Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know whether to cash in now for a few hundred bucks, or stick around to see if it gets crazy again later in the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
God drat. I'm glad I didn't jump on Gamestop when it was $40 or $60. That rollercoaster would've given me an ulcer.

Holding strong on BB.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Here we go again for BB

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Axel Serenity posted:

Here we go again for BB

Yesssssss

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

Mmmm I take on all kinds of risk lately by selling naked puts on absurd stocks. But I wouldn't sell calls on gme unless you cap your risk somehow. Buy 170s or even 200s when you sell 150s.

those don't exist yet

the highest GME call strike available at brokers, by time...

Friday: 60 (closed ITM)
Monday open: 115 (ITM after a couple hours)
Monday midday: 150 (intraday $GME high 159)

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012

resident posted:

Was it the guy that was up literally $11m on his initial $50k investment? God bless him if he was smart enough to start the pump, but not smart enough to sell off during the $150 run up today.

It was not :downs:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
CCIV holders, is it too late to buy in? I sold at open

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

MagicBoots posted:

I'm thinking buy Feb 19 150s, sell July 16 125s might be the thing to do. The risk of it spiking is near term, once the hype dies I'm out of the woods.

Those July calls will definitely get exercised early if they’re in the money.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

err posted:

CCIV holders, is it too late to buy in? I sold at open

I exited a bunch of calls with the expectation i'd be able to buy in later this week much lower cause im a swing trading degenerate. So hopefully its not too late? No one knows

if there is no news all week it will bleed down i imagine, but they could also announce tonight for all we know

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Zerstorung posted:

Opened babby's first short position on Goldman Sachs@282.50 to hedge against my blue-chip/emerging market holdings through all this bullshit.
Wish me luck.

Nice! I have a GS call steadily rotting away in my RH.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

resident posted:

Was it the guy that was up literally $11m on his initial $50k investment? God bless him if he was smart enough to start the pump, but not smart enough to sell off during the $150 run up today.

that dude ain't selling from everything i can tell

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I suspect the plan with the gme highrollers is to keep pushing for another squeeze on friday but i got burned already so im not participating unless dailies on friday are cheap.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I made like 2k on GME last Friday, then lost 1950 this morning. I’m out. Never again shall a GME grace my orders.

err
Apr 11, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

I made like 2k on GME last Friday, then lost 1950 this morning. I’m out. Never again shall a GME grace my orders.

:pray:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
in AMC at 4.45, let's do this again.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
made 8k on GME bought in at $38 and sold @ $108 over the period of 3 days.

Stonks.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

resident posted:

That guy bought in on a huge position when the stock was like $2. He's fine.

The dude the other poster is referring to who was down over $2m today (and by now much more) is someone that bought hundreds of $115 calls.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I want to buy more CCIV but it's loving scary

err
Apr 11, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

The dude the other poster is referring to who was down over $2m today (and by now much more) is someone that bought hundreds of $115 calls.

if you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Got out of GME right at 101 as the post-spike waves were settling. Between this and getting out of BTC right at 40k*, I feel like Daniel Craig's character in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo when a bullet lands next to his head.

*I gambled on both trends way too late to get rich, but at least I got out ahead

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Got out of GME right at 101 as the post-spike waves were settling. Between this and getting out of BTC right at 40k*, I feel like Daniel Craig's character in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo when a bullet lands next to his head.

*I gambled on both trends way too late to get rich, but at least I got out ahead

:nice:

Play financial Russian roulette again and you may not be so lucky :v:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I made 1 dollar on GME today.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Scarodactyl posted:

Very impressive to somehow break even with that chaos. I thought it was going to be big ups and big downs only.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Woodchip posted:

in AMC at 4.45, let's do this again.

I bought a few hundred this morning and then sold weeklies while they were way up. I'm not expecting much but we'll see and hopefully they get called away so I can forget about wsb

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sold PLTR 41 calls Feb 5 expiration. Sold at 2.85. I think it might continue to go up but hell, if I get assigned at 41 that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm brand new to all of this, basically started reading about the gamestop stock thing due to kotaku articles that someone posted on facebook and then noticed the twitter trend of gamestop today.

Checking out wallstreetbets they keep talking about some kind of big deadline on friday (Here's an example thread but others have posted similar things: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l4utic/79851_gme_call_options_expire_friday/) that people need to hold for. Something that is potentially going to cause the short squeeze to really take off. They keep pointing to volkswagen. Is there some kind of actual tangible shorting deadline event friday that can be measured or is it all basically similar to how I have come to understand bitcoin where it has become important for people to say to hold because holding is what is literally keeping the value up?

It's hard from an outsider's perspective to tell what is real and what is "faith", essentially and I'm curious if anyone here has any insights.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

We should have a graph mapping number of daily posts on this thread and impending crashes

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Superrodan posted:

I'm brand new to all of this, basically started reading about the gamestop stock thing due to kotaku articles that someone posted on facebook and then noticed the twitter trend of gamestop today.

Checking out wallstreetbets they keep talking about some kind of big deadline on friday (Here's an example thread but others have posted similar things: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l4utic/79851_gme_call_options_expire_friday/) that people need to hold for. Something that is potentially going to cause the short squeeze to really take off. They keep pointing to volkswagen. Is there some kind of actual tangible shorting deadline event friday that can be measured or is it all basically similar to how I have come to understand bitcoin where it has become important for people to say to hold because holding is what is literally keeping the value up?

It's hard from an outsider's perspective to tell what is real and what is "faith", essentially and I'm curious if anyone here has any insights.

There are a ton of options for GME that expire on friday. Not all those options sellers own the underlying equity so they will need to buy 100 shares at the market price per contract they sold which would make the stock go up. That's what they're betting on.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Here I thought you were buying GME and just holding onto it, hoping it outlasted those calls Friday and next Tuesday.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'm hoping for some WSB madman to develop a GME pumping algorithm that requires other WSBers to share their trading account logins, resulting in all of them getting robbed blind and/or losing everything due to a misplaced decimal point.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I sold all of my BB profit (up 100% from last week) and rolled it into Feb 12 25c. Let's see what happens this week

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

There are a ton of options for GME that expire on friday. Not all those options sellers own the underlying equity so they will need to buy 100 shares at the market price per contract they sold which would make the stock go up. That's what they're betting on.

Again, I'm brand new to this. Want to double check I understand.

Options are essentially a promise that you can buy x shares at a specific price, right? So someone sold options for Gamestop options for I dunno, 20 dollars, because they assumed the price would be lower than 20? and now that the price is 70, they are forced to sell the shares because buyers would obviously want them for 20 when they're worth 70. But they didn't actually have the shares to sell for some reason? So now they have to buy the shares for 70 and sell them for 20, but them buying for 70 gets increasingly harder because so many people want them so the price goes up?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Superrodan posted:

Again, I'm brand new to this. Want to double check I understand.

Options are essentially a promise that you can buy x shares at a specific price, right? So someone sold options for Gamestop options for I dunno, 20 dollars, because they assumed the price would be lower than 20? and now that the price is 70, they are forced to sell the shares because buyers would obviously want them for 20 when they're worth 70. But they didn't actually have the shares to sell for some reason? So now they have to buy the shares for 70 and sell them for 20, but them buying for 70 gets increasingly harder because so many people want them so the price goes up?

You got it.

They're hoping for a perfect storm of WSB driven buying/holding, short squeeze, and options covering. It will inevitably fall apart when enough people reach their "gain" target and decide to dump leaving only the bag holders.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I set a limit buy on gme at 62 thinking there was no way it would get filled when I saw the numbers this morning. Then it dipped to 61 at 12:23 which makes me a genius.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Anyone know a place I can signup to get alerts the day before an IPO starts trading? Wanna get into spng but I have no idea when it goes live.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yep^^^

Each option is a contract for 100 shares so a call option for XYZ stock with a strike price of $20 is betting that XYZ will end the day the contract expires at or above $20. If its at $21.00 the person selling that call has to sell the option holder 100 shares at 20.00, and the person owning the option buys 100 shares at $20. If they immediately sell they made $100, and the option seller lost out on $100 in profit.

There are a lot of people that thought GME wouldn't go over $60 so they sold calls on it even without owning the stock. They might buy 100 shares at $70 in fear that they might have to sell someone 100 shares at $60. This would cause the price of the stock to go up more, maybe over $70 which causes people who sold calls at $65 maybe buy shares to protect hem from losing more and it cascades.

Selling options without owning the underlying stock is risky because you will have to have enough cash to buy 100 shares of the stock if the contract finishes in the money.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 25, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Joiny posted:

I set a limit buy on gme at 62 thinking there was no way it would get filled when I saw the numbers this morning. Then it dipped to 61 at 12:23 which makes me a genius.

Except now you're holding GME.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
cciv please go back down until i can load up on otm calls again i shouldn't have exited im sorry dont take off without me

edit: bought feb calls to hold over night just incase they announce. figure ill be able to sell them tomorrow at open for a profit after ah ramp up even without news

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 25, 2021

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Scarodactyl posted:

I sold my 0.069 shares for a $2 gain. I am using it to buy a burger.

I’m glad Fidelity won’t let me options trade since sports betting is more fun anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
How long does a stoploss generally take to trigger & fill?

Basically, I am wondering how fast a stock's value would need to decline in order to get badly burned. Say I purchase some stock with a 10% trailing stoploss -- how fast does the price need to decline to cause me to fail to sell at roughly -10% on a dip and instead sell at -20%? -30%? Etc.