Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I thought Erin was better as a idol so I had eri idol saeko host but host kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hostess is basically what you dip into to get Ice Spreader so the gals can deal cold damage. Eri's got one of the best blade attacks in the game as a crossclass skill from her default class so people generally make her a Dealer so she never stops attacking, between that and Darts Airstrike.

Saeko is probably your default healer due to the other option being a much better attacker, and that's without even getting into stat growths.

If you have the dlc classes don't forget to dip into Matriarch for the AK-47 skill.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I actually had Saeko in Hostess for the whole game pretty much. I don't why but Sparkling Cannon was consistently one of my highest damaging moves, on par with or better than most Essence moves, plus inflicting two status effects.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I have the dlc classes but haven't unlocked em yet.

Eri and saeko don't have aoe yet which is annoying do either class ever get it although air is jank in this game anyways

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

Eri and saeko don't have aoe yet which is annoying do either class ever get it although air is jank in this game anyways

Eri gets an AOE that absolutely deletes encounters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Make sure Saeko is always opening with Lovedrunk Typhoon. It'll charm some enemies, give you less to deal with while you take some out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I've unlocked that yet their job level is only 10

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But they're not in their default classes, are those default class skills or host and idol skills

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Level Eri in her default class until you get thumbtack scatter. You won’t regret it, it’s perfect for ending trash encounters fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eri's default job gets really good AoE.

People usually make Saeko an Idol instead of Eri because Saeko's default job sucks and Eri's rules.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do hope that Y8 doesn't have any characters with their default jobs being their best.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do hope that Y8 doesn't have any characters with their default jobs being their best.

I also hope they don't do optional characters again. I felt bad that every time Ichi gives a big speech about friendship or family and it pans to his party members, Eri was always just off in the bathroom or whatever.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Most of my healing was done by either Ichiban, or bentos.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is night queen any good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Agreed. I want reasons to use other jobs aside from "learn a skill" or "I got bored and wanted to try it out"

Is night queen any good

Ehh, it's all right. The backflip attack you can learn from it is pretty strong but otherwise I didn't really see much use for the job.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nanba healed me all the way through the game the first time.

Night Queen is alright. It's not bad, it's just there. It has a similar tornado move to Barmaid that in practice never hits more than two people but at least might charm people it doesn't. Its only real offering is the candle fire attack that you can use in other jobs with better stats and moves.

e: Dealer's Airstrike Darts is my AoE of choice for the ladies. It hits three times regardless of how many enemies there are and it doesn't have positional requirements, as well as being a Gun for some reason.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 27, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Night Queen exists so you can learn the Jewel Smasher move and then spend way too long trying to gauge your damage output so you can finish off the final boss by having Saeko kick him in the balls.

No trophy for that, but still worth it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lockdown Kiryu deserves more respect goddamnit

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alacron posted:

Most of my healing was done by either Ichiban, or bentos.

I make sure everyone gets that musician skill with the heal over time just to cover all my bases. It’s handy on those goddamn pier reviewer fights that go forever.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Could be worse, it could be like Character 5 where your 6sp Head Trauma inexplicably does more damage than late-game 40+sp skills.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The second secret genius of Ichiban being the protagonist is that we can now have a wide cast of lovable characters and a story that keeps track of them and keeps them around in the future instead of introducing and killing them in the same game or banishing them to the shadow realm like Sayama.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

RareAcumen posted:

The second secret genius of Ichiban being the protagonist is that we can now have a wide cast of lovable characters and a story that keeps track of them and keeps them around in the future instead of introducing and killing them in the same game or banishing them to the shadow realm like Sayama.

Adachi DMV Simulator when.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Just concluded the Big Fight of chapter 14

In the end the duel between man and beast fell to the latter

Don't gently caress with Nancy.

Yes, she did indeed get the final blow (granted it took one more turn of poison ticking).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Just concluded the Big Fight of chapter 14

In the end the duel between man and beast fell to the latter

Don't gently caress with Nancy.

Yes, she did indeed get the final blow (granted it took one more turn of poison ticking).

:boom:

https://i.imgur.com/jUtwOl1.mp4

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh I thought Erin was better as a idol so I had eri idol saeko host but host kinda sucks.
saeko is the mage and eri is the physical fighter between the two

which is to say saeko has slightly higher healing and magic stats and eri has slightly higher physical attack. not really that big of a difference but it's there

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I think I'm going to have to take a break before I hit Y7, I have a huge backlog to get through (Spiderman, Bloodborne, and FFXV being the biggest.) Besides 6 I got every game on the cheap so I'll wait a year or two.
I'm not gonna tell you what not to play, and maybe it got better after all the patches, but speaking as a fairly big Final Fantasy head I'd give FFXV a miss. Like entirely.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

re: ff15, been playing it for a while and can't quite work out when the game's meant to actually start. it feels like that bit at the start of a yakuza game where everything's blocked off and you can't actually do anything

also, why can't yagami buy drinks from vending machines in judgement!! how am i supposed to get wasted on two drinks and then have a glass of water and be fine?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man I was kinda dissappointed in Kiwami 1 after 0 but Kiwami 2 has been god tier so far in everything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have started playing Yakuza 0 and now every time I see something cool I immediately see Kiryu's "That's rad!" face

so yeah it's already improved my life immensely

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

My lowkey favorite Yakuza instrumental tracks are the ones that sound like they're from Sonic games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not gonna tell you what not to play, and maybe it got better after all the patches, but speaking as a fairly big Final Fantasy head I'd give FFXV a miss. Like entirely.

Yeah 15 is okay but it really doesn't have much of a story, the boys are good characters but the narrative is so lifeless. 16 looks loving great though, and it's the 14 team so that bodes well. Shadowbringers is one of the best FF stories ever.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Shadowbringers is one of the best FF stories ever.

It really, really is. I like this video where the main scenario writer for Shadowbringers is moved to tears over the huge audience reception she gets when she's introduced :3:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingWrongElkBCouch

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

garfield hentai posted:

It really, really is. I like this video where the main scenario writer for Shadowbringers is moved to tears over the huge audience reception she gets when she's introduced :3:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingWrongElkBCouch

Aww that's sweet. The validation from fans must feel unbelievable after writing for a series with so much baggage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I really liked FF15 but I didn't have any expectations for it or know much about it beforehand. It's an FF game so I bought and played it and I really liked it. All the complaints about it are valid though.

Anyway Yakuza. I started playing Like a Dragon and I love it. I'm having a blast. I'm only in chapter 5 and I just unlocked jobs recently so it's nice to read the last couple pages and see what sucks and what doesn't. Right now I'm really not feeling like changing jobs for a few reasons:

1 - Almost all the jobs I unlocked are support jobs and I don't want a party of all support people

2 - The stat drops really suck. Holy poo poo do they suck

3 - I actually like everyone's default jobs because they're all focused on damage with a little healing and support here and there

What are the best early jobs? Seems like Musician for Nanba is OK?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Musician’s ok on Namba but I like him better in an attacking based class. That one’s a support class so I like giving it to someone tanky, like Adachi. The stat drops aren’t great but once you get a few job ranks, which takes no time at all, you’ll be back at full force. That said, don’t swap all your party members at once because otherwise everyone’s fighting at half capacity and you’re in for a bad time. Also as far as default jobs go, Barmaid sucks, Saeko’s got better magic but that’s a physical class.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I really liked FF15 but I didn't have any expectations for it or know much about it beforehand. It's an FF game so I bought and played it and I really liked it. All the complaints about it are valid though.

Anyway Yakuza. I started playing Like a Dragon and I love it. I'm having a blast. I'm only in chapter 5 and I just unlocked jobs recently so it's nice to read the last couple pages and see what sucks and what doesn't. Right now I'm really not feeling like changing jobs for a few reasons:

1 - Almost all the jobs I unlocked are support jobs and I don't want a party of all support people

3 - I actually like everyone's default jobs because they're all focused on damage with a little healing and support here and there

If all you want to do is finish the story and possibly the first optional post game dungeon then you can just leave everyone on default until chapter 12. There’s really not a lot of benefit in the job system up until that point because of how slow they are to level, and even then you could probably finish the game without it.

Once you get to the obvious grinding location focus on foreman, fortuneteller and host on the male party members and hostess on the female party members.

Getting them up into the mid 20s in these will give them the important cross-class elemental attacks (skills with a red orb unlock permanently) and make your life easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The stat drops suck but luckily job ranks have an EXP curve that makes it very easy to catch up a new job.

Generally, most characters' best jobs are their default jobs and the most value they'll get out of other jobs is picking up a permanently-learned skill or two (the skills with red circles next to them--once you learn them, they carry over no matter what job you're in). The biggest exceptions are Adachi (whose default job is basically "Enforcer but worse" and who owns hard as an Enforcer) and Saeko (whose default job sucks so she makes a great Idol, and having a dedicated healer is very helpful later on).

Musician is pretty good and has some great buffs. Plus, "Endless Desire" is a skill you'll permanently learn and is a surprisingly long-lasting and effective full-party HP regen buff.

For right now, use the jobs you feel are most effective, even if they're default jobs. Later on it's a good idea to have people hop jobs to pick up skills with different damage types, like elemental damage or blade damage, but by the time that's important, you'll also be able to level jobs much more quickly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

History Comes Inside! posted:

If all you want to do is finish the story and possibly the first optional post game dungeon then you can just leave everyone on default until chapter 12. There’s really not a lot of benefit in the job system up until that point because of how slow they are to level, and even then you could probably finish the game without it.

Once you get to the obvious grinding location focus on foreman, fortuneteller and host on the male party members and hostess on the female party members.

Getting them up into the mid 20s in these will give them the important cross-class elemental attacks (skills with a red orb unlock permanently) and make your life easier.

Nah I'm a semi-completionist so I might not get the plat trophy but I will absolutely do as much side content as I can stomach and that's probably going to be a lot.

Thanks for the recommendations. I do plan on experimenting with some of the jobs for fun. Sometimes you find some really good skills that other people may have passed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah I'm a semi-completionist so I might not get the plat trophy but I will absolutely do as much side content as I can stomach and that's probably going to be a lot.

Thanks for the recommendations. I do plan on experimenting with some of the jobs for fun. Sometimes you find some really good skills that other people may have passed over.

The reason I say if that’s all you want to do is that the only reason to get anymore in-depth with it is the post-post game super dungeon, which needs a ton of job grinding to beat and is only really attempted by people who want the plat since beating it is the hardest trophy required.

If you’re not gonna do that then the system is almost totally an afterthought.

None of the other side content needs any job system tinkering.