Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

relative_q posted:

what the gently caress is with win10 and its continually failing updates? seems like once a month or so i'm having to rebuild my studio desktop because some bullshit update didn't install properly and it fucks up the entire os. then when i try to uninstall the feature update, it can't do it and i gotta reset the whole fuckin thing

loving this.

I have Boot Camp installed for the sole purpose of running MS Flight Simulator and it keeps failing with an error code in hex, and the official support doc says 'run the wizard' which can't find anything wrong so I guess I'll just die now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perhaps you should not run windows on a computer designed for an linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ultimately the problem is the linux computer has a hosed up 3rd party efi that isnt standards based like a real computer's efi so you cant just install windows without loving around in linux.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My tray problem was that I didn’t have the proper SSD adapter for the HP tray btw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
excel question

let’s say i have some cells

code:
a1 robert 
b2 janice 
c1 neely 
d1
e1
f1 jack
g1 douglas
etc

so gap between some entries

can I then create some other cells somewhere that copy the same data but miss out the gaps?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

excel question

let’s say i have some cells

code:
a1 robert 
b2 janice 
c1 neely 
d1
e1
f1 jack
g1 douglas
etc

so gap between some entries

can I then create some other cells somewhere that copy the same data but miss out the gaps?

=filter(a1:g1;a1:g1<>"") maybe?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks dude. didn’t know about that function

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

you can just create an auto filter and exclude blanks and copy paste too

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i have a 4k tv and a ubuntu sbc (an Nvidia shield) that is too slow to do youtube at 4k, but if i change my resolution to 1080 the windows on ubuntu are insanely large. Is there a secret display scaling seeing somewhere that is causing this? the scaling in the display menu is 1 but the desktop icons and settings menu are stupidly large compared to the (correct size imo) launcher buttons.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I run the stock os on my shield tv and it handles 4k no problem ??

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
sorry, not nvidia shield. its a jetson

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 24, 2021

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my imac ground to a halt last week and killed its ssd. went to check time machine and my backups were corrupted. bought a new ssd and put it in last night and it killed that one too. cool

anyone ever restore from a sparsebundle?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I bought this old ThinkPad on ebay specifically because it had Windows 3.1 installed on it. Surprisingly a lot of stuff works properly on it. It somehow detects the USB port (or at least it detects an external USB floppy just fine) and the trackpoint and CD ROM drive also work fine.

I can't get sound working to save my life though. The exact model number is IBM ThinkPad Z60m. Info online is pretty sparse. Does anyone know of any way I can get sound to work on it? Either some sort of driver or autoexec.bat command that will get it to work? It's been literally decades since I've used Windows 3.1 and I'm extremely rusty so I've spent almost the whole weekend trying to get sound working on it.

I really want to show a lot of old programs and games to my kids so any help would mean a lot. They already love this art program that came with it and the greeting card marker. :) Thanks in advance!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

does it even have one?

set blaster = a220 i5 d1 in autoexec.bat is usually painless, and when it's painful, you can tell the irq conflict from the other device that stops working

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

does it even have one?

set blaster = a220 i5 d1 in autoexec.bat is usually painless, and when it's painful, you can tell the irq conflict from the other device that stops working

Does it even have what, a sound card? I take it that's different than a sound chipset or whatever?

Funnily enough I checked the autoexec.bat and what you wrote was exactly what was in there.

Here's the weird and lucky update. I found some executable in the Windows directory and I opened it and it was this hot mess

I actually clicked "install selected items" and now sound works! Lmao

I have no idea what it did. I guess the "PC Speaker Driver"? I have no clue what the hell that even is.

The only downside is the audio is very crappy. Like it sounds like it's struggling to play a wav file. So any true fix would be awesome.

I also can't get midis to play. Is there any easy way around that? I'm dying for some Chips Challenge music.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

midi music would be invoked specifically with a set midi statement, set midi=synth:1 map:e mode:0 is a default-ish, if your sound controller even has a midi adapter

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The only downside is the audio is very crappy. Like it sounds like it's struggling to play a wav file. So any true fix would be awesome.

drop out of windows and see if it's any better in dos

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

midi music would be invoked specifically with a set midi statement, set midi=synth:1 map:e mode:0 is a default-ish, if your sound controller even has a midi adapter

Does this look correct?

If that looks correct unfortunately it didn't work.

flakeloaf posted:

drop out of windows and see if it's any better in dos

I actually don't know how to play a wav file in dos lol

Edit: I just opened the laptop and it's a sata drive. How the hell did this person install Windows 3.1 to a drat sata drive? I recall XP being difficult to install to a sata drive :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 24, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You just set the bios to IDE mode.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Really? I remember when I had a sata drive with xp I had to use a floppy disk to load sata drivers just so xp could even see the drive

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you ran the drive in AHCI mode, which you definitely should have, then yes you needed to load drivers from a floppy.

In IDE mode that wasn't needed, but performance wasn't nearly as good.

A common trick was to install in IDE mode, then install the SATA drivers, and then reboot with the drive into sata mode.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

A common trick was to install in IDE mode, then install the SATA drivers, and then reboot with the drive into sata mode.

usually because the win95 installer would poo poo itself off you tried to partition and format a sata drive at install time

being a dos program, win3x would run on any drive it fit on

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

why did you buy a laptop from 2005 to run an OS from 1992? :pwn:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to show my kids a bunch of windows 3.1 software I loved as a kid and every time I tried to do a virtual windows 3.1 machine it always ran like poo poo. I guess the joke's on me though because it's running like poo poo on this machine too lol

I guess I should have bought a genuine 3.1 machine

They are already in love with this crappy mario paint rip off that came with it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I wanted to show my kids a bunch of windows 3.1 software I loved as a kid and every time I tried to do a virtual windows 3.1 machine it always ran like poo poo. I guess the joke's on me though because it's running like poo poo on this machine too lol

I guess I should have bought a genuine 3.1 machine

They are already in love with this crappy mario paint rip off that came with it

DosBox-X with a fixed number of cycles (386-486) running windows 3.1 has worked really well for me. There are pre-configured bundles you can download. I was able to get a windows version of kings quest (with swank graphics and "girl in the tower") running flawlessly for my GF.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

having some weird storage issues on win10 (20H2). i've got a number of iSCSI LUNs mounted that i keep all my media on. recently i've noticed that sometimes when doing a number of I/O intensive operations explorer starts acting weirdly.

sometimes it starts hanging when i ask it to do copy/delete files on the volumes. the file delete/copy progress dialog box appears and it just sits there doing nothing. everything else works fine and i can still read/write to the volumes but explorer is cooked and i have to reboot to unfuck it.

yesterday it got into a state where the UI stopped responding so i tried to kill and restart explorer.exe but that didn't work so i had no UI and it wasn't even responding to ctrl+alt+del. i ended up having to do a hard-reset as i couldn't do anything in windows. immediately prior to everything loving up i'd just finished copying ~70GB across to one of the iSCSI volumes.

there's nothing in the event logs that explain what is going on nor are there any crash dumps because it's not actually crashing, just locking up and becoming unresponsive. it's pissing me off i tell you what!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

DosBox-X with a fixed number of cycles (386-486) running windows 3.1 has worked really well for me. There are pre-configured bundles you can download. I was able to get a windows version of kings quest (with swank graphics and "girl in the tower") running flawlessly for my GF.

If there's a specific bundle you'd recommend I'd love to know what it is. Emulating Windows was always a shitshow for me. Everything would do that thing where you'd see tearing just dragging a window.

I also kinda want to get internet working because I want to see if I can get old versions of AOL to work

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

If there's a specific bundle you'd recommend I'd love to know what it is. Emulating Windows was always a shitshow for me. Everything would do that thing where you'd see tearing just dragging a window.

uh, windows 3.1 *vastly* predates smooth window movements.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I also kinda want to get internet working because I want to see if I can get old versions of AOL to work

is the stuff you're trying to run not on GOG? their packaged launchers are solid and will run old stuff on new hardware quite well. also their prices aren't bad at all.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

spankmeister posted:

Perhaps you should not run windows on a computer designed for an linux

macklemore <3 Linux

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

hey so running a public server with multiple proxmox vms hosting various services should be easier to connect to a single .com domain with multiple sub domains, (eg Nextcloud.personaldomain.com ; erp.publicdomain.com ; etc) and a single central website when ppl click through on Google Maps, or whatever, but Christalmighty wtf this nginx reverseproxy and https letsencrypt make everything fkin’ weird and I just can’t find how people do it

what’s the smart way to think about this? I like ngrok for how quick I can run a script, but most domain hosts don’t do this unless anyone knows of one with some quick automated deployment, yeah?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Am I allowed to post a gdrive link here? I've got one configured with 1024x768, sound blaster and midi support. You just mount the root folder as C and run windows.bat - It runs fine on a raspberry pi 4. Fixed cycles works better than the dynamic recompilation core. I've also got the entertainment pack squirreled away as a seperate zip.

There shouldn't be significant tearing with windows 3 - it just shows an empty rectangle when you drag things around.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
You can pass a serial port through to dosbox. Not sure how it would work with a modern win-modem, but if you have an old serial modem sitting around it should work. Just make sure you have a real, honest to god POTS line - twisted pair back to the central office. Dialup modems don't like packet based telephony.

Windows 95/98 can have a lot of hangups with emulation. Windows 3.1 doesn't have a real HAL as far as I know - it still uses DOS to do a lot of heavy lifting. 95/98 had their own special versions of DOS with a lot of undocumented interfaces between the two. Fun fact - the reason everything froze when accessing a floppy was because it was falling back to real mode and bios routines to access the drives.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 26, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i love dosbox so much, the kind of thing where community-driven open source really shines. should tinker a bit myself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Am I allowed to post a gdrive link here? I've got one configured with 1024x768, sound blaster and midi support. You just mount the root folder as C and run windows.bat - It runs fine on a raspberry pi 4. Fixed cycles works better than the dynamic recompilation core. I've also got the entertainment pack squirreled away as a seperate zip.

There shouldn't be significant tearing with windows 3 - it just shows an empty rectangle when you drag things around.

I mean you can easily find ISOs of Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and even ME on archive.org so I can't imagine mods here would get pissy if you posted the link. I know I'd greatly appreciate it, for one.

Does it work in Windows or does it have to be on a Raspberri Pi?

Pile Of Garbage posted:

is the stuff you're trying to run not on GOG? their packaged launchers are solid and will run old stuff on new hardware quite well. also their prices aren't bad at all.

A lot of the stuff I want to run is really dumb, like old crappy card creators like Print Shop Deluxe, or AOL 3.0, and KidSoft/KidPix CD-ROMs.

yeah I know it's really goofy to be nostalgic for this stuff. I also really like showing my kids the progression of things. I whipped out a Blu-Ray of Little Shop of Horrors the other day and my 5 year old and 3 year old both called it a record :3:

I remember a few years ago my wife's friend came by so she asked me to entertain her 8 year old son so they could chat, so I showed him my NES since he loves Mario games and he couldn't get past the first screen in Super Mario Bros because he was so used to 3-d that 2-d literally made no sense to him. So I am starting my kids out with old games when we play together just so they are used to everything. Also the old graphics don't look outdated to them which is a nice benefit too. My 5 year old loves playing TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan on the GameBoy before bed time.

I've been letting my 5 and 3 year old play with the ThinkPad z60m and they are both already getting used to the touchpad and using physical keys which I really like instead of the thing where kids assume all screens are touch. I know it's super nerdy but I like showing them stuff this way :)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Unless posted:

hey so running a public server with multiple proxmox vms hosting various services should be easier to connect to a single .com domain with multiple sub domains, (eg Nextcloud.personaldomain.com ; erp.publicdomain.com ; etc) and a single central website when ppl click through on Google Maps, or whatever, but Christalmighty wtf this nginx reverseproxy and https letsencrypt make everything fkin’ weird and I just can’t find how people do it

what’s the smart way to think about this? I like ngrok for how quick I can run a script, but most domain hosts don’t do this unless anyone knows of one with some quick automated deployment, yeah?

nginx and letsencrypt should "just work" for the most part
the smart way would be to use a wildcard cert so you only need one, you can get one with letsencrypt if your dns host supports dns-01 auth like cloudflare

the really smart way is to dockerize everything and use traefik to automagically do everything

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I mean you can easily find ISOs of Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and even ME on archive.org so I can't imagine mods here would get pissy if you posted the link. I know I'd greatly appreciate it, for one.

Does it work in Windows or does it have to be on a Raspberri Pi?

It runs on windows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-dA_BbJRpmq9OdiWlUtPxfw1OAJJr6RV/view?usp=sharing

let me know when you've downloaded it so I can deactivate the link.

Download dosbox-x from: https://dosbox-x.com/

Install, launch. You should get a dos prompt. run "mount c c:/path/to/unzipped/" then change drive to c, do a dir and you should see the contents as the root of the C:. At that point run windows.bat and it should launch. I'd pick a 386 or 486 from the CPU drop down. Just like the good old days, you may have to play around with the settings for himem and emm386 to have enough of the right ram for programs to run.

There are a bunch of options to fiddle with for scalers, aspect ratio correction, etc. Dosbox-x makes it easy as it gives you a bunch of drop down menus.

The raspberry pi 4 comment was more a "should run on anything sandy bridge or newer".

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Archive.org has an immense collection of windows 3.1 shareware and some full programs. Might want to look for one of those 5,000 shareware programs! disks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It runs on windows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-dA_BbJRpmq9OdiWlUtPxfw1OAJJr6RV/view?usp=sharing

let me know when you've downloaded it so I can deactivate the link.

Download dosbox-x from: https://dosbox-x.com/

Install, launch. You should get a dos prompt. run "mount c c:/path/to/unzipped/" then change drive to c, do a dir and you should see the contents as the root of the C:. At that point run windows.bat and it should launch. I'd pick a 386 or 486 from the CPU drop down. Just like the good old days, you may have to play around with the settings for himem and emm386 to have enough of the right ram for programs to run.

There are a bunch of options to fiddle with for scalers, aspect ratio correction, etc. Dosbox-x makes it easy as it gives you a bunch of drop down menus.

The raspberry pi 4 comment was more a "should run on anything sandy bridge or newer".

Thanks a million! You can delete it now. I love the wallpaper lol

Unfortunately even trying to open "Freecell" gives me an insufficient memory error. I believe this is exactly why I gave up on DOSBox a long time ago. I am doing this on a laptop with a 7th gen i7 processor with 64gb of RAM if that matters

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thanks a million! You can delete it now. I love the wallpaper lol

Unfortunately even trying to open "Freecell" gives me an insufficient memory error. I believe this is exactly why I gave up on DOSBox a long time ago. I am doing this on a laptop with a 7th gen i7 processor with 64gb of RAM if that matters

That's an actual windows 3 error - Let me take a look and figure out how to enable extended memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It will work right away if you download vanilla dosbox (dosbox.com)- the downside is that you have to edit an ini file if you want to tweak dos settings.

If you remember editing config.sys and autoexec.bat to free/set up memory that's what I'm trying to figure out for dosbox.c