Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

AirRaid posted:

CP was part of my decision to upgrade when I did, and I am happy with the result, on a 3080. It mostly brute forces any optimisation issues and lets me play with all the bells and whistles.

This was the case for me. I didn't upgrade solely because of the game but it did largely dictate when I did and it worked out great. Started the game with a 3070 and finished with a 3080. What made me realize my i5-7600k /1060 6gb build was getting long in the tooth was having to turn down settings on RDR2 in 1080p. Moving into a new place and getting a 4k/120hz tv shortly before Cyberpunk's release also made it easier to just do a full blown upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m playing CP2077 with a 3080 and while it does look nice with RTX, the DLSS implementation has MUCH to be desired at 1440p, even with the usual suspects like motion blur and chromatic aberration disabled. Coming off of any other game it’s going to look like a blurry mess. Sharpening filters help but they can’t solve everything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AirRaid posted:

CP was part of my decision to upgrade when I did, and I am happy with the result, on a 3080. It mostly brute forces any optimisation issues and lets me play with all the bells and whistles.

I do feel sorry for the people who were buying 2070s a year ago in prep for it tho. Upgrading specifically for a game is a risky business if the release date has potential to move. I remember a similar situation with Doom 3, loads of people jumped on the GeForce 3 to be ready with pixel shaders, and Doom 3 slipped enough the GeForce 4's were out before the game was. "Slipped" is a bit of a misnomer because id never gave a date until it was ready, and then they kept to that date, but still. Doom 3 was a huge part of the GF3 marketing.

Radeon 9800 pro with questionably modified drivers by random people on the internet was where it was at :colbert:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 26, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was hoping I'd get lucky on this Tuesday and snag one if they unexpectedly listed some cards when nobody was looking but it's looking increasingly likely that it's not happening :smith:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bloopsy posted:

What made me realize my i5-7600k /1060 6gb build was getting long in the tooth was having to turn down settings on RDR2 in 1080p.

CP is the first game that has given my 8600k serious trouble, so I’ll be replacing that soon. Going to involve a new motherboard too tho, and probably new ram. And probably a case. Gonna add up fast.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mobile 3080 benchmarks are finally dropping today at various outlets and it looks like performance is in line with the desktop 3060 ti: https://www.theverge.com/22248630/msi-gs66-stealth-2021-review-rtx-3080-nvidia-qhd-1440p-gaming-laptop

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Does anyone know if the HP Omen 30L series uses reference 3080/3090 cards?

The scalper prices are so high that some prebuilt computers are a cheaper way to get the parts... if they’re the parts you want.

However, I want to put a waterblock on whatever graphics card I get, so would need to know if they’d be compatible in the first place or if they’re some weird custom/proprietary garbage that would turn out to be an expensive blunder.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's a lot of dies

https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/1354103878426324994

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

AirRaid posted:

I do feel sorry for the people who were buying 2070s a year ago in prep for it tho. Upgrading specifically for a game is a risky business if the release date has potential to move. I remember a similar situation with Doom 3, loads of people jumped on the GeForce 3 to be ready with pixel shaders, and Doom 3 slipped enough the GeForce 4's were out before the game was. "Slipped" is a bit of a misnomer because id never gave a date until it was ready, and then they kept to that date, but still. Doom 3 was a huge part of the GF3 marketing.

I didn't upgrade to a GF3 for Doom3, because I wait until games are actually close to launch, but I upgraded to a 6800GT for Doom 3 and then wished I hadn't for a while because I wasn't aware it was going to be a first-person Resident Evil instead of the testosterone gutbomb that every other Doom has been.

Also that card's viability outlasted the AGP socket lmao.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My kid spilled soup on his 1050ti while it was running. I cleaned the pcb as well as I could. Trying to boot it in another system and the fans spin up but a blank screen. Anything else I can try before I chuck it?

The rest of his pc except the ram and power supply was fried.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
got my poo poo, hallelujah no lips

wow this thing has loud fans compared to the strix 1080 it replaced.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 26, 2021

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

wow this thing has loud fans compared to the strix 1080 it replaced.

I have the same card and can verify that yes it is a good card but is loud as hell.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

What does this mean?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bad Munki posted:

What does this mean?

https://twitter.com/1stPlayerz/status/1345140325690568707

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hahaha, okay. Was worried there was a common manufacturing defect or something.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Withnail posted:

My kid spilled soup on his 1050ti while it was running. I cleaned the pcb as well as I could. Trying to boot it in another system and the fans spin up but a blank screen. Anything else I can try before I chuck it?

I'm afraid the magic smoke's been let out. If it took out the rest of the PC too, that's an expensive mistake I hope he learns from.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You could try the old "bake the dying GPU in an oven" trick, which I have never done myself.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clean it with isopropyl alcohol and let it air dry.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Romes128 posted:

Clean it with isopropyl alcohol and let it air dry.

This. Disassemble as much of it as you can (figure out how the HSF comes off), clean it as best you can, and then let it dry for 24hrs. If you/he didn't hear any popping noises or see/smell smoke when the soup hit the fan, so to speak, there's a chance it might still live, but not a particularly good chance.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Is it bad form if I ask what kind of soup?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Withnail posted:

How does one spill soup on their pc?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Be an actor in a “there has to be a better way” commercial?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've been thinking of moving my PC onto a shorter table next to my desk to free up space, I could definitely see how liquid could get in the top that way. Or if it was on the floor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My case has a whole bunch of vent holes at the top, I suppose one misplaced bowl of soup could destroy my entire system. But what good is PC gaming if you can't live on the edge.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What kind of soup was it? This is important.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bloopsy posted:

I have the same card and can verify that yes it is a good card but is loud as hell.

Yeah, def play with the fancurves in X1. They are set too aggressively imo.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I joined the newegg shuffle today. Signed up for a 3070. I regret not also signing up for a 3090, but I guess you can't change it after the fact.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zotix posted:

I joined the newegg shuffle today. Signed up for a 3070. I regret not also signing up for a 3090, but I guess you can't change it after the fact.

They want nearly $2000 for the EVGA 3090 when the MSRP is $1869. Just because.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Cygni posted:

Yeah, def play with the fancurves in X1. They are set too aggressively imo.

Definitely just installing and running precision fixed it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Banzai 3 posted:

Is it bad form if I ask what kind of soup?

Intelian wetting

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I backordered a 3080 TUF non OC from my local friendly amazon for like €800 back in october. Was as good a deal as it got in this hellscape.

After 3 months of waiting I thought it would never be delivered and just quietly cancelled... but lo today as they just charged me and sent the drat thing from a warehouse in germany. Yay.

I'm more relieved than happy to get off this ride.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 26, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How long do the tariffs-caused price increases last? Is that just something that’ll inflate MSRP of all future series GPUs going forward, until a tariff changes/gets removed?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

buglord posted:

How long do the tariffs-caused price increases last? Is that just something that’ll inflate MSRP of all future series GPUs going forward, until a tariff changes/gets removed?

Yes.

Biden can get rid of it whenever he wants.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
It's specifically on Chinese products and Nvidia's/AMD's chips are not made in China so it is possible for them to be avoided in the future. It's the kind of thing that takes time, though

Biden isn't dropping the tariffs any time soon: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-technology-beijing-global-trade-22f525e41676d4e6abf96f3ca9255d15

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 26, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

It's specifically on Chinese exports and Nvidia's chips are not made in China so it is possible for them to be avoided in the future. It's the kind of thing that takes time, though

Biden isn't dropping the tariffs any time soon: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-technology-beijing-global-trade-22f525e41676d4e6abf96f3ca9255d15

I assume quite a few graphics cards are made in China, though - even with Nvidia chips. It certainly means smaller manufacturing capacity and more inefficiency, which will result in a permanent price premium for components in the US.

But I assume Biden is going to remove the tariffs, as they are a drag on the US economy it really doesn't need right now.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

What kind of soup was it? This is important.

Top Ramen. If you are going to kill electronics do it with the cheapest food possible. I could still smell it when I was swabbing the gpu with alcohol.

I giving him my pc and building a new one, but now I'm short a gpu and get to f5 along with everyone else.

I also built a (hopefully) spill proof desk for him.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Malloc Voidstar posted:

It's specifically on Chinese products and Nvidia's/AMD's chips are not made in China so it is possible for them to be avoided in the future. It's the kind of thing that takes time, though

The 3080 FE board is stamped "Made in China" so even if the processor dies themselves are made in Taiwan / SKorea, the assembly into a card still happens in China. As such I'm not sure how they're avoiding raising prices, or if they're just trying to hold off as long as possible while the AIBs jumped on it immediately in an effort to assist what they had been complaining were already razor thin profit margins on Ampere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EngineerJoe posted:

be a teenager

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

When I was a student in like - 2010? - I wrecked the first PC I'd ever built, because I was coming back from McDonalds, a little high, and I tripped over my ethernet cable on the way back into my room. My diet coke flew out of my hand, and I watched helplessly as it rotated in the air in slow motion, the lid flew off, and the whole thing landed upside down directly over the top case fan. It was switched on and died instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm 30 and spilled an entire can of beer on my desk just a week ago, it's really not that hard