Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

IcePhoenix posted:

ugh the closest oil to me is so far away :(

Automating production of all your building supplies and common buildings is pretty essential and something you won't regret. Running massive stacks of conveyors around the planet is pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

It's near the bottom of the tech tree, Energy Matrix. It's to the right of High Efficiency Plasma Control. Took me forever to find it as well.

And I have the same problem with foundation, I really wish there was a way to make dirt as dumb as that is.

i grab a thousand foundations, hold down lmb, and just quick-drag the mouse across nearby un-developed land masses. so you're not filling them in with foundation, just every few squares. gets a few hundred k soil pretty quick/cheaply
i think you need 2 gaps between every tile foundation tile to get all the soil.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

IcePhoenix posted:

I wish the wireless chargers had a bigger range so I didn't have to just haul a bunch of coal around to power my robit

Dont forget to stack the wireless chargers around each other to charge yourself faster.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

IcePhoenix posted:

I wish the wireless chargers had a bigger range so I didn't have to just haul a bunch of coal around to power my robit

Switch from coal to energetic carbon, you can do that with just a smelter and coal and you'll need it for other stuff anyways. It lasts longer. You can use oil and petroleum as well to power your robot, so once you have a well up and running you can refuel from that. I think that lasts longer as well, though I haven't checked.

awesmoe posted:

i grab a thousand foundations, hold down lmb, and just quick-drag the mouse across nearby un-developed land masses. so you're not filling them in with foundation, just every few squares. gets a few hundred k soil pretty quick/cheaply
i think you need 2 gaps between every tile foundation tile to get all the soil.

I'll do that, I'm just paving slowly where I need it for now. I'll get the whole planet eventually.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rynoto posted:

Automating production of all your building supplies and common buildings is pretty essential and something you won't regret. Running massive stacks of conveyors around the planet is pretty cheap.

yeah I might just either tear everything down to reorganize a little or just start over

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Dont forget to stack the wireless chargers around each other to charge yourself faster.

the speed bothers me less than the range, if I have to go to a specific spot to recharge I'd rather just go grab a few stacks of coal and stick them in my core so I can get back to my business

seaborgium posted:

Switch from coal to energetic carbon, you can do that with just a smelter and coal and you'll need it for other stuff anyways. It lasts longer. You can use oil and petroleum as well to power your robot, so once you have a well up and running you can refuel from that. I think that lasts longer as well, though I haven't checked.

oh nice, thank you

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Embrace the spaghetti. This is way too complicated but it took 2 hours and it works. Oil comes out the back.

Verticality in this is much more fun/interesting than satisfactory.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I restarted and then felt silly when I realized that I could have just ripped everything down and rebuilt in my existing save with all of my technology saved. Worst case just launch yourself into space and go to another solar system.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I was really proud of the tiling x-ray cracking setup I had enough even though I tore it down completely after two more techs when fuel became useful instead of trash.

I actually like that though, it shifts from all being about hydrogen, to liquid oil, to wanting both.

I never went very heavy in factorio on robots for anything beyond construction and logistics for my own inventory/builder trains, but I've moved everything on my starting planet over to it. My planet looks like a spaghetti of logi ports now. At some point I'll move to another solar system and I kind of want to try a full bus all the way around the equator, I think it'd look rad.

Also, is there a way to pick up off belts or out of logi ports? I've just been putting storage boxes with stack size of 1 on the outputs for things I use for handcrafting rare buildings.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Boogalo posted:

Embrace the spaghetti. This is way too complicated but it took 2 hours and it works. Oil comes out the back.

This is absolutely how all of my poo poo is. It’s like legacy software - please don’t touch it, no we don’t know how it works, just incorporate the output into your new systems.

I had a half assed attempt to make a mall at one point and my blue research kinda grew over the top of that. After installing a functioning red research area my blue research was the new bottleneck, so I found a line of stalled out copper plates and routed them into a new chain to make more blue research. Were they part of the abandoned mall? An oversupply for the existing blue research facilities? Something more important? Who knows!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IcePhoenix posted:

You should hopefully have energetic carbon by this point, which stores a lot more energy!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Boogalo posted:

I'm finding laziness and speed of setting up things like this to be more appealing than making it pretty, after 60 hours into the game. This took me about 10 minutes to toss together:

It's time for me to start harvesting the gas giant I'm orbiting since I have a dire need for deuterium for green science and warpers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Boogalo posted:

Yeah I definitely want to get spaghettified but the way I set up smelters and stuff right now I think requires a full teardown. As also pointed out above though I keep all my technologies and buildings if I do that so that's probably the best way for me to go. Probably gonna leave my coal power station going though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

apseudonym posted:

I was really proud of the tiling x-ray cracking setup I had enough even though I tore it down completely after two more techs when fuel became useful instead of trash.

I actually like that though, it shifts from all being about hydrogen, to liquid oil, to wanting both.

I never went very heavy in factorio on robots for anything beyond construction and logistics for my own inventory/builder trains, but I've moved everything on my starting planet over to it. My planet looks like a spaghetti of logi ports now. At some point I'll move to another solar system and I kind of want to try a full bus all the way around the equator, I think it'd look rad.

Also, is there a way to pick up off belts or out of logi ports? I've just been putting storage boxes with stack size of 1 on the outputs for things I use for handcrafting rare buildings.

You can click on the belt and get a popup window showing what it is holding. Then click and hold on the item window to keep emptying the conveyor.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
So you can't pack conveyors any tighter unless they're going into a building apparently. Sorters can be jammed next to each other, but on the other side I've got to do 2 distance sorter output to the lateral conveyors due to their distance from middle. Once it all gets to research it goes back to being bunched up again, weird.

e, Oh yeah the gridlines are offset wth:

don't ask about my terrible conveyors I'm trying to figure stuff out :D

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 26, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

apseudonym posted:

Also, is there a way to pick up off belts or out of logi ports?

For logi ports, right click on the thing to take some out

I also found out you can click on a logi port in planet view to see what it's shipping, but it would be even better to also have a list of all ports on a planet there

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

LifeSunDeath posted:

e, Oh yeah the gridlines are offset wth:

Yeah the way the game deals with building on a sphere is by offsetting the grid when you get closer to the poles. If you want to avoid this just stay on the equator.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have smart thoughts yet on dyson swarm orbits vs gun placement? It seems like the most effective arrangement for me so far is guns all around on the equator firing at a polar (90 degree) dyson swarm, with groups of ray receivers at the north/south poles. I don't know if that's good or bad or why it works :eng99:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Yeah the way the game deals with building on a sphere is by offsetting the grid when you get closer to the poles. If you want to avoid this just stay on the equator.

interesting. thanks. I'll let my factories be a mess like I did in satisfactory then.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

For logi ports, right click on the thing to take some out

I also found out you can click on a logi port in planet view to see what it's shipping, but it would be even better to also have a list of all ports on a planet there

Gadzuko posted:

You can click on the belt and get a popup window showing what it is holding. Then click and hold on the item window to keep emptying the conveyor.

God damnit, thanks you two.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have smart thoughts yet on dyson swarm orbits vs gun placement? It seems like the most effective arrangement for me so far is guns all around on the equator firing at a polar (90 degree) dyson swarm, with groups of ray receivers at the north/south poles. I don't know if that's good or bad or why it works :eng99:

No idea.. I just know that I started reading the in game help page about how it calculates power and my eyes glazed over until I closed the window and decided "Eh I'll just shoot a bunch at the sun and see wha happun :shrug: "

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oil setup post

only outputs hydrogen, sulfuric acid and plastic. now i need to actually use them all at full speed so nothing backs up or else the entire setup freezes.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just wanted to show another pretty picture.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm contemplating putting energized graphite on logistics, that's such a huge waste of power though :gonk:

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not proper steampunk unless your robit is coal powered :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ciaphas posted:

I'm contemplating putting energized graphite on logistics, that's such a huge waste of power though :gonk:

Depending on how you're using it, it makes some thing a ton easier. I'm making so much that I ship it off planet to power generators outside of my starter world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Huh I didn't know you could stack splitters, I assume they only transfer on the same level?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's been said before but it bears repeating, you can rotate a mining machine freely by holding shift and R. It sometimes makes it a lot easier to position miners perfectly so you have full coverage of all the nodes this way.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

OwlFancier posted:

Huh I didn't know you could stack splitters, I assume they only transfer on the same level?

You can actually do both, but in that picture it's unrelated. They have two single level splitters stacked, each one independently routing things in four directions on their lowest z level. If you note the second splitter is actually routing on z level 3.

You can also hit tab to make splitters swap things between z levels, which is different than what you see in the picture. In these modes it has two ports on it's lower level and two ports on it's upper level, one configuration has em parallel one has em perpendicular. You can freely route high to low or low to high.

A splitter building is always 2 z levels high no matter it's configuration. Base utilizes z level 1, the two other modes use 1 and 2.

Also also, while we're discussing splitter tech: if you click a splitter you can both prioritize an output direction (so it always outputs that one unless blocked, good for setting up overflow instead of splitting evenly) AND you can set a filter to what it let's through each specific port.

All that said other than being able to split things one level up I'm not using most of the functions, they're really not required other than the base use.

But I'm really excited to see what tricks people do with them or experiment to take advantage of the priority and filter system to do some weird poo poo with mixed belts. There's a lot of functionality built into that relatively simple building.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 26, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TwystNeko posted:

That's really nice and compact, but don't you have issues with resource starvation for refineries further down the line?
One full regular conveyor belt will feed at least 23 refineries. Getting the belt full requires some fiddling.

Edit: No, my bad, I meant 12 refineries. I forgot I split from a tank into two parallel lines of crude.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 26, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

threelemmings posted:

You can actually do both, but in that picture it's unrelated. They have two single level splitters stacked, each one independently routing things in four directions on their lowest z level. If you note the second splitter is actually routing on z level 3.

You can also hit tab to make splitters swap things between z levels, which is different than what you see in the picture. In these modes it has two ports on it's lower level and two ports on it's upper level, one configuration has em parallel one has em perpendicular. You can freely route high to low or low to high.

A splitter building is always 2 z levels high no matter it's configuration. Base utilizes z level 1, the two other modes use 1 and 2.

Also also, while we're discussing splitter tech: if you click a splitter you can both prioritize an output direction (so it always outputs that one unless blocked, good for setting up overflow instead of splitting evenly) AND you can set a filter to what it let's through each specific port.

All that said other than being able to split things one level up I'm not using most of the functions, they're really not required other than the base use.

But I'm really excited to see what tricks people do with them or experiment to take advantage of the priority and filter system to do some weird poo poo with mixed belts. There's a lot of functionality built into that relatively simple building.

Sorry, for clarity, I know about the multi level splitters, what I mean is, if you stack them, you cannot input things onto the top splitter and have it come out the bottom one, I assume? As in the whole stack does not operate as a connected interchange?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry, for clarity, I know about the multi level splitters, what I mean is, if you stack them, you cannot input things onto the top splitter and have it come out the bottom one, I assume? As in the whole stack does not operate as a connected interchange?

Ah then no, they're completely independent other than physically stacking. Sorry, lots of folks hadn't known about either of those extra functions!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Came for the sulfuric acid ocean, stayed for the view :eyepop:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Oil production, huh

The basic refinery line continues for maybe 10 refineries more to the left. Red + yellow + purple science eats a lot of oil. Fortunately, T3 belts mean you don't really have to worry that much about belt throughput, at least in the mid game.

I know don't really need that many splitters and should sideload more, but I like how they look so nyah. :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
And now my bottleneck is Deuterium. I need SO MUCH to make strange matter so I can make Lenses so I can make warpers.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Ciaphas posted:

I'm shipping in raw iron ore from another planet by the tens of thousands because one ancient rear end supply chain relies on it and there are no veins even remotely close by.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Catpain Slack posted:

I'm shipping in raw iron ore from another planet by the tens of thousands because one ancient rear end supply chain relies on it and there are no veins even remotely close by.

I'm getting to this point. Basically trying to plug up holes in a sinking ship as other holes are appearing. I really need to get my gas giant vacuum thing set up because my oil production just isn't cutting it right now and jesus I need some Hydrogen. I'll just keep myself busy fixing the factory.. over here :shepface:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 26, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

It's been said before but it bears repeating, you can rotate a mining machine freely by holding shift and R. It sometimes makes it a lot easier to position miners perfectly so you have full coverage of all the nodes this way.

saw this done in a video and blew my mind. it's weird that other stuff has the prompt for holding shift to not align with building but it does nothing as far as I can tell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Depending on how you're using it, it makes some thing a ton easier. I'm making so much that I ship it off planet to power generators outside of my starter world.

Even with logistics there's no sense of organization to my planets whatsoever. My second's a little better but not much

On the other hand, my dyson swarm just broke 100MW :toot:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Short a circuit network, you can use splitter priorities to burn off excess refinery products. Example: hydrogen goes to a splitter with priority output to the main factory but if that is backed up, the excess gets shunted into generators, then the priority input for THAT line is for hydrogen, so I'm not burning refined oil unless the hydrogen isn't backed up. Just having an enormous line of generators works well as a burn-off flare. Though DSP doesn't have the nice factorio thing of generators only using fuel to supply electric demand. Once fuel is in it burns at max rate and power generation for the item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Splitter priorities are one of the best design decisions in the game and it makes me wish satisfactory had them as well.