Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

feedmegin posted:

Out of curiosity, why are you taking it as read that the Republic actually wants to absorb Northern Ireland? To the extent of also subsidising Scotland apparently?

The polls were referenced in the article that I linked earlier, but one year ago 73 percent of Irish citizens supported Northern Ireland leaving the UK and reuniting with the Republic, and only 10 percent thought that Northern Ireland should stay with the UK. And that was before Boris talked about reestablishing borders, or dismissed Northern Irish concerns, or tried to "herd immunity" through a global pandemic, or crashed the UK economy in a "Hard Brexit".

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...k-38989093.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Pudding & pie chat:

Among the items no longer being sent across the Irish Sea are well known British brands such as Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney pies

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/irish-sea-border-sees-hundreds-items-disappear-corner-shops-3112398

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

big scary monsters posted:

Mushy peas aren't just mashed up, they're soaked and cooked with baking soda. That's the secret to their deliciousness.

Mushy peas are peas thrown in a warm pan, they are parboiled with shitloads of pepper and you shift it about with a spatula until it's the right consistency of Pea. The dream is that individual peas are presevered while it's still functionally a sauce.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Burns would definitely have been repeatedly banned for horny posting in D&D.

Something something mods knew:

quote:

Nae hair on't

Yestreen I wed a lady fair,
And ye wad believe me,
On her oval office there grows nae hair,
That's the thing that grieves me.

It vexed me sair, it plagu'd me sair,
It put me in a passion,
To think that I had wad a wife,
Whase oval office was out o' fashion

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

:smdh: at the labour party.

https://twitter.com/NoisyMV/status/1353853963708334080?s=20

Also, I read yesterday that it was Nandy who said of Corbyn something along the lines of "it was our intention to break him as a man" (implying she wanted to too). Prior to this I thought Diane Abbott had said "it was their intention to break him as a man."
(I stand to be corrected on this anyway, can't find where I read it.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 26, 2021

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

mushy peas are made from dried marrowfat peas, cooked for a long time so they split and form a thick porridge. garden peas that have been attacked with a masher are not mushy peas, that's a pea puree.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HappyCamperGL posted:

mushy peas are made from dried marrowfat peas, cooked for a long time so they split and form a thick porridge. garden peas that have been attacked with a masher are not mushy peas, that's a pea puree.

bestial

comes at you steaming - seemingly designed by some profoundly sick mind to be as unappealing as possible on as many fronts as is practically possible. mushy peas, my god.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don’t even like mushy peas that much but now I want fish, chips and mushy peas. drat you.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
don't even get me loving started on beans

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i can remember i was having this conversation once and i got here and someone went "hey! that's unfair, i love mexican food, refried beans are amazing!" and i got sad about it, like i was burdening this person with this terrible knowledge curse. that soon their lives would be seperated between when they heard "oh, beans and french fries? sure, that sounds pretty good" and the grim reality i would soon paint.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Okay, now this is just loving madness.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, now this is just loving madness.

lets suspend, beans, please stop crying, lets suspend beans in, it will only go on longer if you keep crying, watery ketchup. you've wailed again, mr coolcab. we can't help you if you keep wailing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac so these are off for us. Have you tried Beyond Burgers? They’re really amazing. Better than most actual beef burgers and they thoroughly sate the meat craving. And gluten free!
Yea I’d been wanting to try these for ages after I heard about them and they do not disappoint, I’d happily take one over an actual beef burger any time. Have only found them in Costco so far though and we don’t always want all that many at once.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hang those who bum the beans

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TACD posted:

Yea I’d been wanting to try these for ages after I heard about them and they do not disappoint, I’d happily take one over an actual beef burger any time. Have only found them in Costco so far though and we don’t always want all that many at once.

Tesco and Ocado stock them. They are shockingly good.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Baked beans and a chip butty is good park cafe fare.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Refried beans are the best.

Mushy peas are great with a fish (or sausage) and chips.

Baked beans are key to a good fry up

All good stuff

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

i can remember i was having this conversation once and i got here and someone went "hey! that's unfair, i love mexican food, refried beans are amazing!" and i got sad about it, like i was burdening this person with this terrible knowledge curse. that soon their lives would be seperated between when they heard "oh, beans and french fries? sure, that sounds pretty good" and the grim reality i would soon paint.

I used to love refried beans. Especially with a big lump of butter on top.

They don't sell them round here though (well unless you're willing to take a mortgage out to get your groceries) :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Alkali salts belong on licorice.

And licorice belongs in the bin.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac so these are off for us. Have you tried Beyond Burgers? They’re really amazing. Better than most actual beef burgers and they thoroughly sate the meat craving. And gluten free!

Agree with this, they are very good. I'm a lifelong vegetarian so I can't make a direct comparison but the first time we had them my wife was absolutely convinced we must've been given actual beef by mistake.

She said "They're a very convincing imitation of the kind of low-quality burger that you get at a McDonalds" or something which is actually kind of an endorsement.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Ms Adequate posted:

And licorice belongs in the bin.
You're a wrong 'un

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They don't sell them round here though (well unless you're willing to take a mortgage out to get your groceries) :(

Wait where are you you can't get Old El Paso brand?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kaal posted:

The polls were referenced in the article that I linked earlier, but one year ago 73 percent of Irish citizens supported Northern Ireland leaving the UK and reuniting with the Republic, and only 10 percent thought that Northern Ireland should stay with the UK. And that was before Boris talked about reestablishing borders, or dismissed Northern Irish concerns, or tried to "herd immunity" through a global pandemic, or crashed the UK economy in a "Hard Brexit".

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...k-38989093.html

*Irish citizens* don’t get a say in British politics, oddly. Now do a poll in India to see how many think Kashmir should be 100% Indian.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They’re really easy to make from a can of (not baked) beans - guess the method.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

wooger posted:

*Irish citizens* don’t get a say in British politics, oddly. Now do a poll in India to see how many think Kashmir should be 100% Indian.

We can vote here so theoretically we get as much say really

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wooger posted:

You might want to read up on the Good Friday Agreement mate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

wooger posted:

Kaal was speaking in reference to the question of whether the Republic would actually take the North should they want to reunify. So their opinions on that side of the equation are very much germane.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

wooger posted:

I was responding to someone asking if the Republic actually wanted Northern Ireland to join it. Turns out they do! Fascinating to see Northern Ireland compared to Kashmir though. Kind of elicits comment, doesn't it?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kaal posted:

I was responding to someone asking if the Republic actually wanted Northern Ireland to join it. Turns out they do! Fascinating to see Northern Ireland compared to Kashmir though. Kind of elicits comment, doesn't it?

I would gently note that 'the people of the Republic' and 'the government of the Republic' are not the same and I was thinking of the latter - reunifying Ireland is likely to be highly expensive and also now the Republic has a ton of angry Orangemen to deal with. I suspect Ms Adequate is right and they wouldn't have much choice, though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Wait where are you you can't get Old El Paso brand?

In one of the health food shops they're £3.50 a can. Waitrose has another brand for some extortionate price over £2 per small can but i don't love them enough to pay that.
I live in the styx. We have no 'ethnic' shops, my nearest one is 25 miles away and an over 1 hour bus ride to get there on a bus that only runs 4x a day on a good year.

wooger posted:

They’re really easy to make from a can of (not baked) beans - guess the method.

Smash 'em up and fry 'em. That, however, would require using my cooker which was put in brand new by the previous owners and has never been used and I've lived here over a year now. As my mother says, my ovens are always 'the cleanest in christendom'. I'm contemplating selling it as I could do with the space. I've bought a pointy dish to let me do pizzas in the microwave so they aren't completely soggy.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 26, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pudding, like pie, refers to the form, not the recipe - it basically means "big lump of stuff". So black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, and treacle pudding are all as valid a use of the word as steak and kidney pie and apple pie are of the word "pie" to mean "stuff in pastry".
You can't post this without an accompanying pudding structure / function : radical / purist alignment table. :colbert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just read this article on how Britain dealt with Spanish Flu 1918/19.
Some things never change!

https://www.historyextra.com/period/first-world-war/spanish-flu-britain-how-many-died-quarantine-corona-virus-deaths-pandemic/

quote:

The port of Glasgow was the first place to record the flu, in May 1918, an unusual time of year for the sickness to appear. Young women, especially those working in factories, were worst affected. It reached London in June. By late August it seemed a spent force; but in October it returned with a vengeance, and reached every corner of the land.

The speed at which influenza struck defied efforts to deal with it. In July, a woman in Leicester stopped a doctor in the street, and while they were talking she collapsed and died. The brother of William Hall from Rosley, Cumbria, recorded in his diary: “We did not know he ailed anything until the morning of the day he died.”

Local authorities and the press did offer some useful advice. The Bexhill-on-Sea Observer advised readers to avoid crowds by catching a later train home, sitting outside the bus, and wearing an extra coat. In Brighton, publicans were urged to thoroughly wash the outside lips of drinking glasses in running water, while a pamphlet recommended people to “give up shaking hands for the present, and give up kissing for all time”.

In Keswick, Cumbria, the Medical Officer arranged for a free supply of “disinfectant mixture”. Every morning, formalin was sprinkled on the floor of Brighton’s public library and post office, and tramcars were fumigated in Doncaster.

The focus – if there was one – lay in minimising the risk of infection through contact. Hundreds of elementary schools were closed during the height of the epidemic. Cheltenham Boys’ School took the reverse step of locking staff and pupils inside the building. Election candidates in Sunderland abandoned house-to-house canvassing, and turned down requests to take voters to the polls.

Many key ways in which the disease was spread were not addressed. Schools in London only closed if staff absenteeism made it impossible to keep them open. Secondary schools remained open throughout, as did churches, on the grounds that during a crisis people should turn to religion, not be excluded from it.

Public parades and pageants were also allowed to go ahead. Armistice celebrations on 11 November meant tens of thousands taking to the streets.

Therefore, the British response was a decentralised and uncoordinated one. Every town had to rely on its own resources and existing facilities to cope with the outbreak. The result was the proverbial “much talk, but very little do”.

The Manchester Guardian scorned protective measures: “Women are not going to wear ugly masks.” What’s more, masks would steam up people’s glasses, and be of “doubtful usefulness at mealtimes”. The Sussex Daily News joked that influenza was no more than “an ingenious attempt” to sabotage the forthcoming general election, while Hanningtons department store in Brighton declared that the best way of treating influenza was spending money at their sale.

Other countries, no less affected by the war, made more rigorous efforts than Britain to deal with the flu.

Australia succeeded for a while in imposing a national quarantine. Passengers had to stay in isolation before being allowed to enter the country.

Fifteen years earlier, the priorities of war, determination to play down the seriousness of the illness, and limited medical knowledge resulted in a state of inertia, and allowed Punch to quip that those citizens who “insisted on having influenza”, did so “at their own risk”.

The article originally dates from January 2018.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Some really weird poo poo about drones (the sort that do remote bombing)

Contained within:

quote:

Drones are “genderqueer bodies”
this is not a quote from the paper author but a quote from another reference work.

quote:

Abstract

Killing with drones produces queer moments of disorientation. Drawing on queer phenomenology, I
show how militarized masculinities function as spatiotemporal landmarks that give killing in war its
“orientation” and make it morally intelligible. These bearings no longer make sense for drone warfare,
which radically deviates from two of its main axes: the home–combat and distance–intimacy binaries.
Through a narrative methodology, I show how descriptions of drone warfare are rife with symptoms of
an unresolved disorientation, often expressed as gender anxiety over the failure of the
distance–intimacy and home–combat axes to orient killing with drones. The resulting vertigo sparks a
frenzy of reorientation attempts, but disorientation can lead in multiple and sometimes surprising
directions – including, but not exclusively, more violent ones. With drones, the point is that none have
yet been reliably secured, and I conclude by arguing that, in the midst of this confusion, it is important
not to lose sight of the possibility of new paths, and the “hope of new directions.”
Keywords: drones, militarized masculinities, queer phenomenology, robotic war, narrative

Drones are “genderqueer bodies” (Sjoberg 2014 Sjoberg, L. 2014.
Gender, War, and Conflict. Malden, MA: Polity Press. [Google Scholar], 91), human–machine
assemblages that do not track onto male–female, human–machine binaries. Besides the illegibility of

drone assemblages, drones also disorient by pointing attention in unfamiliar directions, making contact
possible between strange objects and bodies (the operator screen, the air-conditioned box of combat,
the figures spied through drone cameras, assassination).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ex8g7N9UmXIY7K3D6Mu-0gM48o93VIdY/view

quote:

Notes on Contributor

Cara Daggett is completing her PhD in political science at Johns Hopkins University, where her current
research investigates the ethical legacies of energy physics and poses alternatives inspired by feminist
and post-work politics. She specializes in environmental politics as well as feminist approaches to
science and technology.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/Alec_Eiffel85/status/1353792033052307457

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
heh

well, that'll be the bright side to my day. can't complain

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CoolCab posted:

bestial

comes at you steaming - seemingly designed by some profoundly sick mind to be as unappealing as possible on as many fronts as is practically possible. mushy peas, my god.

I want to try mushy peas, but I don't live in the UK so what kind of pea is best to start from? Canned green peas? Dried green peas? Frozen peas?

Most dried peas here are for making pea soup (yellow or green) or garden peas for eating whole in sallads and stuff. I am not sure if it's the same kind of pea, from what I understand, garden peas are marrowfat peas that have been left to dry in the field.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

CoolCab posted:

Preach it, brother. Even the English can be set on the right path, though possibly not without great suffering.

I have consumed no more than half a teaspoonful of mushy peas in my whole life. Baked beans are harder to avoid; I have eaten perhaps a tablespoonful or so. These dreadful incidents are seared into my memory.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

wooger posted:

people born in NI are Irish citizens lol

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some really weird poo poo about drones (the sort that do remote bombing)

Contained within:
this is not a quote from the paper author but a quote from another reference work.

Drones are “genderqueer bodies” (Sjoberg 2014 Sjoberg, L. 2014.
Gender, War, and Conflict. Malden, MA: Polity Press. [Google Scholar], 91), human–machine
assemblages that do not track onto male–female, human–machine binaries. Besides the illegibility of

drone assemblages, drones also disorient by pointing attention in unfamiliar directions, making contact
possible between strange objects and bodies (the operator screen, the air-conditioned box of combat,
the figures spied through drone cameras, assassination).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ex8g7N9UmXIY7K3D6Mu-0gM48o93VIdY/view

That seems a pretty good take on how drone warfare results in exciting new forms of psychological stress, but hammering into queer theory is a bizarre approach to me. I also have no idea what new directions we're supposed to be hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Drones are “genderqueer bodies”
You finally really did it, you maniacs! You finally identified as an attack helicopter! Ah, drat you!