Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kaal posted:

I mean I know people are mostly just missing Corbyn here, but Starmer's low-thirties average is better than any polling Corbyn had managed since 2017. Mostly it appears that Brits just don't like Labour.

That's true, with the caveat that Corbyn was absolutely monstered in the press for four years and Starmer hasn't been, at all (yet)

e: In 1155 the date of New Year's Day in England was changed from January 1st to March 25th. It was observed on that date until 1752. Personally it makes sense to not have the New Year start in the middle of winter, but there we are. I'd probably go March 1st to keep the months straight if it were up to me. And then make a 13th month, split them all to 28 days plus one bonus "Year Day" on NYE, etc. etc.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Failed Imagineer posted:

A hotdog should snap?

Yep. It should flex, but then snap cleanly once past a certain point. If it just keeps bending or squishes you’ve got a mushy piece of poo poo that’s probably 90% ground up gym-mats.

The kosher ones are the only supermarket brand I’ve found which have proper snap- everything else over here is just too soft and squishy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kaal posted:

I mean I know people are mostly just missing Corbyn here, but Starmer's low-thirties average is better than any polling Corbyn had managed since 2017. Mostly it appears that Brits just don't like Labour.

yeah

starmer is bad enough that he could sneak into number 10 by default imo in a way kkkorbyn obviously couldnt be allowed to

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Camrath posted:

Yep. It should flex, but then snap cleanly once past a certain point. If it just keeps bending or squishes you’ve got a mushy piece of poo poo that’s probably 90% ground up gym-mats.

The kosher ones are the only supermarket brand I’ve found which have proper snap- everything else over here is just too soft and squishy.

Hot Dogs are nature's asparagus.

Maybe the other way around idk

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Camrath posted:

Ah yeah that makes sense, I was thinking of a loud crack.like a breadstick

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Grey Hunter posted:

He's going to run one over on the way to/from the press conference, isn't he.
i never even knew it was possible for tuberculosis to kill off the entire hedgehog population

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The best hot dog is a matthesons smoked sausage in a baguette!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

sebzilla posted:

Hot Dogs are nature's asparagus.

Maybe the other way around idk

Hot dogs are better as they don’t make your piss stink.

(I actually love me some asparagus, but yeah)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

like most sausages the best hotdogs are the cheapest, worst ones

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Communist Thoughts posted:

like most sausages the best hotdogs are the cheapest, worst ones

I like Quorn hotdogs, they're virtually identical to meat ones with the advantage that they're not made of hooves and hair

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I submit to the thread

Salt and Chilli Pizza Crunch

quote:

The pizza crunch is topped with a mix of spices, as well as onions and peppers and the latest addition to the takeaway's salt and chilli range.

According to the owners 'it's just like the pizza crunch from the chip shop, only better'.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/glasgow-chinese-takeaway-launches-salt-14510997

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol the eu loving sucks

https://twitter.com/SKyriakidesEU/status/1353747218805755904?s=20

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the heady flavours of ground up eyelids, anuses and political dissidents is what makes a hotdog, imo. maybe some fried onions and served by a grubby man in a dirty white car park catering trailer

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

It's funny to me that in the rush to return to normality with a sensible, centrist public school type it never occurred to anyone that he might be an absolutely dreadful politician.
It's backformed justification. Keir Starmer is An Good Polician™ because he acts like a manager, and managers are good at their jobs, because if for one second we thought managers weren't good at their jobs, we might have to start questioning the fairness of our treatment under a managerial system and why certain people get promoted to elite status and we don't.

So it must be that we suck and they are clever. Yes, that's a sensible way to think about it. drat marxists trying to trick us into thinking about things!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

lol the eu loving sucks
That's a good look against China's belt and road and vaccine initiatives.

e:

Camrath posted:

Have you tried fermenting it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

Agree with this, they are very good. I'm a lifelong vegetarian so I can't make a direct comparison but the first time we had them my wife was absolutely convinced we must've been given actual beef by mistake.

She said "They're a very convincing imitation of the kind of low-quality burger that you get at a McDonalds" or something which is actually kind of an endorsement.

She's wrong! They are much better than McDonalds, and up there with the Byrons and Honest Burgers of this world.

Gort posted:

I like Quorn hotdogs, they're virtually identical to meat ones with the advantage that they're not made of hooves and hair

My wife is vegetarian so we are 99.5% vegetarian at home. The Quorn hotdogs are pretty good. But as CyberPingu says, the Moving Mountains ones are better.

The Question IRL posted:

Real talk, my wife wanted a Beyond Burger last night so I went down to the Tesco to get them for her. I found them in the frozen foods section.
It was only when I got home that I discovered you have to thaw them out before cooking and can't cook them from frozen. (Since she's currently a diabetic dinners have to be eaten at specific times.)
But at least we can have them for dinner tonight.

I just microwave defrost them then pan-fry them.

My son is also diabetic. Fun, isn't it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Camrath posted:

It's fascinating, because it takes literal minutes to happen. You can sit down, eat dinner, then immediately take a whizz and make the bathroom stink like vegetables that have been cooked for three hours. No idea how the human body works that fast.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

That's a good look against China's belt and road and vaccine initiatives.

e:

Have you tried fermenting it?

...why would I do that? Why would /anyone/ do that?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's fascinating, because it takes literal minutes to happen. You can sit down, eat dinner, then immediately take a whizz and make the bathroom stink like vegetables that have been cooked for three hours. No idea how the human body works that fast.

Yeah, I can’t think of anything that you eat which ‘works’ so quickly. Eat an edible, it’ll be an hour or so. Drop acid, twenty minutes. Eat asparagus? That stank is in your bladder /instantly/.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 26, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I have no idea if you can find Impossible brand veggie burgers and brats anywhere in the UK, but they're absolutely fantastic and pretty much set the standard. Their only competition is a Beyond Burger, and I think that it's generally accepted that Impossible Burgers are simply better (and priced accordingly).

therattle posted:

She's wrong! They are much better than McDonalds, and up there with the Byrons and Honest Burgers of this world.

It's true they are much better. Though McDonald's actually partnered with Beyond to supply their new McPlant veggie burger, which is debuting soon.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 26, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've amended my Tesco order to add a couple of Beyond Burgers to give them a try. I've tried the own brand meat free ones before and they weren't impressive so hopefully these will be much better.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kaal posted:

I have no idea if you can find Impossible brand veggie burgers and brats anywhere in the UK, but they're absolutely fantastic and pretty much set the standard. Their only competition is a Beyond Burger, and I think that it's generally accepted that Impossible Burgers are simply better (and priced accordingly).

Impossible Burgers are the ones that use GM mushrooms to produce haemoglobin? Now that we have Brexited it should be possible to import.

Sunlit uplands.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

While your premise is true, this is a specific response to AZ trying to back out of its vaccine delivery contract to arbitrage extra profit elsewhere. Blame Bill Gates for pushing the Oxford/AZ partnership in the first place

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

...why would I do that? Why would /anyone/ do that?
Because it's good op

keep punching joe posted:

Impossible Burgers are the ones that use GM mushrooms to produce haemoglobin? Now that we have Brexited it should be possible to import.

Sunlit uplands.
Apparently we're still in the worst of both worlds park for that at the moment. Checks on goods but no GM mycelium yet.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

While your premise is true, this is a specific response to AZ trying to back out of its vaccine delivery contract to arbitrage extra profit elsewhere. Blame Bill Gates for pushing the Oxford/AZ partnership in the first place

Is there any proof of the arbitrage profit thing (other than lol pharma companies)? I thought they said the manufacturing yields at their EU plant were just lower than expected.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Failed Imagineer posted:

corbyn_looking_into_camera.mp4

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1327603737045716993?s=20

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Not only are you an apologists for a nazi but now you are pro-big phrama!

You've changed man.

But seriously, the manufacturers are reneging on contractual obligations so the EU has a right to redress this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

happyhippy posted:

That's because you are eating the poo poo Licorice Allsorts, the cardboard of licorice.

A workmate brought in some licorice Turkish Pepper a few years ago, and poo poo it is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber

Never cared for turkish pepper. I like to think Finland knows licorice (esp salmiakki), but I don't eat it anyway because it really raises your BP.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

keep punching joe posted:

Sunlit uplands.

Yup, it tastes like science!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ah, I thought you were referring to stinky asparagus piss, not the asparagus itself.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gort posted:

Prefer Linda McCartney ones myself.
The Quorn hotdog has a tiny cooking range of 'not nearly yet done' and 'oh poo poo its drier than a Sahari flip flop'.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

I've amended my Tesco order to add a couple of Beyond Burgers to give them a try. I've tried the own brand meat free ones before and they weren't impressive so hopefully these will be much better.
The iceland meat free quarter pounders aren't bad, they have the right texture and taste, and as long as you don't overcook them they come out nice and juicy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Camrath posted:

Ah, I thought you were referring to stinky asparagus piss, not the asparagus itself.

you need to add poo poo to the piss ferment if you're making jenkem

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gotta say the thing I dislike most with frankfurthers is the snap. Somehow it's revolting to me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I quite like the Iceland No Bull burgers. I tried a Beyond burger (bought from the chilled aisle) and wasn't that impressed tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/NickyZog/status/1353732401009188867?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Linda McCartney mozzarella stuffed veg burgers are top tier.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gotta say the thing I dislike most with frankfurthers is the snap. Somehow it's revolting to me.

There is space for a wide variety of opinions in this world, even if some of them are factually and morally wrong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

:stonk:

Some people have said that fermenting decreases the piss stank, which is what made me think of it, but that seems very variable from person as it is so ymmv.

Jose posted:

you need to add poo poo to the piss ferment if you're making jenkem
The Tory domestic pharma revolution is underway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ha ha he's so funny
Have you seen his floppy hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Camrath posted:

There is space for a wide variety of opinions in this world, even if some of them are factually and morally wrong.

I like the traditional finnish cheap sausages that are like 50% filling / flour too instead of the fancy high protein ones.

I also like preground coffee and buy the cheapest light beer possible (usually Lidl). I love cheap low class food :colbert: