Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Going through old shows and X-Pac losing crowd favor isn't shocking. He's going over way more popular people through interference all the drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
an Uncle Kracker remix for a theme is a burden no stable should have to carry, not even X-Pac's

that's the stand I'm taking, and I'll never give that back

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Who the gently caress was suicidal/drunk Hawk supposed to get over? I can't understand why any of this angle happened other than someone had a terrible idea.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Who the gently caress was suicidal/drunk Hawk supposed to get over? I can't understand why any of this angle happened other than someone had a terrible idea.

At the time almost all media was marketed towards people’s most base, sadistic impulses. Almost all “comedy” was based around punching down. Some blame it on backlash against PC culture puritanism of the 90s but in reality it was the worst people starting to feel their unearned privilege slipping as equality was rising and there was a collective push from
media elites and advertisers to shut that down by presenting the most vile and abhorrent views as “funny” and “subversive” therefore intelligent. It made really stupid people feel like they were better than people with empathy because they could pretend they knew how real life was and could take it, unlike all those bleeding hearts who can’t take a joke.

That’s my theory anyway, it’s why WWE was so successful then, the culture matched the ideals of Vince McMahon and he got lucky by being the right hosed up heinous guy at the right time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

At the time almost all media was marketed towards people’s most base, sadistic impulses. Almost all “comedy” was based around punching down. Some blame it on backlash against PC culture puritanism of the 90s but in reality it was the worst people starting to feel their unearned privilege slipping as equality was rising and there was a collective push from
media elites and advertisers to shut that down by presenting the most vile and abhorrent views as “funny” and “subversive” therefore intelligent. It made really stupid people feel like they were better than people with empathy because they could pretend they knew how real life was and could take it, unlike all those bleeding hearts who can’t take a joke.

That’s my theory anyway, it’s why WWE was so successful then, the culture matched the ideals of Vince McMahon and he got lucky by being the right hosed up heinous guy at the right time.

Not a bad theory at all. I was literally 10 at the time so I can't totally remember the atmosphere then.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

anakha posted:

Road Dogg & K-Kwik, Billy & Chuck and X-Factor were all equally poo poo IMO.

Billy & Chuck stands out for me because as well as being generally bad and another quest for shock value, it was also wildly homophobic and a deliberate "gently caress you" to the gay community.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, they got GLAAD involved because they gave them their word that it was a legitimate storyline and that the wedding would actually happen without any bullshit.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TheKingslayer posted:

It was supposed to get droz over as a mega heel

It was for smart fans that would know hawk was an alcoholic I think

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And Droz was positioned to get over like that because HE'S GONNA PUKE

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

davidbix posted:

MUCH better in the ring than he gets credit for. Best place to start is probably his Portland work that's on YouTube (lots of long 2/3 fall main events) and the stuff from the 1983 Greg Valentine feud that's on WWE Network (Hidden Gems house show match, Starrcade '83 dog collar match, and whatever matches/angles are on the weekly Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling shows).

That said, his match with Bret at WrestleMania is pretty much the last worthwhile match he ever had, and his work by the time he got to WCW was abysmal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

it wasn't supposed to get over it was supposed to bury Hawk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TL posted:

That said, his match with Bret at WrestleMania is pretty much the last worthwhile match he ever had, and his work by the time he got to WCW was abysmal.

Even the mic work is pretty bad outside of (maybe) Piper's initial promo. Then you have that whole 'Piper's Tryouts' segment and... woof.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dawgstar posted:

Even the mic work is pretty bad outside of (maybe) Piper's initial promo. Then you have that whole 'Piper's Tryouts' segment and... woof.

80s Piper who got into poo poo with Sammartino and late 90s Piper who generally screamed nonsense may legally be the same person, but they're pretty far apart.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

By the time he's in WCW he's had his hip replaced so there was no chance of him being able to move properly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who are the best all-time sellers in the business? Someone who sells really well without overselling or making it too obvious, just able to make someone look really strong. They could be anyone on the card (be it jobber or main-eventer). I think my current gold standard is Tomohiro Ishii but I'm also looking for others

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

By the time he's in WCW he's had his hip replaced so there was no chance of him being able to move properly.

Wasn't it both hips? And wouldn't hip replacement make him move better than before?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lily Catts posted:

Who are the best all-time sellers in the business? Someone who sells really well without overselling or making it too obvious, just able to make someone look really strong. They could be anyone on the card (be it jobber or main-eventer). I think my current gold standard is Tomohiro Ishii but I'm also looking for others

I always thought Mr Perfect was pretty drat good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ricky Steamboat
Bryan Danielson
Ricky Morton
DDP
Randy Savage
Bret Hart
El Generico
Eddie Guerrero
Brian Pillman

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 26, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Scott Hall could sell like a champ when he felt up to it. Nash gave him the power bomb and Hall sold like his back was broken, real brutal looking.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ricky Steamboat
Bryan Danielson
Ricky Morton
DDP
Randy Savage
Bret Hart
El Generico
Eddie Guerrero
Brian Pillman

Rey Misterio
Kenta Kobashi
Terry Funk
Toshiaki Kawada
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Shawn Michaels (when he felt like it)

Typically babyfaces are great at selling. Kawada is the exception because he's a crazy person who studied tape of boxers getting knocked out so he could sell misawa head trauma moves correctly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Rey Misterio
Kenta Kobashi
Terry Funk
Toshiaki Kawada
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Shawn Michaels (when he felt like it)

Typically babyfaces are great at selling. Kawada is the exception because he's a crazy person who studied tape of boxers getting knocked out so he could sell misawa head trauma moves correctly

Can't believe I forgot Funk

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Mick Foley has several best sellers.

(Thumbs up, cheap pop.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I thought Shawn Michaels was great but that match with Hogan kinda disqualifies him (in a good way though, because gently caress Hogan)

Also how could I forget Tanahashi and his New Beginning 2018 match with Minoru Suzuki

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think Brock Lesnar has underrated selling. When the time comes he bumps his rear end off and does some great bits where he covers up like he's rocked and punches air

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Moxley's pretty great at selling. It's one of the things that made him stand out to me early on. Dustin Rhodes, also.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ray Traylor was super underrated at selling.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJF is one of the best sellers on the AEW roster right now.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hogan's a funny one in hindsight because the Hulk Up was obviously infamous, but before that point he'd sell moves like he was being shot full of bees

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan matches were built on the whiplash of 'HERE IS YOUR GODDAMN SUPERHERO' and 'oh no this poor, sad old man is getting beaten up, how can he overcome this?' 'OH YEAH BECAUSE HE'S HULK HOGAN KICK WHAM LEGDROP!'

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pylons posted:

MJF is one of the best sellers on the AEW roster right now.
He sells the reverse hurricanrana like a boss

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lily Catts posted:

I want to say Foley, but a lot of that pain was legit, so...

Bret made everyone look like a million dollars without over selling.

Edit: No one sold the Stunner like Scott Hall. Amazing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

During his God run Okada was amazing at selling making you think the guy challenging him was finally going to be the one to beat him only to pull it out at the last minute. And end up making the challenger look amazing

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Okada’s one of the greatest sellers of all time, dude sells kick outs better than a lot of guys sell finishers. You can literally follow the story of the match just by watching his face.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lily Catts posted:

Where the hell is Lanny Poffo?

Also, Curt Hennig seconded.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Comedy answer is Zack Sabre Jr . Every time he takes a hit his lights immediately go out.

But for real I think it's either Tanahashi or Kawada. I wouldn't be surprised if Kawada worked a bit with Ishii in the early-mid 2000s, they both have such phenomenal timing in when the exact right moment to start selling is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dawgstar posted:

Ray Traylor was super underrated at selling.

If I recall right, he was so good at selling for the big stars when he was an enhancement guy, particularly at "going up light" that they quickly pulled him off the air so they could repackage him as Big Bubba and make him a proper character member of the roster himself?

The Cameo posted:

Okada’s one of the greatest sellers of all time, dude sells kick outs better than a lot of guys sell finishers. You can literally follow the story of the match just by watching his face.

Somebody put it best when they called his 2.9999999999 kickouts what Jeff Jarrett thought he was doing during his days as TNA Champion. :laugh:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Yea to me he’s the best ever

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I think at this point when it comes to this whole wrestling thing, it's easier to list things that Okada is NOT good at.

1. The Money Clip.
2. Erm... help me out here, guys?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
He loses lot of his game when he doesn't have a crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hoss Corncave posted:

I think at this point when it comes to this whole wrestling thing, it's easier to list things that Okada is NOT good at.

1. The Money Clip.
2. Erm... help me out here, guys?

Wrestling Yujiro