Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmfao

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1354211030440710144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Curt Schilling is an awful human being but he should 100% be in the Hall of Fame.
After he’s dead.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GPTribefan posted:

Seriously between him and Sheffield it’s a loving joke. I can see people not going all in on Helton because of the Coors factor but one of the best 3rd baseman to ever play and a member of the 500 home run club with no steroid association????

Anyone turning in a blank ballot needs their BBWAA membership taken away immediately.

Sheffield was in the Mitchell report and admitted to using the cream

Good

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I bet they don’t remove him from the ballot though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh please. "Now that its clear I won't get in I don't want to be in."

He's pathetic and transparent above everything else.

bawfuls posted:

I bet they don’t remove him from the ballot though

Nor should they. That would just be doing him a favor.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That letter he wrote is pure insanity, what the absolute gently caress is wrong with his brain

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Snowflake alert!!!!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The bloody sock was fake right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I am a great and wonderful person and all the people who know me think so and I'm addressing a single thing people actual do hate me for but just throwing a bunch of other people in front of the bus and telling you why you should sympathize with me."

Its just a narcissist's pathetic speech to his mirror.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I cant remember the last time a 3B was elected to the HoF besides Chipper a few years ago. The hell does the BBWAA want from that position?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Poque posted:

That letter he wrote is pure insanity, what the absolute gently caress is wrong with his brain

a certain event in 2008 likely blew the rational thought part of his brain out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I cant remember the last time a 3B was elected to the HoF besides Chipper a few years ago. The hell does the BBWAA want from that position?

I guess we'll find out when Beltre becomes eligible

I think the last before Chipper was Boggs

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

GPTribefan posted:

Seriously between him and Sheffield it’s a loving joke. I can see people not going all in on Helton because of the Coors factor but one of the best 3rd baseman to ever play and a member of the 500 home run club with no steroid association????

Anyone turning in a blank ballot needs their BBWAA membership taken away immediately.

What? Sheffield admitted to being a BALCO client.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

3B has historically been underrepresented in the HoF. For whatever reason the writers have long struggled to form coherent standards for 3B.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

A shortstop level glove and a 1B bat.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Lmao schilling is such a crybaby, eat poo poo fucko

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's good to know there's literally no reason for me to even pretend to care about the HoF any more

Congrats on becoming a BWAA voter!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

lol taking his ball and going home

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ithrow88/status/1354219811585150977

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here's my quick and steady rule on the HOF: If you've done something that gets you barred from MLB, you get barred from the HOF. What Pete Rose did got him barred from baseball, so he should be barred from the HOF. MLB didn't ban people for steroids. Even now MLB only bans after three positive tests.

And yes Barry Bonds beat his wife, but unless she doesn't want him to get into the HOF or MLB adopts a better domestic violence policy (and let's be clear THEY SHOULD), it's irrelevant. I'm not fighting that he's a lovely person, but his brand of shittiness doesn't get you banned from baseball.

EDIT: I wrote "negative tests" because I'm in a mood from other things right now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 27, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bob Nightengale as revealed himself as the Latroy Hawkins voter.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/01/25/baseball-hall-fame-ballot-latroy-hawkins/6696285002/

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm overjoyed, because assuming there is a ceremony this year that means that the 2020 inductees get all the time, and y'all bastards have to listen to Hawk Harrelson spend 20 minutes hearing him opine on TWTW.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bawfuls posted:

3B has historically been underrepresented in the HoF. For whatever reason the writers have long struggled to form coherent standards for 3B.

Sheffield hurt again!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please be careful if you insult Curt Schilling on here and your username can be traced back to you

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Schilling confuses me so much. just... stop being a sociopath and you can be a hero and an all-time great. Where’s the downside?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

It’s not gonna happen. First of all the ceremony this year will include last year’s inductees Jeter and Walker, since last year’s ceremony didn’t happen. Second, Schilling is the only one in the tracker who’s lost votes since last year, so chances are he just misses it again this year.

Yeah I didn't realize we were right up against the deadline, I thought he had more runway for votes.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Has Schilling ever claimed to be autistic before cause that sure is a new reason for being a piece of poo poo.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Has Schilling ever claimed to be autistic before cause that sure is a new reason for being a piece of poo poo.

He just got terminal online brain in the '00s.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

His angry letter looks like he's saying he has Asperger's, but I wonder if I'm just reading that wrong. I know that Schilling's son Grant was diagnosed with it.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Here's my quick and steady rule on the HOF: If you've done something that gets you barred from MLB, you get barred from the HOF. What Pete Rose did got him barred from baseball, so he should be barred from the HOF. MLB didn't ban people for steroids. Even now MLB only bans after three positive tests.

And yes Barry Bonds beat his wife, but unless she doesn't want him to get into the HOF or MLB adopts a better domestic violence policy (and let's be clear THEY SHOULD), it's irrelevant. I'm not fighting that he's a lovely person, but his brand of shittiness doesn't get you banned from baseball.

EDIT: I wrote "negative tests" because I'm in a mood from other things right now.

I used to feel this way and to an extent still do but more and more I'm coming around to the idea that it's 2021 and being an exceptional rear end in a top hat of any flavor shouldn't be handwaved away. Until people like Schilling (or Bonds or whomever fits the narrative) are told gently caress off, we won't be memorializing you because your character absolutely sucks, then it'll never change. Ty Cobb was a hundred fuckin years ago nearly, how the gently caress has this taken so long for people (myself included) to say no, being a despicable piece of poo poo is not okay

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Schillings letter makes total sense if he thinks his Twitter account is set to private. Maybe someone should tell him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's good to know there's literally no reason for me to even pretend to care about the HoF any more

IMO it's good to remember that the Hall is just a museum. The writers can keep players out but they can't erase history. The home run chase happened, bloody sock happened, 762 happened, Manny being Manny, Sheffield bat waggle, Andruw Jones diving catches, Billy Wagner saves, all of it happened.

A lot of the best players from my childhood won't be in the HOF, and I've made peace with that. Who cares what a bunch of sportswriters thinks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

IMO it's good to remember that the Hall is just a museum. The writers can keep players out but they can't erase history. The home run chase happened, bloody sock happened, 762 happened, Manny being Manny, Sheffield bat waggle, Andruw Jones diving catches, Billy Wagner saves, all of it happened.

All of this stuff is actually in the museum, too! Like I care about the HoF insofar as I want to see players rewarded for having great careers and it clearly is important to them to get that honor, but the actual hall with the plaques, as I've said many times, is the least interesting part of Cooperstown by a long shot.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1354238547000254472

Simba to the Twins, kinda surprising to me. I thought he'd land in Cincinnati or Philadelphia.

Wish him all the best though, he's a joy to watch if he can stay healthy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Again I beat the drum for my elegant solution to the “great baseball players who were also despicable people” dilemma: induct them after they die!

Curt Schilling was an excellent pitcher, who’s play is certainly worthy of induction. But he’s a nazi piece of poo poo who can’t even shut the gently caress up long enough to receive the recognition he so desperately wants. So induct him after he’s dead and can’t enjoy or exploit his HoF status.

Roger Clemens may be the greatest pitcher of all time, but he also groomed a child and likely committed statutory rape. So induct him once he’s dead and can no longer bask in the glory and adulation of Hall of Fame membership.

The list goes on but you get the idea.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 27, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Twins are cool and good and now they're cooler and gooder.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It still feels bad to give lovely people a permanent honor, even in death, unless they also open the "these guys were great ballplayers and great pieces of poo poo" wing and move everyone who belongs there from history into it. An extra plaque under the main plaque to explain why they to keep things uniform.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

His first W

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1354238547000254472

Simba to the Twins, kinda surprising to me. I thought he'd land in Cincinnati or Philadelphia.

Wish him all the best though, he's a joy to watch if he can stay healthy

thank you for not going to Philly, Simba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Who's left at ss? Didi and Freddy Galvis?