Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

King of the Monsters sadly underperformed, to the extent that I doubt there would be a Godzilla vs. Kong had they not already been deep in production.

Why it underperformed is anyone's guess, I liked the film a bunch but I know a lot of people did not. I don't quite know how the economics of the dual streaming/theatrical Godzilla vs. Kong will be quantified, but I reckon it would have to be a big success for them to do another deal and I don't think it will be. The trailer is getting loads of attention but so did the trailers for King of the Monsters and it didn't equate with big success.

I'm okay with this being the last tbh. It means we get a definite ending free of teases to sequels, and I'm excited to see what Toho do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

Ah, there are different dubs. That explains why when I watched it on TCM there were clear references to Frankenstein despite the host introducing it by saying the references were removed.

And even edits too, there is differences in some of the footage and editing and music used too. Some stock tracks stuff that even later turn up in NoTLD iirc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would be nice for a cinematic universe to have a definitive end for once rather than dying on the vine or becoming an undying husk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I hope they push for a good ending in GvK. Hell, kill Godzilla or have him sacrifice himself. Wouldn’t even be the first, second, or third time they kill the big guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Violator posted:

I watched Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla tonight. The history of monsters montage was loving wacky. The English dub said something along the lines of a giant Bigfoot attacked Japan. I don't think that was part of the Godzilla universe originally was it? That was some other Toho movie?

You should watch Tokyo SOS now. I think it's the better of the two Kiryu Mechagodzilla movies. The Godzilla suit in both looks good but the fights in the first one suck.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like how the subtitles on the bluray for the Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla say "Kiryu" but the ones for Tokyo SOS are "MechaG" even though the dialogue is still saying Kiryu. I watched them back to back and it was very silly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I thought about it and then I did some quick googling. Even though I question an aircraft carrier's ability to hold a 100,000 ton radioactive lizard, Godzilla is actually the same size as his KOTM appearance, standing just under 400 feet tall and having a head to tail length of over 500 feet. If that's a Gerald R. Ford carrier then he'd be about half its total length, which does line up with the trailer shot.

So he's a big boy but we make gigantic boats.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I thought about it and then I did some quick googling. Even though I question an aircraft carrier's ability to hold a 100,000 ton radioactive lizard, Godzilla is actually the same size as his KOTM appearance, standing just under 400 feet tall and having a head to tail length of over 500 feet. If that's a Gerald R. Ford carrier then he'd be about half its total length, which does line up with the trailer shot.

are you calling Godzilla fat

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arcsquad12 posted:

but how munky get big??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PlushCow posted:

Nah, that was the Japanese who said that Legendary G was a chonker. Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me, looking at the toho thunder thighs.

Barry Foster posted:

but how munky get big??

Jump good!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PlushCow posted:

He's just a little husky.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, that was the Japanese who said that Legendary G was a chonker. Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me, looking at the toho thunder thighs.

Jump good!

PeterCat posted:

He's just a little husky.

do NOT google image search "fat godzilla", I have only regrets....

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barry Foster posted:

but how munky get big??

The official answer according to interviews a year or two ago is: he grew up. Kong in Skull Island was an adolescent. He's an adult now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Taking a look at reactions online and everyone is already assuming that godzilla/kong will team up against mecha godzilla and people are feeling underwhelmed by that and honestly me too. In all these vs movies its the only thing that they do and its just not really an interesting premise let alone a surprising one anymore.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Barry Foster posted:

but how munky get big??

Trukk not munky!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Taking a look at reactions online and everyone is already assuming that godzilla/kong will team up against mecha godzilla and people are feeling underwhelmed by that and honestly me too. In all these vs movies its the only thing that they do and its just not really an interesting premise let alone a surprising one anymore.

The ideal situation would be King Kong vs Mechagodzilla disguised as Godzilla, then King Kong and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and then King Kong vs Godzilla for real.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well I mean if you made a clear winner you’d piss off the other side.

Plus “”””””””””canon””””””””””. Which is dumb but people will continue to take it seriously so.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
godzilla should be the clear winner. it doesn't even matter if you approach it from a thematic standpoint or get all tactical realism, the result is exactly the same :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kong actually dies 15 minutes in and the rest of the movie is just a Godzilla movie

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

godzilla should be the clear winner. it doesn't even matter if you approach it from a thematic standpoint or get all tactical realism, the result is exactly the same :colbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Waffleman_ posted:

It would be nice for a cinematic universe to have a definitive end for once rather than dying on the vine or becoming an undying husk.

‘Cinematic universes’ don’t actually exist; they’re just sequels and spin-offs.

The issue is more simply that Hollywood’s making movies that lack proper endings, and/or that drop a bunch of ideas that would have been interesting if the movie were about them.

Godzilla 2 is a huge offender because its sole interesting concept - a montage of ideologist news articles co-opting Godzilla (crowing that Godzilla attacks are good for the economy and so-forth) - is reserved for the end credits.

Add that to the fact that the opening is borderline-incomprehensible if you haven’t seen G14, and an audience viewing this as their first Godzilla would rightly ask what the gently caress is going on. And the answer to that question is a deeply sad “well, Charles Dance wants to kill several billion people for no reason.”

Oh, well what happens to him?

“Eh, he just kinda wanders out of the film.”

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 26, 2021

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Cinematic universes’ don’t actually exist; they’re just sequels and spin-offs.

The issue is more simply that Hollywood’s dropping movies that lack proper endings, and/or that drop a bunch of ideas that would have been interesting if the movie were about them.

Godzilla 2 is a huge offender because its sole interesting concept - a montage of ideologist news articles co-opting Godzilla (crowing that Godzilla attacks are good for the economy and so-forth) - is reserved for the end credits.

Add that to the fact that the opening is borderline-incomprehensible if you haven’t seen G14, and an audience viewing
this as their first Godzilla would rightly ask what the gently caress is going on. And the answer to that question is a deeply sad “well, Charles Dance wants to kill several billion people for no reason.”

Oh, well what happens to him?

“Eh, he just kinda wanders out of the film.”

If you ever wanted a blockbuster that explained the concept that it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism, GKOTM is that film.

The end credits just spelled out what the entire film was saying all along. 1

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Let them meme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sobatchja Morda posted:

If you ever wanted a blockbuster that explained the concept that it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism, GKOTM is that film.

The end credits just spelled out what the entire film was saying all along. 1

That song was fuckin sick

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

John C Reilly's character in Skull Island said Kong was still growing, even.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1353787999969009673?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat I want this

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Guys only want one thing and it's disgusting:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can you actually try to buy that if you live in the US?

Also,

https://twitter.com/realgdt/status/1353888032789770240?s=21

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://twitter.com/Nenorama2/status/1353861188371640321

Tekne fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 26, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tekne posted:

Let them meme.

Is he giving Kong uh, well y'know . .

let's say cancer?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

I went to college with Matt. I knew him through art club. Super weird to keep seeing his name in Godzilla related stuff, but I'm not surprised considering he was obsessed with drawing dinosaurs and Godzilla

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 26, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I knew the Kong had grown a lot since '73 but I didn't quite realise exactly how much bigger he got

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1353794169374818304

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So kong in skull island is about the size of a a baby at about 7 months in utero

Munky grow fast

PeterCat posted:

Trukk not munky!!!

:hmmyes:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I knew the Kong had grown a lot since '73 but I didn't quite realise exactly how much bigger he got

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1353794169374818304

No shin godzilla on here. List sucks!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

No shin godzilla on here. List sucks!

Yeah any list that includes the '98 GINO but no Shin Gojira is immediately suss

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shin is like the second biggest too next to Legendary’s iirc

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shin feels even more enormous because he just becomes another skyscraper in the city for a big chunk of the film.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Godzilla vs Kong, 2021 (colorized)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CelticPredator posted:

Shin is like the second biggest too next to Legendary’s iirc

Shin was bigger than G14, but Godzilla managed to grow just a little bit bigger for KotM