Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

holy moly thank u everybody, I loved RDR1, it was p much the only reason i had a ps3, so I suspect I should try this one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

super metroid was probably the first big complicated game i ever finished, i think i had either a prima games or nintendo power book with all the hidden bits in it

man it must be a pisser to print those now knowing itll be worthless in 6 months when they patch everything and there are hundreds of websites giving the info for free

my wife bought an animal crossing one and it was out of date in 3 months

Joey McChrist

nut posted:

holy moly thank u everybody, I loved RDR1, it was p much the only reason i had a ps3, so I suspect I should try this one out

if you loved RDR1 you're likely going to enjoy 2. i enjoyed the first one but the 2nd blew me away. understandably its not everyones cup of tea, but its genuinely one of the absolute best i've ever played.

e; i borrowed it from a friend to play through and gave it back over a year ago and i can't stop thinking about it. i think i need to get it myself lol

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 23, 2021

Finger Prince

I really like just wandering around exploring and hunting in RDR2 and tbh I don't even know what's going on in the main quest half the time and really only advance it out of a sense of obligation that I probably should at some point.

It's a lot like skyrim in that regard, where I've played the game for years (across 3 platforms) and I think I've only finished the main story like once.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 23, 2021

Warezd Quake
i havent played RDR2 but my understanding is that it's basically like a VG Western Vignette. Just this slice of Western life. The playable version of that super long "Wyatt Earp" bar on the cable channel menu that went on for longer than was displayed at one time.

(͡๏̯๏ ๏̯͡๏﴿

nut

The ending of RDR1 is maybe one of the only video game endings i remember, though nowadays i much prefer wandering around than doing any main quests so its sounds good, it's on the million hour download

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finger Prince posted:

I really like just wandering around exploring and hunting in RDR2 and tbh I don't even know what's going on in the main quest half the time and really only advance it out of a sense of obligation that I probably should at some point.

It's a lot like skyrim in that regard, where I've played the game for years (across 3 platforms) and I think I've only finished the main story like once.

Absolutely. I can remember hanging out by a pond waiting for some kind of animals in real time. Just hanging out to see if a certain one would show up. Not in a "gotta do this for the achievement" way but more of a "this is chill, gonna watch these birds a while" way.

Prof. Crocodile

I feel like RDR is the very best that Rockstar has to offer. It has the deep interactive open world with a storyline interwoven throughout that they have mastered, but without the farcical characters and cringy toilet humor that seems to creep up in all their other games.

But that is just my opinion, reflecting my own taste in games and storytelling, and I wouldn't be surprised if many people feel just the opposite.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

Absolutely. I can remember hanging out by a pond waiting for some kind of animals in real time. Just hanging out to see if a certain one would show up. Not in a "gotta do this for the achievement" way but more of a "this is chill, gonna watch these birds a while" way.

I was doing some :okpos:reflecting on Arthur's character a while back and the whole plot drive east (I'll try not to give any spoilers away) and I was at the point where the you're getting all embroiled in New Orleans and I was like, what the hell am I even doing out here? This isn't me at all. This isn't the life I crave. So I took the tough decision to abandon the camp and move back west to live off the land. Haven't been back to continue the story since.

Finger Prince

Pokémon Go is kinda fun and kinda a bit of a timesink, and kinda a bit much, but I don't know if my experience is really typical. I live downtown so there's like 2 million gyms and pokestops within a block of me so there's just way too much stuff to do. But I got a psyduck so it's all good.

BlueDekuNuts

I have recently started playing Yoshi's Island and man, it is a good game. You can tell they knew what they were doing with the engine by that point, plays so smooth. The art style is cute too but very different, I like it though. Might draw some fanart later, along with my tidepod yoshi oc.

Bobby Deluxe

pokemon go has been a fun game to play while walking my dog since launch, until you get to the point where you have over 2k storage and then the game announces its full mid event so you have to spend an entire afternoon sorting out your pokeymans

i have a friend in japan who sends me :coal: pictures of japanese stops and i send her pictures of english stuff

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
re: souls chat (even though it was several pages ago X3 ), I love those games but I understand why people bounce off of them

manero

Unrailed is a very chill multiplayer co-op game where you mine resources and build train tracks to get a train to its destination!

It's also extra chill if u play on Difficulty: Kids

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016920/Unrailed/

manero fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 25, 2021

Jolo

As I get older I care less about playing games on Normal. Some games feel like harder = enemies take less damage while you take more and bumping down to easy just makes the game feel better.

The newer Wolfenstein 2 felt way too hard on normal for me and I bumped it down by the end and had a better time.

Bobby Deluxe

my gaming life improved immeasurably when i stopped trying to get trophies / achievements

more falafel please

forums poster

Jolo posted:

As I get older I care less about playing games on Normal. Some games feel like harder = enemies take less damage while you take more and bumping down to easy just makes the game feel better.

The newer Wolfenstein 2 felt way too hard on normal for me and I bumped it down by the end and had a better time.

yup. ezmode for life

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my gaming life improved immeasurably when i stopped trying to get trophies / achievements

yup. there's a really good GDC talk by Chris Hecker about achievements and the Pizza Hut Book-It program

I can't tell if this video just doesn't work on mobile or if you need gdc vault access but https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012290/Achievements-Considered-Harmful

and his notes/slides/mp3 of the talk https://chrishecker.com/Achievements_Considered_Harmful%3F

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

BlueDekuNuts

Jolo posted:

People love to hate on casual gamers but man, sometimes I just wanna vibe and enjoy the game without gritting my teeth in anger

nut

Jolo posted:

I played the sinking city with combat on easy and I have no clue how anyone would enjoy it more with any higher leave or difficulty

itry

nut posted:

I played the sinking city with combat on easy and I have no clue how anyone would enjoy it more with any higher leave or difficulty

Sometimes higher difficulties do more than just change enemy health numbers. In cRPG's the AI usually gets more tools to work with, in RE3 enemy type and placement change. It can be interesting.

Edit: and of course there are sim games that add/remove mechanics.

Jolo

That's true, some games become more interesting on other difficulties. I really liked the hardest difficulty on RE7 because it changed item placement and other things.

I thought of playing RE3 Remake on that hardest difficulty but that final boss fight looked like a pain in the butt. If I remember correctly it required a bunch of perfectly timed dodges and any mistimes would be deaths.

itry

Yeah the last boss was rear end. They probably wanted players to use a bunch of coins to beat it.

Bobby Deluxe

BlueDekuNuts posted:

People love to hate on casual gamers but man, sometimes I just wanna vibe and enjoy the game without gritting my teeth in anger
especially since most games just get lazy and scale enemy health / your damage so you end up plinking away at a bullet sponge with a nerf gun

was it gears that made hard mode so everything did more damage - so enemies would kill you quicker, but also you kill them quicker? that was a cool way of doing it. the game felt faster and more brutal on higher difficulties but if you were good at it and played aggressively it felt really satisfying

its one of the reasons destiny 2 makes me sad, it hides all the good guns and cool setpieces in the raids and i am not good enough to raid. i dont mean my gear isnt good enough, i just mean i gently caress up and die a lot, which means everyone dies because nobody is rotating the magic bean into the special pot or whatever

vault of glass was good, i liked that one. the boss fight at the end of the forsaken story mode was also cool and complicated enough to feel like how i imagine raiding should feel

nut

itry posted:

Sometimes higher difficulties do more than just change enemy health numbers. In cRPG's the AI usually gets more tools to work with, in RE3 enemy type and placement change. It can be interesting.

Edit: and of course there are sim games that add/remove mechanics.

admittedly i never tried a harder difficulty but the description of higher difficulties makes it sound like a bullet spongey thing. There's not a lot of variety in enemies and they are all relatively brainless eldritch horrors so i can't image there's any depth. It would certainly make the game force you into austerity since crafting materials and ammo are quite scarce but, as much fun as the game is, I stopped doing side missions by the end because of how samey everything was. That's why I couldn't imagine enjoying a further protraction of that kind of monotony.

Jolo

One thing I really like about RE3 Remake especially is that you unlock silly guns and more inventory space and the game is totally fine with letting you use them on harder difficulties.

It was also cool to see unlocks like that in a modern game where more and more stuff is becoming optional purchases.

BlueDekuNuts

Bobby Deluxe posted:

especially since most games just get lazy and scale enemy health / your damage so you end up plinking away at a bullet sponge with a nerf gun

was it gears that made hard mode so everything did more damage - so enemies would kill you quicker, but also you kill them quicker? that was a cool way of doing it. the game felt faster and more brutal on higher difficulties but if you were good at it and played aggressively it felt really satisfying

its one of the reasons destiny 2 makes me sad, it hides all the good guns and cool setpieces in the raids and i am not good enough to raid. i dont mean my gear isnt good enough, i just mean i gently caress up and die a lot, which means everyone dies because nobody is rotating the magic bean into the special pot or whatever

vault of glass was good, i liked that one. the boss fight at the end of the forsaken story mode was also cool and complicated enough to feel like how i imagine raiding should feel

Yeah I can understand when they don't have enough time to add mechanics that actually make the game difficulties interesting and worth playing but nowadays it seems like its just a large oversight by many developers. Oblivion is probably the only thing I give a pass on as far as just scaling health and damage for difficulty, because it felt like taking the fun extremes of those two and let you play around. It's just too much fun hitting every character and they go rag-dolling into the sky.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i want to buyve a playstation five

Finger Prince

Is there anything you can do with all your low CP pokemans other than just keep them in your hareem?

Rockman Reserve

feed them to your bigger ones to evolve them

pokemon go is a horror show of cannibalism

itry

nut posted:

admittedly i never tried a harder difficulty but the description of higher difficulties makes it sound like a bullet spongey thing. There's not a lot of variety in enemies and they are all relatively brainless eldritch horrors so i can't image there's any depth. It would certainly make the game force you into austerity since crafting materials and ammo are quite scarce but, as much fun as the game is, I stopped doing side missions by the end because of how samey everything was. That's why I couldn't imagine enjoying a further protraction of that kind of monotony.

Sadly a lot of games can't make harder difficulties interesting :(

Rockman Reserve posted:

Finger Prince

Rockman Reserve posted:

yeah I mean if I got more than 2 of a guy I send the extras off to Professor Willow's Candy Factory. But like I've got a bunch of low CP one-offs and some I can't evolve further but aren't good enough to battle with so they just sorta sit there. I guess until I capture a more powerful one to replace it?

Bobby Deluxe

Finger Prince posted:

Is there anything you can do with all your low CP pokemans other than just keep them in your hareem?
anything that only needs 12 candies to evolve (pidgey, weedle, catwrpie, wurmple, pidove) is good because they are cheap to evolve and with a lucky egg or an xp boost that helps you level up pretty fast between raids

otherwise send them to a farm upstate for candies to feed to your high level mons

you can consider yourself truly brainwrong once you download an iv calculator

or track your purchases over the last 3 years to find you spent more on pokemon storage than you have on some full price games

Bobby Deluxe

food $200
data $150
rent $800
pokemon storage $3,600
utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Rockman Reserve

Rockman Reserve posted:

i want to buyve a playstation five

srsly someone wake me up when they're restocked somewhere i'ma take a nap k

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

anything that only needs 12 candies to evolve (pidgey, weedle, catwrpie, wurmple, pidove) is good because they are cheap to evolve and with a lucky egg or an xp boost that helps you level up pretty fast between raids

otherwise send them to a farm upstate for candies to feed to your high level mons

you can consider yourself truly brainwrong once you download an iv calculator

or track your purchases over the last 3 years to find you spent more on pokemon storage than you have on some full price games

I'm aiming to not spend any money on this game and see how far I can get. I've played for 5 days and got to level 20 so far. It isn't pokeman storage I'm running out of, it's item storage. I should have enough coins from gym defense by tomorrow or the next day that I can get a backpack upgrade though. I played out in the burbs on my lunch break today and also once elsewhere in the city and I get the impression I'm pretty spoiled where I live because I can hit 2-4 pokespots and 2 gyms from my couch, and there's like a 3 more gyms and ~20 pokestops within block of me. Out by work is like a desert.

Bobby Deluxe

if you want to level up too fast sign up to the friends list on the pokemon go subreddit and send gifts to strangers

Bobby Deluxe

why no sherrif i do not have a problem, i believe it is you that has a problem

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah keep anything you can evolve, especially the ones that are only 12 to evolve. once you get like 50-60 you can evolve, pop a lucky egg and spend 30 minutes just evolving pokemans. if you can time it, do it when you hit your 7 day streaks so you get the double xp for that too. same with research rewards if you can stack them up. I use the tagging system to mark what I want to evolve

there's no way around that you need to upgrade storage for pokemans and items, but if you've got gyms close by you should be able to get a decent amount of coins. I haven't paid for anything, I played for probably about a year when it came out, stopped caring, and then got back into it in covid times. I'm almost level 33, the leveling is slow as hell.

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Prof. Crocodile

Bobby Deluxe posted:

why no sherrif i do not have a problem, i believe it is you that has a problem

Missing only the 5 legendary 'Fleetwood Mac' pokey mans, I would wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle

A kind little mouse!

Jinh posted:

I've been trying a lot of genres of games outside of my comfort zone of FPS and RPG pc games.

Started with bullet hell shooters. Touhou, holy cow Touhou was a real rabbit hole. There's so dang much of it, and it's pretty much all good and wholesome, especially the music. I totally understand why it's so popular now. My favorite games are Touhou 8: Imperishable Night, and the 13.5 fighting game, Hisoutensoku (often called Soku for short.) Reisen is the best character in the series and I love her.

Picked up Dragonball Fighterz last night for cheap on steam and I'm gonna have a friend kick my butt in it a whole lot tonight. I haven't played a regular fighting game since King of Fighters 98 in the PSX days.

Finally, decided to try tower defense. I knew they were fun from the ones I played on Newgrounds back in the day, but they don't hold my interest for long usually. Bloons TD 6, a game about balloon-popping monkeys, ate 2 days of my life and I only scratched the surface. Very fun and lots of variety in strategy and level design there.

i love td games. bloons is like the shining crown jewel of pure td. my favorite td series is dungeon defenders. its a td + rpg mix with diabloish loot