fictional history and culture, adding details that then do not have to correspond with the real world shortand equivalent

I generally prefer fantasy world buidling like this instead of using completely fictional or very unfamiliar names for stuff, especially when you can mostly only present a rough outline of matters.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Randarkman posted:

No one's really said that though. Outside of Revachol I feel like you don't get to know too much in the way of details about most of these cultures and their culture and history, they drop snippets, but the fact that, let's take Oranje, obviously using Dutch langauge names and takes elements of Dutch culture and grafts it into Oranje (for instance I saw something in my first run about wooden shoes) serves as useful shorthand to make a player/reader imagine and infer details, history and culture that aren't or can't be outright stated, while at the same time very much leaving the door open to expand on the fictional history and culture, adding details that then do not have to correspond with the real world shortand equivalent

I generally prefer fantasy world buidling like this instead of using completely fictional or very unfamiliar names for stuff, especially when you can mostly only present a rough outline of matters.

I mean more in the sense that the reader shouldn't infer too much exactly because of what you said. Sur-la-clef, while arguably Not France, has terrible cuisine (ENCYCLOPEDIA: "way to go!"), which is not something heard frequently about French cooking. This is, of course, an element of trivia, but there are far more important things in the world of Elysium that diverge rather dramatically and I do not wish to spoil you the experience at this point if you are this intrigued already haha

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Okay but Seol is just Japan though, they even have Japanese Giant Hornets

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

multijoe posted:

Okay but Seol is just Japan though, they even have Japanese Giant Hornets

Until they actually begin introduce unique details that may or may not conflict with the not-Japan assumption you get. And either is alright really because almost everything you think you know about Seol will just be your own inferments, so it won't really be the game world cotnradicting itself if it decides to expand on what Seol is and who the Seolians (Seolites?) are, but the fact that you get enough enough to tidbits about Seol (Kim's last name, giant murder hornets, isolationist regime and history) to make that assumption without being outright told that "it's just 100% Japan" (this would be bad because that would close the door on this fictional culture and country being different if it ever gets expanded upon) is what I appreciate, because being able to actually make some assumptions and extrapolate details about this fictional world makes it feel much more alive than if you were just handed a bunch of nonsense words and names.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What matters about Oranje is the utility it serves to the story, the meaning that you can take from that name and it's associated details: the global north writ large, externalizing the costs of capitalism upon the rest of the world through brutality while draping itself in the robes of the cultured moral leaders .

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
i actually read Oranje more like a combination between the Netherlands and South Africa, of course an ex-Dutch colony. In terms of global position Oranje more closely resembles the Netherlands, as a powerful, Capitalist member of the Global North. But in terms of culture and geography, it's much more South Africa (but also the US, the global conflict the mercs were involved with resembles Vietnam as much as it resembles Rhodesia). Oranje is the nation of hardy mercenaries that police the globe by massacring the innocents. Even the description of Oranjese literature felt similar to what I imagine the Boer familial culture to be like. Fighting for your land, for your 'race' and finding dignity in defeat.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Also, I vaguely remember reading a description of Oranje that mentioned savannahs and other decidedly not-Dutch landscapes. The city names are definitely Dutch tho, for some reason there's even a Stadskanaal, IRL one of the least interesting and noteworthy places in NL. Lelystad is also a real Dutch city and vaguely well-known, it's the capital of that huge, entirely reclaimed province in the middle of the country. Was nothing but sea until 1950, and now 80000 people live there

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 25, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Saoshyant posted:

Checking the achievements, less than 1% players finished the game in hardcore mode. What does hardcore mode do exactly that (apparently) makes the game that much harder?

In addition to the possible bug, hardcore was added a considerable length of time after the game was released. Most people who bought it before that beat the game already by the time hardcore was added and haven't played since.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

oscarthewilde posted:

i actually read Oranje more like a combination between the Netherlands and South Africa, of course an ex-Dutch colony. In terms of global position Oranje more closely resembles the Netherlands, as a powerful, Capitalist member of the Global North. But in terms of culture and geography, it's much more South Africa (but also the US, the global conflict the mercs were involved with resembles Vietnam as much as it resembles Rhodesia). Oranje is the nation of hardy mercenaries that police the globe by massacring the innocents. Even the description of Oranjese literature felt similar to what I imagine the Boer familial culture to be like. Fighting for your land, for your 'race' and finding dignity in defeat.

I've never met a nice Oranjean, and that's not odd at all, bratan, cause they're a bunch of murderous bastards who hate black people.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, the South Africa connection is also a good point and is actually pretty obvious even at a cursory glance with the name Oranje . The mercs being from there is also a common trope. Missed opportunity to not seek out South African voice actors for the Oranje characters, though I can forgive most anything like that when we're dealing with a tiny Estonian game studio and the tremendous product they delivered.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, the South Africa connection is also a good point and is actually pretty obvious even at a cursory glance with the name Oranje . The mercs being from there is also a common trope. Missed opportunity to not seek out South African voice actors for the Oranje characters, though I can forgive most anything like that when we're dealing with a tiny Estonian game studio and the tremendous product they delivered.

For sure. That's also assuming they want people to be like "Oh that's definitely SA" when maybe it was just a loose framework to start building the region from as opposed to a very similar likeness.

Someone earlier posted that they really liked this form of world building and I agree. Unfortunately as I get older I have less time (and less drive) to learn about the lore of an entire new franchise. I've bounced off poo poo like dragon age and mass effect because I couldn't be bothered to learn or care, but tying it in to similar real life places and people really sped the process up.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Saoshyant posted:

Checking the achievements, less than 1% players finished the game in hardcore mode. What does hardcore mode do exactly that (apparently) makes the game that much harder?

Every time you fail a roll EggHead pops up like the dev from Mortal Kombat.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8nfRjTGUQ

Stumbled into another long-form video-essay about DE. I liked the bit about "open" vs "closed" character creation in RPGs - I feel like deep down I *know* I will get more satisfaction from a (well-written) pre-made protagonist, even if my monkey brain always gravitates towards shiny fancy character creation systems where I'll invariably end up creating the same vaguely horny protagonist that always picks the nice dialog option except when there's a line that's really funny. But it's so hard to find an RPG where you're put in the shoes of a character who's 1) already a person and 2) already an interesting person.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SexyBlindfold posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8nfRjTGUQ

But it's so hard to find an RPG where you're put in the shoes of a character who's 1) already a person and 2) already an interesting person.

This is a really great point. For a while there it seemed like there was a fault line between Bethesda/Bethesda-like blank-slate protagonist RPGs (Skyrim/Dark Souls) and RPGs where the character came built-in (the Witcher/Mass Effect). Except with that second type of game, the protagonist was so often generically heroic they may just as well have been a blank slate. Inhabiting a character who's complicated beyond the usual do-gooder/comically evil isn't something you see too often, and it was incredibly risky of ZA/UM to publish it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Collector's Edition available for pre-order and, at a hefty $250, it's over double the price I'd anticipated. I guess they think they have enough rich/spendthrift fans? Also the PS5 version only (not that anyone has optical drives in their PCs any more).

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1337200540166533123?s=20

I'm a little tempted by the Star & Antlers shirt though. Would be neat iconography for an actual left-wing movement to adopt.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

They had all the other versions for the collectors editions for a few weeks after it got announced. It was ps5 only when I ordered mine though (go go stimulus check) which works out because I wanted it for the ps5 anyway. I don't know if they sold out of the other consoles or if that was a glitch but they had pictures of the individual cases and everything.

I REALLY want that art book, map, and statuette though. I almost never go in on collectors editions, but I love this game enough to spend the extra cash.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope the art book at least goes on sale separately. I like art books and world books for games I like.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You can now get this :allears:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vegetable posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYXP19e5KM

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Cowards

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Should have done the other jacket, huh?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Should have just done a jacket.

Who's going to take me into their gang if all I'm wearing is some sweatshirt? Not hardcore.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Should have just done a jacket.

Who's going to take me into their gang if all I'm wearing is some sweatshirt? Not hardcore.

Are t-shirts hardcode enough? You can flex off the sleeves and I think that's hardcore, but I'm old.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They aren't selling ties. SMH.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

Just finished my first playthrough and man, what a ride.

I have been wondering this extreme hypothetical, would it be possible to get through the game without telling Kim about your massive memory loss.. or at least sidestep the worst of it? Avoid any dialogue where your badge and/or gun come up, bluff your way through with Drama, I don't know. Fake it till you actually make it all the way through.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Sadly there are issues with the game's responsivity in a few places and that's one. In my first playthrough I tried to pretend that nothing is wrong and never admitted to Kim that I had any kind of memory issues. I even acted as professional as possible for a while and only being weird at night. Then later he started bringing it up as if I'd told him.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Sadly there are issues with the game's responsivity in a few places and that's one. In my first playthrough I tried to pretend that nothing is wrong and never admitted to Kim that I had any kind of memory issues. I even acted as professional as possible for a while and only being weird at night. Then later he started bringing it up as if I'd told him.

Similar experience here: I started my game trying to hide my memory loss as much as possible, acting very cop-like (boring cop) and professional, not saying anything to give it away. At first it felt like it worked with it, but eventually a lot of dialogue started to make assumptions that I had admitted my memory was gone as the game went longer and longer. Definitely does feel like the game has a lot of freedom and reactivity (astonished looking at other playthroughs and seeing significant differences), but I felt in my playthrough that it slowly gravitates your character towards a general path and becoming a bit 'wacky' in the end (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I felt like your character does have an original character which is slowly being recovered from memory loss).

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
pretty sure Kim can work out your brain is fried the second the issue of your name is brought up. The impression I got was all of you attempts to bluff are obvious bullshit, but Kim would never call you out. remember he trusts you to get the job done anyway.

edit: and the fact you look and act like you just got done with a multi-day bender. what with the puking and all.

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 1, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It'd be nice if they threw in a "you're not fooling anyone", but phrased the way Kim would say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Brushing up on my French and learned that I am a real life Communard these days. :psyduck: