Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Thank Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Now the Phillies only need 5 more starting players and 2 pitchers

Progress

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

Now the Phillies only need 5 more starting players and 2 pitchers

Progress

Also a bullpen and some more bench players

And they fired most of the front office, so

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1354170055983034369

Brad Hand should absolutely be getting more than 50k for winning the Silver Slugger.

How much money are the Nats deferring at this point for every season?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is Carlos Baerga the new weedlord42069?

https://twitter.com/manoffewtalents/status/1354197025508581376

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how the gently caress could no-one else beat $5M upfront and a load of incentives he'll never hit for Hand?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

how the gently caress could no-one else beat $5M upfront and a load of incentives he'll never hit for Hand?

I have to imagine that beyond the money he gets to close which I'm not entirely sure any other teams were going to guarantee him.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1354200046854496256

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

What do all those mayors get out of this though?

I know what the obvious answer is, but I feel like the owners could pull this off without the cost of bribing all those people. So why bother?

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

bawfuls posted:

Yeah he groomed a 15 year old girl then “dated” her for many years and gaslit the poo poo outta her when it became public, she ultimately took her own life.

Jesus Christ :(

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

What do all those mayors get out of this though?

I know what the obvious answer is, but I feel like the owners could pull this off without the cost of bribing all those people. So why bother?

I read somewhere that if they delay the season the covid numbers will drop enough that they can rationalize having open restaurants and more tourism bucks. That was the theory, at least. So MLB will actively kill a ton of people and spread the virus more.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The thought of Andrelton Simmons on a division rival makes me really, really sad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dinosaurs! posted:

That same guy just released a new video about a MLB lawsuit with a former Angels clubhouse manager accused of distributing a grip substance throughout the league. It fingers a lot of big names.

I’d like to think it’s mostly conspiracy theory, especially the supposedly-damning clip of Cole it keeps showing, but these significant jumps in spin rate are a little suspicious.

https://youtu.be/-SDIb2rf9EA

Have I been pronouncing Troy Percival's name wrong this whole time or did this guy pronounce it really strangely for no reason

5:30 for the pronunciation he uses

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
boooooooooooooo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1354206949198471170?s=20

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nobody made it into the Hall?!?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There were FOURTEEN blank ballots. Revoke those ballots please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bonds and Clemens didn't really gain any votes of significance

I can't imagine that will change next year

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Curt Schilling is an awful human being but he should 100% be in the Hall of Fame.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So Schilling only gained 4 votes and that was before a lot of voters asked to take their ballots back when he approved of the capitol riot. Normally I'd say a player who misses by so little gets in the next year but who knows now

I think Rolen will eventually get in but he absolutely should have been first ballot

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Destroy these people

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

gently caress the BBWAA

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
When was the last empty HOF class?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Latroy Hawkins got two votes somehow! Aramis Ramirez got four!

Curt Schilling 285 (71.1 percent)
Barry Bonds 248 (61.8)
Roger Clemens 247 (61.6)
Scott Rolen 212 (52.9)
Omar Vizquel 197 (49.1)
Billy Wagner 186 (46.4)
Todd Helton 180 (44.9)
Gary Sheffield 163 (40.6)
Andruw Jones 136 (33.9)
Jeff Kent 130 (32.4)
Manny Ramírez 113 (28.2)
Sammy Sosa 68 (17.0)
Andy Pettitte 55 (13.7)
Mark Buehrle 44 (11.0)
Torii Hunter 38 (9.5)
Bobby Abreu 35 (8.7)
Tim Hudson 21 (5.2)
Aramis Ramírez 4 (1.0)
LaTroy Hawkins 2 (0.5)
Barry Zito 1 (0.2)
A.J. Burnett 0, Michael Cuddyer 0, Dan Haren 0, Nick Swisher 0, Shane Victorino 0.

Someone's going to need to explain to me why Torii Hunter is getting that many votes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is actually my preferred outcome. I already knew the Hall voting was ridiculous. I knew Rolen and Helton weren't getting in. I did not want to reward Curt loving Schilling in an attempt to push back against that slightly. Spiteful perhaps, but gently caress Curt Schilling.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

After listening to sports people talk about how Hank Aaron was the REAL home run king this week I don't see Bonds coming close next year.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

When was the last empty HOF class?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Bullshit posted:

After listening to sports people talk about how Hank Aaron was the REAL home run king this week I don't see Bonds coming close next year.
He and Clemens have been stuck around 55-60 percent the last several years and I don't see there being this big push to get them in next year. There are a lot of voters that just aren't going to vote for them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blue Jays signed Siemien to 1/18. While 18 mil is good chunk of change, being a FA SS next year has to suck mightily

FlamingLiberal posted:

One one hand, same. OTOH, without blank ballots counting as a vote, I think Schilling sneaks in?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone's going to need to explain to me why Torii Hunter is getting that many votes

Birthday party kid grew up to be a BBWAA voter

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

He and Clemens have been stuck around 55-60 percent the last several years and I don't see there being this big push to get them in next year. There are a lot of voters that just aren't going to vote for them.

Yup and they are pretty resolute about it. Bill Madden was on MLB Radio yesterday just talking about how badly they all cheated the game and blah blah blah.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Scott Rolen at 53% gently caress outta here BBWAA

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewsimonmlb/status/1354207318397878280?s=21

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The most iconic moment of his career was robbing a home run from Barry Bonds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh boy, A-Rod is eligible for the first time next fall. The only surefire HOFer on that list is David Ortiz, who seems to get a pass on the steroid thing for whatever reason.

In 2023 the only one who is even borderline is Carlos Beltran, and I'm thinking he is probably not getting in.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So if none of Bonds/Schilling/Clemens gets in next year, which seems likely, do they get a shot at the Veteran's Committee or whatever it's called, later on down the line? How does that work?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh boy, A-Rod is eligible for the first time next fall. The only surefire HOFer on that list is David Ortiz, who seems to get a pass on the steroid thing for whatever reason.

In 2023 the only one who is even borderline is Carlos Beltran, and I'm thinking he is probably not getting in.

Beltran is 100% not getting in which is a shame because as a player he deserves to

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Scott Rolen at 53% gently caress outta here BBWAA

Seriously between him and Sheffield it’s a loving joke. I can see people not going all in on Helton because of the Coors factor but one of the best 3rd baseman to ever play and a member of the 500 home run club with no steroid association????

Anyone turning in a blank ballot needs their BBWAA membership taken away immediately.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I'd feel a little less hostile towards the sanctimonious sports writers who keep out PED'ers but they then do stupid poo poo like deny Rolen, which makes me think they are just out of touch and grumpy.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's good to know there's literally no reason for me to even pretend to care about the HoF any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrMojok posted:

So if none of Bonds/Schilling/Clemens gets in next year, which seems likely, do they get a shot at the Veteran's Committee or whatever it's called, later on down the line? How does that work?
Yes, they do.

The current VC arrangement is that every year they vote on a different era. So they rotate which groups they are looking at. Sadly the vote from this year got postponed and it's likely that Dick Allen would have made it in, but instead he died before they could vote again in the fall.

I believe it would be a few years before Bonds/Clemens/Schilling would be up again.