Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

full quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1353799957548052480

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

"Needs a bailout" as in... what? I'm trying to wrap my head around the way that phrase has lost meaning to the point where it now describes uncritically how to undo a supposed feature of capitalism.

I mean (valley girl voice), like, a hedge fund is a legal bookie of sorts, that bets on companies instead of sports teams but basically still just takes calculated risks for profit, often to the, like, detriment of unwilling participants like residents or employees?
And, like, as the name implies, it safeguards its investors against big losses?
But, like, now that it failed to do that because of the (dubiously legal) actions of a third party, it ^~*needs*~^ a bailout from, like, the government, maybe?
In order to, like, stay in the business of enriching its investors by, like, making money off of having money but not, like, actually contributing to society, and even - as is often* the case - going out of their way to avoid paying, like, taxes?

Have I, like, got that right?

*citation needed

Either way: LO, like, L

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Weak womanly dog food (for dogs under 5kg)

Strong manly dog food (for dogs under 5kg)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What kind of pussy buys this crap?

Masculine cat food for a man.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume they have different prices like razors?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BonHair posted:

I assume they have different prices like razors?

You better believe it. Although the dog food for men contains significantly more fat and an entire half a gram of extra protein.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I like the dialectic of "Satisfy Their Nature" vs. "Break, Peel, and Serve"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

You better believe it. Although the dog food for men contains significantly more fat and an entire half a gram of extra protein.

It sounds like the bitch* version is the cheaper one then? That is extremely subversive!

*Sorry

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

"Needs a bailout" as in... what? I'm trying to wrap my head around the way that phrase has lost meaning to the point where it now describes uncritically how to undo a supposed feature of capitalism.

I mean (valley girl voice), like, a hedge fund is a legal bookie of sorts, that bets on companies instead of sports teams but basically still just takes calculated risks for profit, often to the, like, detriment of unwilling participants like residents or employees?
And, like, as the name implies, it safeguards its investors against big losses?
But, like, now that it failed to do that because of the (dubiously legal) actions of a third party, it ^~*needs*~^ a bailout from, like, the government, maybe?
In order to, like, stay in the business of enriching its investors by, like, making money off of having money but not, like, actually contributing to society, and even - as is often* the case - going out of their way to avoid paying, like, taxes?

Have I, like, got that right?

*citation needed

Either way: LO, like, L

in this case it's even more awesome: when you go long on a stock (just buy it and hold it) you can only lose all the money you invested, it's a gamble but there's a floor. Shorting a stock is really borrowing them and selling them immediately - but the borrowing is conditional on you pledging to buy the stock at a specified, later date, regardless of price. Your gains are whatever the stock lost in the meantime. And your potential losses are infinite, beyond what you actually have, if the stock shoots up beyond your capital.

This particular company was gambling on gamestop tanking, but WSB did enough market moves that they significantly shot the price up, and now the hedge fund has no choice but to keep paying for a stock. They haven't even fulfilled all their shorts yet and they're already bankrupt. The bailout they get will be from the parent company trying to keep them afloat, but it's gonna be even more than those 2.75 billion if it keeps up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's ok because we all know the people who feed their pets wet food as anything more than a treat are terrible pet owners anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

It's ok because we all know the people who feed their pets wet food as anything more than a treat are terrible pet owners anyway.

wät

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

full quote:

:hmmyes:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

keeping my fingers crossed this is the next bear stearns

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ekuNNN posted:

full quote:

i dont remeber the daily show being this woke

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Allow me: people who presume to own other living beings are terrible persons.

I don't actually believe this, keep your dog if you need it to herd your sheep. Keep it out of the city though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Weak womanly dog food (for dogs under 5kg)

Strong manly dog food (for dogs under 5kg)

That's the two types of animal poses on any kind of pet food or product.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ArmZ posted:

keeping my fingers crossed this is the next bear stearns

probably not, but i could see some butt hurt wall st goons lobbying the Biden administration to make it illegal to do....something

cause all those smart, and hard working taxpayer finance executives got conned by those nasty internet trolls

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

your gimmick is getting p boring lately

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

i dont remeber the daily show being this woke

landlords grow rich in their sleep. liberal landlords grow rich in their woke. make that money! - john stewart mill

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

"We are pleased to have the opportunity to invest additional capital.”

i hate these people

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Norton posted:

"We are pleased to have the opportunity to invest additional capital.”

i hate these people

im not owned! im not owned

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Imagine being an ivy league educated dipshit and getting owned by redditors. Lmfao

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Imagine being an ivy league educated dipshit and getting owned by redditors. Lmfao

lmfao

not just any redditors either, but some of the most brokebrained redditors out there

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Alobar posted:

yeah dude, gently caress customers

every single one of those fuckers

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/andyjayhawk/status/1316038292769566723

jesus loving christ lmao. i remember making jokes about suburban assault vehicles like 15 years ago

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Cadillac Childcrusher

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/andyjayhawk/status/1316038292769566723

jesus loving christ lmao. i remember making jokes about suburban assault vehicles like 15 years ago

Every single person who drives a newish Escalade/Suburban/Yukon XL (it's the same stupid vehicle Cadillac just charges extra for Chrome) is an unrepentant piece of poo poo and is probably in real estate or owns a construction company.

*picture of the guy sitting at the table with "prove me wrong"*

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

dex_sda posted:

lmfao

not just any redditors either, but some of the most brokebrained redditors out there

wow who came up with such a bad system??

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Soon, we'll need mandated front cameras as well.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Cadillac Childcrusher

the one guy i know who had a hummer h2 ran over and killed his 5 year old son while pulling into the driveway because he couldn't see him

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

pedestrian and cyclist fatalities on us roads have been going up after a half century of decline because of compensation vehicles like these and the fact that the NHTSA refuses to incorporate safety for struck pedestrians in their safety ratings of cars

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BonHair posted:

I don't actually believe this, keep your dog if you need it to herd your sheep. Keep it out of the city though.

lmao

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

BonHair posted:

Man tell it to the assholes who rewired their brains 50,000 years ago, I can't do anything about the fact that my 197x-great-granduncle created a race of lobotomized wolves that need human contact to feel happy, what are we supposed to do put them all in a zoo or do a doggie genocide or something

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

Man tell it to the assholes who rewired their brains 50,000 years ago, I can't do anything about the fact that my 197x-great-granduncle created a race of lobotomized wolves that need human contact to feel happy, what are we supposed to do put them all in a zoo or do a doggie genocide or something

That sounds like a job for the newly appointed transportation secretary!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You've clearly bought into the propaganda spread by Big Dog.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
To short a stock you have to borrow it from someone right? So, to my understanding, the market imbalance that Reddit noticed about Gamestop, that it was shorted more than the potential stock that existed, couldn't possibly happen, right?

Is that just a journalist cutting a corner in their explanation? Or is it like the subprime mortgage crisis where the authorities allowed people to create securities based on just gambling and not backed by any actual assets?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crazycryodude posted:

written like someone who's gonna go blow up the lab in Siberia doing the same thing with foxes, you better not cause they're fuckin adorable looking

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Not really gonna argue we do it, but maybe start with not breeding more of them unless you actually need them for seeing eye dogs? Just let the remainder live out their lives, but without balls.

Of course, that would eliminate the puppy mill industry, which would be Bad For The Economy™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

PostNouveau posted:

To short a stock you have to borrow it from someone right? So, to my understanding, the market imbalance that Reddit noticed about Gamestop, that it was shorted more than the potential stock that existed, couldn't possibly happen, right?

Is that just a journalist cutting a corner in their explanation? Or is it like the subprime mortgage crisis where the authorities allowed people to create securities based on just gambling and not backed by any actual assets?

The hedge funds shorting gamestop are doing naked shorts which are slightly different, a lot more risky, don't require you to back it with an actual stock, and have also been illegal since 2009 but nobody gives a poo poo about enforcing that since everybody still does it and usually it makes a lot of money

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Jan 26, 2021