Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Are they not just selling the cats whole to unscrupulous spare parts dealers, I wonder?

That's my understanding. I meant the cat is gone, not that it was cut open and the platinum excavated.

(Please don't shame me for the rust, we're Canadian, it's congenital)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They need to track down and prosecute the shady guy paying meth'd out people when they bring in 100 cats at a time. It's bad enough in California that every muffler shop has and will weld you a cage to go around your cat.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MomJeans420 posted:

They need to track down and prosecute the shady guy paying meth'd out people when they bring in 100 cats at a time. It's bad enough in California that every muffler shop has and will weld you a cage to go around your cat.

I have a friend in the bay area who had the cat stolen off of his Prius. Some place welded up a cage or installed some kind of panel underneath the car to deter it getting stolen a second time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The Prius cats must be really easy to access as they're ALWAYS being hit in my area.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

:psyduck:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Harley Davidson' 40 minute virtual launch video showed no new motorcycles whatsoever. Here is a 5 minute review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFhuMJOXzZQ

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Wait, what? For like, the handful of grams of precious metal there's people hacksawing cats out?

They use sawzalls and cordless angle grinders.

And it’s profitable enough that they drive reasonably nice cars and work in teams.

https://youtu.be/CoikldsTdsI
https://youtu.be/dVKFNhuEkN8

Prius cats go for £300 by all accounts. They love Priuses.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Horse Clocks posted:

They use sawzalls and cordless angle grinders.

And it’s profitable enough that they drive reasonably nice cars and work in teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoikldsTdsI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVKFNhuEkN8

Prius cats go for £300 by all accounts. They love Priuses.

FTFY

Second video is worth a watch because of how loving sketchy that jack is. The car is rolling around, and this dude still gets underneath it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Want to see that video again but a third car pulls up and steals the cat off the thieves' car while they're busy doing the first one.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Vehicle and vehicle related theft in London is a blight. So glad I don't live there any more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MetaJew posted:

FTFY

Second video is worth a watch because of how loving sketchy that jack is. The car is rolling around, and this dude still gets underneath it.

I think that’s why they backed the black car up, to keep the Prius from rolling?

Either way I like that they had to check to see if it even had a cat still before they started

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Harley Davidson' 40 minute virtual launch video showed no new motorcycles whatsoever. Here is a 5 minute review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFhuMJOXzZQ

Wow gently caress harley forever that was pathetic. They should sell the livewire, bronx, hdADV, and maybe a stupid full dresser for the rich traditionalists. Ax everything else.

I mean they should if they were a motorcycle company, not a lifestyle company.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Listen, the motorcycle arm of the Harley Davidson t-shirt company is doing their best out there. Give them a break. T-shirt production hasn’t even been affected and I think that’s pretty impressive

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No new colours for the LiveWire either.

How do you not even add new paintjobs for your flagship EV?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why bother when they're probably impatient to put it under the stairs?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

No new colours for the LiveWire either.

How do you not even add new paintjobs for your flagship EV?

Because they're not selling any. They're never going to recoup the investment on them, so why bother spending money - no matter how little - on changing paint? Be glad the whole thing isn't just flat black ABS plastic wherever possible

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The live wire was cancelled 20 minutes after it was announced.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The live wire was cancelled 20 minutes after it was announced.

It's still being sold. They have 2021 models (which are the same as 2020 models).

They really need to reduce it in price. I'm super interested in one but almost £30000 is mental.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

It's still being sold. They have 2021 models (which are the same as 2020 models).

They really need to reduce it in price. I'm super interested in one but almost £30000 is mental.

Pretty sure he means HD basically abandoned the Livewire as soon as it came out, just like they've done with every other non-V-twin, non-cruiser bike they've ever made

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

They spent an enormous amount of money marketing it using the Long Way Up...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Steakandchips posted:

They spent an enormous amount of money marketing it using the Long Way Up...

Their marketing spend for 2019 was $388 million. https://biztimes.com/harleys-advertising-rd-costs-jump-by-combined-52-million/

That was up, but still 336mm for 2018.

Under either number, I'm skeptical that long way up cost all that much at all for Harley in the grand scheme of things or that it represents a particular commitment.

It's all just, I think, part and parcel of HD's fundamental problem. They make fine albeit extraordinarily expensive bikes that aren't particularly pushing the envelope anywhere and are really selling a lifestyle (and super expensive bikes) to older customers.

Would a commitment to the livewire be successful? I don't know. Maybe? If they cut the price in half.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
In the first episode of Long Way Up don’t they talk about how the mechanics and engineers that customized the two bikes did it on their own (unpaid implied) time? If so HD spent fuckall on the show other than donating the two base bikes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Most of that number is the cost of printing t-shirts :eng101:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah my understanding of LWU is Harley committed to the cost of two livewires and that’s about it.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I have a friend in the bay area who had the cat stolen off of his Prius. Some place welded up a cage or installed some kind of panel underneath the car to deter it getting stolen a second time.

The worst part about this is California legally requires you to buy an OEM $$$$ cat to replace the stolen one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I first moved out to California I had replaced a rotted out piece of black rubber hose on the PCV filter with some aftermarket blue rubber hose, and the fucker at the smog check place marked it as non-compliant and made me go and buy the $70 black rubber hose from Ford to get signed off as CA emissions compliant

gently caress CARB

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yes, gently caress all emissions regulation because of one pedantic prick.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

No CARB sucks, you could effectively regulate emissions without having to be as lame as CARB is. As far as I can tell, every person involved in CARB hates all vehicles. It's like having white supremacists in charge of your immigration policy.

In a sane world, I could do whatever I wanted as long as I pass a sniffer test, but that won't work in CA.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

No CARB sucks, you could effectively regulate emissions without having to be as lame as CARB is. As far as I can tell, every person involved in CARB hates all vehicles. It's like having white supremacists in charge of your immigration policy.

In a sane world, I could do whatever I wanted as long as I pass a sniffer test, but that won't work in CA.

Ya this is what I don't get, OEM or not shouldn't matter at all as long as you aren't polluting.

Also personally I think there should be an option to pay more or something to support more involved checks that like check yearly millage too or some such. Thinking that basically I could get tested every year to verify emissions level and then there is a factor based on how many miles I travel. Like a 60s muscle car obviously terrible polluter and currently excluded from smog, I think it would be a good idea to include them but basically make it so you could only put so many miles on it per year relative to the emissions level. If I run a straight pipe gas guzzler but only for 100 miles/month during the summer, that's less yearly emissions than a civic putting down 25k miles a year or whatever the math works out too.

(Also I realize putting cost behind it is a bit of a less ideal solution, but to a certain extent I believe ICE needs to move into more of a luxury good and obviously testing more frequently and more involved does cost more, maybe just SMOG check places should record odometer when you go)

Anyway CARB is such a loving idiotic way to go about something that is ultimately a good thing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if that recap mentioned it but HD confirmed to Jalopnik that, to my utter lack of surprise, they're killing off the Street series

https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-just-killed-its-cheap-motorcycles-1846114955

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I don't know if that recap mentioned it but HD confirmed to Jalopnik that, to my utter lack of surprise, they're killing off the Street series

https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-just-killed-its-cheap-motorcycles-1846114955

This would make perfect sense in the original context of the street series, which was intended to teach them how to build smaller, cheaper, water cooled bikes and then immediately get replaced by something less lovely when the spadework had been done (kind of like kia/hyundai circa 2004). Learning completed, the new water cooled line was meant to come in and simultaneously replace both the sportster range and the street range with one unified line-up, as well as adding the ADV as a bonus. This was an astonishing thing because it meant that they recognised the problems, had a sensible plan to fix the problems, and exhibited the capacity to think beyond the next fiscal quarter. Then trump, covid, 'murrica meant that guy was replaced by a quarter-chaser and now that replacement line has been axed in favour of chasing diminishing immediate gains from rich old fucks, so harley are destined to punch themselves in the balls until they follow their declining boomer fanbase swirling down the drain.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I'm really, really disappointed that Matt Levatitch got kicked out. I had never even considered Harleys until they started showcasing these new models. The bikes honestly look outdated, like they are from another time period and trying too hard. The PT Cruisers of motorcycles style wise. They do sound cool though (not the ones that are extra-loud on purpose). The Harley riders I see out there are nice folks but honestly they look kind of like fossils. Most of them really are in half helmets and leather vests like they're cosplaying and buying one would have felt like buying into that culture. I'm not too sure about cruisers either, the ergonomics don't feel natural to me, but the Future Custom looked pretty cool tho. And the Pan America looks nice too but out of my price range for sure

The HD Bronx though . . . that looked loving sick!!!! It's recognizably a Harley Davidson, yet new and modern. I decided not to get another motorcycle so I could wait until it came out in case I wanted to get one. Yeah, new model, probably Ducati Monster 797 pricing for the 750cc version, bad idea and all . . . but I was excited about it. But now its cancelled so it looks I'm getting an SV650.

I don't think Jochen Zeitz is going to take HD anywhere exciting, and I think that's sad. I think there were a lot of people in the same boat as me, that don't feel any attachment to the air-cooled V Twins and heavy cruisers. But more than ready to give New Harley a chance with no baggage, like a brand reborn.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

OctaMurk posted:

The HD Bronx though . . . that looked loving sick!!!! It's recognizably a Harley Davidson, yet new and modern. I decided not to get another motorcycle so I could wait until it came out in case I wanted to get one. Yeah, new model, probably Ducati Monster 797 pricing for the 750cc version, bad idea and all . . . but I was excited about it. But now its cancelled so it looks I'm getting an SV650.
I'm also perplexed by the culling of the HD Bronx and agree that it was a cool looking bike that could have appealed to younger riders as well as older riders. I feel like they could have had 5 lines: (1) traditional cruiser and (2) traditional bagger for the older crowd; (3) HD Bronx/streetfighter/cafe racer for both older and younger riders (4) electric/live wire and (5) ADV.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

T-Shirts can only fit baggers on them due to their size so it makes sense they have to scrap the other lines.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

OctaMurk posted:

I don't think Jochen Zeitz is going to take HD anywhere exciting, and I think that's sad. I think there were a lot of people in the same boat as me, that don't feel any attachment to the air-cooled V Twins and heavy cruisers. But more than ready to give New Harley a chance with no baggage, like a brand reborn.

This is exactly me. I was thinking "wow am I actually going to go get a harley?!" with their bronx and adv. Totally would have given them a chance. But nope and now I'm burned by the experience and would only get an Indian if I got anything American.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

TheBacon posted:

Ya this is what I don't get, OEM or not shouldn't matter at all as long as you aren't polluting.

Also personally I think there should be an option to pay more or something to support more involved checks that like check yearly millage too or some such. Thinking that basically I could get tested every year to verify emissions level and then there is a factor based on how many miles I travel. Like a 60s muscle car obviously terrible polluter and currently excluded from smog, I think it would be a good idea to include them but basically make it so you could only put so many miles on it per year relative to the emissions level. If I run a straight pipe gas guzzler but only for 100 miles/month during the summer, that's less yearly emissions than a civic putting down 25k miles a year or whatever the math works out too.

(Also I realize putting cost behind it is a bit of a less ideal solution, but to a certain extent I believe ICE needs to move into more of a luxury good and obviously testing more frequently and more involved does cost more, maybe just SMOG check places should record odometer when you go)

Anyway CARB is such a loving idiotic way to go about something that is ultimately a good thing.

Older cars which pollute are something like 1% of the cars tested here in Colorado. The vast majority of them pass every two years not by fixing anything, but by the "hardship" waiver. Essentially go find a shop to charge you $1 over the state mandated maximum "fix it cost" ($750 I think), and you are good for another 2 years, even if the shop doesn't even touch the car.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Coydog posted:

This is exactly me. I was thinking "wow am I actually going to go get a harley?!" with their bronx and adv. Totally would have given them a chance. But nope and now I'm burned by the experience and would only get an Indian if I got anything American.

The Bronx and the Custom 1250 look so good.

Killing the Bronx was such a bone-headed move.

I hope they don't kill the Custom 1250.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

The Bronx and the Custom 1250 look so good.

Killing the Bronx was such a bone-headed move.

I hope they don't kill the Custom 1250.

Here is a handy Harley cancellation flow chart to help

Is the bike a classic bagger that is the same as it’s been for 90 years? -> YES -> it will never be canceled
I
V
NO
I
V
It will be cancelled immediately

It can be combined with this even easier to use chart

Has Harley finally changed their ways? -> NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know the way profit margins work on the Big Three's pickup trucks make it worth their time to spiral ever upwards into ridiculously expensive luxo packages where you're basically cosplaying the sole owner/operator/guy with any truck at all of a ranch the size of Saskatchewan, is that what's going on at Harley? It's just easier to make money off a $30,000 Heritage Freedom Custom Screamin Open Road Motorcouch than off new product?