Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

graventy posted:

So, thanks to some luck I have properly entered the newest generation of consoles. Or will, in a few weeks. Can I just unplug my external from my XBONE and plug it into the X? Is there *any* reason to keep the XBONE around?

The external drive can be swapped between the Series X and the One at will.

There are only two reasons to keep an Xbox One around once you have a Series machine: Kinect games and HDMI-in TV integration.

The Xbox One will work pretty seamlessly as a secondary device for compatible games, however. Saves move between consoles without any effort on your part. I have my One X hooked up in our guest room for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just plug the SeX into the Xbone and play through the TV mode.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I had a weird system-wide glitch on my XSX.

I was playing No Mans Sky and the connection between my controller and system cut out. I couldn't get it to resync and tried my 2nd controller, which couldn't connect at all. Restarting did nothing. I had to unplug the Xbox and turn it on again to get the controllers to connect.

It was a pain in the rear end and NMS is stingy with saving so I lost 15 minutes of base cleanup.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

ultrachrist posted:

I was playing No Mans Sky and the connection between my controller and system cut out. I couldn't get it to resync and tried my 2nd controller, which couldn't connect at all. Restarting did nothing. I had to unplug the Xbox and turn it on again to get the controllers to connect.

It was a pain in the rear end and NMS is stingy with saving so I lost 15 minutes of base cleanup.

I'm not sure if they've done a system update recently or what, but I've now had this happen in fortnite twice, once on the XSX and once on the XSS in the last two days. A hard reset fixed it for me in both cases(hold power button down until it is completely shut off).

I think they broke something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ultrachrist posted:

I had to do a hard restart to. get it to pair with my elite controller. And also the controller it came with originally, now that I think about it. It wasn't paired and I had to restart to even get it to pair.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I have been able to just pull the battery in my controller and it pairs when I turn it back on.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Happy Hedonist posted:

I have been able to just pull the battery in my controller and it pairs when I turn it back on.

Yeah I've done this also. Interesting it seems to be a wider issue.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Happy Hedonist posted:

Battery removal didn't work for me, nor did swapping in new batteries. Just won't pair at all. But once I did a hard reset it was like it remembered on its own that it should be paired and just worked without re-pairing.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Battery removal didn't work for me, nor did swapping in new batteries. Just won't pair at all. But once I did a hard reset it was like it remembered on its own that it should be paired and just worked without re-pairing.

Great. Well thanks for the heads up lol. I won't be freaked out when it happens now at least.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played some hive busters. Its a decent 5 hours of more gow shooting which is about my boredom limit. The gfx look good but theres just too much incongruity or i guess clashing elements in the artstyle and tone of gears 4/5 for me personally. i hope they can work with fresh ip soon

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I suppose I’m glad everyone is having the same issue as me. It’s prob not a busted Xbox then.

Taking out the batteries didn’t work for me either. It was like the entire syncing mechanism was stuck until it restarted (and no syncing was necessary).

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Is Gears 5 already available on game pass ultimate? I've been playing what I thought was Gears 5 last weekend but then I saw the article about it coming out on game pass in February. Can someone please clarify?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's been on game pass since launch. It's coming to Games with Gold in February.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I was astounded to discover that my LG magic remote can navigate my Xbox dashboard. My brain can't comprehend how this works.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hdmi cec

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The controller disconnect is apparently a known issue they're working on patching this month(?) soon anyway

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Grey posted:

I was astounded to discover that my LG magic remote can navigate my Xbox dashboard. My brain can't comprehend how this works.

I wish this stuff was more reliable. I upgraded from a 12 year old 1080p LG model to a 4k samsung last year, and I bought a matching soundbar in the hopes of making everything as simple as possible. And when it works it's great! But half the time turning on the xbox does turn on the tv/soundbar, half the time it doesn't. The most annoying thing is when the soundbar doesn't take over audio duties completely and the tv and soundbar have separate volumes and it produces a lovely echoing effect. Sometimes game mode comes on automatically, sometimes it doesn't, usually fucks up the audio and requires me to go into settings either way. I tried to go into all the options and make everything as simple as possible and it's just constantly reminding me that it should all work just a little bit better.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I would turn the sound down to zero on the tv. Unless you want to use it sometimes? In which case you should be ashamed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nuts and Gum posted:

I would turn the sound down to zero on the tv. Unless you want to use it sometimes? In which case you should be ashamed.

I have done so several times! But MAI WAIFE isn't as diligent as making sure the setting is correct and doesn't want to use multiple remotes (and it's hard to blame her since that was part of the decision to upgrade and I actually thought it should work relatively easily).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
HDMI CEC loving rules. Makes it so the remote that came with the ShieldTV is the only one on the coffee table. It definitely is happiest with a very simple setup though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah HDMI CEC is neat until you have like three devices from three different manufacturers connected. I have a PC, PS5, and Shield TV plugged into a Pioneer AVR that's plugged into an LG C9, and it does some weird stuff. Turning on the TV turns on the AVR and vice versa, cool beans, except it then turns on the Shield and sets the AVR input to it. If I'm too quick to set the AVR input to what I actually want to use, it'll get switched back to the Shield. After spending an hour dicking with CEC settings on different devices I'm only about 80% sure that the TV is what's doing this, and there's no apparent way to fix it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of HDMI-CEC problems, I think I've got some weird issue on my 2012 Samsung TV where the sound coming through my Roku soundbar keeps cutting out every few seconds until I switch inputs to Roku and switch back. I can't tell if it's the Xbox, the soundbar, or the TV, but it doesn't happen with my other consoles

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Grey posted:

When I was showing my dad has to use Sling he was really intimidated by the Xbox controller and I was like, "Dad, you were a instrument technician in a power plant. People a lot stupider than you can use these. Actually, you'd be amazed how stupid you can be and still use these"

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

I'm not sure if they've done a system update recently or what, but I've now had this happen in fortnite twice, once on the XSX and once on the XSS in the last two days. A hard reset fixed it for me in both cases(hold power button down until it is completely shut off).

I think they broke something.

It's not a new thing. I had the same thing like a month ago on my XSX. Haven't had it since, so I have no idea what caused it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm4uNK5ydGw

Series S 30fps dynamic res 1080p - 648p :eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 27, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Series S 30fps dynamic res 1080p - 648p :eyepop:

What the absolute gently caress. Even the launch Xbox One managed 720p30 in its games.

And the Series X drops to 900p what the gently caress

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 27, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

reviews are not too pleased with the medium

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

If only they could have seen this coming!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I played one of their other games, Observer, and it ran and looked like absolute poo poo on PS4 Pro, I think it was the game that made my fans run the loudest I've ever heard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

observer wasn't that fun to play, kinda like a lamer amnesia or soma with puzzles and dumb monster avoidance but the setting and world and presentation were top notch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Yeah the design was cool but I ended up just quitting it because the performance was so bad. Low FPS + a narrow FOV gives me really bad headaches.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

Low 70's on Metacritic is about what I expected, which seems good enough to check out if you have Gamepass at least.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

All Bloober stuff is basically horror eurojank right? Seems like this might be on the good side of that at least.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anno posted:

All Bloober stuff is basically horror eurojank right? Seems like this might be on the good side of that at least.

Yeah, basically.

univbee posted:

What the absolute gently caress. Even the launch Xbox One managed 720p30 in its games.

And the Series X drops to 900p what the gently caress

It drops to the bottom during the gameplay where its running two instances at once. A gimmick for the game is two synchronized but different worlds and it runs them simultaneously and when that gets really heavy it apparently causes the resolution to die. I'm.... not totally sold this is a great idea.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a link to the rear end

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The Medium

more like

The Mediocre

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its probably got some cool parts

should have named it "the ultra" to get those p's up tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its on gamepass so I expect to fire it up, play for an hour, go "boy this aint for me" and then forget about it except for a weird gaming trivia answer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Barudak posted:

Its on gamepass so I expect to fire it up, play for an hour, go "boy this aint for me" and then forget about it except for a weird gaming trivia answer.

I'm saving this quote for when Scorn releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm saving this quote for if Halo Infinite releases.