Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Welp, I'm getting better. Made it to turn 8 of the heart

I probably should've... not accepted the dead branch from a boss fight? It made the Awakened one and SpearShield an easy joke, but then just sputtered out garbage against the heart.

Had a ton of fun: I got both Concentrate and Grand Finale to consistently work for the first time ever!

Dead Branch seems like a great addition here, sometimes it just doesn't work out, the same way you sometimes just die to bad draws. The reason you couldn't beat the heart is that the deck is too "fair." It plays attacks for straightforward damage but doesn't have a way to scale up for a fight that needs you to do 100+ damage per turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lammasu posted:

What's the best class to go for the Common sense achievement?

Senerio posted:

Ironclad, 2 Shrug it off+, 2 Body Slam+ and a Pommel Strike was a strategy I saw in the thread that will get you that and the 5 card achievement.

Oh my GOD this was so loving funny. I don't think I was damaged at all for the entirety of Act III. Abacus did a TON of work here, both with ramping defense and pinging Body Slam

Unfortunately I was never able to find enough card shed to get rid of all my starter cards even with Empty Cage, and exhausting them with True Grit to get to five cards didn't unlock the achievement.

But I did get Common Sense, and earlier today I got Infinity and The Transient from another insane run with Corruption, Dead Branch and Med Kit. Good times.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And I forgot the common sense run screencap :p

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Finally got a good run with Runic Dome. Envenom is so bad usually but if you can get it with Snecko Skull, that second point of poison really makes it pop.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

That looks pretty drat strong alright.

I think Dome is pretty good as a Neow swap. All of the act 1 elites and 2 of the bosses have completely predictable patterns. Unfortunately then you have to keep playing with Dome. Plus some of the act 1 hard pool fights are tough with Dome. But you were able to get through a challenging act 1 route and were already strong by the end of the act, at least relic-wise.

Did you run into any hard AOE fights? Seems like the biggest hole for this deck.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Tomorrow we get to see two slay the spire streamers attempt to break the world record. I'm pretty hype about it, though nervous since Baalor has Silent next, one of the weakest characters.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I did take 20 damage from the elite slavers encounter, but only 2 against Reptomancer and 10 against Awakened One. I don't feel like AOE was an issue at all, though. Silent isn't particularly good at AOE damage outside of Corpse Explosion and Crippling Cloud+, so the best approach to AOE fights is usually just to focus down one enemy at a time, which this deck did quite well.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I've been stuck on A9 with Ironclad for a few days so this was a fun one. It started with a simple Fire Breathing/Power Through synergy with lots of card draw and then went off the rails with Corruption/Dead Branch. Throw in a membership card/courier at the end and I was just adding cards and relics for fun. The only downside was I got the falling event where I lost my Body Slam and in hindsight, that card was doing some heavy lifting for my damage output and I should have kept it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

For thrill seekers and adrenaline chasers, Baalor will be starting his attempt on the rotating streak record in about five minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/baalorlord

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jedit posted:

For thrill seekers and adrenaline chasers, Baalor will be starting his attempt on the rotating streak record in about five minutes.

rip

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Ooof, RIP Baalorlord

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Ooof, RIP Baalorlord

Who's that other streamer at 11 in a row, and how are they doing?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

TerrenceMHS is the other one. Looks like he hasn't started streaming yet today.

https://twitch.tv/terrencemhs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yoshi Wins posted:

TerrenceMHS is the other one. Looks like he hasn't started streaming yet today.

Yeah, he starts later in the day. He'll be going for the record on Defect, though.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Yeah, he starts later in the day. He'll be going for the record on Defect, though.

His schedule says 11 PST , so in 10 minutes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tayter Swift posted:

Oh my GOD this was so loving funny. I don't think I was damaged at all for the entirety of Act III. Abacus did a TON of work here, both with ramping defense and pinging Body Slam

Unfortunately I was never able to find enough card shed to get rid of all my starter cards even with Empty Cage, and exhausting them with True Grit to get to five cards didn't unlock the achievement.

But I did get Common Sense, and earlier today I got Infinity and The Transient from another insane run with Corruption, Dead Branch and Med Kit. Good times.

you want to get an early peace pipe for the 5 card achievement. i'm sure it's technically possible some other way but in practical terms there's really no comparison.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Terrence got to Act 2, which neither Baalorlord nor Jorbs did on their 12th streak attempt.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Drunk Nerds posted:

Terrence got to Act 2, which neither Baalorlord nor Jorbs did on their 12th streak attempt.

Watching him play it's clear I have nowhere near the understanding of the depth of this game that these guys do. I also don't have the patience to analyze my picks like they do.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Tayter Swift posted:

And I forgot the common sense run screencap :p

Just got mine on a Snecko Eye swapped Defect deck that was blessed with two early Streamline+, a couple holograms and a lot of Coolhead'd+ and Cold Snaps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

metachronos posted:

Watching him play it's clear I have nowhere near the understanding of the depth of this game that these guys do. I also don't have the patience to analyze my picks like they do.

Oh man, you never watched any of Lifecoach's VODs.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Jedit posted:

Oh man, you never watched any of Lifecoach's VODs.

I haven't because I've heard people talking about how long he takes and skipped them. Terrence's methodical approach was boring at first but it's growing on me. That twitch plugin that lets you mouse over the deck/relics/status effects is cool as gently caress. Normally I just watch jorbs on YT and skip through the slow parts.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I just had a lethal hand A6 vs the heart, forgot to block first, and beat myself.

My weird streak of not beating the heart continues

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would like to remind people that, yes, Mark of the Bloom does count. Even if you think it might not count, it does count.

Just lost a promising Champ run because of that.

e: very improbably, I managed to win with 17 health remaining by abruptly avoiding any and all Fatigue and leaning heavily on my Counter generation.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 27, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I didnt realise the Watcher with Calipers would be sitting north of 100 block most turns :stare:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TerrenceMHS just got the 12 streak.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Terrence MHS did it: 12 A20 heart kills in a row with rotating characters

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Terrence MHS did it: 12 A20 heart kills in a row with rotating characters

with a reprogram deck lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

palamedes posted:

with a reprogram deck lol

It was a deck with Reprogram in, which is not the same thing. He was using it because he had Pellets so it was free stats.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Jedit posted:

It was a deck with Reprogram in, which is not the same thing. He was using it because he had Pellets so it was free stats.

Like I said, Reprogram deck.

But seriously, did he take Reprogram before or after he got Pellets? It was a double Barrage deck with zero focus so the physical stats were good even if he couldn't purge -focus.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I'd never seen a Jax/Bites deck on Defect before this one. Very cool that the record was set with something unorthodox.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I wonder how long this streak will go. That was some smart play to get to 12.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

palamedes posted:

Like I said, Reprogram deck.

But seriously, did he take Reprogram before or after he got Pellets? It was a double Barrage deck with zero focus so the physical stats were good even if he couldn't purge -focus.

he had the reprogram before pellets

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
All this Common Sense talk reminded me that I never tried for that one. I decided to use Defect and got it on my first try, 90% because I got both Shuriken and Kunai, which combined with a bunch of 0-cost attacks (including some late Claws) was enough scaling to plow through Act 3.

Fun times.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ok tell me what i did right and wrong

i died to the heart, it had about 50hp left

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i'm typically an advocate of having bigger decks but your deck is way too big, and has multiple copies of cards you really never want multiple copies of. there might be some edge case i can't imagine but i'm not exaggerating when i say i don't think there's any scenario where you'd be better off having four consecrates than one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda went a bit overboard with the "dont worry so much about keeping your deck as small as possible" conversation that came up in here recently. It was interesting, having picked up caliper so early in the run, seeing my block in triple digits through most fights. I'll try to have a more focused deck next time!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would like to remind people that, yes, Mark of the Bloom does count. Even if you think it might not count, it does count.

Just lost a promising Champ run because of that.

e: very improbably, I managed to win with 17 health remaining by abruptly avoiding any and all Fatigue and leaning heavily on my Counter generation.

Champ is definitely my favorite Downfall character. The fact that his unique mechanic is on the simpler side of the mod (two stances that have set bonuses for technique cards and finishers) means that the complexity comes from the cards you draft.

There's a lot of ways to build an effective deck that are pretty different from each other in playstyle.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, the Champ feels pretty tightly designed compared to a lot of the other characters in Downfall.

LIke, I could see Champ being an official character. Especially compared to say, Guardian, who has 3 unique gimmicks where all the base game characters have 1 or 0.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To me Champ seems to have the opposite problem of most of the Downfall characters. There is a single mechanic and it's built into every single card in the deck. Yeah, there's some slant towards leaning more on Berserker or Defensive, but a lot of the glue is substantially the same and there are plenty of cards that reward crossing over. It's a similar situation to the Defect, where decks might specialize in certain orb types but at the end of the day it's all :orb:. But even the Defect has other subthemes and vanilla cards to round the deck out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You all say that knowing of the Champs Strike archetype