Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Any of you cool people have an opinion on the recent Avalanches album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I thought the Japanese card and board games in the Yakuza series were impenetrable until I actually sat down and played some Oicho-Kabu and Koi Koi in Judgment because I wanted to get the items you need a bunch of wooden tags for. Now I understand them and actually really really love koi koi. Must’ve spent a good two hours at it today. Thinking of buying an actual hanafuda deck honestly

Edit: oh poo poo there’s a shop in Helsinki that not only sells the decks but even has them in stock. I know what I’m doing tomorrow

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 24, 2021

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i learned mahjong and enough shogi to do the completion list stuff but hanafuda is completely inscrutable :(

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Me on Shogi in Yakuza 7.

1) What the gently caress is this game?
2) Oh it's just chess but kinda different.
3) And all the loving pieces look the same except for the inscrutable language written on them.
4) I suck at this. Why? It's just chess. Mostly.
5) Oh wait I forgot I suck at chess.
6) If I can't understand chess at this point in my life there's no way I'm going to get good enough at shogi to accomplish anything. We're done here.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Hanafuda I have a set of cards I bought at the Nintendo store years ago. I like that they've been making them for like 100+ years.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

yea ok posted:

i learned mahjong and enough shogi to do the completion list stuff but hanafuda is completely inscrutable :(

It’s pretty simple if you spend a bit of time with it. That’s how I did it today. I mean you learned fuckin Shogi which is definitely a million times more complex!

Koi koi basics:

1. Look closely at the flowers/plants in each card. Those are your suits, there are 12 of them. Color and shape of flowers/leaves matters. Every suit has 4 cards, usually 2 basic ones and two special cards.
2. Basically, the more other things on a card aside from just the flower/plant, the better it is.
3. You form sets by collecting specific card combinations. For example, if you collect five cards of any suit with five total blue and/or red ribbons, that’s a ribbon set.
4. Every turn you play one of your cards. If there is a card of the same suit on the table, you can collect it and start forming a set. Always try to pick up cards with more than just the flower itself. After your turn one more card is taken from the deck and if its suit matches with something on the table, those cards are also yours.
5. Easy to understand strategies AKA cards to go for: a) animal cards b) ribbon cards c) two-card Moon or Cherry Blossom Viewing set (see in-game hands guide)
6. Important: when you get ANY set, you can either end the round and cash in the points or declare ”koi”. This means the round continues and you can try to complete more sets. If you get 7 or more points there is a multiplier. However, if your opponent completes any set, they win the round and you get no points. It’s a risk/reward thing.

I dunno if that helps. Try it, it’s really fun :)

Edit: oh, also check the game settings and turn on Hand Guide. It’ll tell if you’re close to getting a set.

Edit 2: lmao I just wrecked a fool on Expert with a 200 bet. Raked in like 20,000 wooden tags. I don’t need them for anything anymore

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 24, 2021

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Me on Shogi in Yakuza 7.

1) What the gently caress is this game?
2) Oh it's just chess but kinda different.
3) And all the loving pieces look the same except for the inscrutable language written on them.
4) I suck at this. Why? It's just chess. Mostly.
5) Oh wait I forgot I suck at chess.
6) If I can't understand chess at this point in my life there's no way I'm going to get good enough at shogi to accomplish anything. We're done here.

Yep this is also my experience. My brain don’t work like that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Yakuza got me so hooked on mahjong that I regularly play online. I still can't figure out Shogi.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, Yakuza got me so hooked on mahjong that I regularly play online. I still can't figure out Shogi.

I’m interested in mahjong and can somewhat reliably win beginner-level games in Yakuza but I’m still not entirely sure what I’m doing and whether or not whatever it is that I am doing is being done at the time it should be done

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I watched Name of the Rose tonight. Franciscan monk Sean Connery and his assistant Christian Slater solve a murder mystery at an abbey.

Man, I was not expecting that to be so weird and good!

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
I stick to Blackjack and Poker because my dumb idiot brain has failed too many times at trying to 'get' all the fun looking games, like Mahjong and Koi-Koi. Also because they're the only two I can win without cheat items (which they apparently took out of this installment).
I can sure collect the hell out of some cans, though.

Unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTgxdrBBwXg

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Captain Magic posted:

I watched Name of the Rose tonight. Franciscan monk Sean Connery and his assistant Christian Slater solve a murder mystery at an abbey.

Man, I was not expecting that to be so weird and good!

Ok that sounds awesome. Where is it available to stream in the US?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I went full Color Of Money mode on bluedeanie last night at Clubhouse Games pool.

And my that I mean we roughly tied in the amount of games we accidentally won.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The magic eight ball is magic in the same sense that the bullet that killed Kennedy was

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bruh I just saw the trailer for Godzilla vs Kong and I got literally giddy. Like giggled and clapped. I can't loving wait.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what films should i watch to understand the story?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

To understand King Kong, watch some youtubes of a monkey doing funny things.

To understand Godzilla, watch Oppenheimer's I Am Become Death speech and think about how bad that bomb must have hosed up the culture it was dropped on if the dude who made it was that clearly haunted, but right before you get too depressed to bear it switch over to youtube compilations of fights from the end of Power Rangers episodes where they just gently caress up downtown every time but its ok cuz its tight as hell

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Kvantum posted:

Ok that sounds awesome. Where is it available to stream in the US?

Looks like YouTube and Amazon both will stream it for some amounts of dollar. My wife had a physical copy she pulled out of her weird collection of movies.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm excited for Godzilla vs Kong but I'll admit that a big chunk of it is me not having to pay for it

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Personally I want Godzilla and King Kong to be friends.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big monky

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Stroker Ace posted:

Personally I want Godzilla and King Kong to be friends.

There's a good chance they will be, in the end. We've already seen MechaGodzilla in the toys for this movie, and there are a couple of shots that show "Godzilla" with red highlights instead of blue. The MechaGodzilla toys are red-highlighted. They probably cloned flesh from the dead Ghidorah head to cover MechaGodzilla in an attempt to frame him... or something, but anyway, MechaGodzilla.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

it'd be sick if king kong and godzilla just made a movie where they hang out and smoke blunts, watch the raid redemption, talk about vibes.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The dating stuff in Judgment is much better than the previous hostess dates in Yakuza games (apart from the club management dates which I largely enjoyed) but why does the 35-year-old Yagami insist on dating girls who are like 19 or who should be around 20 but look 15 (Tsukino). Otherwise the characters seem fleshed out and have good stories attached to them

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

it'd be sick if king kong and godzilla just made a movie where they hang out and smoke blunts, watch the raid redemption, talk about vibes.

A lot of movies would be better if they just became the raid redemption, yes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Back in the day I remember watching the tv guide preview channel for like 30 minutes to an hour to wait for the next show I wanted to watch to come on. Just watching the scroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLApAmSQQ5U

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

^^^

I would do that too.

There was also a channel that was just like, endless movie previews and I would watch the trailer for Terminator 2 over and over again. The T-1000 gave me vicious nightmares for years.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That channel was on all the time if nobody was actively watching the living room TV. My memories of playing Metroid Fusion and Minish Cap are intertwined with that channel as background noise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shard posted:

Bruh I just saw the trailer for Godzilla vs Kong and I got literally giddy. Like giggled and clapped. I can't loving wait.

Two thoughts about that trailer:

1. Oh my God this looks loving stupid as gently caress, so loving stupid.
2. I can't wait to see this dumb movie :hellyeah:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Replace Kong with Bonzi Buddy

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Shard posted:

Back in the day I remember watching the tv guide preview channel for like 30 minutes to an hour to wait for the next show I wanted to watch to come on. Just watching the scroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLApAmSQQ5U

The best part was getting distracted and missing the channel you were waiting for the whole time

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
OK, I have the Premier League open on Peacock. Let's see what all the hype is about.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My daughter comes out of her room shouting after her school work: "ok so pretty much everyone from history sucked? Like all the founding fathers? They suck."

#proud

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Shard posted:

My daughter comes out of her room shouting after her school work: "ok so pretty much everyone from history sucked? Like all the founding fathers? They suck."

#proud

Shard if your daughter is the future we're in good shape.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

RX-78-2 has to be one of the greatest designed characters/vehicles in animation history. I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam for the first time and it's incredibly good.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

My favorite Gundam shows are IBO, 08th MS Team, and Thunderbolt.

Favorite suits are the Zaku, the Grandaddy, and idk probably the Psycho Zaku.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

What’s everyone’s top 3 candy

1. Mr Goodbar
2. Sour Jacks
3. Weed candy of any kind

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the Sandrock is my favorite candy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Goodbar is horseshit. I love a Hershey bar, and I love peanuts, but it just doesn't work. I get pissed whenever I have one. Ruins my night. Love a Krackle though.

Chocolate:

1. Tony's Chocolney
2. Reese's Cup
3. Skor

Candy:

1. Haribo Gummy Bears
2. Cherry Jolly Rancher
3. Authentic Boardwalk Salt Water Taffy