Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The best gimmick is stoic Japanese man who hits you very hard and drops you on your head.

very hard to argue with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ganso Bomb posted:

He probably has claim to best gimmick because it's SUCH a gimmick and has been treated and taken seriously for so many years. He's a dead guy with magic powers and spent much of his career as a serious main eventer.

Everyone else's gimmick is still rooted in being human and alive.

la momia was a main eventer in titanes en el ring for 20 nearly years and he was a literal mummy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWCbsqYOOnM

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Smoking Crow posted:

la momia was a main eventer in titanes en el ring for 20 nearly years and he was a literal mummy

Sorry, WCW has inflicted too much mummy trauma on me

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I wouldn’t put Undertaker even in the top 25 gimmicks ever because ultimately it’s incredibly stupid and nonsensical. Sting did it better, and at times so did Raven. Undertaker is what Vince McMahon thinks is the best gimmick ever because it’s the closest thing to an original idea he ever had, it’s still a lovely idea.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Mick Foley by himself had three different gimmicks that are better than the Undetaker, four if you count “Mick Foley” as a gimmick. The Mankind sit-down with JR is better character work than anything Taker did in any of his various iterations. Undertaker’s most famous promo is that cringe one about driving to the desert with Big Show.

Seams fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 24, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

The best gimmick is stoic Japanese man who hits you very hard and drops you on your head.

Minoru Suzuki is a lot of things but he aint stoic therefore this is wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

is the undertaker really the best gimmick ever? i can see from a creative standpoint that you could argue it, but taker never really drew money

fwiw, i would say the collective nature boys would be top gimmick

Undertaker definitely drew money, whether or not it is the best gimmick of all time is definitely something that can be debated and is definitely not true. The Undertaker isn't in the league of El Santo or The Destroyer and it's laughable to think otherwise.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I would argue the Undertaker is like the Troll 2 of gimmicks, widely considered by many to be the best bad movie, but even that is arguable.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

At some points the Undertaker was a super cool gimmick. At other points he sucked a lot. At all points his promos were terrible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Undertaker definitely drew money, whether or not it is the best gimmick of all time is definitely something that can be debated and is definitely not true. The Undertaker isn't in the league of El Santo or The Destroyer and it's laughable to think otherwise.

What was El Santo's gimmick? Because he's become so much the archetype of the masked luchador that it's hard for me to tell what made him stand out at the time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Masked luchador" is quite literally a gimmick

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and one who's been canonized, no less!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

What was El Santo's gimmick? Because he's become so much the archetype of the masked luchador that it's hard for me to tell what made him stand out at the time.

If you become the literal archetype of an entire family of gimmicks then it sounds like your gimmick was pretty drat good.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

maki itoh has the best gimmick.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/7_Dimensional/status/1353014620915552257?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is this just the Post Lazy Bait thread now

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's still a stupid opinion.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Alaois posted:

is this just the Post Lazy Bait thread now

when was it not this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

Mick Foley by himself had three different gimmicks that are better than the Undetaker, four if you count “Mick Foley” as a gimmick. The Mankind sit-down with JR is better character work than anything Taker did in any of his various iterations. Undertaker’s most famous promo is that cringe one about driving to the desert with Big Show.

The more he said something other than ‘rest in peace’ the more people should have known he still really needed a manager.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe matched only by Guy in Dragon-themed Mask Doing Flips.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

Ryu Lee and Tomohiro Ishii best wrestlers in world confirmed.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guy In Trash Bag Pants Doing Bad Flips

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Benne posted:

Guy In Trash Bag Pants Doing Bad Flips

I’m not ready to call Master Wato the best gimmick

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

I’m not ready to call Master Wato the best gimmick

I'm willing to call it for BxB Hulk though. Although he has stopped wearing pants and is now wearing like God of War style flaps.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/FiendWWE/status/1353758612699529216

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Calling in the Epstien lawyer to defend the Fiend to say its not illegal to create a girl tulpa of yourself in a existing woman's body and make her act like a 12 year old.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The stupid wrestling fan opinion is not Bix's

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1353816059405619200?s=20

Dunno what's sillier: the idea of 26 million people sitting down to watch WWE Road Block End of the Line tm or the phrase "outlaw fans". I was reminded that the latter was a thing started by Cornette but it makes you sound cooler: 'outlaw fan' makes you sound like some intrepid person sneaking your way to watch some illegal wrestling in some underground club.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Does Peacock even have 26 million paid subscribers?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

love the idea that something being available to watch means that everyone able to watch it will, which is why 86 million people watch Raw every week

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pylons posted:

Does Peacock even have 26 million paid subscribers?

26 people have signed up for ad free accounts. But free accounts don't get WWE stuff so no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As of October, it has 22 million subscribers, but it's unknown how many of those are paid.

As has been noted above, Comcast customers get it free, so a good chunk of those subscribers are likely non-paying Comcast customers.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think USA having 26 million people willing and wanting to watch current WWE would be a national crisis of mental health.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Endless Mike posted:

As of October, it has 22 million subscribers, but it's unknown how many of those are paid.

As has been noted above, Comcast customers get it free, so a good chunk of those subscribers are likely non-paying Comcast customers.

a very good chunk

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Can’t wait to tell all my coworkers they will finally have a chance to see what The Fiend is all about

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Can’t wait to tell all my coworkers they will finally have a chance to see what The Fiend is all about

I like the idea it will suddenly spark an interest in older stuff. "Wow! Did you see Tommy Rich and Buzz Sawyer in a cage? Wild!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

I like the idea it will suddenly spark an interest in older stuff. "Wow! Did you see Tommy Rich and Buzz Sawyer in a cage? Wild!"

I signed up for the Network once, and was interested in watching some old Great Kabuki matches. Every result I clicked on took me straight to the finish :psyduck:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/familyfooddude/status/1353849404512468992

This is peak WWE Bubble content.

"Why don't they bring in these bands that I only know from WWE entrances???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/familyfooddude/status/1353849404512468992

This is peak WWE Bubble content.

"Why don't they bring in these bands that I only know from WWE entrances???"

i love this account

https://twitter.com/UndertakerFan18/status/1353854725914034176

https://twitter.com/UndertakerFan18/status/1353846981614047232