Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If they are working with Zeke I can NOT imagine Levi enjoying that at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Anime hasn't made me this hype in years. And none of this would be as amazing if it didn't have the previous 3 seasons of build up. The characterizations of the Marley side before all this went off was perfect as well, to show that we didn't just have one-dimensional villains on both sides. You can empathize with all the remaining characters showing up, hell including that Magath guy who seems to genuinely care about the Eldians???

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hydrogen zepellins are meant to be not that easy to set on fire providing you don't coat them in flammable paint like with the Hindenburg. You need hydrogen and oxygen for a fire so a pure hydrogen environment shouldn't ignite.

Zepellins were used to bomb London in WW1 and it did take a couple of years for reasonable countermeasures to be put in place, they actually aren't trivial to bring down.

While this is true, this zeppelin in particular is flying very low in order to retrieve the Scouts. I'm sure the bombing zeppelins were much higher up in the sky and harder to hit, and benefitted from the fall-off of artillery rounds.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Levi always moody, but the dude gets the loving job done. Let's examine the values that he's taken the time to articulate:

-It is impossible to judge for certain what's right and what's wrong; true virtue is in trying your hardest to make the right call and holding nothing back to execute it.
-Don't be wasteful.

If his comrades have made thoughtful decisions and have chosen to make full use of their assets, I think the worst that Levi is going to be is impolite. He plays the objective. It's why he had such an understanding with Erwin.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eikre posted:

Levi always moody, but the dude gets the loving job done. Let's examine the values that he's taken the time to articulate:

-It is impossible to judge for certain what's right and what's wrong; true virtue is in trying your hardest to make the right call and holding nothing back to execute it.
-Don't be wasteful.

If his comrades have made thoughtful decisions and have chosen to make full use of their assets, I think the worst that Levi is going to be is impolite. He plays the objective. It's why he had such an understanding with Erwin.

I mean, one of his intro scenes was clasping the bloody hands of a dying scout to promise him that his death wasn't in vain.

Levi's quite used to doing things he hates for the good of the Survey Corps.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

teagone posted:

:hmmyes::agreed: Same feels. Same feels for sure.

I dunno, like, 95% of the people dying in this conflict are civilians. It's funny that Jean was screaming to keep civilian casualities down then like thirty minutes later a tactical grade Armin is unleashed and blows up a quarter of the city.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think the Japanese cartoon with a big mushroom cloud and then a bunch of children dying amidst bombed out rubble was aiming for a reaction of "Haha, take that, bad people!" Just a hunch.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I've not been this hype for anything for ages. I'm more hype than I was for The Boys S2.

I have so many questions but my housemate has read the manga so I can't say poo poo around him because he'll give it all away, and I don't trust you lot not to spoil it.

I love this show, I hate that it's a week until the next episode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

P-Mack posted:

I don't think the Japanese cartoon with a big mushroom cloud and then a bunch of children dying amidst bombed out rubble was aiming for a reaction of "Haha, take that, bad people!" Just a hunch.

True but also in the show they literally had no choice but to attack or get wiped out. It's weird, it's an awful situation all round. But I think you are supposed to be cheering for our heroes just a little bit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vanderdeath posted:

I dunno, like, 95% of the people dying in this conflict are civilians. It's funny that Jean was screaming to keep civilian casualities down then like thirty minutes later a tactical grade Armin is unleashed and blows up a quarter of the city.

Seeing a story's protagonist become so warped by death, fear, hate, etc., that they become the very thing that broke them is a compelling character study. That Eren has essentially gone full villain is indeed tragic—indiscriminately obliterating innocent civilians is such a horrifically brutal culmination to his arc—but there's no other way to explain how riveting I find the narrative at the moment considering the present circumstances. Cathartic is probably the best descriptor imo, even if said circumstances very clearly break all lines of morality as a result of Eren's heel turn.

[edit] I'm reminded of Armin's quote... "To endure becoming a monster you have to discard your humanity." They're all monsters. Some quite literally. I just happen to be more keen on the Paradis monsters for obvious reasons.

[edit 2] I think this is the full quote actually: "You can't change anything unless you discard a part of yourself too. To surpass monsters you must being willing to discard your humanity." Something to that effect. Very much the whole "to defeat the monster, you must become a monster" reality.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 26, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I am rooting for Paradis, but I'm not going to say they are "the good guys". At the most they are the underdogs, and it's always fun to root for the underdog in a situation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There are definitely no true "good guys" in the current war really, yeah — only monsters and the casualties they leave in their wake.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One way in which Paradis have become more "villain-like" is that we actually don't know what their endgame is anymore. If they have some plan for an Eldian uprising or a rapid peace settlement with surrounding nations you could maybe reasonably claim they're in the right. But if Willy is right about Eren's ultimate goal being global genocide...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

While looking for the exact quote about abandoning humanity, I found this one and yeah, Armin just gets it:

“I don't like the terms 'good person' or 'bad person' because it is impossible to be entirely good to everyone. To some, you are a good person, while to others, you are a bad person.”

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/attack-on-titan-final-season-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

Bundle of the manga ends in a little under 2 days. 800 bucks of content for 20 bucks. Has volumes 1-26, which covers up to next episode, so you can read all of it and still remain in the dark for everything past episode 8.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

teagone posted:

There are definitely no true "good guys" in the current war really, yeah — only monsters and the casualties they leave in their wake.

I mean, there's Falco Grice.

Maybe it's a "No Homers" kind of thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, there's Falco Grice.

Maybe it's a "No Homers" kind of thing.

Falco has a chance to be an actual good guy I guess, sure, but based on what Eren is doing to his home atm, there's high chance the cycle of violence continues and Falco ends up becoming just another radical committed to acts of war, just like Eren was. We'll see though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

One way in which Paradis have become more "villain-like" is that we actually don't know what their endgame is anymore. If they have some plan for an Eldian uprising or a rapid peace settlement with surrounding nations you could maybe reasonably claim they're in the right. But if Willy is right about Eren's ultimate goal being global genocide...

From their comments they were against attacking the civilians with a few exceptions,

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think an Eldian uprising is really in the cards when Paradis' very first act of the war was to kill a bunch of Eldian civilians.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

An official version of the music used in the trailer was uploaded

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=169&v=289H9XqmmpM&feature=emb_title

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ccs posted:

After this episode I took the plunge and just read the remaining manga. I have no idea how they're going finish this in one or even two cours. It feels like there's 3 seasons worth of material still to get through.
WELCOME, BROTHER

It's some poo poo, ain't it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ccs posted:

After this episode I took the plunge and just read the remaining manga. I have no idea how they're going finish this in one or even two cours. It feels like there's 3 seasons worth of material still to get through.

Even just the casual spoilers I know paint a picture of like 4 more seasons

And yet there's only like 6 episodes left :thunk:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Reiner didn’t look that good, his titan looks kind of halfbaked.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sockser posted:

Even just the casual spoilers I know paint a picture of like 4 more seasons

And yet there's only like 6 episodes left :thunk:

As stated earlier in the thread, they're almost certainly going to pull a repeat of season 3 and have season 4 broken out into at least two parts. Some people have floated the idea that the ending might be made into a movie but I have no idea what factors come into play for them to go that route. I'd definitely prefer that it stay contained within the TV anime.

Annointed posted:

Reiner didn’t look that good, his titan looks kind of halfbaked.

I love that you can just feel how tired and burned out he is by how terrible his titan form looks.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
AoT will end on chapter 139.

The current 16-episode run will most likely cover chapters 91 to 120 or thereabouts, judging by its current pace. The remainder should fit within another cour after a seasonal break, or a movie trilogy if they go that route but hopefully not.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Two movies or roughly 10 episodes would cover what's left after we've finished these 16.
But yeah, the "Final Season" is not ending the series, at least not without a part 2. The current 16 episode run will take us through this arc and the next one, but not the one after.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This might just be me but the violence is definitely hitting different this season. The show's been brutal before, but there were moments in the past two episodes where I was genuinely disgusted. People turning to mist due to the Cart Titan's machine-gun, the Warhammer chomp - it's feeling way more icky.

I mean, I was almost disgusted the most at Sasha just straight shooting people in cold blood. That wasn't even "crazy anime violence," it was just rough as gently caress.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This might just be me but the violence is definitely hitting different this season. The show's been brutal before, but there were moments in the past two episodes where I was genuinely disgusted. People turning to mist due to the Cart Titan's machine-gun, the Warhammer chomp - it's feeling way more icky.

the violence in this season is thematically distressing because of the moral lines the protagonists have crossed but i don't for a minute think it's any more shocking or visually disturbing than e.g. Eren's mom getting eaten all the way back at the beginning

like said someone said upthread there was a point where AoT was basically a horror manga

i'm fine with what it's evolved into since but i don't think that titans have ever been as unsettling and grotesque as they were when we knew nothing about them

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 26, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the violence in this season is thematically distressing because of the moral lines the protagonists have crossed but i don't for a minute think it's any more shocking or visually disturbing than e.g. Eren's mom getting eaten all the way back at the beginning

like said someone said upthread there was a point where AoT was basically a horror manga

i'm fine with what it's evolved into since but i don't think that titans have ever been as unsettling and grotesque as they were when we knew nothing about them

I think it's arguably more disturbing because it's more grounded. Relatively few of us have seen friends or loved ones eaten alive by giants, but people get shot every year. It's a different feeling.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rocco posted:

I mean, I was almost disgusted the most at Sasha just straight shooting people in cold blood. That wasn't even "crazy anime violence," it was just rough as gently caress.

The people in the Cart were mincing her comrades at least. But she just has this completely dead expression on her face like she's shooting at a mannequin or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

From their comments they were against attacking the civilians with a few exceptions,
Jean didn't want to attack civilians but I don't think we've seen any indication that Eren cares.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The people in the Cart were mincing her comrades at least. But she just has this completely dead expression on her face like she's shooting at a mannequin or something.

I wasn't even referring to that, but rather earlier when Gabi (I think?) and the other kid were talking with the guards that just got mowed down out of nowhere. That was cold.

chiasaur11 posted:

I think it's arguably more disturbing because it's more grounded. Relatively few of us have seen friends or loved ones eaten alive by giants, but people get shot every year. It's a different feeling.

I agree with this. The horror stuff was crazy but this is grounded in a way that makes it way more sick (to me at least).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jean didn't want to attack civilians but I don't think we've seen any indication that Eren cares.

If anything, we've seen the exact opposite: Eren wants to cause as much destruction and death as he can. Killing innocents isn't a by-product of his actions, it's his aim. There's no way he would've transformed as he did, murdering so many innocents, if he wasn't straight up aiming at it.

Mikasa is clearly sickened by his actions, but she's also dangerously loyal to him. And Mikasa isn't exactly someone that is against killing normally, but she seems to still have morality to her. Eren has very much become a monster in more than just body.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Eren is doin' a Citizen Kane.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Jeans hint of doubt has evolved clearly, as he’s now a soldier needing to do what he needs to do. He didn’t want to almost kill a kid standing in his way but his mission is clear and he even kicks himself for having doubt about attempting it at all.

Eren is full Machiavellian. He killed 2 people as a kid. He threw the female titan into a building filled with people. He will kill who ever is in the way of what he wants to accomplish, be it noble or not.

This show rules

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Blaze Dragon posted:

If anything, we've seen the exact opposite: Eren wants to cause as much destruction and death as he can. Killing innocents isn't a by-product of his actions, it's his aim. There's no way he would've transformed as he did, murdering so many innocents, if he wasn't straight up aiming at it.

I don't really understand where you're getting this from. Eren used the building as a hostage to prevent Reiner/Falco from leaving. After Eren transformed he went right after the military targets in the stands. We haven't seen Eren go out of his way to kill civilians, he just doesn't seem to care about collateral damage. This lines up with what he was saying earlier to Reiner and his speech to Falco earlier in the season.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Eren is planning to Rumble everyone anyway then it makes sense he'd be entirely indifferent to civilian casualties. The goal of this operation may have just been to expose and take out the War Hammer since it was an unknown factor that could've potentially stopped him.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It's rather impressive that they've communicated the bleakness of war through an anime about giant skin gundams.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
https://i.imgur.com/Nfi0AWN.jpg

But with titans.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

E: Even Mikasa was horrified at what Eren had done

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is there any actual confirmation that only Eldians transform when injected with Titan fluid? I mean I know a bad guy said that, but as long as they keep the Titan succession going, they could just pretend any marginal group was the one and only group that could do it. It's not like people are going around injecting Titan blood in people to ensure they aren't Eldian.