Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditto_Face
Aug 19, 2020

Mezzanon posted:

God I love pauper. I even like playing bad decks in pauper (uw acid trip), I am really sad that gush died for foils sons (rip tribe) and now I’m playing the cycling storm deck in pauper and it absolutely slaps.

I still play Tribe! I've gone 4-0 at my legs plenty of times with it since then, and was on the bubble for one of the pauper 1k events we hold with it. Haven't picked it up in a month or so, but I would be willing to work with you on it for mtgo. Best finish with it was top 4 before gush was banned. The field was stacked though. Played against Brian Demars round 2 and at least two other pro tour competitors before Swiss was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hello Yachtsmen, it's Eternal Weekend time (on MTGO!)

https://magic.gg/news/eternal-weekend-2020-on-magic-online

$25 entry, 3 days for Legacy (Oct 16-18), and 2 days for Vintage (Oct 24 - 25). $25 entry for any of the 6 events (3 and 3) will get you a god account that you can brew with for the weekend. You can even win oversized art cards too!

If you don't play these formats normally, $25 for a weekend of some of the most fun in magic is still worth it!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm kinda into that even if it does mean using MTGO, I haven't been able to play Legacy in forever.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

legalize canadian highlander :350:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

TVsVeryOwn posted:

legalize canadian highlander :350:

Amen.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Unrelated to EW

I've got a tinfins / doomsday build I've been working on for a couple months now and started tracking my stats because I felt like it was absurdly good - but I know that anecdotal gut feeling is a real bad litmus

I'm at 250+ matches tracked in leagues/premier play now and sitting at.. 70.34% winrate; and sitting towards the top of the MTGO trophy leaderboard.

The deck is obscene and nobody else is playing it.

Been published the last two dumps (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/walked) and should again the next one. I've made some revisions since then but it's close to what I'm currently running.

Deck is insanely fun; hop on the Doomsday discord (https://discord.gg/vajvFXt) anytime if folks want to chat about it; it's got it's own channel and everything at this point

Current version is posted here:
https://twitter.com/walkedair/status/1314228564611530753?s=20

And primer is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fJ7TimhdHG-2dwfwkie6jgDcZSl1eFD73QxBd_KQ86c/edit

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 8, 2020

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Hello Yachtsmen, it's Eternal Weekend time (on MTGO!)

https://magic.gg/news/eternal-weekend-2020-on-magic-online

$25 entry, 3 days for Legacy (Oct 16-18), and 2 days for Vintage (Oct 24 - 25). $25 entry for any of the 6 events (3 and 3) will get you a god account that you can brew with for the weekend. You can even win oversized art cards too!

If you don't play these formats normally, $25 for a weekend of some of the most fun in magic is still worth it!

that's cool, definitely gonna give that a go. probably gonna play something i don't have in paper (eldrazi variants, rug delver). thinking of going with BUG ninjas? might be cool.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I need help picking decks for Eternal Weekend. I love creature combo decks in Canlander because their plan B is just to turn creatures sideways, but it seems that it's not a very good plan A in 4-of formats. The last time I played Legacy I played Eldrazi post, but that deck seems to be out of favour if I glance at MTGG. I've also put a few reps on Cephalid Blade in like 2018. I guess I'm really stuck on what I want to play in Vintage. I don't really like Dredge and I don't see a compelling Rec Sur deck which is where my true passion lies.

Edit: Just let me play Flash Hulk cowards!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a question: What is the GY hate people are running these days. My friend says the meta we are heading to at our next legacy event has very little white, so what GY hate can i expect? Trying to prep my sideboard.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dark-bant-oracle-walk-2/
So this is where I got to in attempting to brew creature combo. Gameplan is stick Spellseeker and then either Time Walk lock or tutor out Oracle combo. It probably lacks enough resilience or interaction to actually hang, but I was hoping yall could help.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think if you're going for an oracle gameplan you might as well be playing some variant of doomsday. I think it's the best deck in the format right now. There was someone who cut all the doomsdays from their list, and played Divining Witches instead managed to top 8 a couple of challeneges.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think if you're going for an oracle gameplan you might as well be playing some variant of doomsday. I think it's the best deck in the format right now. There was someone who cut all the doomsdays from their list, and played Divining Witches instead managed to top 8 a couple of challeneges.

I'm not sure I have the time or mental fortitude to learn Doomsday in two weeks. At least in Highlander the stacks take some learning. I'm trying to play what I like and just get a few more percentage points. Like I added a few more draw spells the last revision.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a question: What is the GY hate people are running these days. My friend says the meta we are heading to at our next legacy event has very little white, so what GY hate can i expect? Trying to prep my sideboard.

Leyline, Surgical, Grafdiggers Cage, and Relic seem to be the most common on MTGO

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Getting reps in for eternal weekend, if I can play this well I'm taking down the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Bc5Cv85IE

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Eternal Weekend looks like it was a big success. The third legacy event even hit it's cap of 672 players. The top 8s look pretty diverse too from what people have been putting together.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Legacy is great

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I kinda wish they'd just offer an "eternal only" style of account or something like the did for the eternals weekend where you can just build whatever you want and jam events

I'd pay monthly for something like that just to mess around with really janky combos and be bracket fodder for people actually good at this game

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I kinda wish they'd just offer an "eternal only" style of account or something like the did for the eternals weekend where you can just build whatever you want and jam events

I'd pay monthly for something like that just to mess around with really janky combos and be bracket fodder for people actually good at this game

That already exists sort of. Use code "RatTrain" for 15% off first 3 months, from Frank Lepore.

I'm almost done with my first month and definitely renewing. Gold tier is enough to play any deck in any format so far. I just saved my decklists on manatraders and it takes no time to just click "rent deck" on whatever I feel like playing that day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few people at WotC who are looking at the success of rental services like Manatraders this year and wondering how they can get in on that action. Sounds like an uphill battle with the MTGO secondary market though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That already exists sort of. Use code "RatTrain" for 15% off first 3 months, from Frank Lepore.

I'm almost done with my first month and definitely renewing. Gold tier is enough to play any deck in any format so far. I just saved my decklists on manatraders and it takes no time to just click "rent deck" on whatever I feel like playing that day.

hmmm....I might have to dig out my MTGO account.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few people at WotC who are looking at the success of rental services like Manatraders this year and wondering how they can get in on that action. Sounds like an uphill battle with the MTGO secondary market though.

Wizards just needs to come to the realization that if they charge the rental fee, they get that money instead of ManaTraders or Cardhoarder.

But they won't because there's probably people that have power at Wizards that are balls deep in the MTGO secondary market along with the paper secondary market.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Credit where it's due for adapting after feedback. They used to have a "Mana-Hours" concept, where basically there was a cap on your rentals each month based on the value of the cards multiplied by the time you have them in your account, which was why I hadn't used them in the past.

They got rid of that and just ask nicely that you return the cards after you finish your event. It's a tiny bit tedious having to go add everything to your tradelist to return the cards, but it's a small price to pay to not have to commit a pile of money to a single deck. Otherwise, the actual trading back and forth takes no time, their bots are pretty efficient.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've thought about it, and the price isn't bad compared to buying the cards themselves, but it's still kind of steeper than what I can really justify unless I get really back into playing a ton of magic. I've sorta fallen off with quarantine and everything

I think the sweet spot for me is $20-25 a month, with some allocation of tickets for actually running through tournaments, since there's not really a "queue" idea other than free play in MTGO. Maybe I'm just cheap I dunno

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Credit where it's due for adapting after feedback. They used to have a "Mana-Hours" concept, where basically there was a cap on your rentals each month based on the value of the cards multiplied by the time you have them in your account, which was why I hadn't used them in the past.

They got rid of that and just ask nicely that you return the cards after you finish your event. It's a tiny bit tedious having to go add everything to your tradelist to return the cards, but it's a small price to pay to not have to commit a pile of money to a single deck. Otherwise, the actual trading back and forth takes no time, their bots are pretty efficient.

You don't have to add everything to your tradelist, just select the option when opening a trade that lets them look at your full collection and it will only select the cards they know you rented.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You don't have to add everything to your tradelist, just select the option when opening a trade that lets them look at your full collection and it will only select the cards they know you rented.

Oh sweet, I hadn't thought of that. Well that removes my only minor annoyance with the service.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What stops people from just running off with the cards once they're in their accounts? This isn't a :smug: gotcha thing, I'm legit curious what system they have in place to stop it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

What stops people from just running off with the cards once they're in their accounts? This isn't a :smug: gotcha thing, I'm legit curious what system they have in place to stop it.

Your paypal or credit card is attached to your account and gets automatically billed each month. You basically get pre-approved.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
When you sign up you have to provide info like a scan of your ID and confirmation that you own the MTGO account the cards are going to. Presumably, that plus trade records plus your payment method would be sufficient evidence that you the person on that ID got those cards, so they could take you to court.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ah, makes sense.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Just starting to get into Legacy, found a casual playgroup that has started to meet once a month again for some paper, and once (if!) the pandemic clears they are pretty well established here and get 12-20 weekly, so I've built Legacy Doomsday. I did get an invite to that Discord, but wanted to post here first.

I currently only own 1 Underground Sea, and while the current paper climate is so casual, I don't want to go buy 2 more right now, I'd rather space that out. What is the best alternative to run replacements for the other two? In my Infect deck, I ran 2x Trop, 2x Breeding Pool, but does Doomsday have the margin to sacrifice the 2 life for Watery Graves? Would I be better off playing basics?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Speaking of Doomsday, I'm sure you'll love one of these coming down against you:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Just starting to get into Legacy, found a casual playgroup that has started to meet once a month again for some paper, and once (if!) the pandemic clears they are pretty well established here and get 12-20 weekly, so I've built Legacy Doomsday. I did get an invite to that Discord, but wanted to post here first.

I currently only own 1 Underground Sea, and while the current paper climate is so casual, I don't want to go buy 2 more right now, I'd rather space that out. What is the best alternative to run replacements for the other two? In my Infect deck, I ran 2x Trop, 2x Breeding Pool, but does Doomsday have the margin to sacrifice the 2 life for Watery Graves? Would I be better off playing basics?

Doomsday is extremely reliant on UU and BBB; the seas are important.

If you dont want to, there is a build called Snowday going around on the discord (obviously leveraging snow / astrolabe); hop on and I'm sure someone can hook you up (I dont have it handy)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is the Discord link: https://discord.gg/zg6fDFU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Vidmaster posted:

The real question is does that guy suddenly let hatebears style decks win against decks that they weren't already winning against with cards like aven mindcensor or leonin arbiter? It's certainly more powerful than either of those, but it might still be too fair outside of swamp, go -> dark ritual, opposition agent in response to your fetch.

someone please, please make Legacy Suicide Black with maindeck Agents

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.bluestew.net/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would play these

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Q&A really cleared a lot of things up for me

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Legacy really needs some bans. I wish they would just ban Oko, then evaluate for 2 weeks to see if anything else needs a ban. At this point I'd be happy to see Oko, uro, and DHA all banned.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not having face to face events hasn't helped, but I was definitely put off Legacy after Oko or Astrolabe wasn't banned during the last big round they did. I've actually considered selling off my decks a few times if they haven't done something by the time COVID blows over and we have GPs and stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/february-15-2021-banned-and-restricted-announcement?x=iazoidrnet

quote:

Legacy:

Arcum's Astrolabe is banned.

Dreadhorde Arcanist is banned.

Oko, Thief of Crowns is banned.

Looks like I can start sleeving up SFM again.