Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Keromaru5 posted:

After the Super-mullet, everyone at the Planet decided anything goes.

(I actually kinda liked Superman with long hair a little, but I never really missed it, either.)

It's a great look for callbacks and and poo poo, like if the story has Superman stuck in an alternate dimension for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Unfortunately the internet is gonna internet and creepy stalkers drove her off social media and possibly the industry as well.

Wow gently caress that. Vayntrub seems to be a great person who is highly active in the fight for immigration justice. She absolutely does not deserve to be creeped on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TwoPair posted:

you know what you're doing, Fiona Staples. From Joker 80th Anniversary Special
not joker's greatest boner, but it's up there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wow gently caress that. Vayntrub seems to be a great person who is highly active in the fight for immigration justice. She absolutely does not deserve to be creeped on.

She's really funny, too :( She wouldn't be my first pick for Squirrel Girl, but I was pretty stoked to see her in a big role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keromaru5 posted:

After the Super-mullet, everyone at the Planet decided anything goes.

(I actually kinda liked Superman with long hair a little, but I never really missed it, either.)

I thought it was cute that Clark had a lame yoga teacher ponytail and Superman had rad free flowing long hair. I don't know if it was really a mullet though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It wasn't supposed to be a mullet but too many artists couldn't seem to figure it out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #4 (2009)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghostlight posted:

not joker's greatest boner, but it's up there.

Fantastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It wasn't supposed to be a mullet but too many artists couldn't seem to figure it out.

Yeah, it was general 90s long hair. See also, most popular rock bands from that era.

Or me since quarantine started last March.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There are 2 types of popular isekai/reincarnation manga atm.

One basically has the protaganist reincarnate into a new world, generally with some overpowered magic.
The other has them reincarnate as the villain in the story who is fated to die/receive a Bad End

The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #31 (1942)

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

CzarChasm posted:

Looks like Death of Superman era art, but that's the best I can do.

ED: Oh hey, look at that, it's Zero Hour

Whoever was writing Superman at the time was really into 80s/90s electro, post-punk, and industrial-ish stuff. I remember long-hair Clark going through Jimmy''s CD collection and referencing Shriekback at one point.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Whoever was writing Superman at the time was really into 80s/90s electro, post-punk, and industrial-ish stuff. I remember long-hair Clark going through Jimmy''s CD collection and referencing Shriekback at one point.

Poor Clark. Shriekback was all 2000ad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Whiz Comics #31 (1942)

Wasn't Captain Marvel 12 years old?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wasn't Captain Marvel 12 years old?

Captain Marvel in the golden age wasn't the same person as Billy Batson. They thought about each other in the third person. It wasn't 100% consistent , but the best stories have them as distinct characters and Billy is summoning Captain Marvel by saying Shazam rather than turning into him.

I capitalized "Shazam", then thought that it shouldn't be since it's just a magic word, and then remembered it's a name so it should be. Comic books are confusing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Captain Marvel in the golden age wasn't the same person as Billy Batson. They thought about each other in the third person. It wasn't 100% consistent , but the best stories have them as distinct characters and Billy is summoning Captain Marvel by saying Shazam rather than turning into him.

Oh OK, I've only read like two (American) Captain Marvel stories and I don't think it really came up in them.

I just thought it would explain his "oh no a GIRL" thought to some extent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Whiz Comics #31 (1942)

So this is an example of how phrases change over time. While there were recorded uses of the phrase "making love" as a euphemism for sex in the 20s at the time it was more commonly used for something closer to flirting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Random Stranger posted:

I capitalized "Shazam", then thought that it shouldn't be since it's just a magic word, and then remembered it's a name so it should be. Comic books are confusing.
It's really seven names, so it should all be capitalised :wink:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

It's really seven names, so it should all be capitalised :wink:

It's fourteen names that we know of (and possibly a lot more) because Shazam definitely picked them out to make the acronym fit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Miracleman of course had the most interesting version of this dichotomy, where they start out thinking of each other as one person, but Miracleman's enhanced super-mind has such different thought patterns than his civilian identity that they end up being so different they literally do not understand each other.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

muscles like this! posted:

So this is an example of how phrases change over time. While there were recorded uses of the phrase "making love" as a euphemism for sex in the 20s at the time it was more commonly used for something closer to flirting.

Where's an etymologist when you need one, cause I'd really like to know when this changed.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

There's a funny take on this in Calvin and Hobbes as well that I can't find at the moment!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Miracleman of course had the most interesting version of this dichotomy, where they start out thinking of each other as one person, but Miracleman's enhanced super-mind has such different thought patterns than his civilian identity that they end up being so different they literally do not understand each other.

miracleman is pretty next-level

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Technically, the word Billy says is an acronym, so it should stylized "SHAZAM" (or perhaps "S.H.A.Z.A.M." if you have a weirdo styleguide). Even more technically, it's a backronym since Shazam worked backwards from his name.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Endless Mike posted:

Technically, the word Billy says is an acronym, so it should stylized "SHAZAM" (or perhaps "S.H.A.Z.A.M." if you have a weirdo styleguide). Even more technically, it's a backronym since Shazam worked backwards from his name.

Exactly. The invocation is SHAZAM. The wizard's name is Shazam. Capitalization depends on which you mean.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

miracleman is pretty next-level

Alan Moore writes good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ManiacClown posted:

Exactly. The invocation is SHAZAM. The wizard's name is Shazam. Capitalization depends on which you mean.

So... who's Bazinga?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They did a similar joke for the Caped Madman in J-Men Forever, whose invocation is "SHBOOM." I forget most of the acronym (and crap, I can't find my DVD!), but the first O is for Obnoxious, the second for Double Obnoxious, and M for Mean.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #23 (1977)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darthemed posted:

He's so happy. It's great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

What about when Gomer Pile says it?

We're going to work out the complete shazam/Shazam/SHAZAM style guide here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Samovar posted:

Where's an etymologist when you need one, cause I'd really like to know when this changed.

I'd assume it was using the 'flirting' meaning as a euphemism and that spread to the point where it became the primary usage. Basically the same way gay came to mean same-sex attraction instead of joyful.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So... who's Bazinga?

A corruption of Ben Ghazi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wasn't there a Scooby-Doo crossover where JINKIES and ZOINKS were magic words?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't there a Scooby-Doo crossover where JINKIES and ZOINKS were magic words?

Yes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

What about when Gomer Pile says it?

We're going to work out the complete shazam/Shazam/SHAZAM style guide here.

Gonna depend on context, but the only time I can see the lower-case S is when it's used is as an interjection, and sticking that in the middle or end of a sentence would be weird, but I guess it's possible. All-caps for the acronym when discussing the invocation, upper-case S when discussing the wizard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

What about when used as a Verb?
Like "I didn't know what song played in that film, so I shazamed it."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

That is the face of a man who stole forty cakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume it was using the 'flirting' meaning as a euphemism and that spread to the point where it became the primary usage. Basically the same way gay came to mean same-sex attraction instead of joyful.

Yeah, I get that, I was more wondering when.