Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The TV apps don't always have that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also youtube sometimes just decides to turn it back on, I'm pretty sure

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

also youtube sometimes just decides to turn it back on, I'm pretty sure
yep!!!!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lucky for me I largely do not have the problem of chuddy channels being recommended.

Instead I am stuck in some hell where I get a ton of Korean nail technician videos which are at once fascinating with the all sorts of hosed up pincer toenails Korea apparently has, but also super disappointing because they just use the dremel a lot instead of nail nippers. I just want to see nail fungus torn up and destroyed. Instead I am treated to fast forwarded footage of dremeling.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know they recently moved the autoplay down in the video player itself and it's on by default! I have to remember to turn it off on every device now since it still does occasionally turn itself back on for reasons

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's no way to turn of autoplay for playlists I'm pretty sure, and I don't think that's the only place where that brilliant innovation shows up.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Why wouldn't you want to have autoplay on a playlist?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Occasionally I wonder what became of Laci Green and her nazi boyfriend after she went right-wing, but then I realize that I don’t care and don’t want to be reminded of them. Chasing clicks can be dangerous business.

I completely forgot about Laci Green. Last I saw of her was her saying she was going to explore what it was like to be red-pilled, and she seemingly just disappeared. Or maybe I unfollowed her, I don't remember

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kamrat posted:

Why wouldn't you want to have autoplay on a playlist?

Because if I fall asleep I don’t want the next video to run, but I found the video through the playlist.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

They split up a while ago. They both still make content. Nothing that appears to be of any interest whatsoever quite frankly, though I wonder if they're trying to push to some sort of more liberal/left of centre type thing. I don't think anyone would really take interest aside from folks who already follow them because, well...just not very good, is it? Would people think it's genuine, or just another grift? And more importantly, who gives a poo poo when there's many better videos to watch?

This could describe various others who appear on the surface to have taken some kind of vaguely leftie swing away from the sort of generic anti-SJW content that they did as opposed to what the likes of TheQuartering do (I presume that's the main fella in nine gear crow's mind?). Shoe0nhead, Jeff Holliday, Hunter Avallone...I fancy many people just wouldn't care or believe such a thing to actually be in any way genuine, and quite frankly after years of poo poo that did little except attract and empower right-wingers, who can really blame them?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Argas posted:

Lucky for me I largely do not have the problem of chuddy channels being recommended.

Instead I am stuck in some hell where I get a ton of Korean nail technician videos which are at once fascinating with the all sorts of hosed up pincer toenails Korea apparently has, but also super disappointing because they just use the dremel a lot instead of nail nippers. I just want to see nail fungus torn up and destroyed. Instead I am treated to fast forwarded footage of dremeling.

This sounds like me except the wormhole I fell down was the depths of car detailing YouTube so my recs are nothing but power washing and fabric extraction.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Man, after reading this thread sometimes I have to say I am REALLY, REALLY glad that when auto play comes on my YouTube, it just goes to GDQ play throughs and Game Grumps.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, can't imagine how you might get to the chuddier parts of the internet from youtube autoplaying old game grumps videos

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Anti-SJW/Status Quo Warrior/alt-right courting channels are still fairly big, they've simply borrowed themselves into nerd/pop culture and nested there like a tick instead of out and out explicit political channels. These folks are wave riders, they're on top, then they fade and a new wave of folks crop up to take their place. I imagine in five years time the current crop of folks who I'm going "how do these asswipes even have an audience?" to will in fact no longer have audiences, and I will have to be reminded that they even exist like Thunderf00t and Davis Arooni, while saying the same thing about the wave that supplanted them--who will all be screaming and crying about the same poo poo their forebears did as well, because this poo poo never changes. Only this this time one of them will spring for wearing an actual toilet on their head instead of a plastic thing that merely looks suspiciously like a urinal.

I take comfort in the fact that already The Quartering seems to be having trouble. He's complained at length about how his metrics aren't what they were. (The lack of Brie Larson films is a very drought for some people.) Mostly he seems to either just follow the wave or go after smaller content creators he thinks his fan base out numbers, possibly after the SonicFox thing and learning his arms are too short to box with God.

nine-gear crow posted:

And the nerd subset of that is basically people going "Does a non-white and/or non-male person say something or exist in a media property I allegedly love? I will scream endlessly about on YouTube in my urinal helmet for click money."

The Krystina Arielle* thing is the newest content mine.

*'Who?' some might ask. 'She's a black woman doing a Star Wars thing,' I would answer. 'Oh,' you would respond, depressed realization on your face.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

When I saw Laura Dale tweet on how the Jimquisition's latest video was a "big one" and saw "20 minutes", I didn't realize it was another kind of "big"

Congrats, James Stephanie Sterling, on the new name and presentation!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2021

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
"I am a trash girl from the gender dumpster" is just a good fuckin' line.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
"Non-Binary Finery" Is also an amazing turn of phrase.

That said, capitalism is depressing as usual.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For all content creators who want more viewers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0Kijd4_4Q

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea there was a community tab.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've always avoided this guys videos because, well, animated avatars of the creator usually complain about feminism. It's a pretty good video though. I've noticed a few meme clip videos I watched have creators who spam the community poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I've always avoided this guys videos because, well, animated avatars of the creator usually complain about feminism. It's a pretty good video though. I've noticed a few meme clip videos I watched have creators who spam the community poo poo.

Yeah as far as I can tell he's just a yogscast guy using an animated avatar rather than himself on screen.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Kind of an unhealthy obsession with Yorkshire Tea, too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
He's not wrong though; Yorkshire Tea owns :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Famethrowa posted:

From what I can tell he's actually a good bloke despite what his choice of avatars would imply.

Lots of funny videos about games being perfectly balanced with no exploits.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yorkshire Tea is so-so. Yorkshire Gold, now, that's a different game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Spiffing Brit seems to have the same issue as Mandalore where he's a good dude but has a very unfortunate dude in armor avatar.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sydin posted:

Yeah Spiffing Brit seems to have the same issue as Mandalore where he's a good dude but has a very unfortunate dude in armor avatar.

also there's no universe where I'll intentionally click on a video by a dude who calls himself "Spiffing Brit".

he sounds insufferable tbh.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think I would like that dude's videos at all if his voice didn't sound like if Many A True Nerd guy were doing even more of a put-on

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
His constant rising inflection thing does grate ngl

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Welp that explains why I saw community posts become more and more popular in the past couple months. Including from people I never watched a single video of.

E: lol god drat

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've been trying to put into words what I like and dislike about the Spiffing Brit and I'm having trouble. I don't like the 'spiffing brit' character at all but the guy does good videos otherwise and he's generally okay when he pops up on the Yogscast Main channel for TTT or whatever.

I guess I think he's fine but wish he'd drop the lord snooty angle it's kinda lazy stereotypical humour even though there's a level of self awareness and deprecation to balance out the fact the joke is just ironic nationalism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I've personally noticed about the algorithm is that it has problems with YTP and parody videos where it will suggest the unironic version.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Pigbuster posted:

Welp that explains why I saw community posts become more and more popular in the past couple months. Including from people I never watched a single video of.

E: lol god drat

Wish it was megabattie's post that blew up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It can't understand irony at all. Watch a Leftist takedown a dumb right-wing argument? How about six hours of an emergency zoom meeting of right-wingers moaning that a woman spoke in a movie? Hey, did you like that video that was just Cyberpunk 2077 promises overlaid with footage? Maybe you'd like this one that's a guy desperately trying to maintain 2tj/m* during his playthrough footage!

Also, are you interested in this Franklin Gets Roasted meme? I know you watched one once six months ago and have clicked Not Interested -> I do not like this video on several a day ever since then, but I'm sure this is the one that'll get you back.

*transphobic jokes per minute

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i'm relieved to find out that all those minecraft guys who blew up in the last year are basically committing fraud

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DelilahFlowers posted:

Wish it was megabattie's post that blew up.

There's like a whole group of old Australian ladies that care for bats and for as much as we rightfully rip on Youtube's algorithm, I at least appreciate it for consistently correctly assuming I like their bat videos even when I go weeks without watching one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hbn8sMOsU

What's especially great about bat care videos is that they will acclimate to the wild even after being raised and babied by humans, so there isn't that darkside of most wild animal raising videos where the animal is stuck in that unnatural position for life.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 26, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

i'm relieved to find out that all those minecraft guys who blew up in the last year are basically committing fraud

Beg pardon?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Beg pardon?

I don't know if it happened with other people but one of the guys who's account blew up super big due to Minecraft streaming got caught running a juiced version of the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's brought up in that algorithm video - he used community posting to boost his channel so he went from 100k to something ridiculous like 16 million.

He also blatantly cheated in some speedruns (lol cheating in minecraft speedruns) I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's brought up in that algorithm video - he used community posting to boost his channel so he went from 100k to something ridiculous like 16 million.

He also blatantly cheated in some speedruns (lol cheating in minecraft speedruns) I believe.

yeah from that video dreams' insane exponential growth was just pure algorithm poo poo even putting aside his extremely boring fake speedruns.