Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fridge Corn. Hater of esports. Player of games he actively dislikes.

How's that tomb raider sequel holding out for you fridges?

I turned it off in disgust today. Also I didnt say I hated esports, I just dont care. I'm esports agnostic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I turned it off in disgust today. Also I didnt say I hated esports, I just dont care. I'm esports agnostic

Lol fridge corn. I respect that, they are really dull games (can't remember if it was shadows or rise you were playing)

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Linearity can be good, or at least the opposite of DK64.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lol fridge corn. I respect that, they are really dull games (can't remember if it was shadows or rise you were playing)

Its shadows, which despite being free on ps+ this month my other half had bought it for me for Christmas so I feel obligated to finish it :keke:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all games are linear, because your life experience is linear. any feeling of openness is just an illusion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

the first time you play Bioshock it feels like its an open world immersive sim. you only notice that it isnt on the second play through

Feels like basically the start of a trend here, games that are basically all atmosphere building but the moment the novelty wears off the illusion is completely gone.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like basically the start of a trend here, games that are basically all atmosphere building but the moment the novelty wears off the illusion is completely gone.

The novelty of Bioshock wore off for me when I realized rapture was just a bunch of corridors with rigidly interconnected shooting arenas. It would have been cool of they made the whole thing explorable so you could see how things worked down there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bioshock is slow and flabby and meaty and it doesnt matter if youre good at shooting or bad because the game plays itself

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Manager Hoyden posted:

The novelty of Bioshock wore off for me when I realized rapture was just a bunch of corridors with rigidly interconnected shooting arenas. It would have been cool of they made the whole thing explorable so you could see how things worked down there.

It was a really cool setting and actually getting to explore it would have been cool. I loved actually getting to see how everything in Prey’s Talos station was connected and actually felt like a real, self-contained space. You had these industrial utility corridors supporting research areas and fairly deluxe staff accommodations and it added up to a real sense of place.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I always get the Preys mixed up. Is it safe to assume people are talking about the most recent one?
I only played the demo of the first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avirosb posted:

I always get the Preys mixed up. Is it safe to assume people are talking about the most recent one?
I only played the demo of the first.

Almost universally. The 2006 one was pretty solid but not really something that people would take about more than a decade later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Almost universally. The 2006 one was pretty solid but not really something that people would take about more than a decade later.

Yeah, it had some nice setpieces and played with gameplay aspects in ways that were both callbacks (gimmick levels like old Duke Nukem style shooters) and ahead of their time (dying being its own spirit world minigame) but ultimately seemed to be kinda less than the sum of its parts.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The point of BioShock is not shooting things though. Its barely a shooter. :shrug:

it's a first person wrencher

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*I storm into the next room, blasting everything with an upgraded starter pistol, ignoring all ground effects, turrets, traps, enemy types, shadows, and hiding places*

"SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Avirosb posted:

I can't for the life of me imagine playing the same game over and over again just to get to a competitive level.
No amount of money is worth the time invested.

how about the satisfaction of getting good at something? How is it different from practicing to get good at any other hobby?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rutibex posted:

the first time you play Bioshock it feels like its an open world immersive sim. you only notice that it isnt on the second play through

I noticed it on my first playthrough of Bioshock 2, when I retroactively remembered that Bioshock 1 was the same. It didn't help that I've played like all of the good modern immersive sims in the intervening period (Prey, all of Dishonored, the modern Deus Ex games, all of STALKER I think)

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Rutibex posted:

My first time through Bioshock 1 I wished that it was just a walking simulator or guided narrative experience. After a few hours the actual mechanics of the game were just slowing down my enjoyment of the actual story.

Not to mention the last boss was embarrassingly dumb and unfun to fight.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

feelix posted:

how about the satisfaction of getting good at something? How is it different from practicing to get good at any other hobby?

I've never felt the urge to become the very best like no one ever was. To each their own I guess.
Too many video games, too little time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Avirosb posted:

I can't for the life of me imagine playing the same musical instrument over and over again just to get to a competent level.
No amount of money is worth the time invested.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All games should ditch multi-player except for co-operative play in the "campaign". People who enjoy competitive multi-player should just find another hobby and stop ruining games.

competitive multiplayer experiences have been a common aspect of the concept of games for like all of human history. its fine if you dont like them but to say they are "ruining" games is just dumb

are we at the point in the thread where every reasonable unpopular opinion has already been posted so people are just saying abject nonsense now are what? games shouldn't have protagonists! no video game should have a title. the circle is a shape that does not belong in videogames.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 25, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Earwicker posted:

are we at the point in the thread where every reasonable unpopular opinion has already been posted so people are just saying abject nonsense now are what? games shouldn't have protagonists! no video game should have a title.

have you not been reading shibwankos posts?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Avirosb posted:

I've never felt the urge to become the very best like no one ever was. To each their own I guess.

of all my video game experiences, i probably look back fondest at doing league play in cs. i'll say that i can totally understand why people can bounce off stuff like cs:go and poo poo now with automated matchmaking - solo queuing competitive games is terrible. but getting like five friends together and having scheduled matches and leagues and poo poo is about the most fun i ever had playing video games.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

professional video game players are luminaries of culture akin to Mozart and Beethoven!!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Avirosb posted:

Leave it to alcoholic gbs computer touchers to completely miss the point of amateur recreational competition. Do you look at people playing flag football and think "ugh no amount of money could ever convince me to put in the work to be an NFL qb"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tell you about myself? Hmm well I am an accomplished top laner, a ranked mercy main, and my guild has two world firsts hey where are you going

edit: jesus yes bideo game is just like athletics and musical composition lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Manager Hoyden posted:

Tell you about myself? Hmm well I am an accomplished top laner, a ranked mercy main, and my guild has two world firsts hey where are you going

"im in a band called HER INDIGNANT SCROTE we got second place 3 years ago at the parkfield battle of the bands wanna come by and listen to us practice hey where are you going"

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Min/maxing isn't fun and games that force you to do that and bust out spreadsheets and poo poo are lame.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I found it guy the most unpolular opinion

Playing my video games a bunch is just like being an athletic musician

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Call me when you’re able to kill god in either of those things

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Manager Hoyden posted:

I found it guy the most unpolular opinion

Playing my video games a bunch is just like being an athletic musician

It's fun to be good at things, idk what else to say fella

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sebmojo posted:

It's fun to be good at things, idk what else to say fella

Not disagreeing with that at all

Just seriously taken aback by the things people are comparing their video game playing to

We have a dorky loving hobby guys let's not pretend it's some noble quest for betterment of the self and world

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Play posted:

professional video game players are luminaries of culture akin to Mozart and Beethoven!!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just seriously taken aback by the things people are comparing their video game playing to

We have a dorky loving hobby guys let's not pretend it's some noble quest for betterment of the self and world

i think you are missing the point of the comparison.

playing a musical instrument when you suck at it is not fun. it's really frustrating. if you put in the time to get good at the instrument, playing it becomes fun.

i dont think anyone is saying gamers are "cultural luminaries" or whatever

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Earwicker posted:

competitive multiplayer experiences have been a common aspect of the concept of games for like all of human history. its fine if you dont like them but to say they are "ruining" games is just dumb

are we at the point in the thread where every reasonable unpopular opinion has already been posted so people are just saying abject nonsense now are what? games shouldn't have protagonists! no video game should have a title. the circle is a shape that does not belong in videogames.

im just trying to keep things from going back to the topic of how hard dark souls is exactly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OG Doom is kind of crap as far as MOBAs go

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Manager Hoyden posted:

i'm pretty sure no one is doing that

i'm pretty sure people are recognizing that the vast majority of people playing video games are just enjoying their dorky loving hobby but that a very small number of them are able to make a living doing it

just like athletics and music

maybe you put too much importance on throwing a ball or singing in the shower

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

OG Doom is kind of crap as far as MOBAs go

now im wondering if anyone has made a moba in gzdoom yet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I promise you I'm not thinking of the timeless beauty of mozart when I'm sawing through eine kleine fuckin nachtmusik for the 900th time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im going to recycle an opinion from last year that i feel more strongly about now: f zero gx, a game i loved at the time, is actually a gaudy and excessive game with unbelievable bloat and bland graphics and especially music when compared to the snes. instead of 4 recognizable racers and some random obstacle bots you get:
40 cookie cutter motherfuckers that aren't halfway threatening
a lame and useless bumping mechanic
a really awkward drift move that you only need for a handful of corners
an overcomplicated acceleration-top speed slider instead of just static stats for each racer
a complicated craft editor that you cant get all the parts for unless you finish the overly difficult and gimmicky story mode and also load up a gamecube memcard at an actual f zero AX arcade machine

a big part of what made the snes game great was the music and graphics, the tracks all have these really detailed and interesting backgrounds (except maybe red canyon), gx has really boring graphics

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

Haha this guy's seeks external validation LMBO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

feelix posted:

Leave it to alcoholic gbs computer touchers to completely miss the point of amateur recreational competition. Do you look at people playing flag football and think "ugh no amount of money could ever convince me to put in the work to be an NFL qb"

I don't look at that thing, no.