Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A 2.5d zelda side scroller would actually be pretty boss.

Adventures of Link 2 is my dream game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

No. More. Alternate. Timeline. Bullshit.

Puh-LEEZE.
I don't know how you're supposedly so exhausted by alternate timelines when the topic gets brought up in the actual games themselves literally never

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Age of Calamity just came out

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
To me playing a Zelda game for story is like training a pelican to catch fish for you; it's a lot of effort for precious little reward that could be had much more easily elsewhere.

On the subject of remakes, and I can't believe that I forgot this, but I badly want a single-cart remake of Oracle of Ages & Seasons in the vein of Awakening. I bought the LA remake right as it came out, which is unusual for me. It was an import copy because I was delighted with the Switch not being region-locked, and it really showed me how badly I wanted to see an integrated update of the Oracle games without the convoluted password nonsense.

Twelve by Pies posted:

A lot of people didn't like starting as Yoshi and having to unlock Mario.

While you may view it as kind of a small complaint, it is true that the character switching added a bit of an annoyance since only Wario could use metal power, only Luigi could use vanish power, and so on, so you can't just jump into a level and play it at your leisure, you have to go and run to the character switching room to get the right character to do a star. This also resulted in one star in the DS version being changed slightly (Collect the Caps in Dire Dire Docks) due to not being able to combine the vanish and metal caps like in the original.

Those are good points; fair play to you. To me the not starting with Mario thing is just fan whining. However, if I had to do it myself I would have made Mario the starter and his friends the rescued ones because I know how people are. The character switching mechanic is a bit tedious, I will grant you that, but it is very funny to me that Luigi and, to a lesser extent Yoshi, are by far the best characters in the game due to their jumping and hovering tools.

A lot of people slag off the controls in that game, but they were very well done for a directional cross and work very well for later analogue sticks as well. There is a video online about it called Remake or Rebreak, and the author did fantastic work on it. I also realise that a mobile version of an iconic console game is just never going to get the same credit as the original - nostalgia is a hell of a drug. If you think about it though, it happens all the time... US Mario 2, Mario World and Mario 3 all had superior mobile remakes but the originals get much more attention.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Rj9mHj79E

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Age of Calamity just came out

Sure but are there any zelda games soon

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Bloop posted:

Sure but are there any zelda games soon

Only link games allowed sorry

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zelda is the boy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All characters in the next game are genderless spheres

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'd be cool with a Zelda game starring Kirby, tbh.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Reminds me, I once mentioned to a friend of a friend that I would like to see an LoZ game where something happens to upset the usual prophecy, and this time Zelda has to stop Link who has been corrupted by the Triforce of Power, or something similar. This guy started shouting at me about how I was not respecting the lore lmao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

the joycons have a hell of a lot better motions sensing tech than the wiimote ever had, as they should since they're a full ten years newer

Bongo Bill posted:

The Switch lacks a front IR sensor / IR emitter pair like the Wii had, but Skyward Sword didn't use the IR sensor

Skyward Sword actually did use the sensor bar, it would recalibrate the position of the Wiimote. There's no way to actually track 1:1 movement with the tech of Wii Motion+ or the Joycons (the Joycons are able to do it in the VR labo kit, but that's because it's using the IR camera to just distance and angle from the VR marker on the elephant head you build, it's primitive), and without the sensor bar the controls would suffer from drifting issues.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

sigher posted:

Skyward Sword actually did use the sensor bar, it would recalibrate the position of the Wiimote. There's no way to actually track 1:1 movement with the tech of Wii Motion+ or the Joycons (the Joycons are able to do it in the VR labo kit, but that's because it's using the IR camera to just distance and angle from the VR marker on the elephant head you build, it's primitive), and without the sensor bar the controls would suffer from drifting issues.

Didn't you also use the pointer for the bow in SS? And yeah, the joycons have noticable drift that is especially bad on something like the remaster of TWEWY, I could barely stand it in console mode while handheld was significantly easier to play to the point it felt like cheating by comparison.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fake James posted:

Reminds me, I once mentioned to a friend of a friend that I would like to see an LoZ game where something happens to upset the usual prophecy, and this time Zelda has to stop Link who has been corrupted by the Triforce of Power, or something similar. This guy started shouting at me about how I was not respecting the lore lmao

While I loved Breath of the Wild, I was let down by the story because I was convinced "the prophecy was wrong" was going to be revealed for like 75% of the game. Zelda's ritual at the spring of Wisdom didn't work because she's not actually Wisdom! Ganon learned how to control the guardians because he's Wisdom this time!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Linkle game where you rescue a hapless Prince Zeldo when

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Bloop posted:

All characters in the next game are genderless spheres

This is cube erasure

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tender Bender posted:

While I loved Breath of the Wild, I was let down by the story because I was convinced "the prophecy was wrong" was going to be revealed for like 75% of the game. Zelda's ritual at the spring of Wisdom didn't work because she's not actually Wisdom! Ganon learned how to control the guardians because he's Wisdom this time!

Same here, and playing Age of Calamity only further convinced me that this should have been the case. Zelda sure acts more like she has the Triforce of Courage, not Wisdom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

She went to all three springs, though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I do want to see the era the Guardians are from, when they popped Ganon like a loving grape the moment he showed up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

This is cube erasure

your mother has vertices

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone tried playing The Missing Link? I've been enjoying it but the Stalfos fight causes the game to lock up once I beat it. I can't find anything about this online, maybe it's because I'm using RetroArch to emulate it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just remembered this... has anyone played Mystery of Solarus? It was basically the sequel to Link to the Past. At first it was only in French - they even did a full-colour .pdf strategy guide for it - but they translated it somewhat recently.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fake James posted:

That almost sort of happens in Hyrule Warriors, after Link gets the Master Sword he becomes a cocky rear end in a top hat who thinks he's unbeatable and just rushes into battle without any strategy or regard for his allies. Then Cia traps him and he nearly gets defeated before his friends run in and save him and he chills out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish Hyrule Warriors had a scenario where Link defected to Cia and became her boytoy or something

crazy hot witch madly in love with me, hell yeah, where do I sign up .... what's a "Yandere"?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ardryn posted:

Didn't you also use the pointer for the bow in SS?
no, it mimics the pointer function via gyroscope

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hyrule Warriors report: still have, by my count, 47 plus-level weapons to get :negative:

Some of these scenarios are really challenging, not in the sense that I'll actually get killed most of the time, but completing the objectives in time for an A ranking (or in some cases, at all) really demands a little extra. Been relying a lot lately on the Weak Point Smasher potion from the apothecary. Even then, just tonight I finished 2 levels with under 30 seconds on the clock for the A.

Game good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the fall I spent an afternoon looking through the 3DS games and Wind Waker in noclip. Here are galleries of "postcards" I saved as backgrounds for fun:

https://imgur.com/gallery/w9NKKuI - Ocarina
https://imgur.com/gallery/RuMMzMy - Majora
https://imgur.com/gallery/A5RoypY - Wind Waker

Twilight Princess still rendered oddly in noclip and didn't look very much like it does in-game yet (lighting etc.) but maybe that's changed now.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Electromax posted:

In the fall I spent an afternoon looking through the 3DS games and Wind Waker in noclip. Here are galleries of "postcards" I saved as backgrounds for fun:

Twilight Princess still rendered oddly in noclip and didn't look very much like it does in-game yet (lighting etc.) but maybe that's changed now.

wow majora's mask truly is the greatest game ever made

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

She went to all three springs, though.

Right - I think the Wisdom spring aftermath was one of the first flashbacks I saw, so I thought "Ah, a clue!" and went on to assume the flashbacks were going to slowly reveal a secret as I found them all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly in BotW Zelda appears to just have the full Triforce. Neither Link nor Calamity Ganon ever get the glowy hand sigil they usually use to show that they have Courage/Power while Zelda gets it in full instead of just having one of the triangles.

The specific thing where the Triforce is split between Zelda/Link/Ganon only even shows up in Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker. Most of the other games featuring the Triforce have it as a singular thing. Like in LttP and the original LoZ Ganon has the full Triforce, Link goes through trials to obtain the full thing in Skyward Sword, its the impetus for the Oracle games etc.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electromax posted:

I don't really know why but the pre-rendered shots of the Temple of Time are one of my favorite assets from any game ever. Which is weird because it's so bland. Maybe when I first saw it I just thought it was so realistic and it left this really weird impression on me.

Seeing the 3ds version recreate the pre-rendered shots with their models fits the game so much better but also breaks my heart a bit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

romanowski posted:

wow majora's mask truly is the greatest game ever made

You got that right.

I finished up The Missing Link, it's pretty good but really short. The environments are the best part, they feel perfectly detailed to fit the N64 look even if they're kinda claustrophobic. The music is really lacking, and some of the mechanics could use work and the ending just feels really abrupt. Overall, a fun little couple hours that explains Link's journey between OoT and MM. I also like that they explain why the Kokiri sword changed visually between the two titles. Nice little touch. I didn't finish it 100%, not sure how much more content there really is beyond the story and single dungeon but there was an item I got that one character asked for and I never returned to them. Probably just a heart piece. Gonna mop it up today.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I started Ocean's Heart and got through the intro. Some Wind Waker vibes to the setup, but the jankiness I saw in the trailer is definitely still here.

The sword does not feel good. When you line up so you swing through two bushes, only one is cut. It's a white blur, doesn't look like you're swinging an object so much as the animation is just popping up in front of you. Enemy hitboxes feel poorly conveyed, and I'm flashing back to Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King doing Zelda gameplay MUCH better.

Character writing is also unimpressive so far. It feels like they stripped things down as much as possible, so they could get the intro over with. Main char is a teeny bit obnoxious in dialogue, but there's room for growth and the family you meet at the start seemed reasonably likeable. Bad guys did stuff in intro, but it all happened off camera. Seems like a missed opportunity, perhaps some cut corners.

Still, I had some fun with the first mini-dungeon, and will revisit the game again when I have free time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol pc is gonna get the skyward sword remaster before the switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtsnurR4_u8

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The fact that we haven't gotten a Zelda Maker in the same style as Mario Maker yet is downright criminal.

superjew posted:

Twilight Princess fulfilled the OoT remake/sequel itch for me. I listen to the Tandem Legends podcast and they're just now playing through TP, and they do a great job of noting and connecting the details that set that game in its particular timeline after OoT. The way it also is tied to MM is bananas and I'm very excited to play through it again, hopefully on a re-release this year.

It's been a long while since I've played either game, so how does TP connect to MM?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vandar posted:

The fact that we haven't gotten a Zelda Maker in the same style as Mario Maker yet is downright criminal.

I had such hopes they'd release a version of that Zelda 1-styled prototype of BotW they used for testing - they showed bits of it sometimes in the making-of videos and I WANT IT.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vandar posted:

Nah a key part of Mario Maker is that making a Mario level ca be made very simple and game-like. You paint level features, put Mario down.

With Zelda you have overworlds, dungeons, tons of possible items combinations etc. You could make a Zelda Maker but it would be a much more complicated product with a steeper learning curve and I don't know if Nintendo wants that.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Clearly none of you wanting Zelda maker have played the Links Awakening remake.
:smug:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I think most people's idea of a "Zelda Maker" is really just a dungeon maker, which I think is entirely feasible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vandar posted:

It's been a long while since I've played either game, so how does TP connect to MM?

Skull Kid shows up in it as part of the test to get the Master Sword I guess?

I think there's some developer commentary that its supposed to be THE Skull Kid who stole the Ocarina of Time and did all the Termina nonsense.