Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

apropos man posted:

I have a Sapphire RX570 (4GB Nitro+) that I've been using, mainly to drive my TV. Also for the odd bit of 1080p gaming.

A month or two ago it started glitching in and out of a whitenoise pattern (like the HBO logo). Often it will display Windows again and occasionally it will fall back to a green screen until I reboot by manually holding the power button. If I play GTA V it often seems like all is well, until maybe 2 or 5 minutes into gameplay when the game just shits out and dumps me back into Steam. If I just use it to watch YouTube it could be fine for 3 or 4 hours.

I've re-installed Windows 2 or 3 times. I just had the thought that I should strip the air cooler off it tonight and re-apply paste to the die. Will MX-5 suffice? That's all I have to hand.

I've stripped the cooler off a card before, and it should be a half-hour job. Any other ideas what the fault may be, if it's not the paste that's dried out? I'm guessing it's 4 years old.

Before getting too alarmist, I'd check the cable. I've seen my fair share of glitches like that all due to a bad cable. Outside of that, updating your drivers and repasting would be worth trying. MX-4 would be be perfectly fine, but the only MX-5 I know of is a Miata, so please don't repaste your GPU with one of those.

Failing that, it might be the card itself failing. It's a bad time for that, as you may have noticed, but I'd rule out the other possibilities first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

apropos man posted:

I have a Sapphire RX570 (4GB Nitro+) that I've been using, mainly to drive my TV. Also for the odd bit of 1080p gaming.

A month or two ago it started glitching in and out of a whitenoise pattern (like the HBO logo). Often it will display Windows again and occasionally it will fall back to a green screen until I reboot by manually holding the power button. If I play GTA V it often seems like all is well, until maybe 2 or 5 minutes into gameplay when the game just shits out and dumps me back into Steam. If I just use it to watch YouTube it could be fine for 3 or 4 hours.

I've re-installed Windows 2 or 3 times. I just had the thought that I should strip the air cooler off it tonight and re-apply paste to the die. Will MX-5 suffice? That's all I have to hand.

I've stripped the cooler off a card before, and it should be a half-hour job. Any other ideas what the fault may be, if it's not the paste that's dried out? I'm guessing it's 4 years old.

Mx? Paste will be fine, hopefully it's that.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
EVGA questions!

I realize I can probably look this up myself if I had more time, but I was hoping someone might know off the top of their head: I forgot/didn't think to purchase an Extended Warranty for my 3070; how long do I have after the purchase date to do that?

This question is where I might like some thread input now . . . what would the thread consider to be the "better deal", so to speak? By that, I mean which length of warranty. At least for the standard warranty, I've had to use that once and when I sent in a 970, they deemed it to be toast and I got a 1060 6GB back, which I felt was pretty swell of them. However, I'm sure at some point things would phase far enough out that I would probably get back like an xx30 or something, which . . . probably not really useful. Unless that's not how it works at all and I'm missing something here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zarin posted:

I realize I can probably look this up myself if I had more time, but I was hoping someone might know off the top of their head: I forgot/didn't think to purchase an Extended Warranty for my 3070; how long do I have after the purchase date to do that?

90 days after purchase, but unless you plan to do overclocking then I don't see the point. At stock numbers after the initial three year warranty is up how much longer is it going to be before you move up to something else? These aren't likely to be as viable as long as the 1080ti was.

If you're overclocking, the five year is worth it maybe? I genuinely can't remember when I used a graphics card longer than that. I felt like I was stuck on my 660 forever but that was just shy of four.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

nitsuga posted:

Before getting too alarmist, I'd check the cable. I've seen my fair share of glitches like that all due to a bad cable. Outside of that, updating your drivers and repasting would be worth trying. MX-4 would be be perfectly fine, but the only MX-5 I know of is a Miata, so please don't repaste your GPU with one of those.

Failing that, it might be the card itself failing. It's a bad time for that, as you may have noticed, but I'd rule out the other possibilities first.

I think the cable(s) is OK because I've had other cards working with the same HDMI and same PSU.

I was wondering why MX-5 felt so weird to type. I'm in the UK and the top result for MX-5 would involve sandwiching a car between the die and shroud.

e: Miata = Mazda. I didn't know that.

e2: Miata is actually the model.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 25, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

If you're overclocking, the five year is worth it maybe? I genuinely can't remember when I used a graphics card longer than that. I felt like I was stuck on my 660 forever but that was just shy of four.

Overclocking barely make sense on these cards, anyhow--undervolting is where it's at. But I agree; I know some people like getting the super extended warranties, but I can't see myself holding on to a card for 6+ years hoping that it'll break so I can try to get EVGA to trade me up to a newer/better card.

Also it's worth checking out the policies of whatever credit card you used to purchase it: some of them offer 12-24 months extended warranty anyhow.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

apropos man posted:

I think the cable(s) is OK because I've had other cards working with the same HDMI and same PSU.

I was wondering why MX-5 felt so weird to type. I'm in the UK and the top result for MX-5 would involve sandwiching a car between the die and shroud.

I'd still try a different cable to rule it out. My PS4 did the same thing and I thought it was cooked, but nope swapping the cable cleared everything up. And yeah, just giving you a hard time, you'd for sure need a new GPU if you got a Miata involved. :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If a GPU breaks it is way more likely to break in the standard warranty period. If it survives outside of that it's probably going to keep trucking for years, and not die until it was pretty obsolete anyway. Keep in mind that if they do send a replacement it will be similar performance, not the same model. You usually still get an upgrade but right now if someone were to RMA a 1080 they'd probably get a 3060, not a 3080.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Okay so I've come into possession of a 3080 which I no longer have use for (it's a long story). It cost me 1100 dollars and I just want to recoup my money. It works, it's an EVGA XC3 Ultra. What is the safest way to sell it, to make sure that I don't get scammed (i.e. someone buys it and then says it's broken to swap it with a broken one or just doesn't pay me or some other kind of sketchy thing)?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In-person via FB Marketplace or Craigslist, or SA-Mart.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Also try r/hardwareswap and do an in person cash exchange. Unfortunately, when you do a paypal transaction, Paypal will side with buyers 99% of the time in a dispute.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

My Asus 3080 Strix OC does something weird sometimes, it seems to happen when I manually overclock it and requires a shutdown of the pc to resolve it. It gets into a state when performance is very very bad but clock rate is still in the normal range (1900-2050). The power usage is very low though, like 120-200 watts. I'm going to try running it completely stock for a few days to see if it happens naturally. My gut tells me that not all the cores are operating but I don't know if that makes sense.

I tried a clean driver install and that didn't help. Has anyone seen this before?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

In-person via FB Marketplace or Craigslist, or SA-Mart.

This. Cash is about the only thing that can't be reversed or otherwise put an account of yours at risk.

I will note that there doesn't seem to be a rash of people trying to dick around with eBay sales right now (there are some people still trying to bid auctions up to like $10k and then never pay, but BIN ones seem to largely be unaffected). Any 3080 right now would be under original warranty, anyhow, so there'd be little reason to go through the risk/hassle of a switcheroo like that with a broken one. As long as you don't ship until eBay says "Paid; Ship now!" you can't get scammed for non-payment.

The only real risk is them claiming "item not as described" and then sending you back a brick or something, but I've yet to hear that actually happening--right now it seems that eBay buyers are overwhelmingly people who just want cards and aren't willing to / can't sit home playing the F5/Discord game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why is SA considered safe? Goons are mostly decent people/care about their accounts?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Because only a fool would risk their $10 account in order to steal a $1000 gpu

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Why is SA considered safe? Goons are mostly decent people/care about their accounts?

Pretty much. The $10 tax to get in filters out a lot of the scammers. It's still possible to be a dick and do an "item not as described" then send you a brick scam through PayPal, but it simply doesn't happen very often.

If you look back through this thread, there are dozens of goons providing "finder" services to others and no one has come back with a horror story yet.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even if someone did end up getting scammed, I would pretty much assume we would immediately have a bunch of goons pooling money to bail out whoever got scammed.

More than anything else, goons are just old posters who don't have time for your typical nonsense. It's not your typical churn of people coming and going like Reddit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrDork posted:

Pretty much. The $10 tax to get in filters out a lot of the scammers. It's still possible to be a dick and do an "item not as described" then send you a brick scam through PayPal, but it simply doesn't happen very often.

If you look back through this thread, there are dozens of goons providing "finder" services to others and no one has come back with a horror story yet.

gpppppppppp-pu

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If it were a ftw I’d do it, dang

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna say avoid craigslist. Apparently it's way, way less popular than facebook marketplace and everyone is just offering me $300 for my 1080 ti's. I might say gently caress it and build my own mining rig or something equally stupid.

e: my coworker that is basically a scalper but "only" adds $100 to his total cost for cards told me he doesn't even bother with craigslist any more.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EngineerJoe posted:

My Asus 3080 Strix OC does something weird sometimes, it seems to happen when I manually overclock it and requires a shutdown of the pc to resolve it. It gets into a state when performance is very very bad but clock rate is still in the normal range (1900-2050). The power usage is very low though, like 120-200 watts. I'm going to try running it completely stock for a few days to see if it happens naturally. My gut tells me that not all the cores are operating but I don't know if that makes sense.

I tried a clean driver install and that didn't help. Has anyone seen this before?

check armory crate for the new driver that isnt on the asus website yet

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It depends a lot on the city but yeah Craigslist is really dying outside of niche stuff. It's too bad, it was my preferred way of buying/selling with randos and hoping not to get stabbed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fknlo posted:

I'm gonna say avoid craigslist. Apparently it's way, way less popular than facebook marketplace and everyone is just offering me $300 for my 1080 ti's. I might say gently caress it and build my own mining rig or something equally stupid.

e: my coworker that is basically a scalper but "only" adds $100 to his total cost for cards told me he doesn't even bother with craigslist any more.

craigslist is great in a major city. You just have to pre-empt the regular bullshit. Cash only, no trades, price is firm. Dont hold items waiting for people who dont show up. I tell them and the 3 other that people want this, whoever arrives first with the money gets it and everyone else gets told to go home. Only 1 person ever shows up.

Its 5v1 wasting your time to actual buyers contacting you on CL

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I mean FB Marketplace has a ton of exposure to people, but a lot of those people are bored moms and rando kids and whatnot that are going to message you asking if you could cut the price in half because it's their birthday or whatever.

Every sales venue sucks, they just suck differently depending on what you're selling and where.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I've sold so much poo poo on fb marketplace over the past 3 months: a Switch, Mobo, monitor, games, a controller, a phone, oculus rift s, a 3ds, a sky 3ds card, sure you get a lot of people low balling you, or you get the ever popular "is this still available" "sure is" "*silence". just meet at like a grocery store or something and if you're nervous about it bring a friend.

Yeah craigslist sucks now, I don't even bother looking for cars there anymore, too much garbage, can't see the mileage until you click the link, have to call or text a random person, FB is nice because you can look at the person's profile and poo poo and decide if you trust them, craigslist, I've ended up at so many sketchy houses to look at a car that ended up having a junkyard engine or oh btw you're gonna need a new head gasket like get hosed.

also make sure they show you the money, make sure the money doesn't say "for motion picture use only" poo poo was uncommon but happened when I worked in pizza delivery.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 25, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

apropos man posted:

The MX-5 is called Miata in some markets.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

HalloKitty posted:

The MX-5 is called Miata in some markets.

And it is an awesome little sports car, tbh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I finally had time to sit down and OC my 3060ti today. I have it holding steady at +188MHz core clock and +710MHz memory clock. Added like 1000 to my Time Spy benchmark. I was disappointed to settle for the 3060 when I got it but this OC was much better than I expected. I think I could probably push the memory clock a little more but I’m pretty happy with it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won a 10700k in a sweepstakes so im going to build a new PC around it. What GPU is a good pairing for 1440p gaming?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I won a 10700k in a sweepstakes so im going to build a new PC around it. What GPU is a good pairing for 1440p gaming?

I feel like at this point the question is: "How much time do you have to sit around F5-ing/joining discords?" cause that's honestly going to determine your options more than anything else

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

The one you can actually find.

I had a 2070S and that was great for 1440p though that may change in the near future. The 3060ti has also been serving me well. The 3070 is probably the ideal if you can get one though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you both realize who you're replying to right

at this point i assume that dude just has a matrix operator command center devoted entirely to buying/winning computer parts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A 10700k would not hold back any modern GPU at 1440p so RTX 3090 :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fauxtool posted:

3070 has worked just fine for me

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I finally had time to sit down and OC my 3060ti today. I have it holding steady at +188MHz core clock and +710MHz memory clock. Added like 1000 to my Time Spy benchmark. I was disappointed to settle for the 3060 when I got it but this OC was much better than I expected. I think I could probably push the memory clock a little more but I’m pretty happy with it.

Which model is it? All of the non-FE versions come OC'ed out of the box already

Also to answer the above question, 3060 ti has been really pulling through for me on max settings at 1440p in pretty much every game (though I'm on a 75hz monitor)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

change my name posted:

Which model is it? All of the non-FE versions come OC'ed out of the box already

It’s a FE.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

you both realize who you're replying to right

at this point i assume that dude just has a matrix operator command center devoted entirely to buying/winning computer parts

correct, retail availability is not a concern. Even if the reference 6900xt was somehow the best I would get it.

hobbesmaster posted:

A 10700k would not hold back any modern GPU at 1440p so RTX 3090 :v:

strix of course right?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 25, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you truly want to demonstrate your f5 and :pcgaming: prowess, K|ngp|n.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hobbesmaster posted:

If you truly want to demonstrate your f5 and :pcgaming: prowess, K|ngp|n.

Wow that's an ugly GPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

change my name posted:

Wow that's an ugly GPU

yeah, isn't it great?