Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This is my high score so far for Analysis

...yes, this followed me doing a losing move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

This is my high score so far for Analysis

...yes, this followed me doing a losing move

they momentarily hallucinated a white bishop on e4 :roflolmao:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The start and end of a fun 11 move checks to checkmate sequence. Probably not forced but eh, I'll take it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
From Duda-Carlsen just now. Black to play and win.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 22, 2021

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

It doesn't show for me.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

It doesn't show for me.

Better now? imgur hasn't been working for me lately so I'm trying alternatives.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Nf4 then white does either Bc3 or Be3
Nd3-fork C8+
Kf7

I can't really figure out how to force it beyond that because I'm not sure what the obvious move would be with the second white rook. But I think that's the direction? :how:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

former glory posted:

Nf4 then white does either Bc3 or Be3
Nd3-fork C8+
Kf7

I can't really figure out how to force it beyond that because I'm not sure what the obvious move would be with the second white rook. But I think that's the direction? :how:

1...Nf4
2.Rc8+ Kf7
3. Be3

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The amount of almost decent options white has after 1...Nf4 are hurting my head. It almost looks like white can get away with 2. Bxb6 Nd3, 3. bxa5 Nxe1, 4. Bxe1, followed by b4 and Bc3 soon after and maybe play for a draw, but I think black can just take the bishop, leading to 2. Bxb6 Rxb6, 3. gxf4 Rd4 and even though black is down a pawn, theyre going to get it back with a winning structure anyways.

And thats just one of many lines where it looks equal or nearly equal in material but white is left in an awful, tangled position. Is there a killing blow to any of this or is the bad position the point?

e: Nvm I think I found it. Bishop is frozen for at least one turn until the knight moves so Kf7 is probably the strongest move. I discounted it because I thought that 2. Be3 would defuse the situation but the knight can just take, and 3...Rd2 is way too strong to allow that exchange.

e2: or white just moves a rook instead. gah

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 23, 2021

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

1...Nf4
2.Rc8+ Kf7
3. Be3

Agh! Tough one.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

former glory posted:

Agh! Tough one.

Wait, is that actually the answer? I saw it but discarded it because I couldnt find a way to force the position into a material advantage, just a decent positional one.

e: Looking at it even more, the e-file rook is frozen too since it has to protect against the e2 fork, so Kf7 still intuitively feels like the best move but I dont have the brain power to calculate all the different variations. Im just going to assume its the answer and go on with my day

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 23, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Wait, is that actually the answer? I saw it but discarded it because I couldnt find a way to force the position into a material advantage, just a decent positional one.

e: Looking at it even more, the e-file rook is frozen too since it has to protect against the e2 fork, so Kf7 still intuitively feels like the best move but I dont have the brain power to calculate all the different variations. Im just going to assume its the answer and go on with my day

No, that was me giving a refutation of former glory's proposed solution.

Here's a hint:

Black would love play Nb4, creating the double attack of Rxd4 and Nd3.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Black would love play Nb4, creating the double attack of Rxd4 and Nd3.

Rxd4 is refuted by moving the bishop away and the subsequent Nd3 is spoiled with a back rank check. So I guess... move the king first? Kf7? and then white's only play really is to move bishop to the pawn-protected c3 which takes away Nb4. Even with that hint I'm lost, lol.

But seriously what's with the time on those clocks.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Is there a line that I am missing on this analysis? I had forked the Rook and Queen so my opponent moved the Queen away but the analysis says the better move
is to allow the Queen to be captured then retake the Knight.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

madey posted:

Is there a line that I am missing on this analysis? I had forked the Rook and Queen so my opponent moved the Queen away but the analysis says the better move

E: nevermind I'm wrong

I think it's Nxe7+ Kh8 Nc6; after taking the bishop with check, putting the knight back on c6 is a double attack again with the e file open for the rook to attack the queen

E: oops the queen can just take the knight on c6 lol nevermind

kumba fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 23, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

madey posted:

What are the evaluations the machine is giving? This is just the difference between losing the queen two different ways. 1.Nxe7+ Kh8 2.Ng6+

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

madey posted:

Is the engine seeing some kind of line like

Nxe7+ Kh8
Ng6+ fxg6
Rxe8 Rxe8

as the result of moving the queen? That leaves white down a knight and a rook but black down a queen and a bishop, so you've traded rook for queen. Maybe the engine thinks that's superior to just trading knight for queen because it leaves black with more material instead of trading down closer to a clearly losing endgame?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Apsyrtes posted:

Rxd4 is refuted by moving the bishop away and the subsequent Nd3 is spoiled with a back rank check. So I guess... move the king first? Kf7? and then white's only play really is to move bishop to the pawn-protected c3 which takes away Nb4. Even with that hint I'm lost, lol.

But seriously what's with the time on those clocks.

Im fairly certain its Kf7 since white cant move out of the discovered attack on the bishop. I think its just a question of how to respond to some of whites weirder moves, because I cant think of a good response to 2. Re4 Nb4 3. Bc3. I think 3...f4 maybe works, but that leads to 4. Bxb4 axb4, and then after white moves the rook youre likely playing 5...Rd2 which will guaranteed pick up b2 and b3, but for the price of tripled pawns. Its a material advantage that looks awful to play, but I guess if youre the best in the world thats not an issue?

If Carlsen played Kf7 its more likely that Duda played one of the many bad moves due to time pressure and just lost immediately instead.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Hand Knit posted:

What are the evaluations the machine is giving? This is just the difference between losing the queen two different ways. 1.Nxe7+ Kh8 2.Ng6+

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I was so in love with my fork I wasn't taking in what the analysis was saying. The difference was only .1 between the two moves.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

anyone available for some light coaching? I'm around 850 on Chess.com and looking to improve. I think with the sheer number of resources online it's hard for me to focus on one at a time, and I don't know how to practice effectively. So far I've been farting around with the king's indian, fried liver attack, and caro kan but that's it!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Well. This is a checkmate.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Artelier posted:

Well. This is a checkmate.

he’ll yeah smothered mate ftw!

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've done a few correspondence games now and I've had 2 or 3 where my opponent who isn't very highly rated has managed to open in a perfect way. I'm at move 12 and wondering if I should resign - it's so perfectly covering all avenues. And then the guy just blunders away the queen or loses a minor piece. Maybe I should learn a better way to open that isn't just king's pawn. knight, knight, and then hope for the best.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

former glory posted:

I've done a few correspondence games now and I've had 2 or 3 where my opponent who isn't very highly rated has managed to open in a perfect way. I'm at move 12 and wondering if I should resign - it's so perfectly covering all avenues. And then the guy just blunders away the queen or loses a minor piece. Maybe I should learn a better way to open that isn't just king's pawn. knight, knight, and then hope for the best.

if you’re doing it on lichess, an opening book is allowed and built right in to the correspondence ui

i heard icc???? maybe a different one allows you to use an engine for every move which doesn’t make sense at all to me. idk about anywhere else

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Oh no kidding? I am on lichess and didn't realize there was an opening book allowed/integrated in the actual live games. I figured they may have been using something.

Not sure how I feel about that, honestly. I guess it would be good to use it if others are, but I feel like it's a bad habit to get into.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I tend to agree because it makes new players think that they need to remember 10+ lines of openings to play chess.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

apophenium posted:

I could use a few chess.com buddies. Learning as best I can but I'm still down around 500. If you want another daily game add me!

chess.com: paymentplan

I also like 960 if that's your thing.

Added, I'm moldyfood. Just cracked 700.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

former glory posted:

Not sure how I feel about that, honestly. I guess it would be good to use it if others are, but I feel like it's a bad habit to get into.

Databases have always been permissible as part of correspondence chess, since there was really no way to prevent them from being used. Similar reasons are leading organizations to make engine use permissible. At this point, it's just part of what correspondence chess is.

My approach has been to just not bother with that sort of stuff and accept that my correspondence rating is going to be a few hundred points lower.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

What's the best way to use books? I reserved a copy of Chess Openings for Black from my library and have started going through and we're literally to

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6

and the permutations from there are overwhelming.

Not to mention I'm horrible at reading chess notation and so have to painstakingly work with an analysis board to run through each line they talk about.

How do you retain? I'm very amateur - ~1000 blitz and ~1300 daily on chess.com and am not sure if it's dumb for me to try to utilize books like this vs. doing puzzles / grinding out games.

I know for jiu jitsu, which has similar endless permutations depending on what your opponent does, some of the best instructionals I have used are set up more as as reference so you can go to specific positions/techniques you're struggling with and go through different responses. But chess has way more potential variations in openings I'm not even sure if something like that would be feasible?

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

butros posted:

What's the best way to use books? I reserved a copy of Chess Openings for Black from my library and have started going through and we're literally to

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6

Not to mention I'm horrible at reading chess notation and so have to painstakingly work with an analysis board to run through each line they talk about.

How do you retain? I'm very amateur - ~1000 blitz and ~1300 daily on chess.com and am not sure if it's dumb for me to try to utilize books like this vs. doing puzzles / grinding out games.

I know for jiu jitsu, which has similar endless permutations depending on what your opponent does, some of the best instructionals I have used are set up more as as reference so you can go to specific positions/techniques you're struggling with and go through different responses. But chess has way more potential variations in openings I'm not even sure if something like that would be feasible?

I'd recommend just playing moves that make sense to you based on general considerations (control the center of the board, develop your pieces, protect your king) and potential tactics you see on the board. Then after the game take a look at a database and see what moves in the opening were common or uncommon and if you picked any moves that aren't played by strong players or that lead to bad results. If so, spend a few minutes looking at alternatives and thinking about why they might be superior to what you played to improve your knowledge and intuition for next time. If not, your openings didn't hurt you in that game and you can move on to other things. Over time, this approach will solidify into a repertoire that 1) addresses what you actually see in games, and 2) matches your own intuition and understanding. Memorizing lines is a big waste of time until you are much stronger, IMO.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

butros posted:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6

this is exactly what I mean.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I'm also amateur level attempting to learn some Caro Kann. I find that playing the lines on a physical board is mandatory, especially as black since the book has diagrams with white at the bottom. I also go back and forth between playing online and reading to see where I messed up.
I also quit playing 1. e4 e5 as black because that poo poo is hard.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hand Knit posted:

Databases have always been permissible as part of correspondence chess, since there was really no way to prevent them from being used. Similar reasons are leading organizations to make engine use permissible. At this point, it's just part of what correspondence chess is.

My approach has been to just not bother with that sort of stuff and accept that my correspondence rating is going to be a few hundred points lower.

that's really awful.

I mean I have studied the principles of openings and will review the book moves after a game is over, but during a game I feel honor bound to just play with no aides. Otherwise my opponent might as well just play a bot

No more correspondence on lichess for me I guess (I am mostly playing chess.com right now anyway--was off 12 hours for downgrading my trial to gold before the payment went through OOPS)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I mean, if you’re hanging around at 1200, how many engine-using players do you expect to be facing?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Honestly at lower levels it's probably an advantage if your opponent has access to an opening book. Just go out of book around move 4 or so. Some slight microscopic theoretical disadvantage you incur will be totally unexploitable in practice by players picking moves blindly from a book.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

that's really awful.

I mean I have studied the principles of openings and will review the book moves after a game is over, but during a game I feel honor bound to just play with no aides. Otherwise my opponent might as well just play a bot

No more correspondence on lichess for me I guess (I am mostly playing chess.com right now anyway--was off 12 hours for downgrading my trial to gold before the payment went through OOPS)

Chess.com does the exact same thing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

teppichporsche posted:

Chess.com does the exact same thing

I had assumed it was tracking the opening moves for subsequent exploration, not that I could look and see what I should do next. I don't like it.

Ah well.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i heard icc???? maybe a different one allows you to use an engine for every move which doesn’t make sense at all to me. idk about anywhere else
ICCF and LSS both allow engines. ICCF is the FIDE recognized authority on correspondence chess for what that's worth.

As Hand Knit alludes to, correspondence chess has always been about using all tools available including days of reflection time to choose the best possible moves. This moving from printed books of theory and historical games to digital databases, tablebases, and engines was a natural progression in my opinion in correspondence chess's attempt to be the highest level of chess humanly possible.

And that is also why the most important thing correspondence chess does in the chess world is be a source for novelties for the 2700s of the world to play in classical.

I'm a titled Correspondence Chess Master (CCM) on ICCF, and steadily working on becoming an IM. Happy to answer any questions about that world.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

cool a second titled player itt

my pledge to my fellow goons: I will not consult a book or engine to plot out my blunders in our tournaments. I have plenty of brain power to do that on my own. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Do official correspondence games have separate categories for human only play and ones that include engines? If it's seeking to show the epitome of chess, including engines, I don't see how it doesn't turn into an escalating war of people throwing money at stockfish instances.