Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

This doesn’t work against a reasonably competent dictor pilot. I’m going to delay bubble, multi bubble and tracking camera you to see the direction of burn so I know exactly where to go to decloak you. If the gatecamp looks even halfway setup right your best bet is to do a cloak mwd burn back to the gate.

I dunno if the practice has since seen a renaissance in the years that I've been gone, but in 2016? Absolutely no one delay bubbled me. I used to run gatecamps fairly regularly in a covops while I was on my exploration kick, and every time I'd align rather than Warp To, because I was expecting the delay bubble. Not once did it happen. I feel like I'm the last martial artist that knows a secret, deadly technique, to be sought out by starry-eyed newbies to learn at my feet, and I ain't even good at PVP in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The EU papi guy who can catch instawarp dudes made an effort post on reddit and gave away his secret

https://old.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/l4mg4y/how_i_got_170_killmarks_on_my_daredevil_an/

Bonus video of [edit: another instalocker] vs Boat: https://streamable.com/f8ilxh (sincerely a pro-click)

Otacon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 25, 2021

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Otacon posted:

The EU papi guy who can catch instawarp dudes made an effort post on reddit and gave away his secret

https://old.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/l4mg4y/how_i_got_170_killmarks_on_my_daredevil_an/

Bonus video of him vs Boat: https://streamable.com/f8ilxh (sincerely a pro-click)

Pretty fuckin funny at how mad he got.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MrTargetPractice posted:

It's not like you can always choose not to run into camps with a half bil of exploration goodies in your hold. It costs money to multibox now so having a scout isn't always possible. The nature of null sec right now makes things had as well. If I'm moving more that 250k I'll dump everything off in a station, go through a gate and check the exit gate before going back for the cargo. I've had a gatecamp happen more that once in the 3 minutes it takes to do that.

What I might do next is just fly around in some dollar store ship to practice running gate camps. Seems like a good skill to have anyway. Though gate camps seem to be laughably easy or impossible to run. I've had camps that don't even try to lock me and I've had ones where I died a second after I declocked with no clear indication of what happened.

If you can run a virtual machine, you can still run an alpha clone scout. That's my only addition to all the other stuff said, but it's useful. Hell, you might even be able to sandbox it, but I haven't tried that because I re-subbed. I'm see about it today or tomorrow when I'm done putting my poo poo back together.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Raged posted:

People who have saved up billions upon billion over the years aren't going to notice it right away, but someone who is isk poor in the current eve compared to old eve sure as hell does.

Floppychop posted:

I enjoyed the halloween/winter themed stuff. It was decently fun and it made good money.

But yeah, I'm fairly isk-poor, I'm noticing the pinch on just having a hangar with relevant doctrine ships.

I mean, even with all the good advice on the last page ITT, there's kind of a reason I'm out there, cap in hand, asking for A Nyx-shaped Hamburger Today, With Hopeful Payment Tuesday; even though I have a setup for ratting in comparative safety, it's still slow going and by the time I raise capital for my own Nyx, the war really is going to be over.

The game is fun these days but man, it's not hard to feel like you missed something over the past while.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The key to eve-as-a-lifestyle choice wealth generation over years:

(1) Subscribe to EVE Online (:()
(2) Subscribe a bunch of alts. These days you can alpha clone them up to 5 mil sp over a few months before paying for them.
(3) Wait for a good money making opportunity, then make hay while the sun is shining

Right now, I think the sun shines brightest on abyssals. But with a herd of alts, you can make bank from a lot of stuff. Hell, there's somebody making it rain by ratting with a handful of auto-targetting missile ships.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

c5 ratting still prints isk.

If you have 4 nestors and 2 leshaks between 2 people, you can push to roughly 1 bill an hour each. It's skill intensive and the ships aren't cheap, but empty 1 c5 wh of all of it's sites and they are paid for.

You don't even need to live in the wormhole, just hobo rat it. Send a scanner in to a c5 and find a good looking system. Then when you're ready to rat and there are plenty of sites, just log the scanner in and find the way to K-space that works for you to get in. If you can't find one log off and try again another time. Have scouts in multiple c5's to limit the amount of no starts you get.

Don't want to triple box? Bring more people. You'll make less per hour but it's nice and chill and now your friends are making isk as well

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I'm soloing in a C4 and its very suboptimal and I still make ~300mil/hr. In a C3 solo you would make more.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'm soloing in a C4 and its very suboptimal and I still make ~300mil/hr. In a C3 solo you would make more.

How many alts do you have tho?

An issue with this game is you need 3 accounts to do anything worthwhile that makes money and that sucks

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Not to knock it, but I'm always skeptical about the ISK/hr purported to come out of WHs. I don't doubt that a grip of sites can have a lot of ISK -- I doubt the sustainability of it. How many hours can you maintain 300 ISK/hr?

A large part of what made nullsec PVE attractive (emphasis on the past tense) is that it was infinitely sustainable.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

isktars in deklein was the golden age of eve pve :colbert:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Raged posted:

I know the mwd trick very well it doesn't work all of the time. Bubbles that pop after I start moving seem to bring my ship to a halt. Also playing from Australia seems to be a big disadvantage when it comes to insta locking.

If a bubble stops you after you started moving, you clicked the warp button which means you did it wrong. What happens in this case is your ship accelerates to 75% speed, tries to warp, can't warp, and then stops. A bubble that goes up just before you go into warp still stops warp. To do cloak + MWD you need to align to something. Or better yet, double click in empty space or use q-move to pick a vector that is more defensive and less predictable than a celestial.

Good dictor pilots will intentionally try to trick you into clicking warp, by waiting to put up a bubble until after they see you decloak. It's called a "delay bubble".

Playing from australia is a major disadvantage if you're on the gatecamp side, but less of one when running the camp. All of the operations you are sending to the server are "round up to end of tick" operations -- your move command and module activations don't take effect until the end of the tick they were received. You have a tighter window to execute the clock+mwd and have them activate at the end of same tick that you dropped gate clock. But it's still like a 1/2 second window at worst, that's not exactly MLG gamer reflexes.

Raged posted:

I don't mind losing ships I have lost a gently caress ton in my years in the game I just mind that making isk in any significant quantity is a fuckton harder and much less pleasurable than it has been before. Not because of the war, but because CCP wants most new isk to be generated by plex.

People who have saved up billions upon billion over the years aren't going to notice it right away, but someone who is isk poor in the current eve compared to old eve sure as hell does.

Yeah the economy is whack because all these changes are happening at once and things haven't settled down to a new stable point where the different income sources balance out.

OTOH, plex has always been the most time-efficient way to make money in eve, if you have a job. That's not CCP, that's the players and the fact that people will spend 12 hours grinding to make the equivalent of $15.

Otacon posted:

Bonus video of him vs Boat: https://streamable.com/f8ilxh (sincerely a pro-click)

Also doing it wrong: activating the MWD before the cloak, and clicking on them with the mouse. Put cloak and mwd on f1 & f2, hit both in rapid succession.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not to knock it, but I'm always skeptical about the ISK/hr purported to come out of WHs. I don't doubt that a grip of sites can have a lot of ISK -- I doubt the sustainability of it. How many hours can you maintain 300 ISK/hr?

A large part of what made nullsec PVE attractive (emphasis on the past tense) is that it was infinitely sustainable.

It fully depends on the amount of sites in the wormhole itself. It's not an afk depoy drones and see you in 3 hours kinda ratting. You have to swap reps alot, watch D-scan for bads, watch your probe scanner for new signatures.

I personally would do enough that I could get 1 bill per day when I did it. Which if you have the 2 people running 6 accounts setup is 4 sites (give or take) in blue loot

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/17cNu8hxqJKqkkPnhDlIuJY-IT6ps7kTNCd3BEz0Bvqs/pubhtml

The c5 page shows you the sites. Doing the drifter and garrisons is where the money is at

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Otacon posted:

this is a very interesting read and he's done great work

surprised he dumped it on reddit, a better-run alliance would have kept this sort of info in-house

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
For anyone considering running Alpha's in a VM bear in mind that if caught you'll get some ire from CCP about the EULA violation.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Hexel posted:

Think it was the active ratting Talos, personally. What was it, 70-90m/hr? Legit insane isk/hr for a battlecruiser hull. Of course it was nerfed like two weeks after I completed the skill train for it. :negative: And so I trained into a carrier because home defense was so easy back then. Nerfed again a month after I got in into a carrier. :negative: I think that's when I kinda gave up on ratting unless it was in an afk myrm. I've been subbing and plexin' ever since I got a steady job. €100 every 4-6 months suits my playstyle. I'll never get into a super/titan but they're too stressful anyway.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 25, 2021

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

For me personally, if I run into a gatecamp while doing explo I just crash the gate and take the wormhole superhighway to another place.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

School Nickname posted:

Think it was the active ratting Talos, personally. What was it, 70-90m/hr? Legit insane isk/hr for a battlecruiser hull. Of course it was nerfed like two weeks after I completed the skill train for it. :negative: And so I trained into a carrier because home defense was so easy back then. Nerfed again a month after I got in into a carrier. :negative: I think that's when I kinda gave up on ratting unless it was in an afk myrm.

Back when FA was in fade, i would get 45m tick with my Vindicator. That was pretty neat and the adrenaline rush when a neut or red jumped in system beat any rollercoaster i have ever been on.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i miss super carrier ratting so much

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My main problem with C5 stuff is "first, you need 3 or 4 characters..."

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Dalael posted:

Back when FA was in fade, i would get 45m tick with my Vindicator. That was pretty neat and the adrenaline rush when a neut or red jumped in system beat any rollercoaster i have ever been on.

I loved vindi ratting in guristas space, did it ever work well in delve? or whats the blingy subcap people used in delve prior the war?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

I loved vindi ratting in guristas space, did it ever work well in delve? or whats the blingy subcap people used in delve prior the war?

being kin/therm damage locked doesnt do well against em/therm rats :rip:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hexel posted:

Fuckin this

I did enjoy wh poo poo with a bling rear end nightmare years ago, it was good money and just chilling making GBS threads up comms while sleepers exploded. The inevitable invasions were also fun imo, but that's besides the point.

Money making currently sucks and ccp doesn't know wtf other than to break poo poo because ~sandbox~

CCP is the kids that ate cat turds in the sandbox and tried to convince you it was tasty and cool

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I was really sad when they nerfed tier 3 BC blaster ratting.

Cuddletime
Nov 29, 2016
Isn't smartbomb ratting still kind of a thing? I seem to remember Atrum pinging something about raising military indexes with cheap amarr hulls, though I never really tried it.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Dalael posted:

How many alts do you have tho?

An issue with this game is you need 3 accounts to do anything worthwhile that makes money and that sucks

I have a alt in jita for selling stuff. I mean its not like doing C4s solo is easy - its an upfront 2bil investment that you can easily lose if you get ganked.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yyyyyup. I'm sure it's fun and profitable, but it's a shitload of logistics and risk.

Again why I'm so bullish on HS mining and abyssals: you print unlimited risk-free money on demand.

Klyith posted:

OTOH, plex has always been the most time-efficient way to make money in eve, if you have a job. That's not CCP, that's the players and the fact that people will spend 12 hours grinding to make the equivalent of $15.

This is true if you want to buy mid-range PVP ships now and then. IMO it's less true if you want to be rich, multibox caps/supers, etc. At least for me, I couldn't justify $40 USD on just that Titan skillbook, you know?

I've only put money into Eve for long subscriptions, which basically double your investment vs. selling plex if you do decide to extract skills later. But everyone has a different playstyle and long-term goals.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I missed this, but you are essentially correct. To do wormholes correctly, you really need to establish a foothold in a hole with favorable statics. You then need to roll the statics you have to get systems that you can farm (don't have hostiles, have a good number of sites, ect). Its a pretty big logistical investment to get setup initially and you will likely need to be prepared to defend your astra at some point. Once you are all setup, its actually easy to make money but you are constantly risking a lot too.

e: hard numbers

It takes about 10-15 minutes to roll a static. On average so far i've found that about 1/3rd of C4 wormholes are viable (no hostiles, plenty of sites). A viable C4 hole will usually get you ~1.5bil.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 25, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving poo poo, schaden's gone? gently caress. God damnit. gently caress. :negative:

He's the dude who taught me most of what I knew about eve, and also that Minot ND is a shithole

gently caress.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

That and I think a lot of wh isk/hr stats do not involve the actual moving of the blue loot as a part of their time calculation. Moving to include scanning an exit (exit chain in the case if C4+) Time spent in transit, etc. Oh and hope you didn’t put all your eggs in one basket and your drunk Polish friend gets his BR decloaked and blapped by globby.

Null ratting was great because it was an activity you could pick up, do for an hour, then go on a fleet or something. Dank 3 ticks of money I didn’t have to do anything to get other than make rats blow up. But alas we can’t have nice things.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

orange juche posted:

loving poo poo, schaden's gone? gently caress. God damnit. gently caress. :negative:

He's the dude who taught me most of what I knew about eve, and also that Minot ND is a shithole

gently caress.
Why not Minot?

But seriously, Minot makes Fargo look nice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It drives me nuts that almost every 'make isk' guide starts with 'have 30 million sp and/or several billion isk'

I wish one of the people who knows all the money making inside and out would roll a new character, and do the money making bit with no outside support (like being bankrolled by their main) and figure out an isk making for idiot newbies guide.

I can't ask for people to subsidize my attempts to figure poo poo out, the only thing I ever made isk at in this game was ratting in delve with a carrier or an isktar, and it took 5 years of grinding to get to having those. I'm too old for 5 years of grinding

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
^^ yea no idea, its rough having no SP. My unironic goto would be to scam someone out of a couple bill. When I had no SP I made all my money on bookmark scams and selling advanced learning skillbooks in syndicate at a 2000% markup (not sorry).

Saul Kain posted:

That and I think a lot of wh isk/hr stats do not involve the actual moving of the blue loot as a part of their time calculation. Moving to include scanning an exit (exit chain in the case if C4+) Time spent in transit, etc. Oh and hope you didn’t put all your eggs in one basket and your drunk Polish friend gets his BR decloaked and blapped by globby.

Not gonna lie, moving 2+bil worth of blue loot is not good for your heart. That being said, a wormhole with a static highsec connection is wonderful and fairly safe (especially if you use something cloaky).

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 25, 2021

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

It drives me nuts that almost every 'make isk' guide starts with 'have 30 million sp and/or several billion isk'

I wish one of the people who knows all the money making inside and out would roll a new character, and do the money making bit with no outside support (like being bankrolled by their main) and figure out an isk making for idiot newbies guide.

I can't ask for people to subsidize my attempts to figure poo poo out, the only thing I ever made isk at in this game was ratting in delve with a carrier or an isktar, and it took 5 years of grinding to get to having those. I'm too old for 5 years of grinding

i want to say a retvet posted itt recently about rolling a character from scratch after having been a god tier money maker on their old chars and are up 50b since august, but i dont remember if that was station trading in jita or if it involved day tripping/no life'ing wormholes

the only thing i know is that they made my net worth in an absurbly short amount of time

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i want to say a retvet posted itt recently about rolling a character from scratch after having been a god tier money maker on their old chars and are up 50b since august, but i dont remember if that was station trading in jita or if it involved day tripping/no life'ing wormholes

the only thing i know is that they made my net worth in an absurbly short amount of time

Iirc it was no-life'ing something to get seed money for market shenanigans that were also pretty no-life.

I have a life, even with the pandemic, lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
We just had someone in this thread talk about how easy production is and then glossed over how much sp you need to to do some basic things. Nothing seems worse bang for its buck sp wise then industry.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

We just had someone in this thread talk about how easy production is and then glossed over how much sp you need to to do some basic things. Nothing seems worse bang for its buck sp wise then industry.

Yeah, industry seems to need a stable of paid for alts to actually be profitable, and to break into the big leagues you have to be socially adept enough to get some alliance's leadership to give you those inner circle contracts.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

evilweasel posted:

surprised he dumped it on reddit, a better-run alliance would have kept this sort of info in-house

a better-run alliance probably wouldn't be encouraging a 20-40 man gatecamp of their own system that accomplishes nothing of strategic value

coelomate posted:

This is true if you want to buy mid-range PVP ships now and then. IMO it's less true if you want to be rich, multibox caps/supers, etc. At least for me, I couldn't justify $40 USD on just that Titan skillbook, you know?

yeah but exploration / ratting / mining / anything else that makes ~100m isk an hour are also not gonna make you that level of rich, unless you do them for years. and some people do have the money for titans because they afk ratted for years, but I would guess they in some way enjoyed the ratting as well as the isk.

for someone who had that level of eve-rich as a goal, I wouldn't tell them to drop $2k on plex cause that's idiotic. But with a small investment you could get the upfront capital needed for getting into market moguling, import/export, or T2 production. Those things are also require putting in work, plus some intelligence, but are far less laborious.

but for someone that hates every aspect of eve other than pvp, going on fleets, and chilling with buddies, my advice would be to look for cheap thrills and abandon any dreams of multiboxing titans because that's just not realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Sickening posted:

Not to mention the trial and error that happens when you go to sell the output and realize there is no demand. I had a scheme to make 400million/day with PI by buying the inputs and doing one step and selling the outputs from that.

I literally crashed the market for the component I was making and lost most of my initial investment in about a day.