Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
what if baseball was war, and also God was a big baseball fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

what if baseball was war, and also God was a big baseball fan

Here it is as a link, because this will definitely become a problem for people on mobile

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A couple new chapters for Tricks Dedicated to Witches are up, including a couple nifty pages. Most of the message here is not exactly new from this manga, nor subtle, but the nod to trans people is nice.
(Edit: Should probably poiler for minor :nws: image, that being a reproduction of the Voyager Record image, just to be safe.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 25, 2021

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Onean posted:

A couple new chapters for Tricks Dedicated to Witches are up, including a couple nifty pages. Most of the message here is not exactly new from this manga, nor subtle, but the nod to trans people is nice.

Goddamn that was 2 incredible chapters, this isekai has been delivering pretty well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah! I still don't like the MC too much, but the supporting characters and events are enough to keep me around.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Onean posted:

A couple new chapters for Tricks Dedicated to Witches are up, including a couple nifty pages.

I should browse this thread more often, this one is really good.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
MUSHOKU TENSEI: ISEKAI ITTARA HONKI DASU is the most wholesome Isekai show I have ever seen. Honestly relieved that nothing bad is happening.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Uhoh.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

dipwood posted:

MUSHOKU TENSEI: ISEKAI ITTARA HONKI DASU is the most wholesome Isekai show I have ever seen. Honestly relieved that nothing bad is happening.

it gets much less wholesome. i stopped reading the manga cause it got so goddamn bad (and worse of all, boring) and i have horrible tolerance for poo poo isekai manga

I can spoil if you want, but the comic was good and fine* until a certain part then it just backflipped into poo poo garbage and somehow got worse from there

e: *as far as I remember, I never re-read it.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 25, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to know. I stopped reading it early on because it was pretty boring.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I did a Google search on the name and the first words I read was "determined to live his new life without regrets", which is the biggest drat red flag you can have for an isekai story.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Overall the story isn't that bad as far as I remember, but the main character never really outgrows being a massive pervert. Basically what I'm saying is you can do a lot worse for popular isekais of that age.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gwrtheyrn posted:

Overall the story isn't that bad as far as I remember, but the main character never really outgrows being a massive pervert. Basically what I'm saying is you can do a lot worse for popular isekais of that age.

I found his constant sexual assaults on underage girls to be pretty off-putting.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fellis posted:

it gets much less wholesome. i stopped reading the manga cause it got so goddamn bad (and worse of all, boring) and i have horrible tolerance for poo poo isekai manga

I can spoil if you want, but the comic was good and fine* until a certain part then it just backflipped into poo poo garbage and somehow got worse from there

e: *as far as I remember, I never re-read it.

Brah don't leave us hanging on details about trashiness. What happens later on in it?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I know for a fact in the WN he eventually loses his virginity to his girlfriend, only for her to leave the next day, which gives him ED. He then spends most of the next arc trying to find an ED treatment while also using a pair of her panties as a religious icon to worship.

I...hope the manga softens that?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I know for a fact in the WN he eventually loses his virginity to his girlfriend, only for her to leave the next day, which gives him ED. He then spends most of the next arc trying to find an ED treatment while also using a pair of her panties as a religious icon to worship.

It does not. After chapters and chapters of trying to get with her, they finally have sex (his girlfriend is his cousin and they're both underage), and she ditches him the next day. That's when I dropped the series so I can't tell you if he used the panties as a religious icon, but he definitely had ED because she ditched him.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

oh my bad, wrong girl, it wasn't his girlfriends panties, but the panties of the elf who trained him when he was younger

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nemo2342 posted:

I found his constant sexual assaults on underage girls to be pretty off-putting.

I mean that's basically what I was referring to.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the same author is also writing (wrote?) this other thing. the description says the plot is about an orc who really wants to get laid. write what you know

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Syritta posted:

the same author is also writing (wrote?) this other thing. the description says the plot is about an orc who really wants to get laid. write what you know

Wow, green Guts

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
To be fair to that manga it's more boring than it is offensive. The plot goes nowhere and does nothing. You're gonna spend a lot of time waiting for it to be about something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Syritta posted:

So the MC has a case of blue balls and I can expect the series to go nowhere? Or I guess that would make it purple instead.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

You guys are making me sad.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

dipwood posted:

You guys are making me sad.

I know how you feel. These days I'm just happy when the first issue is about immediately buying a sex slave and committing a war crime so I don't have to get my hopes up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I know how you feel. These days I'm just happy when the first issue is about immediately buying a sex slave and committing a war crime so I don't have to get my hopes up.

What if the mc buys a sex slave but instead of sex turns them into a guerilla fighter and does war crimes on the slavers with them?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's still buying and keeping a slave.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's still buying and keeping a slave.

If they are free to go but willingly want to murder the gently caress out of the slavers?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The theoretical person who purchases slaves just to unchain them and give them a gun and point them right at their slavers does sound pretty cool, if a bit contrived to find a situation where purchasing a slave isn't completely heinous

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

They're free to go but only AFTER they're emotionally dependent on the MC.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

The theoretical person who purchases slaves just to unchain them and give them a gun and point them right at their slavers does sound pretty cool, if a bit contrived to find a situation where purchasing a slave isn't completely heinous

that's just using slaves as weapons, which isn't really a new idea. a better scenario would be to murder the slaver and then free the slaves, who can then make their own decisions about slaver killing rampages.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

doomrider7 posted:

Brah don't leave us hanging on details about trashiness. What happens later on in it?

aside from general horniness, from memory in no particular order:

He sleeps with his childhood friend, she leaves him, and then he has severe ED for some reason??? and they never stop loving making a big deal about it
The worst strike against it, he goes into a magic high school and the pace grinds to a loving halt for school shenanigans and god drat its so boring
While at school he humiliates two catgirls and forces them to be his pets via blackmail, later they go into animal heat and he has to literally fight people off who want to gently caress them
He makes an ally of a noble who is an awful otaku caricature by carving anime figurines for him
He obsesses over this guy who is actually his childhood girlfriend in disguise but they are both too cowardly to make a move (also loving boring)

I mostly stopped reading it because it became glacially slow and uninteresting, which is usually how these go cause the author has one interesting idea, gets popular, then spins their wheels. I'm actually interested in re-reading it now because I remember it being pretty good at the beginning.

e: it might just be that I started reading it whenever it had like 40 some chapters out/not caught up with the releases. But now that we're current, it's a monthly series and like nothing has happened the last 1.5 years of releases and it's just bleh. The wikipedia summary of the plot covers the last 18 chapters in one sentence lol

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

What if the mc buys a sex slave but instead of sex turns them into a guerilla fighter and does war crimes on the slavers with them?

I mean this is essentially the plot of sword dad and so yes that is cool and good but only and especially when the buying is for the iron price in the first place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fran mostly freed herself. it was her desire and sword dad provided the power to carry it out. that's their whole dynamic.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mushoku Tensei Spoilers

I read the manga and I was really into the stretch where everyone got teleported to random places in the world and had to adventure back home. It sounds like they never freakin leave magic school for all the later parts? I guess thats ok, that way the anime will cover the only good part.

This story does the rapid tone shifts thing but not really in a good way. It just feels like a mishmash of stuff. Just a small example but the author doesnt really have a dark sense of humor nor makes much mention of morbid things. In the latest english chapter the unnaturally strong noble was talking about how hes always been aware of his strength ever since he crushed his baby brother to death when he hugged him. Like, where the hell did that come from? Its not really the kind of story where that would be funny, like uh Dorohedoro or something, so it just comes off as bizarre. I think the guy just doesnt know how to tell a story.

Topic change to the original novel and its popularity in japan, is it true that this was the novel alongside SAO that really kicked off isekai? I heard that somewhere but no idea if its true

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 26, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the part of the story anyone liked was the last fourth or so, after he became an adult.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Meme Emulator posted:

Mushoku Tensei Spoilers

I read the manga and I was really into the stretch where everyone got teleported to random places in the world and had to adventure back home. It sounds like they never freakin leave magic school for all the later parts? I guess thats ok, that way the anime will cover the only good part.

This story does the rapid tone shifts thing but not really in a good way. It just feels like a mishmash of stuff. Just a small example but the author doesnt really have a dark sense of humor nor makes much mention of morbid things. In the latest english chapter the unnaturally strong noble was talking about how hes always been aware of his strength ever since he crushed his baby brother to death when he hugged him. Like, where the hell did that come from? Its not really the kind of story where that would be funny, like uh Dorohedoro or something, so it just comes off as bizarre. I think the guy just doesnt know how to tell a story.

Topic change to the original novel and its popularity in japan, is it true that this was the novel alongside SAO that really kicked off isekai? I heard that somewhere but no idea if its true

That's the weird thing.

Shay Guy, post: 23707609, member: 72524 posted:

I keep wondering about that, because I'm not sure how it was really different from previous stories on the same website in any substantial way. Look at just the isekai titles there that have already been made into anime -- Log Horizon, Knight's & Magic, Isekai Cheat Magician, Re:Zero, and The Rising of the Shield Hero are all from before Mushoku Tensei started. Hell, in MT's first month online, the other hot new thing there was Riot Grasper, which started 11 days before. And looking at a fan translation of Riot Grasper, not only does its beginning hit pretty much all the recognized cliches of Internet isekai -- right down to the truck -- but the narration covers it with a "yeah, you know the drill, it's one of these stories" air.

Shay Guy, post: 23707657, member: 72524 posted:

When Mushoku Tensei started online, Log Horizon had already been in print for a year and a half and the Sword Art Online anime was on episode 20. All the series I named were also released in print before MT (except for Re:Zero, which, fun fact, got its volume 1 light novel release the very same day as MT's). KonoSuba also got its LN release before MT, as did Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World.

The fact that Mushoku Tensei was perhaps the most popular story in the genre that had developed on Narou is completely unconvincing as an argument that it actually changed the course of the genre, or that it was doing anything novel or groundbreaking at all, which is what people are claiming when they talk about it as a pioneer or whatever. For that, you have to actually look at what it did differently from what came before, and identify signs of its influence in how the genre changed after.

Shay Guy, post: 23710011, member: 72524 posted:

KonoSuba yes, but while Overlord got mirrored on Narou, I think it actually started on Arcadia — same as GATE, DanMachi, and Youjo Senki. For purely Narou-based stories with anime adaptations, I’ve got a spreadsheet I can link when I’m not on my phone.

(KonoSuba started just about a month after Mushoku Tensei; I might’ve said this before, but from the Wayback Machine snapshots I can find, it seems that at the time, the two most popular Narou stories of the preceding month were MT and Riot Grasper, both of which feature isekai by truck. So I think Kazuma’s death might specifically be a joking reference to one or both of those two.)

He also posted a spreadsheet on this and yeah, MT wasn't really even the first at all per se. Maybe the kind of protagonist, but other than that, not much else so I legit don't know how to answer this one anymore.

This reminds me of a video I saw on the movie Christmas Story's false nostalgia that might explain this better.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
a...a spreadsheet

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Meme Emulator posted:

Can't do much more than theorise on what started it, but here's a breakdown of early titles within the extended "isekai web novel" sphere that got animated:

TITLE (WEB : LN) - ANIME (SITE)

Sword Art Online (2002 : 2009) - Jul 2012 (homepage)
Hataraku Maou-sama (2011) - Apr 2013
Log Horizon (2010 : 2011) - Oct 2013 (Narou)
Outbreak Company (2011) - Oct 2013
Mahouka (2008 : 2011) - Apr 2014 (Narou)
No Game No Life (2012) - Apr 2014
DanMachi (2012 : 2013) - Apr 2015 (Arcadia)
Gate (2006 : 2010) - Jul 2015 (Arcadia)
Overlord (2010 : 2012) - Jul 2015 (Arcadia)
KonoSuba (2013? : 2013) - Jan 2016 (Narou)
Grimgar (2013) - Jan 2016
Re:Zero (2012 : 2014) - Apr 2016 (Narou)
Youjo Senki (2011 : 2013) - Jan 2017 (Arcadia)
Knight's & Magic (2010 : 2013) - Jul 2017 (Narou)
Isekai Shokudou (2013 : 2015) - Jul 2017 (Narou)
Isekai Smartphone (2013 : 2015) - Jul 2017 (Narou)
Death March (2013 : 2014) - Jan 2018 (Narou)
Hyakuren no Haou (2013) - Jul 2018
Slime (2013 : 2014) - Oct 2018 (Narou)
Shield Hero (2012 : 2013) - Jan 2019 (Narou)
Arifureta (2013 : 2015) - Jul 2019 (Narou)
Isekai Cheat Magician (2012 : 2013) - Jul 2019 (Narou)
Bookworm (2013 : 2015) - Oct 2019 (Narou)
Hachinan (2013 : 2014) - Apr 2020 (Narou)
Mushoku Tensei (2012 : 2014) - Jan 2021 (Narou)
Isekai Labyrinth Slave Harem (2011 : 2012) - late 2021? (Narou)

SAO was out extremely early, and most likely the catalyst that initiated the current "isekai boom", even though it's undeniable that this kind of story has been around forever (Narnia and Wizard of Oz, etc, etc). SAO isn't technically isekai, but it was incredibly popular when the anime came out, and served to whet an enormous audience's appetite for "modern Japanese guy in fantasy world", and there was an exponential increase in publishing houses procuring amateur web novel titles after that.

While Narou is the clear winner today, back in the day Arcadia was at least as significant as a web novel portal, with hugely successful titles like Overlord, DanMachi and Youjo Senki. It's an ancient system that hasn't seen many updates, though, so I guess it died the death of lazy development. Overlord eventually seems to have moved on to Narou, for instance.

Mushoku Tensei's part is really hard hard to quantify. To begin with, Narou's been around a long time, with titles being posted as early as 2004. I don't believe it was all that popular until 2008 or so when Mahouka first showed up there, and dominated the overall ranking until late 2011, when it was finally overtaken by Risou no Himo Seikatsu. Soon after, Mahouka disappeared from the site, presumably because the LN publisher couldn't use the "#1 web novel!!" blurb on the cover anymore, and saw no reason to keep it available for free.

So from 2011 onward, the highest ranking title on Narou was an isekai title, albeit the summoning kind. The most popular reincarnation-based isekai of the time seems to be a title called Shiro no Koukoku Monogatari, which started in 2009. By mid-2012, the new chart topper was Isekai Labyrinth Slave Harem, and it was still the king when Mushoku Tensei finally began in November of that year.

This means MT can't have originated any of the tropes people seem to attribute to it, since reasonably popular titles had already used up all of them, for example with Knight's & Magic -- having its protagonist dying in a traffic accident before being reborn in a fantasy world 2 years prior -- being overall rank #6 when MT came out.

However, it must have done something right, because it shot straight up the charts, with archive.org placing it as high as #11 overall a mere two months after it started. After six months it was already #2, while the other "big" contemporary KonoSuba was still stuck at #52. Sometime late 2013 it finally took over the crown as #1, and held it in a tight grip until Slime ultimately stole it in early 2019, when its anime had come out and all the new fans flooded in to see what the novel was like.

In short, by the time Sword Art Online's anime ended and "isekai" demand exploded, Mushoku Tensei was positioned to spend five long years at the absolute top of the rankings on the web portal where all the new visitors would first find something to read. And since the shared template was so simple, it's probably also what most budding amateur authors had in mind when they tried to emulate the success.

But then again, what is "success" exactly? MT certainly found popularity online, but it was also completed in just 2˝ years, so anyone could read the entire story for free six years ago. Meanwhile, the latest published light novel volume 24 only sold a measly 3753 copies when it came out last month. For comparison, DanMachi, Slime and SAO are still selling over 100k copies every new volume, and Overlord's latest chalked up over 230k somehow.

The anime effect could arguably explain away that enormous gulf, but then we still have other Narou titles that pre-anime are selling tons of books. Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is pushing over 75k copies of its latest volumes, and even Kumoko sold over 18k before the anime came out. I wonder if it all comes down to the MT manga adaptation not managing to snag enough new casual readers.

Anyway, the short of it is that it's ludicrous to claim that Mushoku Tensei was ever "the grandfather of all isekai". More likely it's simply one of the earliest isekai web novels to get fan translated and find popularity in the west, and fans on this side remember it as the first thing they read (and finished).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://mangadex.org/title/52602/her-majesty-s-swarm

Lady gets isekai'd as the human Hive Queen of a zerg-like race

Rip and Tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oooh, I've been enjoying the novels of that. Nice.