Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Heath posted:

I can't watch his videos because he zooms the camera in too much on his face and has that very animated and emotive way of speaking

Mitch I can't watch anymore because he releases 24 videos a day whenever a new card is spoiled and fills the time by going "Basically it's essentially a basically card that essentially does basically what could essentially be called basically a sort of essentially a Mana rock." Like not every card needs commentary

Abso-loving-lutely. Mitch's deck techs are (or, were) cool for budget/tuned EDH, but he was never a great speaker. He's monotone as hell, and peppers his speech pattern with barnacle words so much it hurts. So when he's droning on about some spoiled card that everybody and their mom just saw at the same time he did, it's pointless at best. I stopped following him of YT when he starting churning out these fluff pieces literally every day.

Mitch: you're a good brewer. Just take a speech class and go easy on the non- deck tech poo poo. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also he tried to coup the format and make himself god king and that’s very funny because all it did was give mtg Nazis a new treehouse to hang in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You know what splinter format is cool and good and still active and didn't get co-opted by Nazis? Conquest

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

Why do you think influencers deserve to be on the CAG? That’s what I don’t get.

Well, they need to be community members, but in order for them to get on the RC's radar they would either need to be friends of theirs or mildly famous. You can't pull a Mellisa DeTora here where a pro player starts making the game; There's no pro EDH scene, at least not in that same way.

Toshimo posted:

You know what splinter format is cool and good and still active and didn't get co-opted by Nazis? Conquest

The reserved list is not a banned list. This looks like a pile of every complaint everyone's ever had about EDH in a huge pile regardless of how it actually jives. The only missing complaint is making poison damage 15. Also, the Mirage Block tutors are all banned except Enlightened Tutor? Planeswalkers as commanders always interacts badly. Holy poo poo this list for babby banned mean old Drannith Magistrate? How could I possibly kill a loving 1/3?

But fetches are banned so: best format, 10/10.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

Also he tried to coup the format and make himself god king and that’s very funny because all it did was give mtg Nazis a new treehouse to hang in.

It's not all it accomplished, it also got his Commander Legends spoiler card taken away.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

Well, they need to be community members, but in order for them to get on the RC's radar they would either need to be friends of theirs or mildly famous. You can't pull a Mellisa DeTora here where a pro player starts making the game; There's no pro EDH scene, at least not in that same way.

The reserved list is not a banned list. This looks like a pile of every complaint everyone's ever had about EDH in a huge pile regardless of how it actually jives. The only missing complaint is making poison damage 15. Also, the Mirage Block tutors are all banned except Enlightened Tutor? Planeswalkers as commanders always interacts badly. Holy poo poo this list for babby banned mean old Drannith Magistrate? How could I possibly kill a loving 1/3?

But fetches are banned so: best format, 10/10.

Enlightened tutor isn't banned because white is the weakest color, so Green and Blue get their tutors at sorcery speed and white gets theirs at instant. It turns out, it works pretty well. Check out some of the published content to see it in action.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not all it accomplished, it also got his Commander Legends spoiler card taken away.

If true this is very funny. +1 for I liked the old Mitch, not the video every day Mitch

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The people they added to the CAG are community members. They are extremely outspoken and prolific community members. People with loud, whiny, and toxic fambases are the absolute last thing the CAG and the RC needs.

There is a difference between someone who participates in and fosters community (Josh Lee Kwai) and someone who creates a community around themself (Mitch). As a social format I think people who are more cognizant of the social aspects will probably lead to a healthier banlist.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grevlek posted:

If true this is very funny. +1 for I liked the old Mitch, not the video every day Mitch

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Why the actual gently caress did Conquest ban Haldan of all cards? I can understand the logic of the other banned commanders (Najeela, Thrasios, and Tymna are all really strong, Leovold is oppressive in the dumbest ways, and Oko and Kinna are Simic cards that came out in the last two years), but this one just utterly baffles me. Are Haldan and his dog secretly tearing up cEDH? Or is this just a case of "I lost to this deck once so I am going to ensure I can never lose to it again"?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

serefin99 posted:

Why the actual gently caress did Conquest ban Haldan of all cards? I can understand the logic of the other banned commanders (Najeela, Thrasios, and Tymna are all really strong, Leovold is oppressive in the dumbest ways, and Oko and Kinna are Simic cards that came out in the last two years), but this one just utterly baffles me. Are Haldan and his dog secretly tearing up cEDH? Or is this just a case of "I lost to this deck once so I am going to ensure I can never lose to it again"?

Haldan, Avid Arcanist is banned as Commander

In effect, this is meant as a ban of the Pako & Haldan deck. This deck could easily get away with dedicating all of its slots to ramp, interaction, and extra turn effects. Pako turns into a lethal threat very quickly and continues to grow as the game goes on, which further accelerates its clock. That quick growth, coupled with the high amount of card advantage gained through Pako and access to counterspells, made it so the deck was very difficult to interact with while also being very quick to bury its opponents in card advantage and defeating them shortly thereafter. Pako was able to consistently out-pace most other decks in the format, so it had to go.
The way we decided to go about this was to ban Haldan, Avid Arcanist as Commander. We liked the idea of giving people access to Gruul Pako as a commander damage deck. This deck will still be able to deploy an early Pako and threaten quick kills with a growing commander, but it won’t be able to generate card advantage through Pako, it will be significantly worse at protecting itself, and it will have to find ways outside of extra turns to gain additional combat steps.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Please be aware that the metagame of Conquest is significantly different than what you would be accustomed to in EDH, or even CEDH.

With 12 Commander damage being lethal, something like Pako that comes out with haste as a 6/6, is effectively 2 swings to KO, with nothing else on the board. Hogaak was the big drat political threat on the board at one of the stream games this weekend, because any single +4 power buff made him lethal and he's super easy to recur.

Also, with 30 life, even regular damage adds up fast. The games feel much faster paced (even if they tend to go more turns due to less fast Mana and less efficient landbases), and aggro firmly has a place in the format. I recommend checking out some of the streamed games on Twitch from the past few weeks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like Conquest has reached a point where if you’ve made up enough new rules that you’re banning fun and silly commanders you’ve perhaps over corrected, but also Conquest never held any appeal for me. It just sort of supports my theory that if left to their own devices the rules and regulations and additional bans would begin to spiral and that appears to be precisely what is happening here. Hogaak and Haldan getting banned for being big creatures in the command zone is just solving a problem you created in the first place by changing commander damage.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Also yes, Palo/Haldan is a strong deck in cEDH. But also yes, conquest is a different format so that doesn't necessarily matter.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
EDH and cEDH are the same format played with different mindsets. Conquest and cEDH are different formats played with the same mindset.

I've never played conquest because I can't find anyone interested, but that's how I see it from the outside at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It took us maybe 3 games of Pako/Haldan before we realized how fuckin’ scary Clifford can get. It gets so big so quickly, and the draw engine is INSANE.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

It took us maybe 3 games of Pako/Haldan before we realized how fuckin’ scary Clifford can get. It gets so big so quickly, and the draw engine is INSANE.

Yep. I saw this even just playing an all-precon game when the set came out. I was running the Temur deck and didn't start rolling until I got Pako and Hadlan into play.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nazis? what the gently caress are you guys talking about?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

hey mom its 420 posted:

Unmoderated places on the internet, especially in gamer circles, inevitably get flooded with 4chan mouthbreathers. Mitch set up a place for his EDH antipope format and had no mods.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Railing Kill posted:

Unmoderated places on the internet, especially in gamer circles, inevitably get flooded with 4chan mouthbreathers. Mitch set up a place for his EDH antipope format and had no mods.

Yeah, Mitch kinda hosed up there. I don't think it was a ~power grab~ or whatever because, well...he made a Discord with zero moderation. It was just frustration with Secret Lair bullshit and trying to get some sort of protest movement going, it was just not very well thought-out. Also he forgot that there's nothing nerds hate more than actual confrontation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

Hogaak and Haldan getting banned for being big creatures in the command zone is just solving a problem you created in the first place by changing commander damage.

FWIW, Hogaak is not banned, he is a cool and fun deck.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

hey mom its 420 posted:

specifically it was a bunch of people mad about the banning of Invoke Prejudice and a few related cards (unplayable effects, uncomfortably racist implications) that took over the Captain discord

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it very specifically was a power grab, because he specifically went out of his way to wrest control of the community away from the format we all play into a “new” format where he just so happened to be the leader of the community.

If he really, in his heart, wasn’t trying to make himself the “Captain” of captain, he still went out of his way to paint the RC as amoral and bad people, people who had invited him on their own programs and given his own platform a boost. Mitch loving sucks. There is so much good commander content these days, don’t support such a Drama Queen, IMO.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I still can't believe he was serious about Captain, that announcement video was perfect satire

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He really was like the commander content creator version of Anakin Skywalker

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, I mean, they're not amoral and bad but they sure as hell aren't gonna do anything that makes WotC dissatisfied going by TWD. "Wrest control" is also dumb considering people were defending the Rules Commitee saying that Commander has Rule 0 for a reason and I mean, why the gently caress have a Commitee then, and even then why would you wrest control of something by...making an unmoderated Discord?

That whole debacle basically proved that there's no chance of an antipope arising anyway, so...guess rule 0 better do some heavy lifting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The ban list, that’s what everything boils down to. The RC makes the banlist and so that dictates the format. The rules have just been clerical housekeeping updates for the last 5 or so years since the tuck rules change. Rule 0 doesn’t work for anything but home/recurring LGS metas because you can’t bring your home rule deck to a new LGS and expect everyone to play by your house rules. Rule 0 is pretty obviously intended for personal playgroups and not to be a discussion that takes place every time strangers sit down to play. You need the banlist (and by extension people to curate the banlist) or else the format has no framework besides 100 card singleton.

I also simply do not understand why some people believe the RC should have a needlessly antagonistic relationship with WotC. It doesn’t make any sense and the people pushing them to “fight back” or whatever do not understand the nature of their relationship at all. (Scott, for example, is a high level wizards employee, lmao)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 26, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Railing Kill posted:

Mitch set up a place for his EDH antipope format and had no mods.

Dias posted:

That whole debacle basically proved that there's no chance of an antipope arising anyway, so...guess rule 0 better do some heavy lifting.

So I've been shitposting myself into an early grave for the last year, but please let me be entirely sincere here.

When I talked about EDH Antipope, it was simply to say that we needed a central authority but not any specific one. The RC are not more qualified, they are just the ones that actually did it. I was so loving excited when it was Mitch. I thought maybe Prof would do something, but such a popular up and coming channel who was a great brewer and had his head screwed on straight? What more could we want?

I truly, honestly believe it could have worked at that exact moment. The anger with Wizards and dissatisfaction with the RC was at an all time high. If he has just spent a little more time coming up with a plan, I bet lots of people would have jumped ship long enough to get a hold and they we would see. The Banlist might have found a different philosophy and then we'd see which game type was better or more popular. All he needed was a plan. Not even a good plan. ANY PLAN.

But he didn't have a plan, because apparently he hasn't been on the internet before? Not only did he open a discord that was going to get shared far and wide with no moderation but himself, he went AWAY on the day right after setting it up and was loving incommunicado when it went to poo poo. That place was a madhouse and a few community members were trying to tell people to hang tight until he could get back, but it was such a colossal fuckup that the idea was instantly made into a laughingstock.

And that was it. That was our one chance. Any other splinter will be looked at and they'll say "Yeah, but this is just another Captain."

He was the chosen one. He was to be the one to destroy the RC, not make their appointment eternal.

In other words, "gently caress magic".

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Lmao at Anakin "Captain Mitch" Planeswalker balancing the force by making it so only the rules committee has any legitimate authority.

To rebut a point by Bent Rude, BR posits that the banlist is the only thing the rules committee does, and I disagree. I'd argue that removing the "wishboard" goes above a ban, it attempts to remove a mechanic of the game. The tweet from sheldon posted the other day in the thread reinforces my viewpoint, re: Karn, these cards are not banned, only text related to bringing in other cards.

Im new to the format, I don't really play magic otherwise, and I don't care who is "in charge" but I do think they are more active than just setting bans. They potentially could do more, but they treat rule 0 as the tenth amendment, "anything we didn't explicitly lay out is deferred to the playgroups".

I would like the RC and the CAG to consist of more than attractive cosplayers, but apparently that's the best way to grow the format?

Edit - a fun rule 0 thing. Most people at my LGS draw 10 and pitch 3 for an opening hand with no option to mulligan. Does it result in better opening hands? Sure of course, but it also lets you play a "worse" deck and not necessarily care as much about getting hosed via Mana screw or something.

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 26, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Grevlek posted:

I would like the RC and the CAG to consist of more than attractive cosplayers, but apparently that's the best way to grow the format?

RC
Scott
Sheldon
Gavin
Toby

CAG
Josh
Rachel Agnes
Shivam
Charlotte
Olivia
Adam
Jim
Rachel Weeks
Greg
DeQuan

In bold are the 2/14 total members of the RC/CAG that are “attractive cosplayers” you wanna maybe try again? (Rachel Agnes was also a cEDH content producer and works for WotC)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Magnetic North posted:

I truly, honestly believe it could have worked at that exact moment. The anger with Wizards and dissatisfaction with the RC was at an all time high. If he has just spent a little more time coming up with a plan, I bet lots of people would have jumped ship long enough to get a hold and they we would see. The Banlist might have found a different philosophy and then we'd see which game type was better or more popular. All he needed was a plan. Not even a good plan. ANY PLAN.

If I've learned anything about Mitch in the last few months it's that he's consciously trying his god damnedest to fire off things as quickly as possible. It's not about doing things right, it's about being the guy who got there first. Need to hit the top of the MtG content algorithm, regardless of whether what you're producing is of any more quality than a reddit post except that you recorded it and put it on YouTube. He probably could have done something, but by trying to strike while the iron was hot he instead missed the iron entirely and slammed his face into it, and got burned.

I don't know anything about him personally, but what I tend to assume happened is that he probably made a significant career trajectory shift right around the time covid hit and is trying to make content creation into a full time job and is really only doing what the content-churning machine demands of him, but the difference in quality between his deck techs from a year ago and fuckin' anything he's done from last June or so is palpable.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

RC
Scott
Sheldon
Gavin
Toby

CAG
Josh
Rachel Agnes
Shivam
Charlotte
Olivia
Adam
Jim
Rachel Weeks
Greg
DeQuan

In bold are the 2/14 total members of the RC/CAG that are “attractive cosplayers” you wanna maybe try again? (Rachel Agnes was also a cEDH content producer and works for WotC)

daddy feldon has something to say about that <3

I appreciate you missing the important part of my argument ( that they do more to set rules than ban ) and focusing on my throw away line about the content creators in the CAG. I only included it so I could be a part of the grumpy goon club around here, and apparently I read the water wrong re:thirst traps on the internet. No disrespect was intended, I've noticed over the thread people butcher your username as a sign of affection, I will refrain from doing that going forward.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What in tarnation

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Grevlek posted:

To rebut a point by Bent Rude, BR posits that the banlist is the only thing the rules committee does, and I disagree. I'd argue that removing the "wishboard" goes above a ban, it attempts to remove a mechanic of the game. The tweet from sheldon posted the other day in the thread reinforces my viewpoint, re: Karn, these cards are not banned, only text related to bringing in other cards.

Im new to the format, I don't really play magic otherwise, and I don't care who is "in charge" but I do think they are more active than just setting bans. They potentially could do more, but they treat rule 0 as the tenth amendment, "anything we didn't explicitly lay out is deferred to the playgroups".
They weren't removing wishboards from EDH, wishboards have literally never worked, but they had to add a clarification to make that easier to explain to new players. Every rules change I can remember has been to just make the cards function more or less how you expect them to, except for your Commander, who has all their own special rules. The RC is very intentionally not messing with the successful commander formula.

One of the beautiful things about Commander is the absolutely glacial pace at which the format gracefully ages. I don't need or even want the RC to be actively fiddling with all the knobs on a format that is working great. Having an RC that wanted to more actively court different life totals, deck sizes, mulligan rules, etc. would do more to alinate existing players than it would ever do to entice people who already aren't interested in playing commander.

Like, you yourself wish they'd take a heavier, more active role, but then in the same post confess to your playgroup blatantly ignores the rules and just doing a weird DRAW 10 CARDS house rule. We have very clearly laid out rules for drawing your opening hand and mulliganning, this is something that shouldn't even need a "Rule 0" interaction, so the RC has literally no impact in this situation, whether or not a rule exists in the first place. How would being more "active" stop your friends from ignoring the rules as written?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Grevlek posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if I offended you I apologise if I did. I can see how the comment about influencers hawting their way up to the cag could be problematic.

Quoting my own post, I didn't say they should take a more or less active role, I said I thought their role was more than just the ban list. It was an observation of mine, and I appreciate your perspective on what they do. Even if it's as vague as interpreting existing rules as new mechanics come out or whatever, that's more than managing just a ban list to me.

I said that thing about the draws to show one of the many benefits of a less active RC. We have a table for people who get upset at drawing 10 cards and pitching 3, they call themselves the try hards, and it's a goof in good fun.

I want to play a game with white bordered cards and terrible Invasion commanders, others want to play with interaction and fun things to do on turns, and everyone should get along :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grevlek posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if I offended you I apologise if I did. I can see how the comment about influencers hawting their way up to the cag could be problematic.

I appreciate your attempt at an apology, and today has saved you from what was about to be a solid probation. That said, a strategic attempt at ingratiation with a new crew via offhand sexism is quite concerning. In the future, I suggest that irrespective of how (poorly) you view a particular group of people - SA megathread denizens or otherwise - spouting bigotry as a social mechanism is a lose/lose situation. Either you'll offend someone, or, you'll be joining a group that thinks bigotry is cool, and why would you want to do that?

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Unban Rofellos you cowards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes, as a laugh, I try to build the most insane and cutthroat cEDH deck possible with ruffles at the helm, and it’s never really even half as strong as Selvala or Yisan, and very frequently makes less mana than Priest of Titania, but unfortunately my beloved RC still bear the scars of decades old feelbads and refuse to release it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I still can't believe he put out a video lambasting the RC for making the B&R decisions of a social format and then immediately announced his own bans for his own format lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bust Rodd posted:

In bold are the 2/14 total members of the RC/CAG that are “attractive cosplayers”

Thanks, king