Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been slowly making my way through the thread for the better part of a week now. I picked one hell of a time to finally catch up. :negative:
Would you like to join the reunion of our Lord and Savior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Uh oh. Inconsistent passage of time is one of the tell-tale signs of a bad case of Hokma.

Who's Bill Gates?

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
So, wait, I didn't really think about the implications of the Better Call Paul segments until now, but... Does Paul keep his memories after dying? Do they bring in the next Paul to do the commentary over his own death in these training videos?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tatters posted:

So, wait, I didn't really think about the implications of the Better Call Paul segments until now, but... Does Paul keep his memories after dying? Do they bring in the next Paul to do the commentary over his own death in these training videos?

Yes

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Tatters posted:

Remember: Knowledge is just pain plus observation (of your own gruesome deaths)!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I choose to believe that Paul is actually a boxbot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I choose to believe that Paul is just too plucky for his own gruesome deaths to bring down

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Tatters posted:

Hokma just resets him again. Death is no escape.

I am guessing that every time they bring Paul back, he's forced to watch all the training videos he's done. It's the only way he'll learn what not to do!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I choose to believe Paul is just a plucky masochist who gets along great with Hod.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Tatters posted:

Given how it works they probably told Paul it's a very good actor when it is infact Paul dying and he just reads the script that being said

Remember: Knowledge is just pain plus observation (of your own gruesome deaths)!

This is also something Lobo Corp would totally do because none of the corps in this series have morals

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Tatters posted:

It's a cointoss, but I suppose Paul might have special memory-retaining privileges as part of their job.
A while of dying/respawning might even hold a part in Paul's generally cheery tone, what with always coming back after whatever terrible incident happens.
As the-paul-that-remembers might put it:

: "Remember, at lobotomy corporation, your termination is just an unpaid vacation!"

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Another way that it might be is that Paul is restored either with his memories of what he had to endure dulled, or he just gets a report of what he endured with the actual memory erased. As such he "knows" he faced down an absolute terror that reached down his throat and pulled him inside out while humming bars from the Song That Shall End the World, but there is enough of a disconnect that he is bright and chipper about it. "I remember that doing that hurt like the Dickens but not the actual pain that was carved into my very soul/that LOOKS like it hurt like the Dickens but I dont remember a thing about it."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Paul just got a much worse version of the deal Talow got.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Maybe what he's shown to narrate is the footage with the cognition filter applied to it? And he thinks it's just a standard corporate animated safety video.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
That was a surprisingly gentle BCP entry! Death was nigh instantaneous!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

Maybe just a skosh. :)
Let me guess, Hokma sets all the Alephs loose, and then resets an employee to level 1 every time you try to pause time in order to teach you a lesson?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dirk the Average posted:

I choose to believe that Paul is actually a boxbot.

Paul is a roomba.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Death is only the beginning.
For Paul.
Because then he has to make powerpoints and tps reports.

Crap, did anyone submitted a office space employee? I WANT MICHAEL BOLTON!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

This is Paul's punishment for panicking at the sight of one sin, as the poor Skeleton didn't deserve such disrespect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paul accepts his many deaths, for One Sin has shown him that no amount of punishment can truly make up for the time he borrowed Bishop's pen without asking and lost it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
It was Malkuth’s pen, actually, but otherwise agreed.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 45: Story

Music: story 3 ending

It’s time to complete the final piece of the puzzle you have been missing. May you have the best of luck on the last leg of your journey. Saying something like I hope you will finally be happy, or that some of the leftover pain can be relieved now, have long become empty words. There are several more things I would like to say, but let me sum them up into one sentence.

I enjoyed being with you for not only these forty-five days, but also the moments you don’t remember.

………

He holds in his hands a warmth that looks so comforting, but he can shatter people’s hearts like they’re nothing.

In summary: Angela says that we're almost done with the journey, and wishes us success in the future. She then lets us know that there's one more Sephirah to meet, and warns us about him being dangerous.

So there's a tenth? Huh. Guess I should have assumed, since we're going to be opening Architecture soon. We'll meet tomorrow, I take it?

That is correct, A.

Thanks. I guess we'll go see what Hokma wants, then. If we're lucky it'll just be something benign.

...Yes, manager.

Music: Maya

I’d advise you not to be so languid.

Um, is it okay if I do this?

Hey, don’t worry too much about it, you won’t find a professional like me often.

When we advance, the scene shifts to static…

And when it clears…

Music: Yet again, the background isn't in the OST and there's a lot of effects on this one, so.

Video: Hokma 5

They could be the present, or even from the future. There are people who once loved you, and there are employees who think that they are happy here. There is also Angela, a cold imitation of Carmen. Is this not the heaven that has burrowed into your mind, the place you have been yearning for?

So I plead with you, will you not be satisfied already? We are so desperately continuing to exist, even if it means living like we are now. What right do you have to turn everything to ash? Furthermore… It is clear this story has no need for an end. Think about it.

You never were ready. You were not prepared to accept her death, so you created a being wholly shrouded in a sense of loss. And now you are just struggling to move forward, blindly fumbling along the obscure trails of your past deeds. Throughout this entire process, you were never sincerely willing to do what you did.

Clicking this option makes a ticking clock sound in the background.

You are not at all honest with yourself, even in the gravest of choices you must make. Even if I were to send you away, you would likely return to me after having yet another fresh start. It is an uncontrollable law of this place we must follow. This whole facility has become one giant ever-running clockwork.

It never rests. It never rushes. It is not set to follow any specific person. It simply walks forever, maintaining the same pace as it always has.

This time we get faster ticking, and the screen begins to shake more.

It is natural to feel fear when one is subject to the whims of the air and sea. However, there is no need for you to fear the counting of the clock anymore. I shall always welcome you. I will always console you.

This time it's more ticking, and a clock chime.

You have not changed your decision in the end.

The hour of silent waiting has long since ended. When I no longer feared the impending night, I chose to love this place. But if you still wish to break this egg at all costs…

This is where the video ends, for those who clicked it up above.

Music: When it Rains

This… This is nothing but a seed of calamity, drenched in sin. Oh, by the Wings! Your mind has been soaked with grief, even more severely than I thought. Please, just… Why can’t you just stop now? You and I… We tried our best. With your career and wealth, you’ll be able to live the rest of your life in the Nest with no problem whatsoever. So please, I urge you, stop here.

With everyone’s sacrifice, I came this far and reached the ranks of the Wings. But there was nobody left to celebrate the moment with. The silence was the signal to start my task for everyone. We lost something in us, every single day. We used inhumane methods to extract information from the woman we captured from the Head. We passed out plans to AIs that hadn’t even been named yet.

The sound of the waves were so far away, and there was no time left to stay. I lost the last man who stood by me. It was a tragedy, but I didn’t hide it.

To bring back those who had forsaken the embrace of the earth. To hide and lock away the Seed of secret. I was the only one who remained. I wanted to be forgotten like a mirage.

Music: Boss Warning

In summary: Hokma tries to talk us down from continuing on with our project, saying he's happy here and that everything is perfect for us. We refuse, and he promises to protect the facility over us. We then remember when Benjamin left us, leaving A completely alone as he put his plan into motion. Also Angela was presumably there but A doesn't mention her because she's just a robot.

Hey! You told me you wouldn't go crazy like the others!

I haven't, A. I remain in full control of my faculties. I'm simply going to stop you, and have you replaced with a more agreeable A.

You realize you're only putting off the problem, not solving it-right?

Perhaps… but if you are the genius I remember admiring so much, then surely you saw this coming and accounted for it, yes?

...Fine. See you tomorrow, Hokma.

I received the notification. Well done, Manager.

I didn't even do anything, he just got pissy on his own.

Nevertheless, we have the key necessary to proceed to the next stage. I trust you will be taking care of things tomorrow? If not, I am still quite capable of shutting him off and taking over his duties.

Don't worry about it. Managers have their own work, too.

I don't think that phrase is being used quite how A always had meant it…

Don't care. I need to stretch before the workday starts. I have a feeling it's going to be a doozy.

...Yes, A.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Hokma tries to kill us because he's an AI and 20 GOTO 10

Hey! Chesed! What's the meaning of this?!

The sleep orders? Come on, we both know what those mean~

Yeah, but there's nobody left who's unstable! We've all squared off with the manager!

Well, not all of us…

Oh hi, Tiphereth. Is Tiphereth with you?

Yeah. We wanted to check on the proposals for today's meeting beforehand.

Hmph. It's just to make sure you're doing a good job!

People who are left… Well, when I think about it I guess there is one, but Binah's floor isn't even complete yet.

Oh no, it's not her. It'd be my very rude lower neighbor.

What? That fogey?!

I haven't had to face him either. Doesn't that mean it might be me..?

...don't be stupid, Tiphereth!

I just thought that I could be the broken one this time. Tiphereth and everyone else seemed to get more stable right after, so I thought...

W...well… I guess it's not impossible~

Your department's already plenty stable…

If you were going to break down, you'd just get replaced again.

Oh… right. I guess that has happened before, hasn't it?

Come to think of it, you haven't had any strange glitches since I was fixed.

You're right! He hasn't. Hm. You don't think…

Lady Angela definitely was involved somehow~

That… that stupid boss of ours! I oughtta give her a piece of my mind!

I wouldn't. It's better to swallow that anger than just have her replace you. We'll just have to trust in the new manager.

...yeah. If it's him it'll be fine.

Well then, since everyone's here… how about I put some coffee on and we chat a while before the day starts?

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 6, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm probably not the first person to bring this up, but way in the background of Hokma's scenes, isn't that the Plague Doctor White Angel's clock?

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
So last chance to place your bets, how do you think Hokma going to screw with us?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Onean posted:

I'm probably not the first person to bring this up, but way in the background of Hokma's scenes, isn't that the Plague Doctor White Angel's clock?

All clocks look similar

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Fanart post has been updated again. I'm mostly saying this so that I know where to start looking next time. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Chaosbrain posted:

So last chance to place your bets, how do you think Hokma going to screw with us?

At the very least I expect him to mess with pausing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

goblin week posted:

All clocks look similar

Yeah, but not identical.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I mean, clocks that fancy don't just grow on trees. I bet the Plague Doctor just nicked Hokma's spare :v:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Chaosbrain posted:

Based on his whole obsession with the loop and knowledge of what's really going on, reverting agents' stats to where they were on previous days. Presumably weakening them further and even removing agents entirely as the day goes on.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Yandere Hokma :stwoon:

Man I love the writing in this game

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

Is this not the heaven that has burrowed into your mind
I wonder if this choice of words was deliberate.

Pictured: everyone who likes the A[sshole].

Hokma behaves like a clingy yandere boyfriend.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You know what? I like that Hokma's "meltdown" isn't some incredibly deep past trauma that he regrets, it's just a clear and personal difference of opinion and belief. Although considering it seems like he just "left" instead of dying in the past, why is he a boxbot now? Guess we'll find out!

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

MiiNiPaa posted:

I wonder if this choice of words was deliberate.

There are some similarly phrased word choices later on so I'd say probably yes. I wonder if there are more early on.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Evil Kit posted:

You know what? I like that Hokma's "meltdown" isn't some incredibly deep past trauma that he regrets, it's just a clear and personal difference of opinion and belief. Although considering it seems like he just "left" instead of dying in the past, why is he a boxbot now? Guess we'll find out!
Well, if he was B, and if B's messages were a repeat of something that happened in the first cycle to make everything the same, as well as Angela's response to them, maybe Angela just straight up killed and converted him?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Evil Kit posted:

In the last update, there was the line "We passed out plans to AIs that hadn’t even been named yet."

I don't think any of the boxbots are really the original people in any meaningful sense anymore, no more than Angela is Carmen. It's entirely possible that the original B left LobCorp, but a boxbot like him still got created. Actually that might even explain the "B" we saw earlier who contacted X and then got murdered by Angela off-screen (or so she says). He might actually have been the real B, and this could be the only time that that has actually happened ever since the loops started.

The only thing that doesn't really fit in there is the brainmeats we saw when Tiphereth got "reset". Could be some weird wetware AI or something though.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

In the last update, there was the line "We passed out plans to AIs that hadn’t even been named yet."

Look, you try to come up with a naming scheme for ten robots that both reflects their personality and has something to do with Carmen's weird tree fixation. It's hard, ok.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Arcvasti posted:

Look, you try to come up with a naming scheme for ten robots that both reflects their personality and has something to do with Carmen's weird tree fixation. It's hard, ok.

Chesed is Willow because he's a loving crybaby.
Gebura is Poison Oak because she's a goddamn toxic bitch.
Hokma is Kudzu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
What's kudzu?