Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Three Houses hard should probably called 'normal' or something because it's really not hard.

I'm still upset there's not a difficulty setting between hard and maddening, because hard is too easy and maddening is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think normal is geared for if this is your first Fire Emblem/SRPG experience. Hard I'd say is the baseline difficulty.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

do u believe in marigolds posted:

How "hard" is hard mode? I'm finishing a classic normal mode and my units are one-shotting enemies and it's getting boring. I want a little more of a challenge but not so much more than I have to rely on certain units gaining certain stats at level up to make them useable.

I did NG+ hard with meme builds like brawler Constance. I'm fairly certain I could have done NG hard with meme builds if I wanted to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're remotely familiar with fire emblem, Hard is like baseline minimum.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I did NG+ hard with meme builds like brawler Constance. I'm fairly certain I could have done NG hard with meme builds if I wanted to.

I'm not sure if you'd call it a meme build, but I did NG hard with Swordmaster Lys, Assassin Marianne, and Bishop Raphael. It's really not hard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If you feel like normal is a cakewalk, hard won't challenge you that much more. You'll have a little more difficulty early but the power curve on your units will outpace the game.

I'd suggest having a look at the DLC on hard because I feel like that's a real step up but not Maddening level.

I'd also suggest looking at Maddening anyway because if you plan a little it's really not too bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Except maddening sucks mostly because of same turn reinforcement that they brought back from hell

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Meh you only get same turn reinforcements after you get divine pulse. So I just take them as pulse taxes and move on with my life.

The mechanic sucks, but it's at least in a game that's designed for it. I'll take maddening over the utter hell that is conquest lunatic any day of the week.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

How "hard" is hard mode? I'm finishing a classic normal mode and my units are one-shotting enemies and it's getting boring. I want a little more of a challenge but not so much more than I have to rely on certain units gaining certain stats at level up to make them useable.

Hard is probably right up your alley. Enemies are a bit stronger, to the point where the abilities your units learn can make a big difference, but it doesn’t demand that you know all the intricacies of the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tae posted:

Except maddening sucks mostly because of same turn reinforcement that they brought back from hell

This is my one complaint about Maddening. Other than that, I think the difficulty is perfect.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Hellioning posted:

Three Houses hard should probably called 'normal' or something because it's really not hard.

I'm still upset there's not a difficulty setting between hard and maddening, because hard is too easy and maddening is ridiculous.

This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm playing Normal Classic (i.e with permadeaths). My first, very short, run was a death spiral. Later, I ran into a stonewall with Ingrid one-hitting Edelgard in the Battle of the Lion and the Eagle. Each time I had to stop and study how to play the game and how to use basic features like Battle Forecasts to my advantage. Also things like what the point of having skills is.

But now I feel more confident I have to admit that when I took the impregnable fortress of Arianrhod it felt surprisingly easy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Prurient Squid posted:

This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm playing Normal Classic (i.e with permadeaths). My first, very short, run was a death spiral. Later, I ran into a stonewall with Ingrid one-hitting Edelgard in the Battle of the Lion and the Eagle. Each time I had to stop and study how to play the game and how to use basic features like Battle Forecasts to my advantage. Also things like what the point of having skills is.

But now I feel more confident I have to admit that when I took the impregnable fortress of Arianrhod it felt surprisingly easy.

Yeah this is a really good point actually. We tend to assume that everyone is playing the way that Fire Emblem is intended which is resetting when a character dies. But that's definitely not intuitive from how the game presents Classic mode.

If you're approaching the game as someone unfamiliar with Fire Emblem but familiar with XCOM and taking it as an XCOM style game, then normal is going to be a good pace for you.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I only just recently realised how useful Lindhardt's Physic ability due to it's enormous range.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

I only just recently realised how useful Lindhardt's Physic ability due to it's enormous range.

He isn't the only one to get it. Dorothea, Benadetta, Mercedes, Ashe, Sylvain, Ingrid, Ignatz, Marianne, Leonie, Shamir, and Hapi all get it as their C level Faith.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I really like how when Jeritza levels up he rasps "Mada". Especially since I know what it means. "I just got a bit stronger and I'm jolly pleased with that but I still have a little bit to go before I'm quite as strong as I'd like to be".

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

I want a little more of a challenge but not so much more than I have to rely on certain units gaining certain stats at level up to make them useable.

For what its worth, I wouldn't describe Maddening at all being dependent on this sort've thing at all; 3 Houses gives tons of ways of 'fixing' charaters performance through skills the right battalions and fixed stat bumps on promotion to class minimums that can be exploited to keep everyone at least functional if you know what you're doing. I would still try Hard first and see if you found that enjoyable before making the jump, particularly because Maddening is grueling out the gate.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah this is a really good point actually. We tend to assume that everyone is playing the way that Fire Emblem is intended which is resetting when a character dies. But that's definitely not intuitive from how the game presents Classic mode.

I mean, the ability to go back a turn or two is amazing and if the next game doesn't somehow implement the same feature it'll have to be pretty much perfect in every other way to make me grind through complete maps again.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

We tend to assume that everyone is playing the way that Fire Emblem is intended which is resetting when a character dies.

Wait, did you accidently a "not" in there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

He isn't the only one to get it. Dorothea, Benadetta, Mercedes, Ashe, Sylvain, Ingrid, Ignatz, Marianne, Leonie, Shamir, and Hapi all get it as their C level Faith.

If you're playing casually though, the only other person you'd see get it on a CF run is Dorothea. Similarly, of the rest of that list, you'd only really see Physic on Mercedes, Marianne, Hapi and maaaybe Sylvain (but magic Sylvain isn't immediately intuitive when you first get him).

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

All I know is that if playing Fire Emblem leads to me improving my ability to mentally calculate differences then it was all worth it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rimusutera posted:

Wait, did you accidently a "not" in there.

Assuming this isn't a :thejoke:

The guys at Intsys have said that that's how they expect people to play the game.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Everyone knows about the soft reset right? Hold down L R - + together and it takes you back to the title screen? You're not all hitting the home button, closing the game and then restarting right?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Who needs to reset when you have like 10 divine pulse charges?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

The guys at Intsys have said that that's how they expect people to play the game.

Maybe they phrased it differently but that's not the same as it being 'intended' to be played that way. The idea that people regularly reset is something that took the Devs by surprise originally, and the fact that Permadeath is still around as a mechanic means as a whole the series is living with the intended design choice that it brings, despite more and more attempts at conceding to the play style of perfectionists through things like casual mode. Like in the other thread I'm responding to a statement that's phrasing, you saying Fire Emblem rather than Three Houses, implies the series as a whole and get that 3Houses is specifically way more on the "yeah, you dont really wanna not reset" end of the spectrum here but the point stands.

Ogmius815 posted:

Who needs to reset when you have like 10 divine pulse charges?

I have absolutely burned through that many in the past.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rimusutera posted:

Maybe they phrased it differently but that's not the same as it being 'intended' to be played that way. The idea that people regularly reset is something that took the Devs by surprise originally, and the fact that Permadeath is still around as a mechanic means as a whole the series is living with the intended design choice that it brings, despite more and more attempts at conceding to the play style of perfectionists through things like casual mode. Like in the other thread I'm responding to a statement that's phrasing, you saying Fire Emblem rather than Three Houses, implies the series as a whole and get that 3Houses is specifically way more on the "yeah, you dont really wanna not reset" end of the spectrum here but the point stands.

I have absolutely burned through that many in the past.

Originally was almost 30 years ago. The quote talks about how they've been assuming/designing around it since at least Genealogy of the Holy War

Like do any of the orginal Fire Emblem designers even work on the series anymore? The first game was released in 1990.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Does anyone have a link to the quote in question?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hubert is a good boy who is very helpful to Edelgard. Keep up the work Hubert!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is it possible to have a tea party with Death Knight in full getup and if not why not and also when is the Death Knight Tea Party full length spinoff coming out?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Prurient Squid posted:

Is it possible to have a tea party with Death Knight in full getup and if not why not and also when is the Death Knight Tea Party full length spinoff coming out?

It is but you have to use one of the model randomizers since DK with and wo helmet are different models.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The karmic penalty for savescumming your way through a Fire Emblem game is that you are cursed to play more Fire Emblem and this spiral of endlessly recurring damnation is an inferno from which there is no hope of escape.

fakeedit: a chapter of Dante's ineferno in which the savescummers and the casual moders are compelled to run in equal and opposite directions until the end of time screaming at each other as they pass

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
An artist on tumblr I found is into doing modern-day art of the Golden Deer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lies, Raphael would never wear a hoodie so gigantic that it prevents him from showing off his muscles.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lies, Raphael would never wear a hoodie so gigantic that it prevents him from showing off his muscles.

Exactly, he'd be in a too-small bro tank.

The rest fit pretty well though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Marianne and Leonie are so spot on :swoon:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Doc Dee posted:

Exactly, he'd be in a too-small bro tank.

The rest fit pretty well though.

Modern AU Raph brings to mind those jocks at uni with Scottish or Nordic genetics that just walk around in tank tops and short shorts even in the dead of winter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Seeing Seiros in FEH made me realized she's barely in 3Houses.Kinda a waste of a design.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's why Rhea needed to like actually be a lord instead of just tease you with being one! she already has the classes and everything!

also her animations are sick and you never see them

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Pffft, so Seiros is actually blonde in the Three Houses intro but the lighting still makes it look green anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's actually based off opening cinematic Seiros. Apparently she dyed her hair since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's actually based off opening cinematic Seiros. Apparently she dyed her hair since.

She's supposed to be blonde in the opening cutscene, you can even see the green tips there. So she dyed it blonde as Seiros which explains why Nemesis doesn't recognize the feature at all. It just looks green anyway because of the lighting.