Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My mum likes sending me gigantic animal stickers via text, I think it's adorable :3:

I did have to check her phone contract though, can't imagine how much she'd be paying otherwise.

The Class 151 prototype Sprinter is a diesel multiple unit train that you might catch on the way to a meeting to discuss how I shouldn't be allowed to snipe pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
This brexit thing keeps getting better and better

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1353749558745051140?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Get ready for the announcement on the re-introduction of roaming phone charges soon too.

Not that that matters for the foreseeable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

e: And some far more wholesome (but hopefully as accurate) snowposting

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 25, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1353704918050349061?s=20

Boris thinks to save the Union he needs to come here despite having personal popularity in Scotland somewhere between Margaret Thatcher & Osama Bin Laden, in the middle of a loving pandemic. Flying from London. When we're being told to stay at home and only make necessary travel. Breaking lockdown to appeal to his own vanity.

I want someone to kick him in the head like they are John Smeaton & he is the Glasgow Airport failed terrorist.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 25, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Boris thinks to save the Union he needs to come here despite having personal popularity in Scotland somewhere between Margaret Thatcher & Osama Bin Laden, in the middle of a loving pandemic. Flying from London. When we're being told to stay at home and only make necessary travel.

I want someone to kick him in the head like they are John Smeaton & he is the Glasgow Airport failed terrorist.

I would point out that John Smeaton kicked the terrorist in the balls, but this is Boris Johnson he'd be kicking.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently mealworms are going to be the next hot food source in Europe, now that they've finally been shown to be safe to eat millennia after SEAsia figured that out.

The worms themselves can digest polystyrene too.

tbf people doing something for a long time doesn't necessarily prove it's a good idea

For example people keep buying liqueur chocolates even tho they are objectively disgusting

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

I would point out that John Smeaton kicked the terrorist in the balls, but this is Boris Johnson he'd be kicking.

Ach, there's plenty of Boris to go around. Balls, face, gut, arse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Random Integer posted:

tbf people doing something for a long time doesn't necessarily prove it's a good idea

For example people keep buying liqueur chocolates even tho they are objectively disgusting
It's true, but they never needed to prove that it'd be true for any other animals, and this is a potential way to cause a ton of arguments with vegans about the nature of suffering move away from the worst forms of industrial animal culture.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Cancer travels up bloodstream to warn against the dangers of chemo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

1) Liver is great if you cook it properly with onions and bacon.

2) Pate is made through animal cruelty.

Yeah, foie gras is but not your standard pork liver pate, no more than any other meat product anyway.

I did try foie gras once because it was offered and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and it's honestly bizarre. It was grated over the dish and both looked at tasted almost like strong cheese. Nice enough but insanely rich and I don't think I'd want it very often even ignoring the welfare issues.

Posh foods that do deserve their rep though: truffles. gently caress me those things are incredible.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Clearly our food source of the future should be the Korean penis worm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope it doesn't share the same etymology as the liver fluke.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

I have bad news for you about literally all the meat you eat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ThomasPaine posted:

Posh foods that do deserve their rep though: truffles. gently caress me those things are incredible.

One of my favourite memories of my old job is the owner and his son going for an expensive meal which we had to process the bill payment for and seeing a grating of exotic truffle being a £40 extra charge

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not all foie gras requires animal cruelty its just the most efficient way to make it. i don't know if you've watched geese feed but they go nuts if they have enough food

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Scotland, do the needful.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ed: VVV I didn't read it carefully enough, closing date was 11th jan. Sorry folks :(

Job for all you cyber security geeks ITT

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/jobs/vacancies/cyber-security-engagement-manager/

Your experience, skills and ability

Experience of cyber security incidents, GDPR and the NIS Regulations, particularly in the context of incident response and management.
Knowledge of the relevant regulatory frameworks, both in the UK and internationally
Relevant experience of planning and managing cyber incident response (desirable)
Strong communication skills and be confident in engaging with senior stakeholders, both internally and externally.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 25, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

1) Liver is great if you cook it properly with onions and bacon.

Foie gras is truly animal cruelty, ordinary liver pate is joyous, my old head chef used to make gallons of it every month and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! :discourse:

edit:

Miftan posted:

It's a choice we all have to make, went vegetarian for the duration of the BSE crisis but could never go vegan... i like meat as an option nowadays.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 25, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mrpwase posted:

My mum likes sending me gigantic animal stickers via text, I think it's adorable :3:

I did have to check her phone contract though, can't imagine how much she'd be paying otherwise.

The Class 151 prototype Sprinter is a diesel multiple unit train that you might catch on the way to a meeting to discuss how I shouldn't be allowed to snipe pages

I hacked into mother's BT online account (she has no idea how to access it) - couldn't believe how expensive her bills were - £50 a month alone phoning my sister on her mobile! She's now on an 'unlimited' package.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Job for all you cyber security geeks ITT

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/jobs/vacancies/cyber-security-engagement-manager/

Your experience, skills and ability

Experience of cyber security incidents, GDPR and the NIS Regulations, particularly in the context of incident response and management.
Knowledge of the relevant regulatory frameworks, both in the UK and internationally
Relevant experience of planning and managing cyber incident response (desirable)
Strong communication skills and be confident in engaging with senior stakeholders, both internally and externally.

quote:

In addition, you will be required to take the lead the delivery of post Brexit collaboration plans with national and international competent authorities under the NIS Regulations.

If you are interested in this secondment role, please send a CV and covering letter to recruitment@ico.org.uk by 9am on 11 January.

Aww :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miftan posted:

I was going to say something similar. That said, I’m a meat-eating hypocrite, although I eat meat infrequently and try to stick to duck and lamb, both because they’re delicious and can’t be intensively reared. I’ve also cut down on eggs a lot recently.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I haven’t played it yet but I know it’s one of the UKMT’s recommended games and Disco Elysium is apparently at the best price ever, at least on GOG.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Red Oktober posted:

I haven’t played it yet but I know it’s one of the UKMT’s recommended games and Disco Elysium is apparently at the best price ever, at least on GOG.

it was the same price in the Christmas steam sale but yes, its a very good game and will make you feel very smart (and incredibly dumb)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Boris thinks to save the Union he needs to come here despite having personal popularity in Scotland somewhere between Margaret Thatcher & Osama Bin Laden, in the middle of a loving pandemic. Flying from London. When we're being told to stay at home and only make necessary travel. Breaking lockdown to appeal to his own vanity.

So, I haven't check in on Brexit in some months (dealing with US insanity) is Scotland leaving really likely to happen now? I thought Parliament was preventing a second referendum, but if the big boy is spooked and going there, it sounds like stuff is more serious than I thought.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oops - I missed that closing date :(
Mind you maybe they'll extend it for a really good candidate.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bone Crimes posted:

So, I haven't check in on Brexit in some months (dealing with US insanity) is Scotland leaving really likely to happen now? I thought Parliament was preventing a second referendum, but if the big boy is spooked and going there, it sounds like stuff is more serious than I thought.

Go back 5-10 pages, there was a big discussion about exactly this

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bone Crimes posted:

Boris is probably just going there to have sex with someone who looks like his mum, and the whole 'save the union' thing is a charade

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oops - I missed that closing date :(
Mind you maybe they'll extend it for a really good candidate.

The wording (and lack of posted salary) says this is a box-ticking exercise to show they advertised it before just getting in someone from Capita.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Go back 5-10 pages, there was a big discussion about exactly this

Cool, went back and reading now - looks like it starts around page 135 with some fun nationalism discussion.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bone Crimes posted:

Cool, went back and reading now - looks like it starts around page 135 with some fun nationalism discussion.

Yeah you can skip that mess. The "how a new referendum could happen" chat starts a page or two after that cools down

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bone Crimes posted:

Apparently the plan in England is to just ignore Scotland's breakup texts and hope they never actually change the locks. Right now the popularity of independence is 58% in Scotland, 48% in Northern Ireland, and 25% in Wales. The traditional justification for maintaining the union was economic, and that is clearly straight out the window at this point (not to mention a lot of the independence voters would still want self determination even if England was shipping them a Rolls Royce every year). And given that none of the UK-wide parties seem to have any plans about remedying all that, I'd wager those numbers can only go up.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/15/946242592/support-for-scottish-independence-is-growing-partly-due-to-u-k-s-covid-19-respon

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 25, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Boris thinks to save the Union he needs to come here despite having personal popularity in Scotland somewhere between Margaret Thatcher & Osama Bin Laden

Guessing OBL with the higher approval rating?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kaal posted:

Apparently the plan in England is to just ignore Scotland's breakup texts and hope they never actually change the locks. Right now the popularity of independence is 58% in Scotland, 48% in Northern Ireland, and 25% in Wales. The traditional justification for maintaining the union was economic, and that is clearly straight out the window at this point (not to mention a lot of the independence voters would still want self determination even if England was shipping them a Rolls Royce every year). And given that none of the UK-wide parties seem to have any plans about remedying all that, I'd wager those numbers can only go up.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/15/946242592/support-for-scottish-independence-is-growing-partly-due-to-u-k-s-covid-19-respon

Thread's saying a lot of "Scotland can't do it without aid" and "EU doesn't have a motive to help".

EU's motive to help Scotland are the past five years.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Borrovan posted:

I just picked up some M&S own-brand [haggis], it's made by Macsween but somebody told me it's better
This was loving fantastic btw, guessing there'll be a load reduced to clear tomorrow if anyone's getting a shop in, highly recommended

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

endlessmonotony posted:

Thread's saying a lot of "Scotland can't do it without aid" and "EU doesn't have a motive to help".

EU's motive to help Scotland are the past five years.

Oh agreed. I mean Ireland alone would be happy to help Scotland keep on its feet, if only to encourage Northern Ireland to make the same move. They could even invite Wales and create a United Kingdom of Independent Peoples, and then heat Scottish homes with Tory rage for the next 20 years.

Besides which, sometimes people want a divorce no matter how much jewelery they get offered. And England doesn't look like it'll be living large any time soon. Scotland would probably sort themselves out at least as well as they will under a Tory-Brexit UK (I mean look at how Ireland fared after they left the union) but this issue is not primarily driven by economics.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 25, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Miftan posted:

My wife and I tried these tonight and they were goddamn delicious

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/plant-pioneers/plant-pioneers-2-vegan-steaks-226g

Actually tasted like a meat steak. Texture was a bit weird but I'll take it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Kaal posted:

Oh agreed. I mean Ireland alone would be happy to help Scotland keep on its feet, if only to encourage Northern Ireland to make the same move. They could even invite Wales and create a United Kingdom of Independent Peoples, and then heat Scottish homes with Tory rage for the next 20 years.

Besides which, sometimes people want a divorce no matter how much jewelery they get offered. And England doesn't look like it'll be living large any time soon. Scotland would probably sort themselves out at least as well as they will under a Tory-Brexit UK (I mean look at how Ireland fared after they left the union) but this issue is not primarily driven by economics.

I’ve a pitch for the Celtic Union of Nations and Tribes somewhere...

In Ireland Tallaght Regional Technical College was upgrading along the lines of the Institutes of Technology like Dublin Institute of Technology (D.I.T.) and came within two meetings of being Tallaght Institute of Technology, only swerving at the last minute into Institute of Technology Tallaght.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Scotland would probably sort themselves out at least as well as they will under a Tory-Brexit UK (I mean look at how Ireland fared after they left the union) but this issue is not primarily driven by economics.

It's going to be wild to watch this government, which has just slammed Brexit into existence in large part on the basis of "some things are more important than economics and free travel, like sovereignty, national identity and culture!" turn round and try to talk Scotland into staying in a political union that it feels increasingly divorced from culturally on the basis of economics.

As someone who generally wants the union to stick around in some form (Federalism and the breakup of England now, please...), it's also going to be depressing watching all the same mistakes and misjudgements made by the Remain campaign in the Brexit referendum all over again - telling Scotland that everything's great and any sort of change is scary rather than even trying to offer actual solutions to problems.