Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

Roach clearly has the ability to teleport through space though, Wild Hunt should just be trying to capture him.

There is a very plausible explanation that fits with the lore - Roach is a descendant of unicorns and they can literally bend time and space. An entire line of horses has been created to help Geralt but limit their powers to simply show up near him and nothing more as a display of power while refusing to do anything more than what an ordinary horse could perform to avoid disrupting the balance of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

treat posted:

Like just about any path you might travel, but moving by quite quickly.

Well, until they collide with the first fence, stone wall, signpost, wagon, siege engine, or other obstacle you come across.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

PittTheElder posted:

Roach clearly has the ability to teleport through space though, Wild Hunt should just be trying to capture him.

Her

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Does anyone still play this game actively?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

lite_sleepr posted:

I've been slowly hacking away at the Switch version, despite putting in 150 hours on PC and just about doing everything (sans Skellige question marks). It's fun trying to do a rend build this time, although I still couldn't resist dipping into alchemy for some strong decoction support.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

ill be doing a fresh playthrough when they eventually update it for ps5

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm still finishing up my second playthrough to get a different ending. At some point I'll do the expansions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

lite_sleepr posted:

I am, though I had no exposure to the series until the Netflix show, so it's pretty fresh to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

lite_sleepr posted:

I’m about 65 hours deep into my fifth play through. It’s still my favorite game ever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lite_sleepr posted:

I wrapped up a playthrough before cyberpunk came out, and with that being a dud, I will be starting the NG+ from that playthrough at some point, probably with the update that is in the works. its my favorite game of all time, and i will not stop playing it any time soon.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup, just got out of White Orchard. I never got a chance to try the DLCs, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah I'm waiting to see what the update brings and whether my aging computer can actually use it, but I plan another playthrough, probably a trilogy playthrough even, at some point this year.
I love this series a lot.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I hadn't actually heard of this upcoming update, is it just technical improvements? I recently played up through the first dungeon quest with Keira and was on my way to the Bloody Baron before dropping the game, and previously only played through White Orchard. I just don't have the time or attention span for games longer than 4 or 5 hours. There's no way I restart the game again, is it safe to assume saves will be compatible?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Picked up The Last Wish at the book store. Haven't started it yet but I'm curious to see how it compares to the Netflix show, which I wasn't that into.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

treat posted:

I hadn't actually heard of this upcoming update, is it just technical improvements? I recently played up through the first dungeon quest with Keira and was on my way to the Bloody Baron before dropping the game, and previously only played through White Orchard. I just don't have the time or attention span for games longer than 4 or 5 hours. There's no way I restart the game again, is it safe to assume saves will be compatible?

Yeah it looks like it's entirely a technical update, to support the new consoles and to add graphics improvements for PC by the looks of things.

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation

It's going to be free for anyone who already owns it, so I don't expect narrative changes or additions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

White Coke posted:

Picked up The Last Wish at the book store. Haven't started it yet but I'm curious to see how it compares to the Netflix show, which I wasn't that into.

Don't know what your home language is but if its the English edition be prepared for a bit of jank in the translation. Danusia Stok did the translation for Last Wish, Blood of Elves and I think Time of Contempt and they're a bit rough at times. David French did the rest of the books and they're much better.

I'd say the Netflix show compares unfavourably to the books because of the jumping timelines gimmick. The stories presented in the show don’t have enough room to breathe and they lack the nuance behind some of the tales, especially The Lesser Evil. Ciri isn't even a character until Sword of Destiny, so 90 percent of her show appearances so far were made up whole cloth and make no sense if you look at a map.

Books are good, Netflix Show is schlocky modern day Xena and I really like the cast, but it misses the mark on deeper points in the novels. Its a fun show but better viewed as its own thing than as a good adaptation.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It's been a while since I played it, and I'll probably play it again once the update comes out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Everyone still playing it: awesome!

I'm having a hard time deciding on a build to play throught this time. I've done probably a half dozen builds with various armor sets and skills.

My go to was a kind of Jedi: fast attacks, amped up Axii and Aard for mind tricks and force push.

I tried pure cat and bear builds, with emphasis on speed and precision vs. tanky brute force with little dancing around involved.

Now I'm out of ideas. I'm not proud to admit, but I'm using a trainer and console commands to give myself whatever I want because I've played through the whole game at least 4 times, but even with this nothing seems to be really fun.

I'm currently playing with a build which is canonical with the books, found here

What are some builds you all have been using?

Also, what update? An update for PS 5? What's being updated?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
they said they were updating the graphics and performance, probably no gameplay changes

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not sure if it falls under the tanky build you already tried, but a rend-focused build can be really fun if you abuse the input buffering.

The idea with rend is that the longer you hold it, the more stamina it takes and the more damage it deals. But a rend charged for the minimum amount of time consumes almost no stamina and still does a hefty amount of damage, not to mention is still unblockable and still stuns.

Normally there's a slow wind-up animation for rend, but it turns out you can buffer the button hold input by initiating it during another action, such as a sidestep or a light attack, or—and this is the key—during another rend attack. So you set up the first attack somehow, and then you just keep timing the press and release and you'll basically do non-stop chopping until the enemy dies or you need to dodge an attack from someone else. The stun-lock from continuous rending means that most small enemies won't be able to do anything once you start chopping. Pair it with the decoction that heals on stamina consumption and you're pretty much invincible.

The only downside is that you need at least half your stamina bar to be able to use rend, which means you probably won't be casting as many signs. But it's a small issue to mitigate, and it's fun enough that I don't miss the signs too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb90YTtFLyg

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

404notfound posted:

Not sure if it falls under the tanky build you already tried, but a rend-focused build can be really fun if you abuse the input buffering.

The idea with rend is that the longer you hold it, the more stamina it takes and the more damage it deals. But a rend charged for the minimum amount of time consumes almost no stamina and still does a hefty amount of damage, not to mention is still unblockable and still stuns.

Normally there's a slow wind-up animation for rend, but it turns out you can buffer the button hold input by initiating it during another action, such as a sidestep or a light attack, or—and this is the key—during another rend attack. So you set up the first attack somehow, and then you just keep timing the press and release and you'll basically do non-stop chopping until the enemy dies or you need to dodge an attack from someone else. The stun-lock from continuous rending means that most small enemies won't be able to do anything once you start chopping. Pair it with the decoction that heals on stamina consumption and you're pretty much invincible.

The only downside is that you need at least half your stamina bar to be able to use rend, which means you probably won't be casting as many signs. But it's a small issue to mitigate, and it's fun enough that I don't miss the signs too much.

:lol: that video is some serious cheese.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

404notfound posted:

Not to mention you'll want that rune that extends Rend range and then you can hit enemies far enough away that they can't hit you back if they wanted to.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I wrapped up a playthrough before cyberpunk came out, and with that being a dud, I will be starting the NG+ from that playthrough at some point, probably with the update that is in the works. its my favorite game of all time, and i will not stop playing it any time soon.

imo cyberpunk wasn't a dud unless you're on last-gen consoles in which case whoops

cyberpunk was just too busy for my taste. there's a lot of good story content but there's a huge volume of side content which I didn't find terribly engaging.

the cyberpunk DLC should be great. w3 is still better and I'll definitely do another replay with ray tracing sometime this year

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fritz the Horse posted:

imo cyberpunk wasn't a dud unless you're on last-gen consoles in which case whoops

cyberpunk was just too busy for my taste. there's a lot of good story content but there's a huge volume of side content which I didn't find terribly engaging.

the cyberpunk DLC should be great. w3 is still better and I'll definitely do another replay with ray tracing sometime this year

Agreed (mostly). Cyberpunk is a loving fantastic game and is absolutely in the same class as Witcher 3, though it's a B+ where W3 is an A+.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Witcher 3 didn't create an entire subculture of people desperately projecting their desire to escape hellworld onto a different hellworld. Like, Geralt isn't burdened with having to be every player's ideal alter ego.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Witcher 3 didn't create an entire subculture of people desperately projecting their desire to escape hellworld onto a different hellworld. Like, Geralt isn't burdened with having to be every player's ideal alter ego.

speak for yourself

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

It also didn't have the expectations of being the much improved follow up to The Witcher 3. Even without all the bugginess how disappointed would people have been after all the hype? When did Cyberpunk 2077 become the best thing ever in peoples' expectations? Was it from the first trailer, or was it at some point after Witcher 3?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Re: the books

They are great. I've been working through the audio books.

But man are they some men-writing-women territory. Every description of women includes their bulging mounds, even when it's told through child Ciri noticing them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

White Coke posted:

It also didn't have the expectations of being the much improved follow up to The Witcher 3. Even without all the bugginess how disappointed would people have been after all the hype? When did Cyberpunk 2077 become the best thing ever in peoples' expectations? Was it from the first trailer, or was it at some point after Witcher 3?

Keanu basically

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Keanu basically

i think it was after everyone realized how great witcher 3 was and than the trailer and the 40 min gameplay got people excited. keanu than launched it out farther. my big issue Cyberpunk(which is did like though i played it on the ps5 lol) is that its not as great with quests and stuff as witcher 3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Keanu basically
A funny thing about the hype surrounding CP2077 is that, from what I can tell, the setting of CP2020 never really won people over. People respect Pondsmith as a designer, but few people were excited for Night City or Johnny Silverhand until a huge budget brought them to life. (As opposed to Shadowrun, which had higher production values and a lot more books to fill out the setting.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

A funny thing about the hype surrounding CP2077 is that, from what I can tell, the setting of CP2020 never really won people over. People respect Pondsmith as a designer, but few people were excited for Night City or Johnny Silverhand until a huge budget brought them to life. (As opposed to Shadowrun, which had higher production values and a lot more books to fill out the setting.)

Why did CDPR decide to adapt CP2020? Was an executive a big fan, or was it just cheaper than getting the Shadowrun IP?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Probably the exclusivity. And allegedly a lot of people in the studio like the tabletop.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I absolutely loathe fighting wraiths as much as I hate fighting dogs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wraiths are easy (as long as there's less than 3 of them I guess): Dodge dodge chop. If you have Yrden, Dodge chop.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I do, but they still do the DBZ teleport thing and dodge.

Dogs are the worst.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

lite_sleepr posted:

Dogs are the worst.

As soon as they teleport, dodge twice. They'll always chain two attacks together, whether they hit you or not.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lite_sleepr posted:

Dogs are the worst.

is this because you don't like having to fight dogs or is this because you need to put points into igni

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I definitely don't like killing the dogs. Should really remember to activate Friendly Wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Pondsmith has a career in video game development, so it's not as out of left field as if a studio wanted to do a big budget adaptation of Torg, Traveller, or some other notable and important tabletop game that didn't already have a multimedia franchise.

They started planning in 2012, and the success of DE:HR probably helped.