Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The traditional Marxist/left alliance dominated politic in West Bengal (that's in India, west of Bangladesh) has been steadily losing to the nationalist BJP over the last decade. The left alliance in Kerala in southern tip is still holding out, since its one of the least India-like part of India.

IMO the West Bengal (and rest of the India outside of BJP's core voters, that is, outside of the super religious, Hindu speaking Gangeti plain) shifting to BJP simply because the central government finally brought development to these remote parts of India.

Also because the Congress Party has turn itself into a badly run family business. Is it me or political leaders shouldn't marry foreign wives? Chiang Ching-kuo married a Russian wife and all his children turned out to be spoiled brats. Rajiv Gandhi married an Italian and the Congress party has been going downhill for decades.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1353007339339739138

this rules

too bad their guy is such a racist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Chiang Ching-kuo married a Russian wife and all his children turned out to be spoiled brats.

are you suggesting that this is due to foreigners polluting the bloodline rather than bad parenting/roll of the genetic dice

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also because the Congress Party has turn itself into a badly run family business. Is it me or political leaders shouldn't marry foreign wives? Chiang Ching-kuo married a Russian wife and all his children turned out to be spoiled brats. Rajiv Gandhi married an Italian and the Congress party has been going downhill for decades.

Rajiv's mother began the inc's downfall and her husband was as indian as they come.

not even gonna touch the xenophobic implications

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1354052162570117121

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

The traditional Marxist/left alliance dominated politic in West Bengal (that's in India, west of Bangladesh) has been steadily losing to the nationalist BJP over the last decade. The left alliance in Kerala in southern tip is still holding out, since its one of the least India-like part of India.

IMO the West Bengal (and rest of the India outside of BJP's core voters, that is, outside of the super religious, Hindu speaking Gangeti plain) shifting to BJP simply because the central government finally brought development to these remote parts of India.

wrong on two counts. the communists in bengal lost a long time ago, not to the BJP but to a regional party (trinamool congress) which isn't ideologically comitted to the left or the right (outside of being anti communist) but is just a local patronage party. also bengal isn't "remote" its been a major part of india culturally and economically for centuries

and the bjp hasn't brought much in the way of development to them, things are pretty stagnant. they're just flooded with massive amounts of cash, which translates to lots of local muscle on the ground as well as funding for propaganda across social media and news media. the indian public is a lot more right wing than a decade ago, and its not because the bjp has been delivering economically (i'd say the opposite).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mila kunis posted:

the communists in bengal lost a long time ago

🎼 tale as old as time 🎶

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

are you suggesting that this is due to foreigners polluting the bloodline rather than bad parenting/roll of the genetic dice

I am just pointing out a coincident. Maybe it has to do with the wife not familiar with the local culture; or it may has to do with the wife not from a local political fraction and can not bridge any long term political alliance. Political marriage is pretty common both for the Republic of China era and South Asia politic. There may be examples that go the other way, although I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I don't know why people are reading xonophobic tune from my comment. Political dynasties ending sooner is a good thing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

wrong on two counts. the communists in bengal lost a long time ago, not to the BJP but to a regional party (trinamool congress) which isn't ideologically comitted to the left or the right (outside of being anti communist) but is just a local patronage party. also bengal isn't "remote" its been a major part of india culturally and economically for centuries

and the bjp hasn't brought much in the way of development to them, things are pretty stagnant. they're just flooded with massive amounts of cash, which translates to lots of local muscle on the ground as well as funding for propaganda across social media and news media. the indian public is a lot more right wing than a decade ago, and its not because the bjp has been delivering economically (i'd say the opposite).

I know Modi did deliver development in Gujarat when he was the CM in that state. I am not so familiar with other parts of India.

Are you saying BJP just buy their way into local election wins? If BJP can not push through some development, where did they get the money to spend on elections?

I may have confused West Bengal with the Naxalite infested area. I checked the map, it's slightly in the west side of West Bengal. Maybe that area is more hilly.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

Yeah i'm not quite sure where OP is getting his information from. There was a big scandal a while back that caused the communist party to fall from grace in west bengal.

The rural regions of India are very rich in natural resources but unfortunately there is a lot of corruption and for the most part the governments have exploited these regions instead of develop them. Which is why the things like the nalaxite movement gained so much steam when it did.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

If BJP can not push through some development, where did they get the money to spend on elections?

Indian oligarchs, which have been fully in the tank for the BJP and flooded them with cash after the previous Congress government had to govern in coalition with communists and they stymied a bunch of poo poo the oligarchs wanted

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

Zhang Yimou, the same director, did a movie with Christian Bale 5 years before this one bro, it's not the first

It's also really bad.

stephenthinkpad posted:

They would have turned out better if he traded them to the Soviet Union as hostages. Ironically his time in the Soviet Union and studying the CPSU gave him the ideas that reformed the Guomindang in the 50's/60's and made it into a stronger, coherent Leninist party.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

this movie was actual chinese fascism with its portrayal of proud nomadic civilizations as orcs

wrong blizzard faction. they were actually Zerg.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

The mongols were the good guys in mulan too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Chinese are clearly the Protoss

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They would have turned out better if he traded them to the Soviet Union as hostages. Ironically his time in the Soviet Union and studying the CPSU gave him the ideas that reformed the Guomindang in the 50's/60's and made it into a stronger, coherent Leninist party.

Yeah, they could have become the Theon and Yara Greyjoy of Taiwan. "What's split may never join!"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This thing is not over.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1354076627890704384?s=19

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

it's going to get interesting

THS
Sep 15, 2017

india is at a crossroads

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

go go communism

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Normally you'd be like "oh what if the fascists take over" but India is literally already led by fascists so there's nowhere to go but up

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

New swab just dropped.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Drive-thru #anal swab testing.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/SophieMak1/status/1354368064167415808

Mista Jay Cee Denton

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

The first attempt didn't go great.

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/834906937858920448?s=20
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/832673850030567425?s=20

Does stuff like Tencent financing the new Venom and Top Gun movies make those Chinese movies?

I liked this review actually. Basically it argues that The Great Wall didn't exactly indulge in the white savior narrative or whitewashing, but still contains a bunch of Orientalist tropes, and is quite mediocre despite high production values

https://twitter.com/newbloommag/status/819891764232388608

quote:

The effects in The Great Wall are all too artificial in nature. Few will think that this is a true representation of Chinese landscape. With the sheer amount of poor, wastefully expensive CGI, one is vaguely reminded of a Michael Bay film, except instead of explosions (though one has plenty of those as well), one has attempts at depicting Chinese landscapes. One is struck by the degree to which the film is evocative of a “nouveau riche” mentality that pumping money into the budget for visual effects and CGI automatically means creating beautiful and visually attractive imagery.

And where The Assassin and past Zhang films such as Hero ($31 million USD budget), House of Flying Daggers ($12 million USD budget) and Curse Of The Golden Flower ($45 million USD budget) had beautifully designed, ornate costumes as representative of aestheticized Chinese antiquity, the costumes of the Great Wall garrison troops do not impress. One is vaguely reminded of playing real-time strategy games with different troop units in the 1990s, really, with the different troops stationed along the Great Wall receiving a different color: Silver for the commands, black for the foot soldiers, red for the archers—and blue for the female spear-wielding dragoons that acrobatically dive from the Great Wall to fight the monsters as they scale the wall, wearing skintight “armor” intended to show off their figures as they gyrate through the air acrobatically.

quote:

But we may importantly note the strong element of mutual cultural stereotyping present here. William represents a Chinese stereotype of materialistic, individualistic western culture. On the other hand, Lin represents a stereotype westerners often have about Chinese, but that Chinese also often have about themselves—which is that, in contrast to the West, Chinese are group-oriented, self-sacrificing, and found their society not based on individual interest but on the collective interest.

Again, this probably returns to the nature of the film as a American-Chinese co-production (for example, in that the script was written by Hollywood script writers but the director was Zhang Yimou), in which the cultural stereotypes of westerners about Chinese and about themselves (perhaps with an element of white guilt in the latter) are merged into the cultural stereotypes of Chinese about westerners and about themselves. This is probably the most fascinating thing about the film. However, as it is a strong intent of the film to display the aesthetic grandeurs of ancient China to an international (read: western) audience, there is a large degree of apparent Orientalism present in the film’s depiction of its Chinese characters as moral exemplars, as most visible in the scene in which Lin explains the values of “xinren” (trust) which all Chinese apparently abide by. But Orientalism and self-Orientalism are not so easy to parse out in a film such as The Great Wall.

The last point reminds me of criticism of the Mulan remake

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol re-reading that review, it compares its narrative on East-West relations to this overlooked Chinese movie, and it also kinda connects to the weird anti-dynastic intermixing conversation earlier in this thread

quote:

The Great Wall also shares with Dragon Blade a historical frame narrative through the story’s claim to be one of the numerous “legends” about the Great Wall in its opening title card. But William states that his purpose in leaving is to return his friend Tovar to Europe. We can see that there is no way for him to be together with Lin, because that would be for him to “possess” her in a way. Rather, he is to keep to his own people, and enforce the proper national boundaries, it seems, in making sure that greedy Europeans as he once was do not venture to China in the hopes of plundering its riches. Indeed, interracial relationships between Chinese and westerners have certainly been something which the Chinese government has warned against in recent times, with the claim that foreigners could be spies.

Yet it seems that even with foreigners who have become “enlightened” through their encounter with Chinese civilization like William, interracial relations are still best kept away from? And that, at best, what such “enlightened” westerners should do is go back home to police the borders between the West and China? That, as China often claims in its international diplomacy, we have our own way and that you should just leave us to do it? This would be China’s so-called policy of “non-interference” in the affairs of other nation-states, never mind that this coexists with claims that China should be allowed to step into the role of the world’s superpower currently occupied by America, as we see in Dragon Blade.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

dragon blade is loving hilarious, great lovely b movie

great wall is just boring and overwrought

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

dragon blade is loving hilarious, great lovely b movie

Is it better than China Salesman? The trailer(s) is the best thing I've ever seen but I've heard that there's not much to the movie besides the big Tyson vs. Seagal fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMiaXULFpLw&t=1s

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

great wall is just boring and overwrought

Sounds like every other Zhang Yimou film.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Electronico6 posted:

Sounds like every other Zhang Yimou film.

Zhang's movie set in PRC are range from good to great, movies set in ROC period are okay, movies set in ancient China are mostly lousy, although I would call Shadow great.

Check out No One Less.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vasukhani posted:

Those countries are literally American satrapies that do not have an independent foreign policy, unlike brazil and indonesia

Sorry Brazil also is a Satrapy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do these movies make money off royalties from Douyin when their theme song gets played? Becuase if Great Wall got like $0.0001 every time its dumb song gets used in a tiktok it would have probably made billions already.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Zhang's movie set in PRC are range from good to great, movies set in ROC period are okay, movies set in ancient China are mostly lousy, although I would call Shadow great.

Check out No One Less.

I only really liked Keep it Cool and that was a contemporary film(when it was released in the 90's :v:) so you might be onto something.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Check out No One Less.

Hero and House of Flying Daggers rule, though?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think Hero has pro war message and it's not as timeless as Shadow. they all have very good action sequences. Shadow walks the fine line between fantasy and historical drama very well. Haven't seen Flying Dagger.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Jan 28, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I saw the US premiere of Shadow at the Egyptian theater in LA, I was pretty hyped and I thought it sucked & so did several filmmaker friends I went with. I saw his new movie "one second" and I didn't like it either.

Red Sorghum and Raise The Red Lantern are both set in ROC period and I would say they are some of his better films.

like a lot of Mainland directors Zhang is all over the place in quality. He was Chen Kaige's cinematographer before he became a director and his later movies are very pretentiously visual, which for Hero I liked and for Shadow I didn't like at all. maybe he should have stayed a DoP

edit: I heard a rumor that "one second" had something sensitive in its original cut so the final edit is missing part of the storyline and maybe that's why it feels kinda flat, idk

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Jan 28, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1354610588777734145
https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/1354619961709268995?s=21

WHERE'S MY loving MONEY

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Afzal4Gorton/status/1354019737114697729

This Labor MP is basically celebrating the conclusion of the first opium war

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was watching a HK peanut video and they were talking about this anniversary. It was basically the occupation of HK, cause it was 1 year before the conclusion of Opium War and the Nanking Treaty in 1842.

And they said yeah this thing was never celebrated until this year and people "have too much time on their hands".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/28/china-foreign-policy-long-telegram-anonymous-463120

what is this lmfao

I love the tradition of telling the us gov exactly what they want to hear

Edit lol

quote:

The Chinese Communist Party keenly understands Sun Tzu’s maxim that “what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy,” and the U.S. should as well.

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Jan 28, 2021