Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darth TNT posted:

"He's fine. He's a flashlight!"

She :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So...it's a behelit then. It looks like its straight up a cube shaped behelit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gologle posted:

So...it's a behelit then. It looks like its straight up a cube shaped behelit.

Well, the Godhand had to keep up with the times.

Lately, boxes are really popular.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
blast has to be a good guy because he was given such a cool face

copy
Jul 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

blast has to be a good guy because he was given such a cool face

and a cool costume and infinity symbol powers. No way this dude is bad. I won't hear of it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I somehow never even thought that Blast would have actual powers. I just assumed he'd be really strong.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I always had it in my head that Blast was another Saitama, but with hair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

"He's fine. He's a flashlight!"

Please don't misgender Best Girl Manako.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

I somehow never even thought that Blast would have actual powers. I just assumed he'd be really strong.

We don't know if he can warp space because of his powers, because of some kind of device, or because he is really strong.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

This is neither here nor there, but if King could control a robot with an arcade pad it would be one of the strongest characters in the series, right?

Also,

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Please don't misgender Best Girl Manako.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

graham cracker posted:

This is neither here nor there, but if King could control a robot with an arcade pad it would be one of the strongest characters in the series, right?

Genos and King with Shalnark's Nen ability would be an unstoppable duo, yes.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Is it safe to say we've hit the 1/2 mile marker at this point?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Blast specifically mentioned time flooring differently. He could be Noah Kaiba taking them to a virtual world for all we know!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Probably not, unless more stuff gets changed from the webcomic.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Blast saying he does crazy stuff as a hobby strengthens the Saitama parallels. I don't think he'll become part of Saitama's S-tier fan club anytime soon, but I can see them getting along surprisingly well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

He HAS to be dead at this point, right? Like, I feel like Murata went to great pains showing him being ground into dust, right before being plunged into Earth's molten core...

Also, my God, they killed Zombieman!!!! ONE you son of a bitch!!!

...But in all seriousness, I'm so pumped to see the Cadres emerging. I have to think things are going to move along quickly now, since its unlikely we'll see Saitama again before he's at the surface to join the fight.

RareAcumen posted:

Why are people convinced that Blast's warping is slow like an escalator?

It doesn't matter how fast it is, they explicitly just said time moves slower down there so they're going to move at the speed of plot now.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I'm just suspicious of blast as to me he doesn't seem to be all that interested in being a hero or saving people. He says that collecting cenobite puzzle boxes is his hobby and along with the tatsumaki flash back and his arrival underground saving people seems like an unintentional side effect of collecting boxes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are you trying to shame his box collecting hobby? What have you done with YOUR life, huh? Not collect boxes I bet.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Collecting all of those could be really fun for him, maybe he's just enjoying his Skinner box

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Saitama is going to casually mention meeting Blast during his tatsumaki fight, isn’t he

or he’ll completely forget him, probly that

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 27, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wish i had a box

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

TowerofOil posted:

I'm just suspicious of blast as to me he doesn't seem to be all that interested in being a hero or saving people. He says that collecting cenobite puzzle boxes is his hobby and along with the tatsumaki flash back and his arrival underground saving people seems like an unintentional side effect of collecting boxes.

He's completed the main quest already so now he's just going around finding all the collectibles

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not Important posted:

He's completed the main quest already so now he's just going around finding all the collectibles

Maybe this is what Saitama needs, have Genos setup some BotW Korok Seed type collectible across the world.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

I wish i had a box

Sex changes are getting more and more accessible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

Saitama is going to casually mention meeting Blast during his tatsumaki fight, isn’t he

or he’ll completely forget him, probly that

saitama is pretty much guaranteed to forget some random stranger showing up out of nowhere, saying cryptic poo poo and then leaving

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Saitama and flash are going to get to the surface and he'll immediately ask who that old guy was

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

It doesn't matter how fast it is, they explicitly just said time moves slower down there so they're going to move at the speed of plot now.

My point didn't have anything to do with how much slower time was moving or how quick Blast's warp is. I only think that the story will move quicker now because there now isn't anything standing between Saitama and the surface, and I don't know if ONE would be willing to go, like, two years before letting us see Saitama again.

EDIT:
Though I suppose we could get a Boros situation where Saitama fights Garou (the main boss of the arc) while the S Class fight all the cadres...

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 27, 2021

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
No dude, what he was saying is they may have been in that dark cave for a while since time moves slower there - thus the S ranks will be on their own fighting the cadres until Saitama shows up later on

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Blast will turn out to be equal to Saitama but forever always too busy with cube collecting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TowerofOil posted:

The box stuff is only in the manga while Blast stuff with Tatsumaki isn't, for whatever that is worth. The context of the flashback is also different, and very much has a stronger sense of Tatsumaki's fondness for Blast.

e: His outfit is also a lot less busy, and he looks....very much like a Saitama style classic caped superhero. In fact I'm going to go so far as to say that this art change actually makes a character look worse than the web comic version.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 27, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just treat this version as separate from the webcomic, at this point. It's really tiring to hear any discussion of what is currently going on in the manga drowned by "BUT THE WEBCOMIC". The webcomic hasn't been canceled, it's still out there. It's totally fine for the story to have two different forks and interpretation and to prefer one, but it's not particularly critically useful to shut down interpretations of one based on the fact that they don't seem to fit the other.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think it's reasonable to have the webcomic as a point of reference when evaluating storytelling and aesthetic decisions made in the manga, though I agree that expecting them to be the same is misguided

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The question of intent and how something lands becomes interesting when there are actual, substantial changes to the story. Like this box stuff is 100% new, and it actually makes things land differently. As was said, someone got a sketchier reaction to Blast because of him hunting down boxes. Is that intentional, or a side-effect of rewriting scenes? It's by no means unique to Onepunch-Man [There's an endless stream of web comics and web novels that clean up some of the edgier bullshit, or trim down the internal monologues, when translating to a new medium], but it's interesting to see a writer have another take on his own work. Some writers do great, and some second guess themselves and gently caress up what worked in the first place.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, comparisons for the sake of contextualization are obviously totally fine, my point was more that the original message came across as "that interpretation isn't viable because it doesn't fit with the webcomic" but like... this isn't the webcomic.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I still think it's very likely that the main plot beats are likely to play out very similarly to the webcomic (and if I'm wrong, thats fine. Im totally ok with the manga being its own thing).

When you think about it, now that the Cadres are emerging, everything that has occurred over the last half-dozen chapters got us to the point that the webcomic got to in one chapter (Tatsumaki lifts the MA base, and all the cadres are on the surface). The main difference now is that the chess prices have been arranged differently.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I get the temptation to discuss how the manga is different from the webcomic in the manga thread, but maybe it makes more sense in the webcomic thread. Is this kind of comparing going on in the anime thread too?

It also does kind of pull me out of the story or something being constantly told that this version is ~different~. Obviously the redraws don't help either. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm not sure whats better, all the 'Just wait till you see whats coming!!!' or the 'This is different to the webcomic' posts.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not sure whats better, all the 'Just wait till you see whats coming!!!' or the 'This is different to the webcomic' posts.

It's the same, but different, and all together better. Hope this helps.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I too would prefer a slower manga thread where the webcomic comparisons happened in the webcomic thread.

This chapter was cool. Blast seems cool and I'm really curious about who it was who left those big telephones all over the planet for Blast to collect. Awfully nice to give him a hobby.

Hard agree that the "Does he just attack everyone he sees?" line is gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I'm really glad to find this thread, keeping up with new chapters by watching the Reddit forum puts a lot of thirsty Fubuki fan drawings on my home page there.