Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

RadicalTranslation posted:

Tim Dolighan for the Toronto Sun

I don't even understand this one...

Trudeau should probably try vetting an appropriate Governor general. He thinks himself a king, but he's a fool. He has Jughead's crown on you see. Very foolish.

Real cutting edge commentary.

Also for Americans who don't understand; the governor general of Canada has resigned after a scandal involving some very awful administrative bullying in their office. Thing is many Canadians feel the ceremonial position is a waste of space and should be abolished once and for all, especially in light of it being a toxic workplace.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I would respect someone who wears a Jughead hat a thousand times more than I would respect someone who wears a crown, so it's an incredibly flawed visual.

Libra fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 26, 2021

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good news, Vantina has decided to ditch the Norwegian and make comics in English. It's an even shittier version of Nemi. :q:
Oh and I'll link this one because of the kinda :nws: vagina-spider.
https://imgur.com/oyYD8o8

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Like it would kind of make sense if it were about impeachment. (It would still be dumb though.) But the filibuster???

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Instead of cleaning up the mess the House makes, the filibuster just sits there, doing nothing, and that is why the filibuster should be done away with. A Good Cartoon.

Luftvaffel
Sep 25, 2008

But what's the point of spending $10 if you can't give somebody an avatar that will scar them for life?

The Chad Jihad posted:

Wait, I remember this, wasn't it originally something to do with a poster that was really dumb?

I think it was Jack the Smack. So long ago...

How about the "Duke NeoSanders memorial award for willful density"?

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Adding Canadian political cartoons from the last 24 hours :canada:

Toronto Star - Greg Perry

The Chronicle Herald - Michael de Adder

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Instead of cleaning up the mess the House makes, the filibuster just sits there, doing nothing, and that is why the filibuster should be done away with. A Good Cartoon.
If the filibuster has already cracked open the champagne, I suspect the House didn't cause all that mess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don’t know what plagiarism he’s talking about but my first thought was that unless it’s from the “I have a dream” speech, 99.99% of Americans would never know.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Trapezium Dave posted:

If the filibuster has already cracked open the champagne, I suspect the House didn't cause all that mess.

I'm being generous to Ramirez because McConnell (I think) said a few days ago that the House is given into passions and whatnot due to their short terms, and the Senate is where "cooler heads prevail" and their longer terms allow them to be more sensible and not as affected by their whims.

So even if you want to accept "the House makes messy legislation because they're just too immature" then the Senate filibuster is not a loving solution to that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don’t know what plagiarism he’s talking about but my first thought was that unless it’s from the “I have a dream” speech, 99.99% of Americans would never know.

She told some dumb "woke toddler" story about herself that was suspiciously close to an MLK anecdote.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

That was probably something that her mother actually told her because her mom read about MLK saying it 50 years earlier and gradually incorporated into her own experiences. A lot of the stuff your parents tell you about your childhood are exaggerated or misremembered.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

predicto posted:

That was probably something that her mother actually told her because her mom read about MLK saying it 50 years earlier and gradually incorporated into her own experiences. A lot of the stuff your parents tell you about your childhood are exaggerated or misremembered.

why would you give a politician the benefit of the doubt about a self-aggrandizing anecdote? way more likely she was plagiarizing. in other words:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh god this page
So we have here a white cartoonist, who often misquoted MLK to suit his agenda accuse a woman of colour in being disrespectful to King's legacy?
I'm not making any judgments on Kamala here but gently caress :tinsley:

Are they both constipated?

Lodin posted:

Good news, Vantina has decided to ditch the Norwegian and make comics in English. It's an even shittier version of Nemi. :q:
:yikes:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Lodin posted:

See, I like spiders and know the furry big guys are a bunch of softies, it is the sleek ones that are total assholes. Metaphor ruined :colbert:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

thatbastardken posted:

why would you give a politician the benefit of the doubt about a self-aggrandizing anecdote? way more likely she was plagiarizing. in other words:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

That tweet does not work that way!

Goodnight!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I gotta hand it to that goon, he really mis-used that tweet

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

If only Marx had written something with the word "Communist" in it. Perhaps some kind of manifesto?

The mental image of using the full text of Das Kapital is kind of funny though. As I remember, that thing is huge.

The audiobook of the first volume is 43 hours long.

Edit: I am very far behind on the thread, my apologies!

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 26, 2021

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I've seen some of these comics in here before, so have a voiced version:

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1353939498355326976?s=19

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That tweet does not work that way!

Goodnight!

I thought it was about giving someone terrible who doesn't deserve it the benefit of the doubt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RadicalTranslation posted:

The Chronicle Herald - Michael de Adder

That's not how economies work you dipshit.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why is coffee price not a sack of coffee beans and why is food costs not a stack of random grocery tins? It started it off well and then just turned into "gently caress it, everything is boxes"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mlnhd posted:

I thought it was about giving someone terrible who doesn't deserve it the benefit of the doubt.

Not quite; it's about how you shouldn't give otherwise awful people credit for minor virtues or successes. It's the modern "Mussolini did a lot of bad things but at least he made the trains run on time".

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

NRVNQSR posted:

Not quite; it's about how you shouldn't give otherwise awful people credit for minor virtues or successes. It's the modern "Mussolini did a lot of bad things but at least he made the trains run on time".

hmm. well fair enough, I retract the dril quote.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

That's not how economies work you dipshit.

Carbon taxes will cause gas prices to fall?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Why is coffee price not a sack of coffee beans and why is food costs not a stack of random grocery tins? It started it off well and then just turned into "gently caress it, everything is boxes"

That's what happens when you hit the cartoon's rendering budget too quickly.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I love how whenever a Jewish celebrity dies they instantly become Christian to the political cartoonist.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering Jesus was also Jewish, shouldn't the only time an obituary shows the deceased meeting Jesus be when they're Jewish?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NRVNQSR posted:

It should also be noted, like most quotes that parallel that one, that Mussolini did not make the trains run on time.

You shouldn't hand it to him even if he did, but the quote also holds the more insidious lie that fascists make capable statesmen.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 26, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Randalor posted:

Considering Jesus was also Jewish, shouldn't the only time an obituary shows the deceased meeting Jesus be when they're Jewish?

Best case, Jesus is, to the Jews, one of very many Jews with no particular significance, and more realistically, he was a dangerous heretic. In neither case should be greet anyone.

To Christians, he is the Messiah, so it makes sense to have him greet people in heaven, regardless of their actual beliefs, but because of his own religious beliefs as such, but because of his role in Christianity.

It's still disrespectful to assume non-christians go to Christian heaven.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Randalor posted:

I think this would be like if dead Catholics were greeted by Martin Luther and Jean Calvin.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It should also be noted, like most quotes that parallel that one, that Mussolini did not make the trains run on time.

You shouldn't hand it to him even if he did, but the quote also holds the more insidious lie that fascists make capable statesmen.

A few months ago I read a book called "Tearing the Silence," a collection of interviews with German baby boomers living in America, focused around how people deal with being German in a post-holocaust world.

I think at least half the interviewees either said, or quoted their family as frequently saying, some variation of "at least Hitler built the Autobahn!"

It's hosed. It's more hosed up than the Mussolini lie, I think.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nenonen posted:

I think this would be like if dead Catholics were greeted by Martin Luther and Jean Calvin.
I feel like Calvin would be very upset about Catholics going to heaven, so presumably this is actually his hell.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

This would own though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nenonen posted:

does anyone deserves to meet Martin Luther? Motherfucker went "hey my Jewish brothers and sisters would you like to hear about Christianity 2.0?" and when he didn't get a yes went :siren:all antisemitism all the time:siren:.

He was basically the psycho ex-boyfriend you stay up all night to guard against.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bartok posted:

I love how whenever a Jewish celebrity dies they instantly become Christian to the political cartoonist.

I thought that was the joke. King is saying he hasn't read Jesus's book.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I thought that was the joke. King is saying he hasn't read Jesus's book.

But the implication is that he didn't read it because he's a bad person, not because he's Jewish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

rydiafan posted:

But the implication is that he didn't read it because he's a bad person, not because he's Jewish.

Why do you think that is the implication? One's a joke, the other's insulting a well-liked dead guy for no reason.