Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
90 minutes to tell everyone JK is a TERF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know nobody else here listens to 5-4 but today's episode about Morse v Frederick is taking me back in a big way. Less so in regards to the actual case and more so about that early 00s moral panic backdrop. And that same Olympic torch relay went past my middle school at one point! Simpler times.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
the only good legal podcast is alab because it claims all lawyers are nut jobs because they are

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

mcmagic posted:

90 minutes to tell everyone JK is a TERF?

yeah its a long-rear end video, but Contra does use JK's transphobia to deep dive into the demented ideology of the terf, which i found interesting as a cisperson :shrug:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pirate Jet posted:

what about Rowling needed Wynn to delay the video until after the inauguration, exactly. i am not watching the video because it is a feature-length film

She didn't want to drop a new video on a day when nobody would be paying attention.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if you missed this, it's a Cameo of sarah palin telling jim and sam to stop arguing over brie. she thinks it's about cheese

brie replied saying the video isn't funny because healthcare is life and death so the guy deleted it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thompson got it from Burgess who got it from Huxley. Alex and his droogs are drinking Moloko Dremchrom at the beginning of the story.

:nws: due to the naked statues/tables in the opening of the film, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI-mDTdeKR8

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
adrenochrome is just a naturally occurring product of Adrenalin oxidation. I guess there’s some claims kids make more of it than adults. there was a bunch of studies back when medicine was “inject a ton of bullshit into prisoners and mental patients and see what happened” that led people to believe adrenochrome could help schizophrenics.

it does not in fact help.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

i say swears online posted:

if you missed this, it's a Cameo of sarah palin telling jim and sam to stop arguing over brie. she thinks it's about cheese

brie replied saying the video isn't funny because healthcare is life and death so the guy deleted it

Jesus christ, did she really? If you are so loving mad online about a youtube slapfight that you can't find that video funny, it's time to take a step back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Equeen posted:

hmm, i don't recall her doing that in the video
Natalie Wynne is one of those Online tulpas where you just imagine someone doing something you don't like and boom, turns out they did it, in the Black Lodge where no one but you can see.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

C-Euro posted:

I know nobody else here listens to 5-4 but today's episode about Morse v Frederick is taking me back in a big way. Less so in regards to the actual case and more so about that early 00s moral panic backdrop. And that same Olympic torch relay went past my middle school at one point! Simpler times.

420 Bong Hitz 4 Jesus + "Dont Taze Me Bro" is literally all I can remember from this era.

I listened, it was a good episode (most are!)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Equeen posted:

hmm, i don't recall her doing that in the video

if she didn't, she didn't. I made it clear that I didn't watch past the intro and turned it off because sympathizing with a billionaire terf over getting cancelled by the quote unquote twitter mob is a bit too much humanizing for me to try any further.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

lol that's lame as gently caress

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

tiberion02 posted:

420 Bong Hitz 4 Jesus + "Dont Taze Me Bro" is literally all I can remember from this era.

I listened, it was a good episode (most are!)

I definitely had a shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch (remember them?) around 2001 that I was too scared to wear to school because it featured a fish drinking a beer and said "hook into a cold one today!" and I didn't want to get in trouble. It might still be at my parents' house somewhere, I should see how well it hangs in 2021 lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

the only good legal podcast is alab because it claims all lawyers are nut jobs because they are

The three week late discussion on the capitol riots was really fun. The callback to the Michigan governor kidnappers and posting the specific elements of the offense and insisting that "yes, I did in fact explicitly take these actions" on social media just :kiss:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I definitely had a shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch (remember them?) around 2001 that I was too scared to wear to school because it featured a fish drinking a beer and said "hook into a cold one today!" and I didn't want to get in trouble. It might still be at my parents' house somewhere, I should see how well it hangs in 2021 lol

i went to a high school where that was one of the few acceptable brands to wear. i bought a sweater off the discount rack and wore that every day i could. it ended up lasting sixteen years and i donated it because it was too big, not worn out

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Gripweed posted:

She didn't want to drop a new video on a day when nobody would be paying attention.

Which she stated in a very "painterly" way. Given she takes ages to produce a video, it would suck If it got overshadowed by anything going on said event and was somewhat forgotten.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
shoutouts to portuguese goons, where matt talks about that awful american conservative piece about salazar, 26 mins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIvFg-_oskM

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the bad guy from resident evil 4?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Jesus christ, did she really? If you are so loving mad online about a youtube slapfight that you can't find that video funny, it's time to take a step back.

the actual funny thing here is that someone paid Sarah Palin to make a video like the Fortnite credit card guy

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Gripweed posted:

Finally, something new to argue about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gDKbT_l2us

Jesuses Christ an hour and half.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

crepeface posted:

lol in 6 months brie's going to join the ypg

if BJG joins the YPG at this point I will be forced to admit that the anti-FTV people calling her COINTELPRO were right somehow

lol lot of acronyms in this post

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Attention! Calling all epic leftists! It's time to rise and grind- Bernie Sanders is in grave danger. Our friend is trapped in the DNC surrounded by fake progressives with no Medicare for All or Green New Deal, and the only one who can help is you to save him. What he needs is your credit card number, the three numbers on the back as well as the expiration month and date. Be swift leftists! You gotta do it- the primaries are starting, and Bernie needs your assistance fast, so that he can acquire that email list, nae nae on those Suck Zone Democrats, and achieve a sick party nomination! Yeah

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the DYPG, or Da Yoopers People's Group, the intransigent force of the UP,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

if BJG joins the YPG at this point I will be forced to admit that the anti-FTV people calling her COINTELPRO were right somehow

lol lot of acronyms in this post

Who called her COINTELPRO lol

Just the people who call everything an op?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

shoutouts to portuguese goons, where matt talks about that awful american conservative piece about salazar, 26 mins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIvFg-_oskM

I get the feeling there might be a crossover between thoughts bc right now some pundits are trying to blame (more like kind of endorse) the fascist candidate getting 3rd place on communists and leftists voting for him, even if nearly all of the votes are from centre right voters and an enviro party.

And before the dumbest people alive go here: no, the fascist candidate did not endorse in any way some sort of socially mobile measure or helped in some way their community around them.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the bad guy from resident evil 4?
sort of, but not as cool nor with a detachable right hand

Kunster posted:

I get the feeling there might be a crossover between thoughts bc right now some pundits are trying to blame (more like kind of endorse) the fascist candidate getting 3rd place on communists and leftists voting for him, even if nearly all of the votes are from centre right voters and an enviro party.

And before the dumbest people alive go here: no, the fascist candidate did not endorse in any way some sort of socially mobile measure or helped in some way their community around them.
I think it's more about how salazar wasnt vulgar unlike trump, so when american conservatives turn to the old continent for some role model they found one that's still untapped

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Natalie Wynne is one of those Online tulpas where you just imagine someone doing something you don't like and boom, turns out they did it, in the Black Lodge where no one but you can see.

This explains why I'm the only one who remembers that video she made about how cool it is to leave wet towels in a heap on the floor instead of hanging them up

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

it's time to will into existence "The Totino's-ization of Dinner" and spare 45 minutes to a deep-minded discussion on the societal construct of the chicken nugget

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honest Thief posted:

I think it's more about how salazar wasnt vulgar unlike trump, so when american conservatives turn to the old continent for some role model they found one that's still untapped

amcon is rod dreher's piece so id say its more that salazar was big into christianity and his crimes are less well-known that franco

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I will succ this entire thread if one of you can dig up this video somehow. tia

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

amcon is rod dreher's piece so id say its more that salazar was big into christianity and his crimes are less well-known that franco

Catholic actually, isn't that complicated for American conservatives?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

White Catholics in the US are basically Protestants at this point. The anti-abortion movement has done a lot to blur the lines between denominations that participate.

I don't think it's directly related to race, it's just that the US is so segregated that lots of parishes only serve one sort of community. Parishes with non-white congregations tend to have other more immediate "social justice" issues they focus on like immigration.

Edit: I forgot about how Catholic Schools were used to get around school desegregation policies in Northern cities for decades. It is related to race too.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Jan 26, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The right draws support from evangelical Protestants who, last I checked, maintain a paranoid hatred of Catholics. I wonder how much that affects right-wing power brokerage if it does at all.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The right draws support from evangelical Protestants who, last I checked, maintain a paranoid hatred of Catholics. I wonder how much that affects right-wing power brokerage if it does at all.

there's zero theological coherence among evangelicals these days, it's entirely a political project. same reason conservative catholics are functionally evangelicals these days

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Cool, I'll go door to door telling this to trump supporting the catholics in my neighborhood.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Heres a tip for the euros: American Christianity of most flavors has nothing to do with Christianity in the rest of the world. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit have been replaced with God, America and Capitalism, which are all the same thing.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's even less a nebulous God and more "our collective will, enforced, unchallenged"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

Heres a tip for the euros: American Christianity of most flavors has nothing to do with Christianity in the rest of the world. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit have been replaced with God, America and Capitalism, which are all the same thing.

God, America, and Capitalism are not all the same thing - they're of one substance, you Monophysite.