Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who released the C&C remaster? Gonna laugh so hard if EA's doing this poo poo better than blizz at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who released the C&C remaster? Gonna laugh so hard if EA's doing this poo poo better than blizz at this point.

Petroglyph, run by former Westwood Studios employees and the guys who did Empire at War, Universe at War, Grey Goo... So good people who know their RTS.

And Lemon Sky did the assets. Same people who did WC3:R, but this time with actual direction and agency.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Remasters are guaranteed money printers. It's easy to justify doing it right and getting a free 10x+ return on it and good pr. And, it also prints future money if they choose to do another game with the ip. It's not surprising to me that EA paid a few diehard oldschool C&C guys to do the C&C remaster correctly. It's also no surprise they used the same outsource studio everyone is using for art. It's the path of least resistance and guaranteed good outcomes provided they commit to a reasonable scope. It's pretty much how the AoE1/AoE2 remasters were done, and aoe2 at least has consistently set the remaster bar for the genre.

WC3R is baffling from every possible angle. Someone with a lot of pull somehow got the hyper expensive, massive scope approved. And somehow the management of the project caused failures in almost every possible domain. Including really easy things for even a random person off the street to do in a day like "tell the community we're reducing the scope and not providing the cinematics/etc we promised". Instead, they somehow advertised this non-existent feature even post-release. I mean it shipped and it works now despite having fewer features than the game pre-remaster. It probably made more money than it cost to make, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 20, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The SC and Age remasters had almost completely opposite philosophies when it came down to what to upgrade and I'd say they're both great and well worth a buy yet wcr couldn't follow either example and stick the landing and it's very funny and also very sad

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I'm overdue for my once every 5 years "hey, I should replay WC3 and Frozen Throne campaigns" nostalgia run.

The saddest part is that I had been planning to build a new computer since the very beginning of WC3 Reforged. I wasn't doing it just to play the remaster, but it seemed like a nice perk that this time, I could do it in HD on ultra everything settings.

Finally piecing together my new PC this month, and I guess I'm just gonna :filez: an old patch version of the game to get my fix.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I WC3's twitter hasn't updated since April 2020.

I am having a hard time telling which is the bigger dumpster fire, WC3 Reforged or Diablo Immortal. They were both flaming bags of turds dropped at the doorstep of Blizzard fans, and then both were unceremoniously swept under the rug in the hopes people would forget it ever happened.

I guess Reforged it worse, since it actively prevents me from playing a game I legally purchased and registered with Blizzard 15 years ago.

Lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can play your normal WC3 I think. You just can’t do most online things you’d want to do, and you can’t do custom campaigns. The install is also huge for dumb reasons?

Idk I didn’t buy reforged and the news about it kinda killed WC3 for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m taking it reforged is still poo poo? Is it still the worse option if I just wanna play the campaigns?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m taking it reforged is still poo poo?

yes

chaosapiant posted:

Is it still the worse option if I just wanna play the campaigns?

a few missions are way cooler, more than a few missions are way worse, and there are several story/dialogue changes that are very strange and kinda pointless

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, the only change I didn't actually enjoy was them snipping any instance of "Grom" or "Furion" out of the dialogue in the Reign of Chaos campaigns, and some of the instances are spliced really badly. If you have reforged, I'd say it's definitely worth going through the campaigns in it at least once, but absolutely :filez: yourself an older version so you can play custom campaigns and poo poo. I wouldn't recommend buying it if you don't already have it.

Even some of the less popular changed-levels I honestly still enjoyed because of the novelty of experiencing the changed levels, since I am a massive lore nerd.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

As someone who's done level design for several years, many of the Reforged campaign maps are absolutely dire in their lack of quality. For example, anything to do with Dalaran has a good chance of having huge blank plateaus on the edges of the map - and often where the player can easily view them with flying units. There's also the final mission of RoC having its difficulty obliterated because of lovely scripting, which is not great if you cared about the challenge of the original.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Congratulations blizzard you set the new gold standard for what not to do in game design in general and remasters in particular

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

There's also the final mission of RoC having its difficulty obliterated because of lovely scripting, which is not great if you cared about the challenge of the original.

How is that different to before reforged?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

How is that different to before reforged?

Hero units don't show up, attack waves are weaker, Archimonde is Level 1 with no abilities and an empty inventory. It may have been fixed, but I don't care enough to check.

Edit: misunderstood your post. It was actually kinda hard originally! :(

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Felt the urge to pay wc3 again. Last playthrough was about five years ago.

Wtf has blizzard done to my game. How do you mess this up this bad? This game barely even needed any work to run on a modern pc

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Buck Turgidson posted:

Felt the urge to pay wc3 again. Last playthrough was about five years ago.

Wtf has blizzard done to my game. How do you mess this up this bad? This game barely even needed any work to run on a modern pc

The game worked just fine on computers made the year it was released and immediately after Reforged, a specifically-gaming laptop could not run it without problems.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Do you think there's any chance in hell they could just flip a switch and revert the netcode and everything back to pre-reforged....oh who am I kidding, they prob trash the previous version of their games.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SirDrone posted:

Do you think there's any chance in hell they could just flip a switch and revert the netcode and everything back to pre-reforged....oh who am I kidding, they prob trash the previous version of their games.

And admit defeat?!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

And admit defeat?!

It was never about producing a product, it was about loving over everyone who already bought the game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

It was never about producing a product, it was about loving over everyone who already bought the game.

But that usually means making a product that makes the game work again, which WC:R doesn't. They're just breaking an old game out of spite, and of course it had to be one of their games I care deeply about. :(

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

They're just breaking an old game out of spite

YEAH, I KNOW!!
I'm pissed at Activision-Blizzard, not you

loving god, WC3 was a perfect loving game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

YEAH, I KNOW!!
I'm pissed at Activision-Blizzard, not you

loving god, WC3 was a perfect loving game.

I didn't think you were! I'm just as outraged, and have to be reminded on a daily basis.

I played a -lot- of custom maps. Wanna see my Legion TD trophy?? :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The one consolation we have is that, while online is trashed forever, you *can* still :filez: an older version of the game to still be able to access stuff like Custom Campaigns, for which there is *STILL* no support in Reforged.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Kith posted:

Hero units don't show up, attack waves are weaker, Archimonde is Level 1 with no abilities and an empty inventory. It may have been fixed, but I don't care enough to check.

Edit: misunderstood your post. It was actually kinda hard originally! :(

Oh, I thought you were talking about how easy it is to abuse the scripting and make it send no waves at all. They ran the ne campaign at agdq this year and it was really funny watching them call time with a ton of time left on the in game countdown.

I always used hippo archers instead of mines back in the day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thinking about goblin land mines in general makes me laugh so hard

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

I played a -lot- of custom maps. Wanna see my Legion TD trophy?? :v:

Aww, that's okay, friend. :shobon:

I too enjoyed custom maps when they were run. Battleships owned bones, same with Dark Deeds, Island Troll Tribes was neat but goddamn impossible to get a full house for.

Angel Arena et al was always fun for the first three minutes until someone found the "instant win" character or lucked into gambling an imba item.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Aww, that's okay, friend. :shobon:

I too enjoyed custom maps when they were run. Battleships owned bones, same with Dark Deeds, Island Troll Tribes was neat but goddamn impossible to get a full house for.

Angel Arena et al was always fun for the first three minutes until someone found the "instant win" character or lucked into gambling an imba item.

Agility heroes with bash were bullshit and made it clear the primary stat system wasn't designed for big numbers even more clearly than usual.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FoolyCharged posted:

Agility heroes with bash were bullshit and made it clear the primary stat system wasn't designed for big numbers even more clearly than usual.

Ha, that's right, I forgot about those, it's been so long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is incredible Blizzard decided to gently caress over one of the last good games they made.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Thinking about goblin land mines in general makes me laugh so hard

Goblin Land Mines were before my time, I only ever encountered them in custom maps. I'm guessing they were utterly broken in ladder?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The meta was creep camps that could drop them and rush to the enemies main with them in hand. Sometimes the enemy would do the same to you! making for some very interesting games where you both lose your mine and most/all of your workers.

Truth be told, I think it was a mistake to remove them entirely rather than rework them. You could easily halve or quarter their damage and put them on a long timer and make it so they don't murder buildings and units. The weirder the items the more fun and honestly novel the play but that's just me.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I need to remember to buy sappers more often. So satisfying to pop a bunch of moonwells like grapes while the enemy is occupied somewhere else

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

obviously the OP has never played 5.84b dota. noob

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I need to remember to buy sappers more often. So satisfying to pop a bunch of moonwells like grapes while the enemy is occupied somewhere else

I used to get a zeppelin with sappers and poke around the enemy base edge to find the most vital thing I could backdoor without getting attacked. Oh look the altar of heroes is reviving something! NOT ANYMORE

FOR ALL MY HOMIES

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

When could you put them in zepps?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, can't you still, they just cost 2 space because siege?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
No you can't load sappers into zeps and you can't invis them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I don't think Sappers have ever been able to go in transports and I got WC3 on release or very close to it. Maybe in the beta? I forget if there was one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Get a tiny great hall from your orc ally, place it while you engage, TP an off-screen army of sappers in, have fun!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

Get a tiny great hall from your orc ally, place it while you engage, TP an off-screen army of sappers in, have fun!

Omfg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This reminds me of the troll account on gamefaqs that massed lumbermills