Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Most of what I remember from Rick after being in Varsity Club was his dog-faced gremlin "you don't like me, bite me!!" run in WCW where he just kinda... existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I feel like their entire run up to Scott joining the nWo and ascending into Big Poppa Pump-hood involved Rick being a good-natured wrestling dumbass who got left on the sidelines when it suited Scott.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

Most of what I remember from Rick after being in Varsity Club was his dog-faced gremlin "you don't like me, bite me!!" run in WCW where he just kinda... existed.

His brief tilt at Lex Luger's world title reign was fun while Scott had that bicep tear, which kicked off when Rick bounced up to him once and talked about how he used to beat Lex all the time in the locker room when they'd wrestle for fun so maybe he should get a title shot. I don't think it lasted much longer than a Clash main event, though. Rick was also a pretty good partner for Sting when Sting was doing the angle with Cactus and Abbie (I mean, they would be since they already been but I didn't know it at the time).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DJExile posted:

Sending Rick out to cut the exact same promo for absolutely no reason for weeks on end is low-key one of the more confusing things WCW did. It wasn't even a time killer because it took 3 minutes tops.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Sending Rick out to cut the exact same promo for absolutely no reason for weeks on end is low-key one of the more confusing things WCW did. It wasn't even a time killer because it took 3 minutes tops.

This was honestly bizarre as hell, yeah. Guys like Scott Steiner, Bischoff, Flair, Sting, or some others could go out and eat up plenty of time if you needed to stretch. Rick gave the exact same spiel every time and sounded like he was almost embarrassed to be doing it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Rick Steiner was really good at standing in the ring and yelling "You want some? Come get some!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
DOG FACE GREMLIN

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember Rick just kinda being there, not a good worker and a useless appendage to whatever the hell Big Poppa Pump was doing. Except when they did the Steiner DDT, which was extremely sick in every definition of the word.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Konnan gave the same promo for most (all?) of his WCW run and years after, though I'll admit Konnan's one promo was better than Rick's one promo.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Rick was also an extremely stiff and unsafe worker from what I remember of him in WCW's dying days

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's true I don't think they were paying Mike Enos enough to thrown around by the Steiners but given the Beverly Brothers' Shaker Heights Spike finisher it was probably some form of karma.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rujasu posted:

Konnan gave the same promo for most (all?) of his WCW run and years after, though I'll admit Konnan's one promo was better than Rick's one promo.

Yeah the good thing about Konnan's promo, even if it was the same thing every time, was that he was pumped up and the crowd got into it, and he could knock it out in about 15-20 seconds before a match. Rick put absolutely zero energy into his.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rick Steiner was the worst wrestler in the world in terms of a total package from 1998 through 2001. Boring matches, boring promos, bad character (especially as a heel) and took liberties in the ring. Just sucked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
During the Tuesday Nitro rewatches, every single time I saw him onscreen I wondered why this time couldn't have been given to Scott Norton.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rick Steiner is like the failed experiment a mad scientist did just before he had a breakthrough and created Tomohiro Ishii.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Konnan was a hype man for other wrestlers. Rick Steiner was out there by his lonesome.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Konnan was a hype man for other wrestlers. Rick Steiner was out there by his lonesome.

Some guys are just better off in tag teams, with a manager, as part of a stable, etc. You have to be pretty compelling to get over as a one-man show.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I've been enjoying his promos and interviews so far in 1996. Hes like a gigantic lost child who then proceeds to amble, while barking intermittently, looking so lost and confused

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Rick Steiner was the worst wrestler in the world in terms of a total package from 1998 through 2001. Boring matches, boring promos, bad character (especially as a heel) and took liberties in the ring. Just sucked.

Plus, he took off the headgear. Like, that was his thing!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
legend of the dog-face gremlin

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hey guys, the nWo beat down the Horsemen again this week. I'm sure they'll get their heat back any week now though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Rick Steiner was the worst wrestler in the world in terms of a total package from 1998 through 2001.
He was very very bad, but I don't remember Rick Steiner hitting anyone with a guitar.

TheKingslayer posted:

Hey guys, the nWo beat down the Horsemen again this week. I'm sure they'll get their heat back any week now though.
What a great show in the Carolinas!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember growing increasingly annoyed that the NWO outwitted the dirtiest player in the game and then the Horsemen just shrugged and decided to feud with the Dungeon anyway.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I think Rick is cool and he also looks tough, I wouldn't want him mad at me haha

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Rick Steiner is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rick steiner certainly wasn't konnan's friend

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The K-Dawg Faced Gremlin

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I remember growing increasingly annoyed that the NWO outwitted the dirtiest player in the game and then the Horsemen just shrugged and decided to feud with the Dungeon anyway.

It seriously feels like Eric's side project was trying to bury Flair and kill his heat constantly but he literally can't make the fans not care about Flair. It's sort of amazing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheKingslayer posted:

It seriously feels like Eric's side project was trying to bury Flair and kill his heat constantly but he literally can't make the fans not care about Flair. It's sort of amazing.

Bischoff: Flair:: Vince: D-Bry

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Bischoff: Flair:: Vince: D-Bry

The whole D-Bry v. The Authority thing in retrospect cracks me up considering that everything Vince threw at him just made him an all the more sympathetic underdog babyface. In a way, it's actually breathtaking how they managed to accidentally stumble backwards into booking a textbook underdog babyface run into WrestleMania 30.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

The whole D-Bry v. The Authority thing in retrospect cracks me up considering that everything Vince threw at him just made him an all the more sympathetic underdog babyface. In a way, it's actually breathtaking how they managed to accidentally stumble backwards into booking a textbook underdog babyface run into WrestleMania 30.

"We'll just give Big Show the yes chant and everyone will forget about that Daniel Bryan guy."

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

TheKingslayer posted:

"We'll just give Big Show the yes chant and everyone will forget about that Daniel Bryan guy."

No, but you see, it was all part of their intricate plan to get Bryan over. It wasn't a coincidence like him being eliminated from the Rumble the following year just as Goldust comes out with the words "Shattered Dreams" appearing on the titantron in massive letters.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

At least Flair was able to sue when WCW tried to put him out to pasture.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This Hulk Hogan presidential run stuff is some of the most dumb poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

This Hulk Hogan presidential run stuff is some of the most dumb poo poo.

Hey, we all laughed until one racist orange fascist got into the White House.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
IMDB says Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared on the February 28, year 2000 episode of Nitro. I can't find video or even images anywhere, but I vaguely recall that Arnold's only involvement in that show was entering the building backstage, walking a little way, noticing the ridiculous and notorious fake biceps bodybuilder Gregg Valentino "flexing" in anticipation of Arnold's approval, Arnie saying something like "HA HA, WOW, THAT'S GREAT" and then they cut to commercial and neither man is shown again.

Did I dream this?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Animal-Mother posted:

IMDB says Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared on the February 28, year 2000 episode of Nitro. I can't find video or even images anywhere, but I vaguely recall that Arnold's only involvement in that show was entering the building backstage, walking a little way, noticing the ridiculous and notorious fake biceps bodybuilder Gregg Valentino "flexing" in anticipation of Arnold's approval, Arnie saying something like "HA HA, WOW, THAT'S GREAT" and then they cut to commercial and neither man is shown again.

Did I dream this?

God I hope not because that sounds hilarious and I need to see it if it exists

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
it's real.

http://ddtdigest.com/updates/2000024m.htm

quote:

Arnold Schwarzenegger is shown at some weight lifting expo with some guy with 28-inch arms.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I never heard of Gregg Valentino before, but I'm...kind of impressed that he bulked with synthol without it looking much worse than it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was there any context provided for the clip, or was it just "we have this clip of Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Turner library, better play it on Nitro!"? Not quite Arnie posing with Vince and the belt is it?