Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
HMM, thank you! I hadn't realized they had the 16GB/256GB in stock, I think I'll order one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1604834-REG/apple_z124_mgn6_05_bh_13_3_macbook_air_with.html

I'm well past the return window but I'd rather eat the loss than deal with the machine chugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Glad I was able to help! It's definitely worth seeing if Apple will still take the return, but if not you should have no trouble selling that on here or on craigslist.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I believe the original Apple purchase date was 12/22, so that kinda sucks, but it is in perfect condition so it shouldn't be too bad of a loss. :)

e: that was quick, my friend pre-purchased the 8GB/256GB one from me for $950

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 25, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I believe the original Apple purchase date was 12/22, so that kinda sucks, but it is in perfect condition so it shouldn't be too bad of a loss. :)

e: that was quick, my friend pre-purchased the 8GB/256GB one from me

Great you got it sold!

I was gonna ask when it was delivered since you might be able to leverage that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

beefnoodle posted:

I'm looking for something like this USB-C Hub for my M1 mini. All I'm finding are no-name (at least to me) brands. At a minimum I want a place to stick a SATA drive, and some additional USB-A and -C ports. I don't need video connections. Any recommendations?

https://wgbus.com/products/mac-m1-usb-c-docking-station-with-hdd-enclosure

Bringing this back since while I'm still looking for just the right Mini hub, I found a resource for USB-C-focused hubs. Someone else might find it useful: https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2020/12/08/10-usb-c-hubs-with-2-or-more-usb-c-downstream-ports/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love Safari on iOS but they just keep removing the good adblocker plugins on MacOS
I’m still recommending AdGuard, never had any problems with it so far

Also, not quite an adblocker but Hush is a cool little tool that suppresses all those godforsaken cookie warnings and tracker opt-in dialogs that are even more prevalent than popups windows used to be.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Well I got my wife an M1 Air, and it's amazing. I just ordered one for myself too.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Chrome is fine. And M1 build of Chrome is extra fine. Possible I might squeeze some extra battery if I used Safari but Safari sucks.

The Chromeisbad site slowdown claims are not universal.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve used firefox for fifteen years

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hatty posted:

I’ve used firefox for fifteen years

(Angrily shakes coffee can full of pennies)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Safari really sucks if you actually are a cool guy who does important cool guy nerd things.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm a normie and Safari rules.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

American McGay posted:

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

American McGay posted:

:yeah:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

:same:

My history of OS use
- Opera on Win 7 (pre-Chrome)
- Safari (when my Windows machine died)
- Safari + Firefox when various websites started ruining their layouts with all this wasted white space.

gently caress Chrome.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Today I learned iCab is still being actively developed. For a hot second das internet taxi was the best browser for MacOS 8. Tempted to download it for old times sake but

American McGay posted:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

:goodamen:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought my in-laws a new Mini and because of some weird Migration Assistant screwup, authentication was completely hosed and left in a broken state that even survived a regular flatten-and-reinstall.

It's sort of weird to do a full-on DFU restore on a Mac, as if it's an iPad.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Since the thread touched upon it a page or so ago - any carrying case/sleeve recommendations for an M1 Air? I didn't see any specifics mentioned.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Whatever loving idiot decided to put one usb on the m1 mac mini should be fired

Also In general if seems like usb barely works with the mini. My lg monitor usb extension "draws too much power" and if it's plugged in will make the m1 poo poo off all usb ports ugh
...there's two USB-A and two USB-C ports :confused:

Last Chance posted:

safari 14 supports webp (but no one uses it anyway), has always embedded webms fine for me (at least from imgur), only missing the anchor thing really, which is annoying
I'm guessing Imgur is seeing Safari and serving a mp4 version on the fly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Harlock posted:

Since the thread touched upon it a page or so ago - any carrying case/sleeve recommendations for an M1 Air? I didn't see any specifics mentioned.

Do you want just a sleeve or something you can stick your power cord in etc or what?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

BlackMK4 posted:

After one month as a base MBA as my daily machine, I deeply regret not waiting for a 16GB.
What do you use it for and how bad is it?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Harlock posted:

Tom Bihn Cache

I've been using an older style since 2011 and wouldn't recommend or buy anything else.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bob Morales posted:

Do you want just a sleeve or something you can stick your power cord in etc or what?
I'm open to both, whatever you feel passionate about. Just hoping for options under $50.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Tom Bihn Cache

I've been using an older style since 2011 and wouldn't recommend or buy anything else.
Thanks for this, I'll take a gander.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Harlock posted:

Unless you have something very specific in mind, I've been using these wool sleeves for about 6 years now. I started off with a 13" for my work laptop, and have since expanded and gotten 11" and 15" sleeves as well

They're like $14 usd

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Inch-Macbook-Laptop-Sleeve/dp/B013TGFTDY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Booq makes a nice sleeeve

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Tom Bihn Cache

I also use this. Have had my Tom Bihn Synapse back pack for years with a cache and it still will fit my 16GB MacBook Air M1 arriving this Friday.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Xabi posted:

What do you use it for and how bad is it?

software dev

Serving an Angular 11 app, WebStorm, GitKraken, 10-15 Chrome tabs, Spotify, Messages, and a Screen Sharing connection open to my Windows machine for working on the associated .NET API

I end up having to juggle applications open otherwise it lags so hard the mouse starts skipping, windows refuse to refresh, etc. Clearly not a normal use-case for 8GB so it is my fault for buying into the hype of 8GB being fine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BlackMK4 posted:

I end up having to juggle applications open otherwise it lags so hard the mouse starts skipping, windows refuse to refresh, etc. Clearly not a normal use-case for 8GB so it is my fault for buying into the hype of 8GB being fine.

john fireball has much to answer for

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Loving my MBP M1 so far. I was going to keep my 2013 MBP, but now I'm actually thinking of selling it and completely switching.

Other thing of interest is I got a new job and with that new job came the Dell XPS. It's the base model (8gig, 256, i5, 15"), but it's crazy how similar it is to the MBP. The box the XPS came in is pretty much the same experience as the Apple, it's got all USBc with no regular USB, it's got the touch sign in in the exact same location, the track pad is massive like the Apple. I would have figured some of these things were patented and Apple alone would have them, but I guess not.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Earth posted:

Loving my MBP M1 so far. I was going to keep my 2013 MBP, but now I'm actually thinking of selling it and completely switching.

That was almost me this year. I have a late 2013 retina. I ended up nuking & paving it after the most recent macOS update sorta slowed things down. That gave me enough of a speed boost that should last until the hypothetical M2 14 inch. I still can’t believe this thing held on for as long as it did. It probably has another 3 years of life in it if I were to make it a Linux machine, and I recently did try it with Linux, but the trackpad feel was horrific.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just got my tracking number so let the :f5: begin.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I have an M1 mini. When waking up from sleep, it refuses to recognize my keyboard until I unplug it and replug it, it regularly forgets to send an HDMI signal, and Firefox rendering freezes. It cannot send a reliable Thunderbolt -> DP signal regardless of situation. There are several amazing things about this computer, but I also wake up every day hoping there’s a notification in the update section of System Preferences.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Local Apple Store had the Gold M1 Air w/ 8 Core GPU, 16 GB, 1 TB in stock with all-too-worth-it $9 courier delivery and I couldn't resist any longer. It's coming tomorrow between 11:30am and 1:30pm. Gosh is this going to be quite the upgrade from my beloved (and dreadfully slow) 12" MacBook. It was always my lowest power "most portable" machine for "light usage, on-the-go" (I was thinking airplane trays and tiny home rentals, which it is indeed awesome for) and yet I've ended up using it all the drat time (and for all sorts of things) around the house due to how comfy it is on the couch, in bed, etc. Here's hoping the 13" Air won't feel too... big?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sure the massively improved keyboard and speed will make up for the larger size

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

admiraldennis posted:

Local Apple Store had the Gold M1 Air w/ 8 Core GPU, 16 GB, 1 TB in stock with all-too-worth-it $9 courier delivery and I couldn't resist any longer. It's coming tomorrow between 11:30am and 1:30pm. Gosh is this going to be quite the upgrade from my beloved (and dreadfully slow) 12" MacBook. It was always my lowest power "most portable" machine for "light usage, on-the-go" (I was thinking airplane trays and tiny home rentals, which it is indeed awesome for) and yet I've ended up using it all the drat time (and for all sorts of things) around the house due to how comfy it is on the couch, in bed, etc. Here's hoping the 13" Air won't feel too... big?

Uuuuh....how many tiny homes are you renting, exactly?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For the longest time I thought the gold looked tacky but, I dunno, I’m kinda warmed up to it in person at the Apple store. Any gold laptop goons here?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

buglord posted:

For the longest time I thought the gold looked tacky but, I dunno, I’m kinda warmed up to it in person at the Apple store. Any gold laptop goons here?

They made the gold much more of a warm, rosey gold in recent iterations. It's a lot nicer than the old gold, IMO.

My 12" is rose gold, and I would have bought another rose gold laptop in a heartbeat. But the new gold is quite lovely.

These finishes are tough to photograph, and this low-res transcoded screenshot doesn't really do any of them justice, but here's something of a comparison:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Uuuuh....how many tiny homes are you renting, exactly?

In the beforetimes, I used to go on regular week-or-two solo trips to expensive places like the Bay Area and would often stay in tiny homes and trailer conversion airbnbs for the massive savings over other options (and also I think they're neat).

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

I ordered a fancy-pants Air after eight years of a workhorse MBP and it's been a lovely (dongle) life so far. I've been using it for two weeks now and just noticed the thing wobbles. The front left paw isn't touching the desk. Same thing on different surfaces. I've not used this before while charging at the same time, can it be that the innards are expanding while it's plugged in? The clanking is driving me insane. Is this what the oldies called bendgate? Now what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unacceptable. They'll replace it.