Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

euphronius posted:

Helton should be unanimous lmao

What is wrong with these people

Why do people who hate baseball cover it ?
Also Scott Rolen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bewbies posted:

great look for the hall when the top two guys on the list are absolutely trash human beings

top three

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Did Clemens do something besides roids?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Why is Schilling so close? Kinda annoying.
He’s actually lost a vote or two from last year based on the tracker

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Did Clemens do something besides roids?
Yeah he groomed a 15 year old girl then “dated” her for many years and gaslit the poo poo outta her when it became public, she ultimately took her own life.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oh poo poo I didn't know McCready killed herself :stare:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
jfc i completely forgot about that

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

Yeah he groomed a 15 year old girl then “dated” her for many years and gaslit the poo poo outta her when it became public, she ultimately took her own life.

Oh wow, yeah gently caress that guy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I had no recollection of it at all till someone linked a story about it under a HoF tweet this month

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/11/20/20972682/roger-clemens-mindy-mccready-ped-hall-of-fame-character-clause-mlb-hot-stove

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't think I ever knew it. After reading her wiki, her life was full of terribleness :(

gently caress Clemens, dude had a ton of affairs apparently.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mean, every God drat top HoF vote getter has significant character flaws.

- Schilling is an awful QAnon chud, also his defrauding of Rhode Island
- Bonds has domestic violence issues
- Clemens has the aforementioned grooming
- He's not a top vote getter but the story about
Omar Vizquel abusing his ex wife hasn't stopped him from getting votes

Meanwhile Rolen and Helton aren't even close lmao

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

Why do people who hate baseball cover it ?

People who hate baseball end up as the commissioner.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man I just don't see giving Bauer ace money. Like I'd take him on the Giants for 4/80 or 5/100 even, I get it he's the best pitcher in free agency this year, but for Max Scherzer money? No thanks.

even though there are only like 4 teams willing to spend money he's still so much better than everyone else available that it's pushing his price right up

anyone who needs pitching and doesn't get Bauer is going to have to deal with potential injury issues (Tanaka, Paxton), potential age issues (Hamels, Arrieta), or just general mediocrity (everyone else)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also weird to me that pundits seem to think he'll even get ace money. He's had a whopping one ace-level full season in 2018, a Cy Young shortened season where there are some serious questions about him hilariously and openly abusing grip substances to gain loads of spin he otherwise didn't have prior to last year, and then seven additional seasons where... he was okay? Like he was a perfectly serviceable rotation guy, but not anybody you'd break the bank for. He's got 17.8 WAR over a nine season career, basically half of which came from the previously mentioned two outlier seasons. Unless MLB is going to let him openly ignore foreign substance rules indefinitely I don't see how you could assume ace-level production to be his norm going forward.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

Unless MLB is going to let him openly ignore foreign substance rules indefinitely I don't see how you could assume ace-level production to be his norm going forward.

Literally everyone abuses it. He's just more open to wanting that fact to be known to the general public.

But I agree with the rest of your statement. Career years coming into free agency definitely seem to help get bigger contracts, though.

EDIT: Actually I mean, his last 800IP are pretty good :shrug: I still probably agree with you about ace money though.

This is 2016-2020 with 700IP min.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That's fair, and maybe once he gets his money he doesn't give a poo poo if MLB steps in and starts policing foreign substances more strictly. It just seems odd that he's out their claiming he wants to be the highest paid pitcher in history and instead of rolling their eyes there are multiple writers nodding and saying "yeah he could be."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I've been strenuously against considering people's non-baseball stuff when determining whether I think they should be in the HOF, mainly because so many assholes are already there (HI CAP ANSON! HI KENNISAW MOUNTAIN LANDIS!), but boy howdy has Schilling made that nigh impossible. At this point I'm hoping he dies soon so then I can feel OK about supporting his HOF case.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bauer and the NY media is a match made in heaven

That table is a good reality check. What would He drinks or Corbin get if they were free agents right now? Surely not a record aav deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goddamn Kyle Hendricks is so loving underpaid, I have no idea how the Cubs got him to agree to 4/60.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Goddamn Kyle Hendricks is so loving underpaid, I have no idea how the Cubs got him to agree to 4/60.

Yeah but you see this is actually too much money and he's gotta go.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Bauer could actually throw every 4 days like he claims and still be good he's absolutely worth 30million+ just from the effect that has for the rest of your staff.

But I really don't think he can over a full season let alone a contract of any length beyond that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1354069290207506435?s=19

Put Sammy in the fuckin HOF, assholes.

Also Sheffield and Helton.

Schilling being the only inductee is the worst possible outcome and also just the perfect cherry on top of the turd that is life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

WHA?!?!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/craigmish/status/1354154480066031616?s=21

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

YAY!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Schilling being the only inductee is the worst possible outcome and also just the perfect cherry on top of the turd that is life.
It’s not gonna happen. First of all the ceremony this year will include last year’s inductees Jeter and Walker, since last year’s ceremony didn’t happen. Second, Schilling is the only one in the tracker who’s lost votes since last year, so chances are he just misses it again this year.

https://twitter.com/notmrtibbs/status/1354129436153573377?s=21

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be very weird if Schilling just squeaked in after that one voter was like "Uh, can I take back my vote on account of insurrection?"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I had no recollection of it at all till someone linked a story about it under a HoF tweet this month

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/11/20/20972682/roger-clemens-mindy-mccready-ped-hall-of-fame-character-clause-mlb-hot-stove

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1354155903826747394

Highest ever AAV for a catcher, and worth it. Congrats Philly fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did people finally realize how good Helton and Rolen were

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think the "Rolen is really loving good" train started a long time ago, it's just that writers are actually loving dumb (elite defense forever definitely pushes him into the hall).

Helton is actually a bit borderline for me but I wouldn't be mad if he got in or whatever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like with players like that its always a matter of years of people saying "X should be in" and then each year more and more voters getting convinced slowly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I for one am shocked

https://twitter.com/byalexcoffey/status/1354163047359778820?s=21

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Bregor posted:

Is this better or worse than the Madoff thing? :mets:

Well Cohen isint running an illegal Ponzi scheme.

His firm isint the one that has the at risk short position in GameStop, but he’s bailing out the firm that does.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Halle loving lujah

:toot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

It's also weird to me that pundits seem to think he'll even get ace money. He's had a whopping one ace-level full season in 2018, a Cy Young shortened season where there are some serious questions about him hilariously and openly abusing grip substances to gain loads of spin he otherwise didn't have prior to last year, and then seven additional seasons where... he was okay? Like he was a perfectly serviceable rotation guy, but not anybody you'd break the bank for. He's got 17.8 WAR over a nine season career, basically half of which came from the previously mentioned two outlier seasons. Unless MLB is going to let him openly ignore foreign substance rules indefinitely I don't see how you could assume ace-level production to be his norm going forward.

I can't remember where it was, some video or another, but I saw some speculation that he hired someone to develop a superior and harder to spot substance that increases his spin rate far better than things like pine tar and that other Reds pitchers also got huge boosts to their spin rates so you're not just getting Bauer, you're getting his custom stickem for the rest of your pitching staff

They looked at his spin rate increase from 2020 and compared it to spin rate increases other pitchers have seen from using substances and his improvement was far better

e: here it is

who knows how bullshit it may or may not be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zgvK1UAH4

in the comments for the video, lol this troll

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 26, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1354170055983034369

Brad Hand should absolutely be getting more than 50k for winning the Silver Slugger.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I can't remember where it was, some video or another, but I saw some speculation that he hired someone to develop a superior and harder to spot substance that increases his spin rate far better than things like pine tar and that other Reds pitchers also got huge boosts to their spin rates so you're not just getting Bauer, you're getting his custom stickem for the rest of your pitching staff

They looked at his spin rate increase from 2020 and compared it to spin rate increases other pitchers have seen from using substances and his improvement was far better

e: here it is

who knows how bullshit it may or may not be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zgvK1UAH4

in the comments for the video, lol this troll

lmao he's such a baby. Given the title I expected that video to be way more harsh but it was actually pretty dang fair to Bauer and made it clear he's far from the only person using substances to get better grip.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That same guy just released a new video about a MLB lawsuit with a former Angels clubhouse manager accused of distributing a grip substance throughout the league. It fingers a lot of big names.

I’d like to think it’s mostly conspiracy theory, especially the supposedly-damning clip of Cole it keeps showing, but these significant jumps in spin rate are a little suspicious.

https://youtu.be/-SDIb2rf9EA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:toot:

Hooray !!!